Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

astrofool wrote: »
    And what is your opinion on the speech and the mistakes? What do they mean, and what does it mean for policy? Was he deliberately lying to spin a story (for example), what is your analysis of it?

The China mistake is a big deal if it's an indication of his view on geopolitics.

If it's about presenting a narrative that China has insurmountable demographic issues so it's not a threat to the geopolitical order that's much more important from a global perspective than say Trump's children in cages at the border, Hilary Clinton's emails, those well reported but basically internal US matters.

China and Climate change to me are the things that actually matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Says a lot about the change in expectations in the space of 4 weeks.
    The last guy struggled to pronounce countries correctly during a speech, this guy made a mistake with the demographic split of a country during a town hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This guy is also saying "cultural norms" means the Chinese are OK to engage in ethnic cleansing.
    I was hoping for more. Deeply disappointed.

https://twitter.com/JackPosobiec/status/1361890213669310464?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Says a lot about the change in expectations in the space of 4 weeks.
    The last guy struggled to pronounce countries correctly during a speech, this guy made a mistake with the demographic split of a country during a town hall.

The last guy is now a us citizen a mere media personality and businessman.

His time for scrutiny as a president is over.

The spotlight is now on your guy and his mistakes will be presented to you so your going to need better responses than comparing him to the last guy going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The spotlight is now on your guy and his mistakes will be presented to you so your going to need better responses than comparing him to the last guy going forward.

Ah, in that case, I'll say Biden did fine and anyone professing concern about his performance had those concerns written down before he even spoke.

Go Biden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

markodaly wrote: »
    This guy is also saying "cultural norms" means the Chinese are OK to engage in ethnic cleansing.
    I was hoping for more. Deeply disappointed.

Many of his critics have long been warning that China have him bought and paid for.
    I half expected China to have steam rolled into Taiwan by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Joe Biden made a mistake it appears. A man known for his gaffes.
    Is this a big deal? I don't see it, the whole world knows he puts his foot in it from time to time. It's not like it's going to cause any major problems.
    Who with a reasonable outlook cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

eagle eye wrote: »
    Joe Biden made a mistake it appears. A man known for his gaffes.
    Is this a big deal? I don't see it, the whole world knows he puts his foot in it from time to time. It's not like it's going to cause any major problems.
    Who with a reasonable outlook cares?

No one.

Maybe Joe just needed some more covfefe..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Many of his critics have long been warning that China have him bought and paid for.
    I half expected China to have steam rolled into Taiwan by now.

Does he have a secret Chinese bank account??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9272269/Nikki-Haley-attacks-liberal-media-stoking-nonstop-GOP-civil-war-Trump.html
    Bit off topic but Nikki Haley, now there is a sensible no nonsense republican i could back, as i have said previously, at the moment i prefer biden to any other republicans but the more i hear from haley the more i see her as a viable 2024 candidate.

• Advertisement

Does he have a secret Chinese bank account??

I had forgotten about that.

There were simply so many scandals one cannot keep up.

Do you remember the tariff war with China? Remember one poster coming on boards.ie trying to convince us all that Trump was playing 4d chess with China?

So, maybe Joe should get into one of those. That'll have the Trump followers happy, won't it?

newhouse87 wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9272269/Nikki-Haley-attacks-liberal-media-stoking-nonstop-GOP-civil-war-Trump.html
    Bit off topic but Nikki Haley, now there is a sensible no nonsense republican i could back, as i have said previously, at the moment i prefer biden to any other republicans but the more i hear from haley the more i see her as a viable 2024 candidate.

Haley - 2015 on Trump

- he is "everything a governor doesn't want in a president."

- re ban on Muslims entering the United States "absolutely un-American" and "unconstitutional."

"It defies everything that this country was based on and it's just wrong," the Republican said, speaking to reporters in Columbia and adding later that the policy was "an embarrassment" to her party.

“Donald Trump is everything we teach our kids not to do in kindergarten,” Haley said. “We have seen behavior over and over again that is just unacceptable.”

Haley - 2019 -

"Yes, in every instance I dealt with him, he was truthful, he listened and he was great to work with,” Haley responded.

Haley - 2020 - on Trump's impeachment “Give the man a break!”

So, nope - I want to hear nothing from her.

Fyi, that video conveniently omits the rest of what he said on china. As per usual some desperate misrepresentation.
    And so, I would, if you had a refugee bill by itself -- I'm not suggesting that, but I would -- there's things that I would deal by itself, but not at the expense of saying, I'm never going to do the other.

There is a reasonable path to citizenship. And it shows up. One of the reasons why we have been able to compete with the rest of the world so well is, most of our major competitors are xenophobic.

You remember -- I remember you questioning me when I came back from China. And I said, I predict, within less than a year, they're going to end their One-China policy. And I got clobbered by saying -- because they said: Biden didn't talk about the fact that how immoral it was. And it was when we were running against the Republican ticket led by Mitt Romney, a fine guy.

COOPER: You just talked to China's president, I believe.

BIDEN: Yes, for two hours.

COOPER: What about the Uyghurs? What about human rights abuses in China?

BIDEN: The Uyghurs.

We must speak up for human rights. It's who we are. We can't -- my comment to him was -- and I know him well, and he knows me well. We're -- a two-hour conversation.

COOPER: You talked about this to him?

BIDEN: I talked about this too.

And that's not so much refugee, but I talked about it. I said, look -- Chinese leaders, if you know anything about Chinese history, it has always been the time China when has been victimized by the outer world is when they haven't been unified at home.

So, the central -- to vastly overstate it, the central principle of Xi Jinping is that there must be a united, tightly controlled China. And he uses his rationale for the things he does based on that. I point out to him, no American president can be sustained as a

president if he doesn't reflect the values of the United States. And so the idea I'm not going to speak out against what he's doing in Hong Kong, what he's doing with the Uyghurs in western mountains of China, and Taiwan, trying to end the One-China policy by making it forceful, I said -- by the way, he said he gets it.

Culturally, there are different norms that each country and their leaders are expected to follow. But my point was that, when I came back from meeting with him and traveling 17,000 miles with him when I was vice president and he was the vice president -- and that's how I got to know him so well, at the request of President Hu -- not a joke -- his predecessor, President Hu, and President Obama wanted us to get to know one another, because he was going to the president.

And I came back and said, they're going to end their one-child policy, because they're so xenophobic, they won't let anybody else in. And more people are retired than working. How can they sustain economic growth when more people are retired?

COOPER: When you talk to him, though, about human rights abuses, is that just -- is that as far as it goes in terms of the U.S.? Or is there any actual repercussions for China?

BIDEN: Well, there will be repercussions for China. And he knows that.

What I'm doing is making clear that we, in fact, are going to continue to reassert our role as spokespersons for human rights at the U.N. and other agencies that have an impact on their attitude. China is trying very hard to become the world leader and to get that moniker. And to be able to do that, they have to gain the confidence of other countries.

And as long as they're engaged in activity that is contrary to basic human rights, it's going to be hard for them to do that.

The full transcript for reference
    https://www.newsweek.com/joe-biden-cnn-town-hall-transcript-full-trump-vaccines-1569872?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

everlast75 wrote: »
    Haley - 2015 on Trump

- re ban on Muslims entering the United States "absolutely un-American" and "unconstitutional."

"It defies everything that this country was based on and it's just wrong," the Republican said, speaking to reporters in Columbia and adding later that the policy was "an embarrassment" to her party.

“Donald Trump is everything we teach our kids not to do in kindergarten,” Haley said. “We have seen behavior over and over again that is just unacceptable.”

Haley - 2019 -

"Yes, in every instance I dealt with him, he was truthful, he listened and he was great to work with,” Haley responded.

I think she has criticized him far more and rightly so,than any other republicans to be fair to her, that comment from 2019 she was talking about her personal experience with him which was true for her. In that article she again criticized him for many things too. I like her and reckon she will run in 2024.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

What gaffe are we talking about? The one where he started talking about mixed race couples in advertising?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What gaffe are we talking about? The one where he started talking about mixed race couples in advertising?

Simple question, did his "gaffe" hurt anyone? Did it effect the lives of anyone? Has it cost any money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Did Biden's pen run out of ink?

Where are the cheques?

You do realise Congress has sole power to approve the Covid relief right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

His time for scrutiny as a president is over. .

Can you link to your posts where you scrutinised and/or criticised Trump? I don't remember this kind of eagerness for scrutiny from you then.

You Trump supporters are hilarious. You actively defended or simply ignored the egregious behaviour of Trump while in office, but are suddenly very very keen for scrutiny. Comical behaviour!

Also why are you saying Biden is "your guy"? You see, unlike Trump supporters, most of us on here are balanced and aren't completely absorbed in a cult of personality. Very few, if any, posters on here see Biden as "their guy" in the same way Trump supporters idolised Trump. Your projection here is fooling nobody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Haley - 2015 on Trump

Haley - 2019 -

At a quick glance, I'd argue there's far worse options out there - but that is just a glance.

Be interesting to hear what she says about Trump if they both go for the Republican ticket.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

At a quick glance, I'd argue there's far worse options out there - but that is just a glance.

Be interesting to hear what she says about Trump if they both go for the Republican ticket.

There were far worse examples of her behaviour, but it was early and I'm tired.

It is good to see the "trump stink"* is something some are seeking to scrub off of themselves.

*tm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

There were far worse examples of her behaviour, but it was early and I'm tired.

It is good to see the "trump stink"* is something some are seeking to scrub off of themselves.

*tm

I genuinely wonder if Trump has some bad, bad dirt on Lindsey Graham. It might explain why Graham is such a lap dog.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I genuinely wonder if Trump has some bad, bad dirt on Lindsey Graham. It might explain why Graham is such a lap dog.

People forget that when the Russians hacked the DNC, they also hacked the GOP.

Conspiracy theorists will suggest that Putin has given use of that information to Trump in order to keep the GOP in line.

There certainly seems to be some reason when the vociferous objections people had to Trump suddenly fell by the way side.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No , it's down to the fact that Graham the ultimate parasitic Beta , he needs to attach himself to the Big Dog to survive.

He is devoid of his own personality , his own ideas of principals. He's incapable of standing on his own two feet - He's the eternal yes man to the "Alpha" in the group.

That used to be John McCain so Graham followed him around and parroted everything he said and because McCain was by and large a fairly decent person , Graham appeared to be a decent person.

Now though , Trump is the GOP Alpha so Graham parrots him - Trump is an awful human being , so Graham now appears to be an awful human being.

If and when Trump gets usurped by a new Alpha in the GOP , Graham will tuck in behind that person and become an echo of them.

The only "power" that anyone holds over Graham is the threat of irrelevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think it is far easier than that.

He just wants power and prestige. Men have, throughout history, given up all sorts of morals and standards just to be 'in the room' with power.

And Trump is very much a 'with me or against me type'. You can't really be a little bit on his side.

So Graham saw the way the wind was blowing and took the easy option. Sell his ideals (if one assumes he ever had any in the 1st place) to be seen as powerful.

It is the same with Cruz.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Leroy42 wrote: »

He just wants power and prestige. Men have, throughout history, given up all sorts of morals and standards just to be 'in the room' with power.

And Trump is very much a 'with me or against me type'. You can't really be a little bit on his side.

So Graham saw the way the wind was blowing and took the easy option. Sell his ideals (if one assumes he ever had any in the 1st place) to be seen as powerful.

Yep. Graham was once on the side of McCain don’t forget. He wants recognition from whoever is perceived to be the top dog in the GOP.

Speaking of Cruz I'm seeing some outrage in the Twitter machine about him hopping a flight to Cancun while regular Texans are freezing without power still.

Re Graham, I understand the simplist explanation may be true, but it was the breakneck speed at which he went from a hater to a sycophant that got most people.

He hated trump, went for a round of golf and then did a 180.

That in and of itself made people think

Re Graham, I understand the simplist explanation may be true, but it was the breakneck speed at which he went from a hater to a sycophant that got most people.

He hated trump, went for a round of golf and then did a 180.

That in and of itself made people think

I think the reason people like to think there must be something is because it is more conforming to think that he is doing this under duress that admit that this is simply the type of man he is.

I think the same level of thinking is used for Melania. She must be under duress, imprisoned in a gilded cage, forced to stay with Trump out of duty for her son, and the country.

But there is no evidence that any of that is true. Melania seems more than happy to be where she is, more than happy to continue to offer support and seems happy with the choices she has made.

People are sometimes just complete d1c3s. Awful, amoral people that simply don't care about anyone but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I am happy that biden is against the 50k student debt forgiveness. Having spent the last two years paying off 200k of my wife's student debt, like a fiscally prudent citizen, at great impact to my own life(still renting, tight with spending, ignored investment opportunity), it does irk somewhat that we are entering this giveaway government culture. I am happy to see stimulus spending but I am genuinely anxious about inflation now. I'm trying to invest every cent because of this oversupply of currency. My problem is that we are punishing those who are responsible and rewarding those who are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Speaking of Cruz I'm seeing some outrage in the Twitter machine about him hopping a flight to Cancun while regular Texans are freezing without power still.

Let them eat frozen cake.

I think the reason people like to think there must be something is because it is more conforming to think that he is doing this under duress that admit that this is simply the type of man he is.

I think the same level of thinking is used for Melania. She must be under duress, imprisoned in a gilded cage, forced to stay with Trump out of duty for her son, and the country.

But there is no evidence that any of that is true. Melania seems more than happy to be where she is, more than happy to continue to offer support and seems happy with the choices she has made.

People are sometimes just complete d1c3s. Awful, amoral people that simply don't care about anyone but themselves.

She knows she only has a few more years (maybe less) of him around and then she is set for life.

She knows she only has a few more years (maybe less) of him around and then she is set for life.

She has been with him for what, 20 years? She is set for life regardless.

But even that tells you all you need to know. SHe is quite happy to stand with Trump because she will be better off. No different than Graham really.

This is the joe biden thread right? Graham, cruz, melania, Trump, the republicans are really living in your heads rent free. I'm seeing very little on joe biden.

This is the joe biden thread right? Graham, cruz, melania, Trump, the republicans are really living in your heads rent free. I'm seeing very little on joe biden.

The floor is yours.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Because your right, there’s very little on Joe Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well said, there's a thread for Trump.

The floor is yours.....

I'm just tired of the gossip politics. I suppose we could talk about the differences in policies on student loan forgiveness but it's pretty boring. I don't see biden being swayed by schumer, warren. It's one of those things that makes you look good when arguing from the sidelines for those too but biden would actually have to do it.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You Trump supporters are hilarious. You actively defended or simply ignored the egregious behaviour of Trump while in office, but are suddenly very very keen for scrutiny. Comical behaviour!

Also why are you saying Biden is "your guy"? You see, unlike Trump supporters, most of us on here are balanced and aren't completely absorbed in a cult of personality. Very few, if any, posters on here see Biden as "their guy" in the same way Trump supporters idolised Trump. Your projection here is fooling nobody.

Trump is brought up again in a Biden thread how much longer will that flute sing a tune.

Balanced you say? Do me a favour.

You all have hundreds if not thousand of posts scrutinising trump on the trump threads for over 4 years.

I can assure you I will be doing the same here.

Would you like to comment on why Joe you think Joe Biden made a half a billion people mistake on his retired v working people in China?

Is it that he knows nothing of the economy of China?

Or he does but is lying is trying to play them down as a threat to usa?

Or is it trumps fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump is brought up again in a Biden thread how much longer will that flute sing a tune.

You all have hundreds if not thousand of posts scrutinising trump on the trump threads for over 4 years.

Would you like to comment on why Joe you think Joe Biden made a half a billion people mistake on his retired v working people in China?

Or is it trumps fault?
    Can you link to your posts where you scrutinised and/or criticised Trump? I don't remember this kind of eagerness for scrutiny from you then.

You're avoiding questions again

• Advertisement

Or is it trumps fault?

He made a mistake and the fact check corrected it. And it was a statistical mistake at that. If this is the stuff you are going to be getting up in arms over, it's going to be absolutely hilarious to watch.

And you will continually be called out for your seemingly new found interest in scrutiny, when you didn't give a hoot about it prior to January 20th.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    He made a mistake and the fact check corrected it. And it was a statistical mistake at that. If this is the stuff you are going to be getting up in arms over, it's going to be absolutely hilarious to watch.

And you will continually be called out for your seemingly new found interest in scrutiny, when you didn't give a hoot about it prior to January 20th.

Thankyou for your opinion.

Yes if the president doesn't know very much about the fiercest rival to the usa and its economy and where the majority of the unauthorised immigrants coming into the country he is president of are coming from.

Then yes I agree it will be hilarious moving forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Yes if the president doesn't know very much about the fiercest rival to the usa and its economy and where the majority of the unauthorised immigrants coming into the country he is president of are coming from.

Trump's lack of knowledge on domestic and foreign affairs didn't bother you so why would you care about that now? Your posts are hypocritical and as a result, are not taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

What do his mistakes mean?
    They mean he has an alarmingly low level of knowledge on the Chinese economy for a US president.

Yes I am aware the retirement age is younger in China life expectancy is also relatively young at 76.62 in 2020.

I find it hard to see how he would make that mistake on China when there is over 500million people in the difference as you can see below.

There were 253.88 million people who are 60 or older on the Chinese mainland in 2019, accounting for 18.1 percent of the country's population, according to data from the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).8 Dec 2020

In 2019, the workforce in China amounted to around 774.7 million people

A rather large descripency as you can see and a poor mistake by a us president.

It's great to see this (genuinely) as you've started looking up information, and being able to look at policy.

The "gaffe" is just a gaffe, it's going to happen in every interview, it happens to everyone who's public speaking (including Bezos and Musk and Gates), what matters is what is the policy coming out of this, and what changes are going to be made.

Continuing on with the "gotcha" style posting will get tired quickly as it really means nothing, what matters is the boring stuff, the policies being implemented, why they're being implemented. Joe Biden sits well to the right politically of most Irish people, so expect people to post around that (why not a $10,000 cheque, AOC is the future, Sanders should be president), but it's good to see actual debate.

Will Joe get more numbers wrong? Yes, lots, every politician does. Will Joe double down on the wrong numbers as part of his policy, or get bored of them and wander off and stop responding, no, he's a competent politician who has been proving most of his doubters wrong, and seems to be dragging America through a proper response to the pandemic and reacted well to the Texas freeze (even if that is 99.99% the fault of the GOP lawmakers there). You can't ask more than that at the moment.

Also a key thing about being president is that they don't necessarily know about every single thing in detail but they do follow the advice of advice of experts and have the right team around them. So an error around those retired or whatever simply isn't a big deal, it's also likely something he's being briefed by others on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Joe was something else last night. The ‘cultural’ differences' statement had to be one of the worst statements made by a US president in decades.
    Everybody knows I like kids better than people. - Joe Biden

astrofool wrote: »
    It's great to see this (genuinely) as you've started looking up information, and being able to look at policy.

The "gaffe" is just a gaffe, it's going to happen in every interview, it happens to everyone who's public speaking (including Bezos and Musk and Gates), what matters is what is the policy coming out of this, and what changes are going to be made.

Continuing on with the "gotcha" style posting will get tired quickly as it really means nothing, what matters is the boring stuff, the policies being implemented, why they're being implemented. Joe Biden sits well to the right politically of most Irish people, so expect people to post around that (why not a $10,000 cheque, AOC is the future, Sanders should be president), but it's good to see actual debate.

Will Joe get more numbers wrong? Yes, lots, every politician does. Will Joe double down on the wrong numbers as part of his policy, or get bored of them and wander off and stop responding, no, he's a competent politician who has been proving most of his doubters wrong, and seems to be dragging America through a proper response to the pandemic and reacted well to the Texas freeze (even if that is 99.99% the fault of the GOP lawmakers there). You can't ask more than that at the moment.

Thankyou i appreciated this post more than you know and a nice change from the me v you bickering.

Joe was something else last night. The ‘cultural’ differences' statement had to be one of the worst statements made by a US president in decades.

The worst statements from a US president in decades... The one where he specifes that China will face consequences from the international community if they don't fall in line? It's pretty telling that the clip that's being shared around omits his entire statement on China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I assune your were similarly vocal when Trump suggested injecting disinfectant to cure coronavirus, that the death rate was much higher than in the US and failed to name the correct winner of an American Presidential Election?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Stuff like this is why Trump supporters just cannot be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
Advertisement