Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There’s a fairly sour article on the BBC about this. He shouldn’t have said that, the brits are very sensitive, but it is very funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're not. It's the chattering media classes who are obsessed with inventing imaginary affronts to enrage their readers. Fair play to Joe for saying it as it is though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Biden is a joke, he could not find Ireland on a map. As someone else said, we’ll take no lessons from him after he screwed up his withdrawal from Afghanistan, crippling debts for Americans etc. Interesting too that Putin invades Ukraine when there was am old geriatric in the White house, he would not have invaded were there someone competent leading NATO instead of criticizing his biggest ally in NATO....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not only did he find it but he toured the country? Speaking of people we won’t be taking lessons from ^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Hahaha he couldn't find Ireland on a map , that's a good one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,945 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Putin invaded Georgia when Bush was president, and Crimea when Obama was president.

Trump deliberately screwed up the Afghanistan withdrawal to leave Biden with a poisoned chalice.

What other US president do you think has better knowledge of Ireland than Biden? Given how many times he has been here, to visit ancestors graves in Mayo and Louth.

We'll take no politics, history or geography lessons from you for sure. Epic fail.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

He was brought around the country? He was brought by hundreds of others to three or 4 counties, he used the teleprompter throughout and still got confused between the black and tans and the all blacks. Even 50% of democrat voters do not want him, that says it all. Amazing how so many in the USA are blaming Biden for the war in Ukraine, the increased cost of living etc, but Biden still thinks he should stab the USA's biggest ally and NATO partner in the back when he can.

Biden was merely holding up the US end of the deal that 45 bungled so badly. The same 45 who's sheer stupidity and narcissism may have cost thousands of American lives by making covid so much worse than it needed to be.

Oh well in that case nobody can find Ireland on a map since we’re all flown or sailed there so I guess it doesn’t matter.

• Advertisement

More unsourced nonsense.

US Presidents travel with huge amounts of aides and security. Would you have had him book and Aer Lingus flight to Shannon from NY JKF for himself and Jill?

How many of the people blaming him for the war are MAGA master race morons and GOP Nazis I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It shouldn't be a controversial opinion to suggest that neither are popular whatsoever with the masses. Biden's numbers are dismal and his only obvious path to reelection is to hope the GOP are stupid enough to nominate Trump and luckily for Joe that seems so.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Fair points in general, but I also think it's very important to understand the difference between popularity and electability.

People , Democrat voters included may not be thrilled with how things are going under Biden and the polling numbers support that , but that does not automatically translate into them voting for the GOP instead.

To put it in an Irish context - If I was asked my opinion of the current governments performance I'd be giving them a below average score in general and lower than that for certain areas. However , regardless of that there is still not a snowballs chance in hell that I'd vote for Sinn Fein as an alternative.

The polling in the US supports that viewpoint, where Biden has popularity numbers in the 30's even among Democrats but when asked, 81% of them still say that they'd vote for him in the next election.

I live in the UK and, while I somewhat approve of Sir Keir Starmer's policies, he doesn't exactly inspire me to go out and vote either. I find the Tory party to be utterly detestable.

I get why Democrats aren't rushing to take selfies with President Biden but he's at least seen as a safe pair of hands. I think that if the GOP moved away from the lunatic fringes, Biden would be in serious trouble assuming he is running in 2024. Trump has guaranteed his victory should he run. He'll either take the GOP nomination, split the vote or wage war on the GOP nominee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

What rubbish? Massive corruption and one party going hell for leather to turn the clock back a century when it comes to rights and social standards

Oh yeah the base will come out for Biden for sure.

The problem for Trump is independents loath him and they will make or break the election. In 2016 I seen a poll where they polled indies who hated Hilary and Trump but ultimately about 75% broke for Trump as normally indy's do lean right but looking at the last few elections they are clearly breaking for the Dems in significant numbers. You can't win a presidential election without Indy's.

Regarding Biden even if somehow Trump decided tomorrow he would not run, he is still ultimately their best bet for the EC,,,Harris and Newsom would struggle against even Trump with the current system.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As you say, the Independents are key and the reality is that none of them really hate Biden. They may not be thrilled with his performance , but they don't "hate" him.

Outside of the MAGA fringe he simply doesn't engender the kind of visceral hatred that Clinton did or that Trump does now.

Newsom and Harris potentially do generate some of that hate so they aren't good options for now.

It's clear that all the bloviating nonsense coming out of Jame Comer and Jim Jordan are thus far unsuccessful efforts to try to generate that hatred for Biden among Independents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My concern would be if Biden gets ill or even dies close to the election. Would America vote for Kamala ?

On her own? Absolutely not, but if she was the only Democratic option, probably.

Be interesting who she would pick as VP, would have to go for someone who could appeal to the EC states.

Regarding her v Trump its hard to know, both have bases who are loyal but again it would come down to the indies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a shocking reflection on the US and US politics in general that these 2 geriatrics are going to be the candidates in the next election.

We will have to suffer listening to these 2 campaign for the next 18 months, some circus its going to be.

18 months of bullshit, and imagine if Trump was somehow relected, 4 more years of Liberals crying and fake news, its a frightful sight.

There seeems to be a dearth of capable politicians worldwide at the moment, I guess anyone with any sense or capability knows better and is better remunerated elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's the best option available. It looks like DeSantis isn't really going to contest the nomination so it's Trump vs Biden again and far as I could tell from his recent performance on CNN Trump is planning to run on the exact same platform that lost him the 2020 election by quite a margin. That's a decision that I don't really understand and unless he can so something, anything to win over some middle ground swing voters the election will play out much like it did in 2020. Biden isn't popular nationally, but he will always get more votes than Trump. It's a sad indictment of US politics that a lunatic and a geriatric are the only 2 options available.

DeSantis is right to sit this one out imo. Win or lose this is Trumps last shot at it and it will be much easier for DeSantis to cultivate the Trump base in an election if he hasn't fought a primary against him.

He has 4 more years of Republican state assemblies rigging the system in their favor.

Even on sympathetic news outlets, created by Republicans for Republicans, the House GOP cannot find any serious buyers of the claims they are peddling around this week about the "Biden Family Network" to try and justify their complete waste of time on this issue over, for example, examining the mental health/gun crises.

Have an ear open for some more Joe Manchin drama...

He's actively vowed to oppose all of Biden's EPA appointments.

That's because he stands to gain a ton, financially, from the dismantling of the EPA that was going on under Trump and lose a ton, financially, from the EPA regulating coal businesses he has ties to.

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) arrives for a vote at the Capitol on Wednesday. | Francis Chung/POLITICO

By SCOTT WALDMAN

05/11/2023 11:11 AM EDT

When Sen. Joe Manchin upbraided EPA on Wednesday for requiring power plants to reduce their carbon emissions, he didn’t mention that the agency’s rules could threaten his personal income.

The West Virginia Democrat vowed to oppose President Joe Biden’s EPA nominees because the agency’s rules being proposed Thursday could push coal- and gas-fired power plants “out of existence,” he said.

The risk to one plant, in particular, could jeopardize a lucrative source of money for Manchin. His family business Enersystems Inc. delivers waste coal to the Grant Town power plant, a financially struggling coal facility near Manchin’s hometown that he has spent much of his political career protecting.

The Grant Town plant has repeatedly threatened to shut down. Now, with the release of EPA rules that are expected to push many power plants into installing expensive technology to capture their carbon emissions before the pollution escapes into the sky, the plant faces an increasingly troubled future. Many coal plants might shut down rather than comply with the stringent new climate rules.

This doesn't seem like a seat Democrats will hold in 24' unless they primary Manchin. Republicans are planning to run 72-yr old Jim Justice, the current Republican Governor of West Virginia, part of a strategy being formulated by Mitch McConnell and the RNC.

For now it probably means that the functioning of the EPA is frustrated for the next few years if he sticks to his guns and is not removed from the energy committee - something they can't do without the votes either, recently Republicans blocked efforts to appoint a stand-in for Feinstein on the judiciary chair while she's been out with shingles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

'We can't track down the informant': James Comer says he lost top witness in Biden investigation

Things are going well I see.

Biden seems pretty happy with the fact that the Borderpocalypse that the right wing media has been predicting for months following the end of Title 42 didn't materialize as the sandwich boards predicted it would, despite single a single day record on day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Just like they couldn't find 'hilarys servers' or 'hunter's laptop', it's like they're all made up

<<insert Kevin spacey usual suspects gif>>

Apparently it's because they are like, you know, Spies, so they are used to hiding from people..

When even Maria Bartiromo is looking at you going "I'm sorry , what now???" you have left the reservation WAY behind..

They have so far claimed to have dozens of whistle-blowers and witnesses etc. and have yet to even provide a single name to the wider committee let alone actually have someone testify.

Congressional investigation being driven by posts on 4Chan.

Just pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Much like any evidence of election rigging in the 2020 Election

Advertisement