Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Susan Collins to vote to confirm Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Polls at this point are pretty much worthless unless it's polls for Republican/Democrat nominees. A year or so into their runs Truman, Reagan were deeply unpopular while George Bush Sr, Jr and Carter were hugely popular according to polls.

Trump was always polling negatively and then he completely botched Covid response, had the country spiraling into oblivion and had scandal after scandal yet 70 million still voted for him.

Outside Trump the Republicans have nobody else who stands any chance of winning in 2024. The whole party hitched their ride to the Trump train and have no choice but to follow along now. Don Jr is wanted by large number of Republicans to be Trumps running mate in 2024. That says it all lol

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

That particular group just seems so utterly spiteful I'd be interested to know if there's any point at which they'd side with Biden or the Democrats. Like if Biden was opposing a newly founded pedophile party would they still not be on Biden's side in that battle. "I'd rather be a paedo than a Dem".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I don't know whether other potential Republican candidates wouldb be stronger than Trump in 2024 but more pertinently IMO he has the nuclear option of running as an independent and handing the election to the Dems. And unlike most politicians in that position, the Republicans can be sure he would actually do it if push came to shove.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm interested in discussing the presidency still, not another election. I feel like we just talked elections for the past 6 years. Break?

• Advertisement

Everyone: doesn't care about the Oscars or Will Smith

Ukraine: being invaded

FOX NEWS BREAKING ALERT: WHITE HOUSE DID NOT #CANCELWILLSMITH

Overheal: headexplode.exe

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I guess such is the speed of American democracy, the next election campaign begins the moment the incumbent takes office! That’s one thing I like about it

I certainly had no expectations POTUS who has been prioritizing Ukraine would bother to take time to watch an awards ceremony that I don't even bother to watch myself. And I watch a lot of boring ****, like confirmation hearings.

Sure but not please in the middle of public policy or tenure discussions. I get, 'US poll/survey on new infrastructure bill,' I even get 'Biden polls dipped this week,' he's the POTUS, but when there's substantive things to talk about regarding his public policy that have nothing to do with 2024, like war with Russia, or something, it becomes banal to listen to what essentially amounts to fantasy-football debates, based on current polling stats, to root for so and so in an election over 2 years away. I may also just find it absurd to make those projections for a candidate who may well face civil or criminal indictments for a number of cases before the courts, and investigations by the DOJ and Congress right now. It feels too counterfactual, in spring of 2022, to have any conception of what the election in fall of 2024 is going to look like in any form. Frankly, I'd like to discuss current public policy matters without constantly calculating or waffling about how it might effect so and so in the next general election.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Joe might be getting a personal rendition of the poem by the great man himself.

• Advertisement

Hello, hello

Just give Bono what he wants and nobody gets hurt

I'M AT A PLACE CALLED VERTIGO

alright that's out of my system.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Never, ever thought it would be a U2 song that would unite both sides on the boards US political divide.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Meanwhile Biden does what should have been done a year ago. Yeah that’s criticism of Biden

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d say there’s 3 members of U2 that would be quick to point out it was nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,152 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,361 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I can't believe John Roberts has a chance to save the legacy of his Supreme Court and he's just sitting on his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Big puffy eyes on him after he came out of the meeting, I'd say he cried like a baby in there.

He's radioactive waste to the RNC now. Quite a fall too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The other side are attacking Biden for eating a spicy pizza.

We have hit burgergate level.

Yes Putin invaded because Biden couldn't hang with jalapenos, we cracked it

I still don't wanna talk 2024 but

To add to the world of gerrymandering, Democrats just had their proposed map in NY shot down by the NY Supreme Court. You can sort of see why, but the differences are subtle, from a map-view standpoint. This is breaking news, the courts decision brief will likely be far more detailed.

So it didn't get much coverage yesterday, but the US Court of Appeals released its 288 page decision on Florida's attempt to rewrite its election laws.

The US District Judge has imposed a 10 year probation on the State of Florida from enacting new laws that affect federal elections. They found that the Florida State government disenfranchised black voters.

This case is about our sacred right to vote—won at great cost in blood and treasure. Courts have long recognized that, because “the right to exercise the franchise in a free and unimpaired manner is preservative of other basic civil and political rights, any alleged infringement of the right of citizens to vote must be carefully and meticulously scrutinized.” Reynolds v. Sims, 377 U.S. 533, 561–62 (1964). Applying that maxim, this Court must rule on the legality of Florida Senate Bill 90—a sweeping package of amendments to the Florida Election Code—that Plaintiffs challenge under the First, Fourteenth, and Fifteenth Amendments, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the Voting Rights Act (VRA). Defendants argue that SB 90 makes minor prophylactic changes to the election code. Plaintiffs , on the other hand, allege that SB 90 runs roughshod over the right to vote, unnecessarily making voting harder for all eligible Floridians, unduly burdening disabled voters, and intentionally targeting minority voters—all to improve the electoral prospects of the party in power. This Court has received thousands of pages of evidence—plus thousands more pages of briefing—and has heard two weeks’ worth of testimony from 42 witnesses, ranging from state senators to statisticians. Having reviewed all the evidence, this Court finds that, for the most part, Plaintiffs are right. Thus, as explained in detail below, this Court enjoins Defendants from enforcing most of SB 90’s challenged provisions.

[......................]

On August 28, 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his famous “I Have a Dream” speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. In its most memorable passage, he said, “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” Read Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream’ Speech in its entirety, NPR (Jan. 14, 2022, 1:53 PM), https://tinyurl.com/5n7j5cuj.

Many know and celebrate Dr. King’s speech—or at least its second half, given extemporaneously after Mahalia Jackson called on Dr. King to tell the crowd about his dream. But most do not know that, only three years later, Dr. King told NBC News “that dream that I had that day has in many points turned into a nightmare.” Kirsten West Savali, Martin Luther King Jr: “My Dream Has Turned Into a Nightmare,” The Root (Jan. 16, 2017, 1:36 PM) https://tinyurl.com/2uxm94h9.

As he explained, Dr. King had “come to see that we have many more difficulties ahead and some of the old optimism was a little superficial and now it must be tempered with a solid realism. And I think the realistic fact is that we still have a long, long way to go . . . .” Id.

Likewise, while this Court lauds the idealism of Dr. King’s dream in 1963, this Court is not so naïve to believe that the Florida Legislature would not pass an intentionally discriminatory law in 2021. We do not live in a colorblind society— not that this was ever Dr. King’s point. See Tanner Colby, Politicians have Abused Martin Luther King Jr’s Dream, The Guardian (Aug. 23, 2013), https://tinyurl.com/ycksnvpj; Donna Murch, Five Myths About Martin Luther King, The Washington Post (Jan. 15, 2016); https://tinyurl.com/36shpaez.

The evidence bears that out. In Florida, White Floridians outpace Black Floridians in almost every socioeconomic metric. In Florida, since the end of the Civil War, politicians have attacked the political rights of Black citizens. In Florida, though we have come far, “the realistic fact is that we still have a long, long way to go.” For the past 20 years, the majority in the Florida Legislature has attacked the voting rights of its Black constituents. They have done so not as, in the words of Dr. King, “vicious racists, with [the] governor having his lips dripping with the words of interposition and nullification,” but as part of a cynical effort to suppress turnout among their opponents’ supporters. That, the law does not permit.

Accordingly,

IT IS ORDERED:

1. This Court declares that § 101.69(2), Florida Statutes (2021), as amended by SB 90, is unconstitutional.

2. This Court declares that § 97.0575(3)(a), Florida Statutes (2021), as amended by SB 90, is unconstitutional.

3. This Court declares that the prohibition against “engaging in any activity with the intent to influence or effect of influencing a voter” under § 102.031(4)(a)–(b), Florida Statutes (2021), as amended by SB 90, is unconstitutional.

4. In Case No. 4:21cv187, Plaintiffs are entitled to no relief under the Americans with Disabilities Act on Count III of their amended complaint, ECF No. 45. 

5. In Case No. 4:21cv186, the Clerk shall enter judgment stating: [long]

6. In Case No. 4:21cv187, the Clerk shall enter judgment stating: [long]

7. In Case No. 4:21cv201, the Clerk shall enter judgment stating: [long]

8. In Case No. 4:21cv242, the Clerk shall enter judgment stating: [long]

9. This Order incorporates all prior rulings in this case on motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment.

10. Pursuant to 52 U.S.C. § 10302(c), this Court retains jurisdiction for a period of ten years following the date of this Order. During that time, Florida may enact no law or regulation governing 3PVROs, drop boxes, or “line warming” activities, as those terms are defined in this Order, without submitting such law or regulation for preclearance.

11. This Court also retains jurisdiction in these four cases for purposes of determining entitlement to and amount, if any, of attorneys’ fees.

12. The Clerk shall close the file.

SO ORDERED on March 31, 2022. s/Mark E. Walker Chief United States District Judge

Post edited by Overheal on

• Advertisement

Jen Psaki is heading off to host a new show on MSNBC it seems.

She will fit in well there, maybe she could take over from that loon Rachel Maddow.

Maybe she will write a book to cash in on her time in the limelight.

Its all about the money, show me the money $$$$$.

Advertisement