Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Tips is a culture which now mostly benefits the business owner, they get to keep their prices artificially low knowing that the responsibility is directly put on the customers shoulders to effectively pay the staff directly.
    The staff, obviously aware of this, adjust their behaviour accordingly, with the fake smile and faux interest immediately switched off once a cheque is paid.
    And many customers apparently take advantage of the fact that they might only be in this particular establishment once while in town or whatever, and so don't tip.
    The company I am working for, doesn't reimburse tips as part of their expenses and some people who are travelling for work use this as an excuse not to tip.

Saw someone comment online earlier today that when they worked at a fast food outlet several years ago, a particular meal combo was $4.50 and the min-hourly wage was $6 something. Now, that same meal has increased to $9.20, and the min wage has increased to only $7.25

It's always made me a little uncomfortable when eating out in the states, not because I don't want to tip but because I know the person is expecting it and feels the need to impress to get it. I want to tell them "Look, unless you piss in my soup you're getting the 20% tip, so relax".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

An unintentional error I'm sure...see how easy it can happen. But no, it's fraud!

They literally added a blue check and modified dates using photoshop.

Modified a date from 2020 to 2021 to make it look like it was made in the days leading up to the attack on the capital rather than the previous year.

Tipping culture is an absolute piss-take - glorified exploitation.

I went for a few drinks and a bite to eat over there a couple of years ago and there was one woman running the bar and waiting on tables. She didn't have time to draw breath.

It was so bad that I had to help her out behind the bar.

I asked her where the other staff were. She started laughing and said it was normal for one person to run the whole lot, although that night was a bit busier than usual.

This woman had two jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,263 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tipping culture is an absolute piss-take - glorified exploitation.

I went for a few drinks and a bite to eat over there a couple of years ago and there was one woman running the bar and waiting on tables. She didn't have time to draw breath.

It was so bad that I had to help her out behind the bar.

I asked her where the other staff were. She started laughing and said it was normal for one person to run the whole lot, although that night was a bit busier than usual.

This woman had two jobs.
    If it's like that in America, imagine what it would be like in Mexico.
    North America is seriously screwed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

They literally added a blue check and modified dates using photoshop.

Modified a date from 2020 to 2021 to make it look like it was made in the days leading up to the attack on the capital rather than the previous year.

No one too quick to defend them on this one I see.

These dates were altered that can not be disputed.

If you print from a screen or screenshot from a screen there will not be discrepancies.

These dates were altered 100 percent.

No one too quick to defend them on this one I see.

These dates were altered that can not be disputed.

If you print from a screen or screenshot from a screen there will not be discrepancies.

These dates were altered 100 percent.
    To sum up what it's about:

Trump's attorney got angry at the newscaster for asking to clarify what piece of evidence it was that he was suggesting was doctored.

The piece of evidence he was referring to was a retweet of someone's tweet by Trump and a tweet by that same person thanking Trump for the retweet. Since Trump's tweets cannot be accessed, they have to be recreated. In an image used in the New York Times, both a wrong year and a verified blue checkmark were incorrectly used for that person's tweets. This was very obviously an unintentional mistake as the title of the slide in that picture has the correct year and it is likely to have been caused by a graphic designer using a template and forgetting to change that template for this tweet.

When this evidence was then eventually used during court proceedings, the prosecution had noticed and fixed the incorrect year by then, but seemed to have forgotten to remove the incorrectly included blue checkmark. This is most likely again simply human error as there is no real benefit to its inclusion to the prosecution and the prosecution would be aware that many people watching would have noticed and pointed out this mistake if it was done on purpose.

In summary, his attorney got angry at the newscaster for asking a sensible question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

DC residents growing frustrated.

“Give Back Our City!” https://t.co/FGtvpzMkyv https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1361789823246303244?s=20

Yawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

“Give Back Our City!” https://t.co/FGtvpzMkyv https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1361789823246303244?s=20

"Signs" as in plural, shows two pictures of the same single "sign" :pac:

• Advertisement

Biden Wall? You mean the wall around Capitol Hill that was put up while Trump was president? That wall?

"Signs" as in plural, shows two pictures of the same single "sign" :pac:

That troll probably put it up himself.

Biden Wall? You mean the wall around Capitol Hill that was put up while Trump was president? That wall?

DC residents want it down unless you suspect it was me that swam over and put them up?

I was good at swimming in P. E but not that good :)

DC residents want it down unless you suspect it was me that swam over and put them up?

I was good at swimming in P. E but not that good :)

Did they want it down while it was there when Trump was president too? Are you angry at Trump for not taking it down too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The Biden Wall :pac: :pac:

Jack Posobiec :pac: :pac:

You gonna ask to be banned from this thread aswell dave?

Billy Mays wrote: »
    The Biden Wall :pac: :pac:

Jack Posobiec :pac: :pac:

You gonna ask to be banned from this thread aswell dave?

You should treasure me while I'm still around Billy boy it won't be forever and who entertains like me? 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You should treasure me while I'm still around Billy boy it won't be forever and who entertains like me? 🙂

Right out of Trumps playbook.

What is your evidence that >50% of DC residents want this fence down rather than up? Is it the one protest sign from this tweet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

You should look into Jack Posobiec. His whole shtick is fooling the more gullible folks out there.

• Advertisement

I treasure all of Donnie's clapping seals on here

A truly special bunch icon14.png

My mother always said I was special

A wise woman

You should look into Jack Posobiec. His whole shtick is fooling the more gullible folks out there.

I should look into but I won't.

A wise woman

She was a Saint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Joe Biden isn't your mother. Better set up a separate thread about yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

A wise woman
    Water John wrote: »
    Joe Biden isn't your mother. Better set up a separate thread about yourself.

Mod:

Can we stop this childish bickering back and forth folks, get back on topic or you can all take a holiday from the thread

I should look into but I won't.

Of course you won't, because that would take more effort than just dumping his tweets here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I see Joe Biden and the "radical left" are being blamed for the failure of the primarily coal and gas powered grid in Texas. Is there a single Republican who can take responsibility for anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭randd1

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I see Joe Biden and the "radical left" are being blamed for the failure of the primarily coal and gas powered grid in Texas. Is there a single Republican who can take responsibility for anything?

Didn't Obama (or was it Bush?) have a plan to put 2 new nuclear power stations in Texas, only for the oil & coal industry to flex their muscles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

namloc1980 wrote: »

Not this guy.

https://twitter.com/LivingBlueTX/status/1361742260484796416

Deleted this after posting it apparently and then resigned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Not this guy.

The tweet neatly summarizes the neoliberal politics that is rampant in the US. Dem or Rep, the message is that ordinary people are owed nothing.

What is truly worrying for the US is how seemingly easy it is to create chaos. Sure this is a once-off storm, but the fact that the wealthiest country on the planet is facing having the largest state in the Union without power for days is simply incredible.

I know much has been made of the state of infrastructure across large areas in the US, not to mention the lack of broadband etc. The problems are continuing to mount for the US and I don't see things getting any better as the US, as a whole, seem unable to appreciate the need for renewal and overhaul of vast areas of their country.

The US is far from the secure power that it likes to think it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Not this guy.

I’d say a lot was to do with missing out words in it. He seems to both be stupid as a brick and an ar5ehole too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sand wrote: »
    The tweet neatly summarizes the neoliberal politics that is rampant in the US. Dem or Rep, the message is that ordinary people are owed nothing.

More of the 'Both sides are at it' which is in no way demonstrably true.

Democrats voices are asking for affordable healthcare, cheaper access to education and a $15 minimum wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

If Biden had a sense of humor he would tell them to pull themselves up by their own bootraps.

But, he's POTUS for all Americans, even the ones that didn't vote for him. Unlike 'the previous guy' (Kinda love that nick today.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭Sand

More of the 'Both sides are at it' which is in no way demonstrably true.

Democrats voices are asking for affordable healthcare, cheaper access to education and a $15 minimum wage.

Student debt relief of at least $50,000 as well, right? How is that going?

I'll grant you the Democrats pretend they about the less well off, much as Republicans pretend they care about border security. And it is somewhat embarrassing for Democrats to have control of the presidency and congress as its harder to come up with excuses as to why nothing is done for the next 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Sand wrote: »
    Student debt relief of at least $50,000 as well, right? How is that going?

I'll grant you the Democrats pretend they about the less well off, much as Republicans pretend they care about border security. And it is somewhat embarrassing for Democrats to have control of the presidency and congress as its harder to come up with excuses as to why nothing is done for the next 2 years.

We are not even a month in brah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,206 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Not directed at anyone in particular, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone who has sat by and not passed comment on Trump for continuous egregious behaviour, yet takes swings at Biden for far less, doesn't deserve a reply.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Not directed at anyone in particular, but as far as I'm concerned, anyone who has sat by and not passed comment on Trump for continuous egregious behaviour, yet takes swings at Biden for far less, doesn't deserve a reply.

I'll hold you to that one

Thought you asked to be banned? It's hard to keep up with your childish posts.

• Advertisement

Thought you asked to be banned? It's hard to keep up with your childish posts.

He asked to be banned from the thread about the guy he likes, not from the thread about the guy he doesn't like. You can make of that what you will about his character.

CNN reporter finds Biden made at least 4 false claims speaking at town hall.

My fact check on these four, plus some other claims that aren't proven or need context: https://t.co/4H1LyUtUwn https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1362142891666255873?s=20

My fact check on these four, plus some other claims that aren't proven or need context: https://t.co/4H1LyUtUwn https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1362142891666255873?s=20

I thought CNN were hopelessly biased and would never hold Biden to account?

Under Trump the fact check was vital, but almost pointless as he simply lied so much, but it is perfectly right that it is now the norm.

Politicians must be made aware that they can't simply make things up and expect to get away with it

The four mistakes you are referring to are:
    • Incorrectly stated the amount that inflation effects minimum wage.
    • Incorrectly stated that most undocumented immigrants are not Hispanic.
    • Incorrectly stated that there are more retired people in China than working.
    • Gave too much credit to Trump on the vaccine roll-out.

In the >70 minute Q&A session, these were his only four mistakes. Doubt you'd find many politicians who would make fewer in such a timespan. Trump would have made more false claims in a single tweet.

But yes, anything a politician says should be fact checked as has always been the case. But the fact that an entire article was written about so few mistakes further demonstrates how infrequently he must make such mistakes.

I respect that they are not big mistakes he made and agree with you in that regard.

Saying that i find it bizzare he made these 2 comments

Incorrectly stated that most undocumented immigrants are not Hispanic.

Incorrectly stated that there are more retired people in China than working.

Even I would know not to say that and we can all agree I'm not the brightest bulb in the house.

We are all entitled to make a few mistakes though and nothing too crazy to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,206 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So, you admit that you sat by and passed no comment on Trump for continuous egregious behaviour, yet will take swings at Biden for far less?

Well, if this isn't a self own, I don't know what is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I respect that they are not big mistakes he made and agree with you in that regard.

Saying that i find it bizzare he made these 2 comments

Incorrectly stated that most undocumented immigrants are not Hispanic.

Incorrectly stated that there are more retired people in China than working.

Even I would know not to say that and we can all agree I'm not the brightest bulb in the house.

We are all entitled to make a few mistakes though and nothing too crazy to be fair.

And what is your opinion on the speech and the mistakes? What do they mean, and what does it mean for policy? Was he deliberately lying to spin a story (for example), what is your analysis of it?

China has a very low retirement age, which is causing issues as the boomer generation ages, and the single child policy starts to take effect, but the statement itself was incorrect. What's your opinion on the internal job market in China, should the retirement age be raised? Should the single child policy (which has already been relaxed) be relaxed further?

everlast75 wrote: »
    So, you admit that you sat by and passed no comment on Trump for continuous egregious behaviour, yet will take swings at Biden for far less?

Well, if this isn't a self own, I don't know what is...

I don't understand what your asking me to be honest but my inbox is open if you would like to explain to me as so we are not clogging up the thread with bickering.

astrofool wrote: »
    And what is your opinion on the speech and the mistakes? What do they mean, and what does it mean for policy? Was he deliberately lying to spin a story (for example), what is your analysis of it?

China has a very low retirement age, which is causing issues as the boomer generation ages, and the single child policy starts to take effect, but the statement itself was incorrect. What's your opinion on the internal job market in China, should the retirement age be raised? Should the single child policy (which has already been relaxed) be relaxed further?

What do his mistakes mean?
    They mean he has an alarmingly low level of knowledge on the Chinese economy for a US president.

Yes I am aware the retirement age is younger in China life expectancy is also relatively young at 76.62 in 2020.

I find it hard to see how he would make that mistake on China when there is over 500million people in the difference as you can see below.

There were 253.88 million people who are 60 or older on the Chinese mainland in 2019, accounting for 18.1 percent of the country's population, according to data from the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).8 Dec 2020

In 2019, the workforce in China amounted to around 774.7 million people

A rather large descripency as you can see and a poor mistake by a us president.

• Advertisement

Did Biden's pen run out of ink?

Where are the cheques?

Advertisement