Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,204 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Water John wrote: »
    Everything dramatically improved in the last month.

Fixed your post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Relations between the US and ourselves have dramatically improved in the last month.

What happened during the Trump term?

The threat of taking back US multinationals never materialised, another failed promise by Trump.

This is a popular policy in America. I could be wrong but I seem to remember Biden supporting such a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,998 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Relations must be quite sour between the two countries as so many want him to go and can't envisage him skipping it for a year.

There has never been a time when the trip to Washington was 'necessary' as a consequence of poor relations, and that isn't the case now either.

It is an opportunity for a private meeting with the holder of the most powerful office in the world, someone who is very proud of their Irish heritage and could very possibly be their first meeting with a foreign leader since they came in to office.

It maintains the good relationship there already is between the countries and that is nothing but a good thing.

Not that you have said it, but for those who might be thinking it, it is nothing like someone wanting to go off to the canaries for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What happened during the Trump term?

The threat of taking back US multinationals never materialised, another failed promise by Trump.

This is a popular policy in America. I could be wrong but I seem to remember Biden supporting such a move.

Not going to debate this nonsense.
    Since this a Biden Presidency thread here's what he's doing today;
    ' today president Joe Biden and vice president Kamala Harris will be meeting senators – from both parties it appears – to discuss the need to invest in infrastructure at 10am. Transportation secretary Pete Buttigieg will be dialling in virtually for that.

Later on the president receives his daily brief at 11.15am, then visits Viral Pathogenesis Laboratory at the National Institutes of Health. He’ll deliver remarks to staff there at 4.30pm EST.'

Not going to debate this nonsense.
    Since this a Biden Presidency thread here's what he's doing today;
    ' today president Joe Biden and vice president Kamala Harris will be meeting senators – from both parties it appears – to discuss the need to invest in infrastructure at 10am. Transportation secretary Pete Buttigieg will be dialling in virtually for that.

Later on the president receives his daily brief at 11.15am, then visits Viral Pathogenesis Laboratory at the National Institutes of Health. He’ll deliver remarks to staff there at 4.30pm EST.'

Frankly that is a weird reply.

There has never been a time when the trip to Washington was 'necessary' as a consequence of poor relations, and that isn't the case now either.

It is an opportunity for a private meeting with the holder of the most powerful office in the world, someone who is very proud of their Irish heritage and could very possibly be their first meeting with a foreign leader since they came in to office.

It maintains the good relationship there already is between the countries and that is nothing but a good thing.

Not that you have said it, but for those who might be thinking it, it is nothing like someone wanting to go off to the canaries for a week.

So if our relations aren't bad, then it can wait a year.

That's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Frankly that is a weird reply.

I know. After 4 years it is pretty weird to see the President actually working.

ollkiller wrote: »
    I know. After 4 years it is pretty weird to see the President actually working.

It's similar to a Trump nutter reply tbh. I don't see much difference.

So if our relations aren't bad, then it can wait a year.

That's the point.

We gain more by having it, than by postponing it.
    Biden and Martin are both being tested daily and Martin would travel on the Government jet.

It should absolutely go ahead as long as the message is that it is safe, streamlined and not a junket. If either party wants to cancel, it should be done via a joint statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Biden and Martin are both being tested daily and Martin would travel on the Government jet.

It should absolutely go ahead as long as the message is that it is safe, streamlined and not a junket. If either party wants to cancel, it should be done via a joint statement.

I actually think Martin should not go and make a big show of not going, I’m sure the Biden administration would happily accommodate making a show of we’re not doing this this year but the bond remains strong etc. Why that poster is trying to make a deal of it in here is beyond me.

We have nothing to gain from it. It will be held next year and the sky won't fall in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

We have nothing to gain from it. It will be held next year and the sky won't fall in.

What have we got to lose from it?

Of course we have something to gain. 1st off, you don't want to easily give up this annual event. If it can be cancelled once, it can be cancelled again.

2nd, it keeps Ireland in the media over in the US, which feeds into the US diaspora and hopefully aid in getting future FDI.

What is your issue with it going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Leroy42 wrote: »

Of course we have something to gain. 1st off, you don't want to easily give up this annual event. If it can be cancelled once, it can be cancelled again.

2nd, it keeps Ireland in the media over in the US, which feeds into the US diaspora and hopefully aid in getting future FDI.

Its terrible optics and smacks of the whole Oireachtas GolfGate affair, enough people are already fed up of lockdown without seeing politicians jetting off to Washington for a dinner party and afternoon tea. No matter how subdued and scaled down it is, that is how it will be viewed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Its terrible optics and smacks of the whole Oireachtas GolfGate affair, enough people are already fed up of lockdown without seeing politicians jetting off to Washington for a dinner party and afternoon tea. No matter how subdued and scaled down it is, that is how it will be viewed.

Yeah, probably from the same gobshìtes that hold weekly "anti mask" protests.ouyside the GPO.

salmocab wrote: »
    I actually think Martin should not go and make a big show of not going, I’m sure the Biden administration would happily accommodate making a show of we’re not doing this this year but the bond remains strong etc. Why that poster is trying to make a deal of it in here is beyond me.

Some Irish people would give their lives for America.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Yeah, probably from the same gobshìtes that hold weekly "anti mask" protests.ouyside the GPO.

And many ordinary people who have had nearly a year of lockdowns and are happy to do their bit, but seeing politicians having a rules for thee not for me attitude undermines the whole we're in this together message.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    And many ordinary people who have had nearly a year of lockdowns and are happy to do their bit, but seeing politicians having a rules for thee not for me attitude undermines the whole we're in this together message.

Meh, there's a thread dedicated to this subject I don't really see what it has to do with Biden.

The shamrock ceremony receives virtually no media coverage in America.

If it's cancelled again, then you have little faith in America.

The people who were most critical of Trump and covid seem to support this visit the most.

I'm beginning to wonder if they cared about covid at all.

Wait, is that near 300 post long, less than 2 week old thread just about whether the Taoiseach does or does not have the annual Patrick's Day to America? Bloody hell.

Well MM is on CNN now so the US does listen to our Taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m not sure what your talking about but for someone that if I remember correctly was in here wondering why people are interested in American politics your very interested in what’s going on in America.
    I personally think there would be some good come from both sides saying now is not the time but etc etc. Really though it’s an issue here for MM and our government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The ones that haven't been there beyond a vacation. The naiveté I see when talking with the locals about life in the USA is shocking. The ones who left and came back, don't want to go again to the USA except on holiday.

My US friends and relatives all want to move here. Irish need to cop on about life in the USA. It wasn't great 4 years ago, and it's way worse now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Igotadose wrote: »
    My US friends and relatives all want to move here. Irish need to cop on about life in the USA. It wasn't great 4 years ago, and it's way worse now.

I think it all depends on the area I think.

I was in SF back in October 2019. Seriously, what a sh1thole. My missus asked could we leave after two days. She'd had enough.

We left SF and went to the Napa Valley and it was like a different planet up there. Until the fires that happened the week after we left.

I had a green card years ago and let it lapse. I didn't like living over there so I came home. Best thing I ever did.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think it all depends on the area I think.

I was in SF back in October 2019. Seriously, what a sh1thole. My missus asked could we leave after two days. She'd had enough.

We left SF and went to the Napa Valley and it was like a different planet up there. Until the fires that happened the week after we left.

I had a green card years ago and let it lapse. I didn't like living over there so I came home. Best thing I ever did.

If one had a choice of countries, I am not sure why any emigrant would pick the US? We limit ourselves to english speaking countries which is unfortunate. I would go to Canada or New Zealand. It's about the people and how you're treated if you fall through the cracks. The US fails on both, though I hope Biden/Harris improve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

If one had a choice of countries, I am not sure why any emigrant would pick the US? We limit ourselves to english speaking countries which is unfortunate. I would go to Canada or New Zealand. It's about the people and how you're treated if you fall through the cracks. The US fails on both, though I hope Biden/Harris improve it.

You must be a fluent in Canadian and Kiwi...:rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Munstersrebel

Embarrassing moments 0

Errr there was the moment he was given a virtual tour of some sort of medical facility and kept asking if the nurse was a freshwoman.

But yea that's like super minimal compared to the Seditious one's gafs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

President Biden had a 2 hour phone conversation with Xi Jinping. Afterwards he spoke about how China are steaming along with rail and infrastructure projects.

"President Biden warned that China will "eat our lunch" on Thursday after speaking with Chinese President Xi Jinping for the first time Wednesday night since becoming president – a sentiment that seemed to contradict some of his statements on the campaign trail"

China are slowly but steadily closing in on becoming the world's most powerful economy. Careful management is needed to ensure the United states remains world leader for the foreseeable future.

President Biden had a 2 hour phone conversation with Xi Jinping. Afterwards he spoke about how China are steaming along with rail and infrastructure projects.

"President Biden warned that China will "eat our lunch" on Thursday after speaking with Chinese President Xi Jinping for the first time Wednesday night since becoming president – a sentiment that seemed to contradict some of his statements on the campaign trail"

China are slowly but steadily closing in on becoming the world's most powerful economy. Careful management is needed to ensure the United states remains world leader for the foreseeable future.

Didn't want to quote the source because it's Fox eh?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/biden-china-economic-threat-xi-jinping-campaign-2019

And yes, as always, a Trumpist has quoted something incorrectly in order to make Biden look bad.

What he actually said was "...if we don't get moving they're going to eat our lunch", which is no way contradicts what he said on the campaign trail. Because he is going to get moving. Because he's not Trump.

Also, you have "accidentally" forgotten to include the context. The quote from Biden today was made during a discussion about infrastructure, whereas his statements on the campaign trail were more general.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/biden-says-china-to-eat-our-lunch-without-infrastructure-plan

At least this time you have only misquoted something rather than both completing making stuff up about Biden as well as misquoting. That's an improvement at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/11/biden-raises-taiwan-tensions-and-human-rights-with-xi-jinping-in-first-phone-call?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Also on that call

A White House account of the conversation said Biden also raised the crackdown in Hong Kong and human rights abuses in Xinjiang, and China’s “increasingly assertive actions in the region”. They also discussed global health security, climate change, and preventing weapons proliferation, the White House said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Careful management is needed to ensure the United states remains world leader for the foreseeable future.

Well unfortunately, America is on the downward slope.

When they do things well, they do things well.

Unfortunately, when the Federal Government is involved, it is always over budget, late and not fit for purpose.

There is too many squabbles going on in Government. It is too bloated by far. The fact that America is being diverted away from helping itself maintain its position as the World Leader by silly politics.

Democrat, Republican whatever... it needs to change and will not change. Too many people not making decisions and letting the place go to ruin.

It is still the easiest country to make a living in. It is a fantastic country to work in. Yet, it's infrastructure is appalling. Roads are falling apart, Bridges falling apart, Mass unemployment, manufacturing output falling, yet what politician is looking at and trying to assist in returning people to work, making sure that infrastructure is built for the future needs??? No one!!!

• Advertisement

Did joe ask Xi to help him get re-elected by any chance?

NSAman wrote: »

Unfortunately, when the Federal Government is involved, it is always over budget, late and not fit for purpose.

There is too many squabbles going on in Government. It is too bloated by far. The fact that America is being diverted away from helping itself maintain its position as the World Leader by silly politics.

Democrat, Republican whatever... it needs to change and will not change. Too many people not making decisions and letting the place go to ruin.

It is still the easiest country to make a living in. It is a fantastic country to work in. Yet, it's infrastructure is appalling. Roads are falling apart, Bridges falling apart, Mass unemployment, manufacturing output falling, yet what politician is looking at and trying to assist in returning people to work, making sure that infrastructure is built for the future needs??? No one!!!

And we know the Republican supposed ideal is less Federal Government.

Why then are Blue States by and large less reliant on Federal Funds and have greater Economic output than Red States.

The Federal government is responsible for Interstate Roads, everything else is the responsibility of those within each state. Mass unemployment? I presume you are referring to post Covid? Prior to that, it was close to what is generally taken as an optimum level.

Biden held a meeting today with the Secretary of Transportation only today.

Link
    The President, Vice President, Secretary, and Senators established the mutual understanding that America needs to build new infrastructure across urban and rural areas and create millions of good-paying jobs in the process to support the country’s economic recovery in the months and years ahead.

Is this not exactly what you are looking for?

I visited America twice years back. I can remember driving through areas where you might have thought you had been transported to a third world country. Boarded up houses, broken roads, piles of litter etc.
    But it is such a vast place and in many areas the have and the have nots difference is astounding

Biden held a meeting today with the Secretary of Transportation only today.

Let's see how long before they can put a cogent plan together.

If you check on the Blue states private investment in roads (in the main tolled) are what is causing things to be built. Some Federal monies, some state, but mostly privately financed.

I do not care what party anyone is (frankly i never trust any politician as when their mouths are open they are lying) the fiasco that is US politics today, is taking away from the maintenance of the country.

The US is on the slide, living here you can see it in every facet of day to day life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Maybe if they put less importance on making it easy for certain groups of people to make money and more on makings the roads better, education, health care etc it might to a bit better.

Maybe if they put less importance on making it easy for certain groups of people to make money and more on makings the roads better, education, health care etc it might to a bit better.

Perhaps if they went back to basics and had back to work programs like they had in the 30's it would be better for the whole USA.

Investment on a monumental scale is needed in the USA.

Many parts of the country rely on "fast" internet that gives less than 10mb download speeds......

Just a small example of how BAD things are across the USA.

They have the manpower (sorry people power) they have a willing workforce, what these people need are jobs.

Let's see how long before they can put a cogent plan together.

If you check on the Blue states private investment in roads (in the main tolled) are what is causing things to be built. Some Federal monies, some state, but mostly privately financed.

I do not care what party anyone is (frankly i never trust any politician as when their mouths are open they are lying) the fiasco that is US politics today, is taking away from the maintenance of the country.

The US is on the slide, living here you can see it in every facet of day to day life.

I am living in US also, but only for a couple of years.

What do you mean things are on the slide? Over a 5, 10, 20, 40 year picture?

9/11 obviously rocked things and the focus was on the military for a couple of years. Then the financial crash happened and things tumbled once again but in economic and employment terms things improved at a consistent rate since about 09 until 12 months ago.

What have you in mind when say it is on the slide and you can see it every day?
    (I'm a tad underwhelmed at the level of education I have seen in some respects and believe that Healthcare is quite a fiasco for it to be so unattainable for many and expensive for all. Job benefits in terms of job security, paid time off etc are miles behind what they are in Ireland but I suspect this has always been the case.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Cody montana

9/11 obviously rocked things and the focus was on the military for a couple of years. Then the financial crash happened and things tumbled once again but in economic and employment terms things improved at a consistent rate since about 09 until 12 months ago.

(I'm a tad underwhelmed at the level of education I have seen in some respects and believe that Healthcare is quite a fiasco for it to be so unattainable for many and expensive for all. Job benefits in terms of job security, paid time off etc are miles behind what they are in Ireland but I suspect this has always been the case.)

I'll throw out a few things.

28 trillion debt
    Mass shootings and limited gun control
    Cult like following of politicians.
    Electing Qanon maniacs and conspiracy theorists to congress
    Insurrection

• Advertisement

I'll throw out a few things.

28 trillion debt
    Mass shootings and limited gun control
    Cult like following of politicians.
    Electing Qanon maniacs and conspiracy theorists to congress
    Insurrection

Dont Japan, Greece, Italy, Portugal and a few others have a higher debt to gdp ratio than the United states?

(I'm a tad underwhelmed at the level of education I have seen in some respects) and believe that Healthcare is quite a fiasco for it to be so unattainable for many and expensive for all. Job benefits in terms of job security, paid time off etc are miles behind what they are in Ireland but I suspect this has always been the case.

Education levels are absolutely abysmal. I know in my own area, those kids that have smart parents are being home-schooled. Despite teachers trying their best, the curriculum is just so bad and being cut on a yearly basis. Yet, the school superintendents salaries seem to increase exponentially. Crazy stuff. What really brought it home to me with the difference in Children, was having an event (cultural) with kids participating. Home schooled kids were absolutely streets ahead of the kids going to regular schools.

The Health system (and I am not fan pre-or-post Obamacare) has literally been made totally inaccessible for Many middle Americans due to Obama Care. Insurance companies left markets, ruining competition and pushing prices through the roof. I know in my own area there used to be 5 operators, this disappeared to 1.

Workers in many states have zero rights. As an employer and also as someone from Europe, I am always shocked by how quickly an employee can be terminated. In my own businesses, I have only fired 3 people. All 3 were given warnings and basically did nothing. Usually, its "sorry pack your things, you are fired". My own businesses work on many European Principles which is why my staff stay with me, no one in this area treats their staff like we do.

In all honesty, all you have to do is drive any freeway, look at the bridges. I am not sure what area you live in, I am in Mid-west, the level of neglect by the State and Federal govts in relation to Bridges is shocking. Granted there are Trophy Projects being built, but what of the thousands of overpasses that are disintegrating?

As I said, when they do it right they do it right... e.g. I-90 from Rockford to Chicago.. Bridges Demolished and rebuilt (something like 50), New road Widened 2 lanes to 4 lanes either side), Speed limit increased, lit the whole way 70 miles.... All in under 2 years..... but Tollway. It can be done but private operators are involved. (Naas dual Carriageway between Naas and Newbridge take note)

Work outside the major cities, Internet is non-existent for many. Kids leave hometowns and never go back, hometowns are dying.

During the past 12 years I have seen certain parts of cities developed. Beautifully so, however, the planning of such development is often stymied by the local government officials due to the "friends and old boys networks" leaving beautiful developed areas to die as local government interests take priority over general population interests.... (not gonna call it corruption but it is)

Sorry, I love living here, I have a great life. BUT..... so much of what should be done in the States and is NOT done.... leaves me feeling frustrated.

Dont Japan, Greece, Italy, Portugal and a few others have a higher debt to gdp ratio than the United states?

So USA don't have 28 TRILLION debt?
    The topic of debate is America, not the above.

So USA don't have 28 TRILLION debt?
    The topic of debate is America, not the above.

They do yes. But on an international comparative scale they are nowhere near the worst.
    Typing in caps lock makes no difference.

Almost every country has debt. Some more than others

Also the death rate per million people from mass public shootings in the years 2009-2015 inclusive put the United states in 11th position.
    As per the FEE (Foundation for economic education)

They do yes. But on an international comparative scale they are nowhere near the worst.

No country has that much debt.

• Advertisement

No country has that much debt.

No other country has a gdp of 22 trillion a year either.

You are getting confused.

Also the death rate per million people from mass public shootings in the years 2009-2015 inclusive put the United states in 11th position.

Care to list the ten previous to the USA or link to where you got this data?

Care to list the ten previous to the USA or link to where you got this data?

I wrote where I got the data in the post. Link anyway

https://fee.org/articles/the-myth-that-the-us-leads-the-world-in-mass-shootings/

And what about gun deaths in general? Do you notice anything in common about the countries above it?

V3qsSyc.png

Here is the data you should be looking at.

495px-2010_homicide_suicide_rates_high-income_countries.png

Education levels are absolutely abysmal. I know in my own area, those kids that have smart parents are being home-schooled. Despite teachers trying their best, the curriculum is just so bad and being cut on a yearly basis. Yet, the school superintendents salaries seem to increase exponentially. Crazy stuff. What really brought it home to me with the difference in Children, was having an event (cultural) with kids participating. Home schooled kids were absolutely streets ahead of the kids going to regular schools.

The Health system (and I am not fan pre-or-post Obamacare) has literally been made totally inaccessible for Many middle Americans due to Obama Care. Insurance companies left markets, ruining competition and pushing prices through the roof. I know in my own area there used to be 5 operators, this disappeared to 1.

Workers in many states have zero rights. As an employer and also as someone from Europe, I am always shocked by how quickly an employee can be terminated. In my own businesses, I have only fired 3 people. All 3 were given warnings and basically did nothing. Usually, its "sorry pack your things, you are fired". My own businesses work on many European Principles which is why my staff stay with me, no one in this area treats their staff like we do.

In all honesty, all you have to do is drive any freeway, look at the bridges. I am not sure what area you live in, I am in Mid-west, the level of neglect by the State and Federal govts in relation to Bridges is shocking. Granted there are Trophy Projects being built, but what of the thousands of overpasses that are disintegrating?

As I said, when they do it right they do it right... e.g. I-90 from Rockford to Chicago.. Bridges Demolished and rebuilt (something like 50), New road Widened 2 lanes to 4 lanes either side), Speed limit increased, lit the whole way 70 miles.... All in under 2 years..... but Tollway. It can be done but private operators are involved. (Naas dual Carriageway between Naas and Newbridge take note)

Work outside the major cities, Internet is non-existent for many. Kids leave hometowns and never go back, hometowns are dying.

During the past 12 years I have seen certain parts of cities developed. Beautifully so, however, the planning of such development is often stymied by the local government officials due to the "friends and old boys networks" leaving beautiful developed areas to die as local government interests take priority over general population interests.... (not gonna call it corruption but it is)

Sorry, I love living here, I have a great life. BUT..... so much of what should be done in the States and is NOT done.... leaves me feeling frustrated.

See, I'd read that and I'd say that this is where a Federal Government should be providing an overarching structure or philosophy which is implemented on a state by state level as appropriate rather than saying that the federal government should stay out of things and let states decide what to focus on themselves (Which you haven't specifically said).

By all means, let them prioritise and do things in a way which best suits their local preference, but let them do so within a largely federal framework or understanding.

• Advertisement
Advertisement