Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Tanden was a stupid nominee, completely out of her depth. Hopefully she doesn't end up squeaking through.

Overall the Biden administration has been desperate for doing anything meaningful, like not doing away ICE's policies despite promising reform, clearing student debt, and obviously the debacle with the relief cheques.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss and all that...

Sorry, yawn I think it's bedtime for me. Aren't you so lefty and trendy. Biden has acted quickly to bring relief to Texas, even if it was their own fault and their GOP leaders. Trump would visit in two weeks time and throw paper towels at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Water John wrote: »
    Sorry, yawn I think it's bedtime for me. Aren't you so lefty and trendy. Biden has acted quickly to bring relief to Texas, even if it was their own fault and their GOP leaders. Trump would visit in two weeks time and throw paper towels at them.

Leftist, for sure. Biden is a terrible choice to be president and if the DNC are pinning their hopes on Harris they're barking up the wrong tree.

It's not the people of Texas' fault, not sure why you're implying that. :confused:

Biden will continue a neoliberal path for the USA, something which damages the world as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Water John wrote: »

trump is in the past. lets focus on the now, and the future

Tanden was a stupid nominee, completely out of her depth. Hopefully she doesn't end up squeaking through.

Overall the Biden administration has been desperate for doing anything meaningful, like not doing away ICE's policies despite promising reform, clearing student debt, and obviously the debacle with the relief cheques.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss and all that...

Definitely. I mean look at all this pointless nonsense.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/all-of-president-bidens-key-executive-orders-in-one-chart-2021-01-21

And most of the stuff you mention is being held up by Congress, not by Biden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Leftist, for sure. Biden is a terrible choice to be president and if the DNC are pinning their hopes on Harris they're barking up the wrong tree.

It's not the people of Texas' fault, not sure why you're implying that. :confused:

Biden will continue a neoliberal path for the USA, something which damages the world as a whole.

Texan politicians, elected by the people. Just have a look at El Paso. A few hundred out of power for a few hours. Two things, when they had something similar happen 10 years ago, they moved to upgrade the electricity infrastructure and secondly, they are part of the Western US Grid, not connected to the rest of Texas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

How convenient to say he's in the past when his supporters that gave him a free pass on all his disgusting behaviour are here every day trying to undermine Biden for a lot less. Nobody takes hypocrites seriously.

Just a small thing, but it's best to say "I think that" or "in my opinion" when making such statements, otherwise many people won't take you seriously.

i do think, but for a few exceptions, republicans are happy about this.

it probably happens in most places...you dont have to run on your own policies, but just criticise the sitting government. if they do enough wrong, you reap the rewards come election time.

it is a flaw. i often thought (in Ireland) the minister for finance (as an example) should not be elected, but an expert in finance.
    minister for health, should be a hard core business person, that will cut the fat that is not needed, and have no allegiance to party.

thats off topic

How convenient to say he's in the past when his supporters that gave him a free pass on all his disgusting behaviour are here every day trying to undermine Biden for a lot less. Nobody takes hypocrites seriously.

everyone is a hypocrite. once you accept that, you can move on.

if biden is deserving of criticism he should get it regardless of who came before. a cricket term, play every ball on its merits. judge him on what he does, the rest is irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Oh no you didn't say that did you.

• Advertisement

Oh no you didn't say that did you.

he's the ex president. unless he runs in 2024 he's in the past.

if biden is deserving of criticism he should get it regardless of who came before. a cricket term, play every ball on its merits. judge him on what he does, the rest is irrelevant.

Of course he should be compared to past presidents.

Is Biden working hard? Is Biden making a big enough difference? Is the economy doing well under Biden? Is his approval rating high? Are international relations good under Biden? etc.

Those questions can only be answered relatively, not absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You left a word out - "valid" criticism. We have posters here losing their minds over a verbal gaffe, posting videos of him with children, saying he's doing too much, saying he's too doing little. It's just embarrassing and very obvious that it's being done in bad faith.

Just a small thing, but it's best to say "I think that" or "in my opinion" when making such statements, otherwise many people won't take you seriously.

Given that this is a personal account, surely it can be inferred that I'm only speaking on behalf of myself?

Given that this is a personal account, surely it can be inferred that I'm only speaking on behalf of myself?

There are many in this thread who like to state their opinions as if they are facts. It's best to not fall into that category. Otherwise, many will assume that you are incapable of changing your mind and so will not spend their time debating with you.

You left a word out - "valid" criticism. We have posters here losing their minds over a verbal gaffe, posting videos of him with children, saying he's doing too much, saying he's too doing little. It's just embarrassing and very obvious that it's being done in bad faith.

That gaffe claimed that president Trump didn't have any vaccines in place leaving the office which wasn't true as millions of American citizens had been vaccinated including Joe Biden himself.

Not just any old gaffe as you can see and worthy of attention.

That gaffe claimed that president Trump didn't have any vaccines in place leaving the office which wasn't true as millions of American citizens had been vaccinated including Joe Biden himself.

Not just any old gaffe as you can see.

No it didn't. Please stop ignoring people's replies.

I'm finding it pretty funny that a poster is asking for an apology after they were called out for posting a modified quote that misrepresented a statement.... They even admitted they had misrepresented at time... Bad faith postings tbh.

There are many in this thread who like to state their opinions as if they are facts. It's best to not fall into that category. Otherwise, many will assume that you are incapable of changing your mind and so will not spend their time debating with you.

I'm not overly concerned with people not believing me tbh. There are some in this thread who will extol the virtues of Joe Biden, whom history will forget as very much an inconsequential president. He will appease the "If Hillary won we'd all be at brunch by now" types, those who prefer to treat politics as something best ignored until something cataclysmic happens.

It is what it is. Trump was one of the worst presidents in modern USA history. Biden has shown no desire in his whole career to be anything except a peacemaker between Republicans and Democrats, which only results in moving the democrats further right. The USA ends up with no left wing and people on that side are forced to neuter themselves or risk excommunication. It's sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

eagle eye wrote: »
    So it looks like Neera Tanden won't get nominated by the Senate.
    Joe Manchin definitely voting against her and Bernie Sanders might too.
    I'm surprised they haven't pulled her yet

Manchin voting against her for stupid reasons like her "mean tweets".

It doesn't reflect well on Bernie if he votes her through, but not impossible she has a few Republican votes to get her through.

I find it odd Manchin been the decisive vote on anything tbh.

• Advertisement

Of course he should be compared to past presidents.

Is Biden working hard? Is Biden making a big enough difference? Is the economy doing well under Biden? Is his approval rating high? Are international relations good under Biden? etc.

Those questions can only be answered relatively, not absolutely.

i had a whole thing written here (about how you cant compare one president to the other), and then i read your last line.

ultimately, he will be judged on job creation (not wealth creation). i dont think the average American cares about the environment as much as people make out; immigration; power of big tech; and fighting or not.

criticism is criticism is it not? whats valid criticism? are there some things we cant criticise?

No it didn't. Please stop ignoring people's replies.

Just the facts:
    President Biden said: “we didn’t have [the coronavirus vaccine] when we came into office”.

He got vaccinated LIVE ON TV.
    First dose on Dec 21, 2020.

Second dose on Jan 11, 2021.

His first day in office, January 20, 2021.

While I agree it was a mistake he said it all the same and I was made to feel that he didn't say it last night when actually he did.

Just the facts:
    President Biden said: “we didn’t have [the coronavirus vaccine] when we came into office”.

He got vaccinated LIVE ON TV.
    First dose on Dec 21, 2020.

Second dose on Jan 11, 2021.

His first day in office, January 20, 2021.

While I agree it was a mistake he said it all the same and I was made to feel that he didn't say it last night when actually he did.

Please stop ignoring replies. That's all have to say to you. Repeating the same statement over and over doesn't make a difference. There have been detailed replies to that statement. What you should next do is reply to one of those replies. There is no benefit to repeating the same statement over and over like a seal. It makes it look like you cannot reply to our replies and therefore weakens your credibility.

And the additional info you added is incredibly cringey. Are you suggesting that he actually forgot that he was vaccinated? That he forgot that he said a minute beforehand during the Q&A that millions of Americans had been vaccinated? Not even the other Trumpists in this thread are suggesting that. That's just, ugh...

Please stop ignoring replies. That's all have to say to you. Repeating the same statement over and over doesn't make a difference. There have been detailed replies to that statement. What you should next do is reply to one of those replies. There is no benefit to repeating the same statement over and over like a seal. It makes it look like you cannot reply to our replies and therefore weakens your credibility.

And the additional info you added is incredibly cringey. Are you suggesting that he actually forgot that he was vaccinated? That he forgot that he said a minute beforehand during the Q&A that millions of Americans had been vaccinated? Not even the other Trumpists in this thread are suggesting that. That's just, ugh...

he lied or forgot.

washington post, one of the biggest democrat publications, fact checked it as a 'verbal stumble'.

whats worse in your opinion? lying or forgetting?

Please stop ignoring replies.

Aren't i replying to you ya mad man I don't see how you can say I'm ignoring your replies when I'm directly replying to you?

criticism is criticism is it not? whats valid criticism? are there some things we cant criticise?

Yes, and he gave you some examples in his post. People have criticised him for signing too many execute orders, people have criticised him for not signing enough executive orders, people criticised his press secretary for staying she would answer next time instead of making up something on the spot etc.

Please stop ignoring replies.

Aren't i replying to you ya mad man I don't see how you can say I'm ignoring your replies when I'm directly replying to you?

You are repeating the same statement over and over. This statement has been debunked already in detail several times. Reply to one of those detailed responses.

he lied or forgot.

No he didn't. Those are not the only options, nor are they the most likely options, as I've already explained to you. You seemed perfectly okay to accept that until you found someone who you believe said otherwise (which he didn't. A verbal stumble doesn't imply someone lied or forgot.)

• Advertisement

Yes, and he gave you some examples in his post. People have criticised him for signing too many execute orders, people have criticised him for not signing enough executive orders, people criticised his press secretary for staying she would answer next time instead of making up something on the spot etc.

i completely agree.

lets focus on the actual policies. if i was the texas governor (or whoever is responsible for this), every catch and release, i would put on a bus and release to Washington (or Delaware).

would JB support that do you think?

No he didn't. Those are not the only options, nor are they the most likely options, as I've already explained to you. You seemed perfectly okay to accept that until you found someone who you believe said otherwise (which he didn't. A verbal stumble doesn't imply someone lied or forgot.)

okay let me correct: he lied, or he forgot, or he didn't articulate correctly.

okay let me correct: he lied, or he forgot, or he didn't articulate correctly.

Yes, he did not articulate correctly. And you can find similar examples from every president in the past of doing something similar. Because they are all human. It is not an indication that he needs to be more clear with his words as you say.

My problem is that either way "vaccine" or "vaccines" he is lying and Donald Trump was right to question what he said.

If he meant that there were no vaccines when he entered office that is false as is stated below from BBC fact checker.

When it comes to whether there were "enough" vaccines, the Trump administration secured 400 million doses from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna (the two vaccines currently approved in the US). All of these doses are set to be delivered by July.

That's not enough to fully vaccinate the entire US population (both vaccines require two doses), but it allowed the US to ramp up its vaccination programme faster than many other developed countries.

When Mr Trump left office in January, the US had vaccinated more than 16 million people - the fourth highest per capita after Israel, the UAE and the UK.

The Trump administration also secured contracts for a total of 500 million doses from Johnson & Johnson, Novavax and AstraZeneca - vaccines which are yet to be approved in the US, but are likely to come on stream later in the year.

Source:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/56039528

Yes, he did not articulate correctly. And you can find similar examples from every president in the past of doing something similar. Because they are all human. It is not an indication that he needs to be more clear with his words as you say.

imagine not being articulate giving nuke launch codes? sher its grand?

i'll say 1 thing, this was a lovely moment which may not happen again:

dont know who ruined that.

imagine not being articulate giving nuke launch codes? sher its grand?

i'll say 1 thing, this was a lovely moment which may not happen again:

dont know who ruined that.

Every single person on stage has a stained legacy. You don't need to simp for the past presidents to criticise Trump. GW Bush is a war criminal and Obama kicked off the children in cages operation.

Reaganomics was started under Carter, GHW Bush was nothing more than Reagan 2.0, Clinton is an (alleged but definitely true) rapist, and the other two have been covered.

• Advertisement

Every single person on stage has a stained legacy. You don't need to simp for the past presidents to criticise Trump. GW Bush is a war criminal and Obama kicked off the children in cages operation.

i wasn't talking about past shortcomings, but the fact they were all there together, a common bond we have no idea about.

its been ruined now by a vendetta against trump.

ETA: calls for him not to be buried at Arlington. no library in his name. thats just hateful

i wasn't talking about past shortcomings, but the fact they were all there together, a common bond we have no idea about.

its been ruined now by a vendetta against trump.

ETA: calls for him not to be buried at Arlington. no library in his name. thats just hateful

Oh a common bond? Yeah it's almost like they're virtually identical without any credibility at all! No wonder leftist Dem voters feel disillusioned and right wing conservatives are more inclined to support anarchy than the same old **** that they've stomached for years.

By past shortcomings you're of course referring to their presidential legacy, something that is far more important and should be referred to as such than merely "past shortcomings".

Oh a common bond? Yeah it's almost like they're virtually identical without any credibility at all! No wonder leftist Dem voters feel disillusioned and right wing conservatives are more inclined to support anarchy than the same old **** that they've stomached for years.

By past shortcomings you're of course referring to their presidential legacy, something that is far more important and should be referred to as such than merely "past shortcomings".

you seem independent at the very least.

i dunno what you are saying/asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Newsmax guest attacks Biden's dogs for being dirty and "unlike a presidential dog"

This is the tan suit all over again.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Newsmax guest attacks Biden's dogs for being dirty and "unlike a presidential dog"

When the dogs have access to the nuclear arsenal, I'll watch Newsmax and not before.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/uwjxQoTyVAE

Yesterday's speech Munich security conference.

15:34 Mark president Biden starts rambling and many think he drops the N Bomb.

I whole heartedly admit if he did it was by accident and am not here saying he's out dropping the N Bomb purposely or he's a racist.

I'm just saying he's a liability speaking at the moment and we are only a few weeks in.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I whole heartedly admit if he did it was by accident and am not here saying he's out dropping the N Bomb purposely or he's a racist.

I'm just saying he's a liability speaking at the moment and we are only a few weeks in.

In what possible context was he saying your suggested word in that section of the speach?

You know he has a stammer right and has to work hard to suppress it? He just stumbled over the words "... eager to hear..." a couple of times in that section. Nothing more than that. Nothing sinister.

robinph wrote: »
    In what possible context was he saying your suggested word in that section of the speach?

You know he has a stammer right and has to work hard to suppress it? He just stumbled over the words "... eager to hear..." a couple of times in that section. Nothing more than that. Nothing sinister.

I said in my post I wasnt calling him a racist or that he said the word purposefully.

Like it or not he has made several mistakes while speaking this week many which can't be blamed on a stammer.

It will be interesting to see if this continues and becomes a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Many Think, the most disingenuous argument there is. I remember someone in power quite recently using phrases like that when they knew something was nonsense but wanted to say it anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I said in my post I wasnt calling him a racist or that he said the word purposefully.

Like it or not he has made several mistakes while speaking this week many which can't be blamed on a stammer.

It will be interesting to see if this continues and becomes a problem.

Why can't him stammering be blamed on him having a stammer?

What exactly is the problem with his what is now a slight stammer. Unless he's needing to quote the nuclear launch codes in phonetic alphabet over a dodgy radio connection it really doesn't matter. It's quite clear what he's trying to express in his speach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump didn't even have a pet in the white house, the first president not to have one, unless you count lyndsay Graham

My problem is that either way "vaccine" or "vaccines" he is lying

No he is not, and you are the only person who has posted about it in this thread who thinks that.
    If he meant that there were no vaccines when he entered office that is false as is stated below from BBC fact checker.

No it is not false. You are further demonstrating that you are not reading peoples' posts. Someone linked to an article showing that the vaccine reserves were depleted when he came into office. You can find it yourself, I am not going to hold your hand and repost it again for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This is supposed to be a thread about Joe Biden presidency not his elocution.

If there was something in the actual speech that was wrong, or that you have issues with, then please let's hear it.

imagine not being articulate giving nuke launch codes? sher its grand.

Is the point you're trying to make that someone with a stutter could not be president? What about someone with a lisp? Or a deep southern accent?

If he did it by accident? Jesus Christ, is this what this thread has become? He stumbled on two words and you and whatever Facebook pages you are subscribed to where you are finding these things chose to hear something that wasn't there. Disgusting.

If you're so concerned about stumbles I'm sure you'll be glad to explain why your dear leader was not a liability as you say.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-rally-twitter-roger-stone-sentence-pardon-2020-election-rally-phoenix-arizona-a9345956.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement