Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

And what about gun deaths in general? Do you notice anything in common about the countries above it?

V3qsSyc.png

Here is the data you should be looking at.

495px-2010_homicide_suicide_rates_high-income_countries.png

Does that chart say that Ireland has about the 2nd or 3rd highest homicide rate by firearm per 100,000 out of all high income countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Even a cursory review of the findings shows major issues with the statistics used, how they complied, not taking account of frequency over size and where the author gets funding.

But all of that is academic. The US has a very serious issue with guns, gun control and shootings. To argue that only being 11th worst in the world is exactly the same argument that Trump used about Covid.

'Hey, we aren't the absolute worst so what are you complaining about?'

Before one can deal with a problem one needs to acknowledge it exists.

Does that chart say that Ireland has about the 2nd or 3rd highest homicide rate by firearm per 100,000 out of all high income countries?

Yes, in 2010 at least. Data is from here.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26551975/

And here is the table.
    7DUdrXS.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

You gotta love these types of mashups, pretty sure someone here is keeping count..

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1359961152336220165?s=19

Obama and EOs... He's not a king

Trump and EOs... He is the best, you go tiger

Biden and EOs... What the hell is he doing, he's not a king!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

495px-2010_homicide_suicide_rates_high-income_countries.png

Ireland on higher end (relatively) of homicides there which is surprising to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Yes, in 2010 at least. Data is from here.
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26551975/

And here is the table.
    7DUdrXS.png

It appears you are correct and my source is flawed and has cooked the numbers

It appears you are correct and my source is flawed and has cooked the numbers

Your source is not wrong, we are talking about different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

No other country has a gdp of 22 trillion a year either.

You are getting confused.
    https://countryeconomy.com/deficit

Set it to 'deficit (%GDP)' and take a look at the list of countries higher than the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Ireland on higher end (relatively) of homicides there which is surprising to me.

At first glance it is surprising, but the amount of gangland killings when compared to our population, it then kind of makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newhouse87

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,204 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

newhouse87 wrote: »

Have we given up on taking swings at Joe Biden and are now content with lashing out at someone else entirely?

Have we absolutely nothing negative to say about Biden in a thread dedicated to commentary on his presidency?

What a ringing endorsement of 46!

everlast75 wrote: »
    Have we given up on taking swings at Joe Biden and are now content with lashing out at someone else entirely?

Have we absolutely nothing negative to say about Biden in a thread dedicated to commentary on his presidency?

What a ringing endorsement of 46!

Point me to one post where i criticized Biden? I have repeatedly said i rather Biden to trump and any current republican even though i would consider myself conservative, just because i criticized a dem correctly you jump to conclusions, you need to calm down its 9am. Again deflection from the actual post of the disgraceful behavior of Cuomo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Point me to one post where i criticized Biden? I have repeatedly said i rather Biden to trump and any current republican even though i would consider myself conservative, just because i criticized a dem correctly you jump to conclusions, you need to calm down its 9am. Again deflection from the actual post of the disgraceful behavior of Cuomo.

what is the relevancy of cuomo to a thread on Biden?

My point is, and you have completely missed it, is that this is a thread about Biden.

^^^^^
    See the title up there?

Posters in here have been trying to post negative comment and embarrassed themselves in the process.

What appears to be happening now is that you have posted something negative about Cuomo... in Biden's thread.

You see the issue?

My point is, and you have completely missed it, is that this is a thread about Biden.

^^^^^
    See the title up there?

Posters in here have been trying to post negative comment and embarrassed themselves in the process.

What appears to be happening now is that you have posted something negative about Cuomo... in Biden's thread.

You see the issue?

Yes and you have missed my point , i was hoping the Biden admin DOJ will investigate. Would you not think it warrants further investigation?

what is the relevancy of cuomo to a thread on Biden?

DOJ should be investigating, all part of bidens admin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭quokula

DOJ should be investigating, all part of bidens admin.

Depends what actually happened. The only source of a cover up is some right wing rags with no interest in reporting truthfully, reporting what they say some low level junior staffer said.

If you look at the original reports from AP and the like, it suggests that there were simply delays and confusion in data coming out of nursing homes.

The crux of it is that Cuomo wrongly directed that covid patients be released back from hospitals to nursing homes after 9 days, when they could have still been infectious. But this was actually a federal directive at the time which the state simply followed. They reversed the directive in May.

It's easy to forget how much less knowledge there was about the virus at that time, and how completely swamped hospitals were in New York, with tough on the spot decisions needing to be made.

The right wing rags and the Republicans will of course want to turn this into a political football, but if they start reexamining decisions political leaders made in the early days of the pandemic, it's not the Dems that will end up looking bad. Even Cuomo's big sin was just following what came down from a federal level.

quokula wrote: »
    Depends what actually happened. The only source of a cover up is some right wing rags with no interest in reporting truthfully, reporting what they say some low level junior staffer said.

If you look at the original reports from AP and the like, it suggests that there were simply delays and confusion in data coming out of nursing homes.

The crux of it is that Cuomo wrongly directed that covid patients be released back from hospitals to nursing homes after 9 days, when they could have still been infectious. But this was actually a federal directive at the time which the state simply followed. They reversed the directive in May.

It's easy to forget how much less knowledge there was about the virus at that time, and how completely swamped hospitals were in New York, with tough on the spot decisions needing to be made.

The right wing rags and the Republicans will of course want to turn this into a political football, but if they start reexamining decisions political leaders made in the early days of the pandemic, it's not the Dems that will end up looking bad. Even Cuomo's big sin was just following what came down from a federal level.

A TOP aide said they essentially froze the data, im saying the DOJ should at least investigate, thats all, im not expecting any comment from Biden just a DOJ investigation, don't think that's asking for too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭listermint

A junior aide said they essentially froze the data, im saying the DOJ should at least investigate, thats all, im not expecting any comment from Biden just a DOJ investigation, don't think that's asking for too much.

No

You said the DOJ should investigate all parts of the Biden Admin.

That's bizarre. Why why would they need to do that.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    No

You said the DOJ should investigate all parts of the Biden Admin.

That's bizarre. Why why would they need to do that.
    What ?you misunderstood me. I never said that, i said bidens admin DOJ should investigate Cuomo's handling of the pandemic data.

A junior aide said they essentially froze the data, im saying the DOJ should at least investigate, thats all, im not expecting any comment from Biden just a DOJ investigation, don't think that's asking for too much.

According to the New York Post. Have they found Hunter Biden's laptop yet?

There already has been an investigation at state level. Here's the actual report if you're interested in facts:

https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/2021-nursinghomesreport-final.pdf

What ?you misunderstood me. I never said that, i said bidens admin DOJ should investigate Cuomo's handling of the pandemic data.

Quokola

Has quoted you to a T on this very page above.

You did say that. They are your words.

According to the New York Post. Have they found Hunter Biden's laptop yet?

There already has been an investigation at state level. Here's the actual report if you're interested in facts:

https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/2021-nursinghomesreport-final.pdf

Ah back to deflection, i will not engage in deflection tactics.

Quokola

Has quoted you to a T on this very page above.

You did say that. They are your words.

You are wrong, highlight my exact words where i said the DOJ should investigate bidens admin? Ah i see twisting it, i meant and others knew it, the DOJ is all part of bidens admin, bad when you have to twist things like that.

Ah back to deflection, i will not engage in deflection tactics.

If the only source that exists for a story is a source that consistently lies to further a specific agenda, it's not deflection to point that out.

And it's definitely not deflection to link to the outcome of an actual thorough court-led investigation that has already happened into the thing you want there to be an investigation of.

• Advertisement

If the only source that exists for a story is a source that consistently lies to further a specific agenda, it's not deflection to point that out.

And it's definitely not deflection to link to the outcome of an actual thorough court-led investigation that has already happened into the thing you want there to be an investigation of.

Are you saying cuomos aide didn't say they froze the data? Some NY dems are calling for an investigation too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,538 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are you saying cuomos aide didn't say they froze the data? Some NY dems are calling for an investigation too.

there has already been a state investigation. you dismissed it as deflection.

You are wrong, highlight my exact words where i said the DOJ should investigate bidens admin? Ah i see twisting it, i meant and others knew it, the DOJ is all part of bidens admin, bad when you have to twist things like that.

Twist things ?

Your words were quoted word for word. There's no other interpretation.

You said DOJ should investigate all of bidens Admin. That's what you said. There's no twisting. The fact you said twice you didn't say it. Then you found the quote and said oh no your twisting me words . Is laughable.

If you don't want people to read your words in another way that what the words actually mean..I suggest taking a moment to read over your typing prior to hitting the post button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Twist things ?

You said DOJ should investigate all of bidens Admin. That's what you said. There's no twisting. The fact you said twice you didn't say it. Then you found the quote and said oh no your twisting me words . Is laughable.

If you don't want people to read your words in another way that what the words actually mean..I suggest taking a moment to read over your typing prior to hitting the post button.

There is a comma. and no plural on part

DOJ should be investigating, all part of Bidens admin.

Can be read as: DOJ should be investigating - and it is relevent to the Biden thread as they are a part of the Biden administration.

There is a comma. and no plural on part

DOJ should be investigating, all part of Bidens admin.

Can be read as: DOJ should be investigating - and it is relevent to the Biden thread as they are a part of the Biden administration.

Fair point.

• Advertisement

Twist things ?

you missed the comma in the sentence or maybe you just don't understand punctuation, all other posters who i disagree with knew what it meant, you are twisting and deflecting, it is laughable alright.

Fair point.
    Apology?

Deflection about the Biden laptop. A DOJ investigation should be had about Cuomos handling of the pandemic.

Fair point.

Anything listermint as you completely mis-represented me here and called it bizarre which would have been bizarre what you said i was asking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Deflection about the Biden laptop.

That comment was clearly to highlight how unreliable a source the Post is, you're the only one crying about so-called deflection.

That comment was clearly to highlight how unreliable a source the Post is, you're the only one crying about so-called deflection.

Nobody has answered whether they think the DOJ should investigate cuomo for withholding data, it has all been deflection and 1 poster completely misrepresented my post. Are you saying the top aide didn't say these things?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

you missed the comma in the sentence or maybe you just don't understand punctuation, all other posters who i disagree with knew what it meant, you are twisting and deflecting, it is laughable alright.

You're using commas as full stops repeatedly, even in this post, while criticising others for not understanding punctuation? While another poster might have missed one of your commas, it's hard to blame them when they're not being used correctly.

(And before anyone gets all sensitive, I'm only mentioning it because it's become the crux of an argument)

You're using commas as full stops repeatedly, even in this post, while criticising others for not understanding punctuation? While another poster might have missed one of your commas, it's hard to blame them when they're not being used correctly.

(And before anyone gets all sensitive, I'm only mentioning it because it's become the crux of an argument)

Genuine question so. Did you think i meant the DOJ should investigate bidens admin? I think my use of commas is ok BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Genuine question so. Did you think i meant the DOJ should investigate bidens admin?

Sorry, I saw the latest page first so was actually working backwards through the conversation. It did seem out of kilter with your other posts though.

Nobody has answered whether they think the DOJ should investigate cuomo for withholding data, it has all been deflection and 1 poster completely misrepresented my post. Are you saying the top aide didn't say these things?

You must have missed this post.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I saw the latest page first so was actually working backwards through the conversation. It did seem out of kilter with your other posts though.

OK ,but in that particular post listermint totally mis-represented my point and failed to apologize. I have been wrong on boards before and apologized. Its just decency to acknowledge being wrong.

You must have missed this post.

A DOJ investigation i am asking for, i missed nothing.

A DOJ investigation i am asking for, i missed nothing.

Why? Do you not trust that the NY Attorney General's office carried out a thorough investigation already?

Your some man to be telling people what they can and can't post.

Why don't you remind everyone why you got banned from the Donald trump thread?

Because I got tired of the completely disingenuous bullsh1t being posted over there by some and called people on it.

Why? Do you not trust that the NY Attorney General's office carried out a thorough investigation already?

Would you not think it better that the DOJ investigates, i don't like the idea of a state investigating itself.

Because I got tired of the completely disingenuous bullsh1t being posted over there by some and called people on it.

Would you call what listermint done to my post disingenuous?

Anyway as usual no answers to genuine questions or apologies for falsehoods, just deflection and misrepresentation .Enjoy the weekend lads. A lot like the capitol insurrectionists here, only one side, no objective mind. Some of us can see when dems and reps do wrong, but hey its a bit much too expect a person to make their own mind up on things i guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Anyway as usual no answers to genuine questions or apologies for falsehoods, just deflection and misrepresentation .Enjoy the weekend lads. A lot like the capitol insurrectionists here, only one side, no objective mind. Some of us can see when dems and reps do wrong, but hey its a bit much to expect a person to make their own mind up on things i guess.

That's an extreme false equivalency, are you saying the democrats had something to so with the insurrection on the 6th? If so, please post facts

Just going back to my post about EOs, is it literally a sh!t talking point from Fox when the Dem POTUS uses it it's bad and when a republican POTUS does it's fine?

• Advertisement

Anyway as usual no answers to genuine questions or apologies for falsehoods, just deflection and misrepresentation .Enjoy the weekend lads. A lot like the capitol insurrectionists here, only one side, no objective mind. Some of us can see when dems and reps do wrong, but hey its a bit much too expect a person to make their own mind up on things i guess.

You really want your pound of flesh? In your mind there is no way the poster could of just missed the comma in your post. When the poster had your post explained they conceded their point, take the "fair point" post as your apology and move on.

Advertisement