Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Your state there was a time when he had the mental and physical capacity, so when did that change exactly? Please be specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Where has he failed on the job? Seems like, as I posted above, there may be issues with his policies or the implementation, but we've not heard any articulated about it. Economy doing well, Ukraine still supported strongly, just got the budget reconciliation nonsense put off for 2 years, inflation coming down, stock market seemingly happy with the budget....

Of course, he could step down and VP Harris take over. Would you be satisfied with that? Would she do a better job?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The man is medically assessed on a regular basis. I'll take the word of actual doctors over the MAGA brigade any day.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Maybe Biden should get his own Ronny Jackson to claim that Biden can bench press 300kg and rule a 2 minute mile backwards....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Well a lot of trump and GOP supporters have publicly stated their support of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, or go with the Ukraine should just surrender because... route including a few on this very site, so naturally they would not be happy with Biden's support for the Ukraine.

Could be a number of reasons for that apart from trump's constant fellating of putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

With the level of intelligence they display online, print and other media surely they know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean with everything to do with the actual job he has done well. He has lead US efforts to support Ukraine which have crippled a rival superpower, I wouldn't give him credit but it is pretty clear Republicans would have abandoned Ukraine and emboldened Russia. The economy has recovered well. The US is still a pretty divided society and the retreat from Afghanistan did not go well but the only other option are those pushing for a more divided society and spearheaded the idea to retreat from Afghanistan which is a wider issue.

He seems to be fine after the falls. With elderly relatives falls are generally a big scare so he is doing well at his age to brush them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah he is being overly protected by the democrats no debates with would be challangers to his leadership after the fall we he will have less public outings. I can see more of American voters question his fitness for another 4 years and no one likes his VP

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And yet he continues to hand the GOP House majority their asses on a regular basis , how embarrassing that must be for them.

Joe Biden , Schrodingers President - All at once incompetent and senile but also beating the GOP every time they challenge him on something.

I mean when you look at the facts available it's almost as if one of those things is fabricated bollocks and the other is quantifiable fact.

Hmm.. I wonder which might be which???

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Are you actually interested in addressing any point made to you or do you just want to post the same lies followed by a stupid meme all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,823 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No, and he’s not even interested in his own ‘no debates’ bullshit argument, he’s made it before, and run off before when challenged on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah, there's not even an attempt at this point. It's just cynical attempts at pretending to be concerned and outrage.

If we're doing memes:

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭bewareofthedog

The lack of self awareness is incredible.

He will eventually fall and seriously hurt himself, if you've ever cared for old people once it starts it doesn't stop.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The issue isn't the frankly fake concern for him falling , it's the repeated attempts to suggest that tripping over a sandbag or the Stairs to AF1 or whatever equates to him being incapable of doing the job of President.

There is ZERO evidence that he is in any way compromised in his ability to do the job and in fact the only actual evidence available is strongly to the contrary given his repeated legislative victories over the GOP.

Every time the GOP lose to him on the Senate or House Floor we get this in-flux of "He's not all there , he's incapable" stories - All without any basis in fact.

He has handlers and a team telling him what to say/do all the time. Sure that's true for any President but I believe if they weren't catering to him the wheels would fall off very quickly. As far as there being no evidence of him messing up the job that's just not true.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/05/24/biden-walk-back-remarks/#:~:text=Two%20days%20later%2C%20back%20in,now%2C%20articulating%20a%20policy%20change.

Even if you do truly believe Biden is fully competent and doing a great job, what about two/three/four years down the line? Do you have confidence he'll still be doing a good job?

It's not a partisan issue, Trump is too old too he's only a couple years younger than Biden and his issues from a mental and cognitive side are obvious compared to his younger self, and Bidens issues, not just physical are obvious too.

That's not evidence. Evidence would be him failing a medical assessment, not whatever paywalled linkdump this is supposed to be.

You’ve been falling since you were a babe, don’t freak out.

I have - and I can tell the difference between falling over with no reason and falling over because a sandbag was left in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

it's an article from WaPo about Biden's WH having to walk back remarks he's made here and there (overseas mostly.) And they're gaffes.

Funny, I can remember another president who needed pretty much everything he said interpreted by others... now, was that a sign of inability to run the country? Hmm...perhaps it was in that president's case, but most of the insanity that 'un uttered was about social issues, 'good people on both sides' etc.

But, still waiting for some evidence Biden's doing a bad job; I've offered topics to debate, no responses so far, so I'll even prime the discussion a bit:

Was the withdrawal from Afghanistan handled well? Could President Biden have done something differently that might've made it go better? if he could have, state what it is and what about Biden prevented him from doing this better thing.

I'll throw out my opinion: Leaving Afghanistan was terrible for the people of Afghanistan, especially the women. The Afghan war of the last 20+ years improved Afghan women's lives, a rare thing for a war to accomplish, and of course the Taliban have undone their gains. President Biden should've just ignored the commitments his predecessor made and dealt with the heat it brought. Perhaps 'slow-walked' the disengagement to see how the Afghan government and military handled it.

However, his hands were tied. It's a tragedy for the women there.

• Advertisement

It's evidence of him saying the wrong things when he's off script and his handlers having to scramble and walk back the statements. Pigs will fly when white house doctors come out with a negative narrative about a Presidents's ability to do the job.

Ah , the old "he doesn't really know what's going on , it's the handlers" argument.. Fact Free Nonsense.

Would it be better if the President of the US was a 50 something person - Sure, but they aren't so the question becomes "Is Biden up to the job?" and all available evidence says yes he is.

Equally - The question of the 2024 election has a similar question to be asked.

Would it be better if there was a competent 40's/50's age candidate capable of winning a National Election for the Democrats? - Sure , that would be good.

However , there isn't and as such Joe Biden is the best available person to win the Election against whoever it is that the GOP finally choose.

I don't think anyone has ever said that Biden is the "best choice" , but he is definitely the "best choice available".

There is absolutely an entirely separate discussion to be had about why it is that there is such a paucity of genuine National level contenders across the board that don't already qualify for a pension.

Personally I think it's because the younger generation of Politicians have come up in a hyper-partisan environment in the last 15-20 years making them largely toxic to the "other side" and unable to win over Independents.

But right here, right now you've got work with what's available rather than wondering about how it could/should be if things were different.

It's isn't. It's nothing. You just dumped it here and proclaimed it evidence and now you've added a conspiracy theory.

It's evidence of him saying the wrong things when he's off script and his handlers having to scramble and walk back the statements.

That's not evidence of anything really.

That happens with every single World Leader.

How many times have we seen Presidents , Prime Ministers and indeed Taoisigh have to "walk-back" or "clarify" statements??

It's a near weekly occurrence around the world.

Do you believe everything Trump and his doctor said then after his medical assessments?

I think your last two posts are fair. I disagree with the general point about Bidens health. He's an old man and I think it's fair to question that especially with the frequent falls in public and issues with his wording. I'll leave it there.

The thread is about Joe Biden. I'm not interested in whataboutery.

It’s entirely moot, his lead contender is virtually as old as he is as was already pointed out about an hour ago on this thread.

Perhaps when the GOP primary is over and we learn that the battle of the Septeguinarians in 2020 is/is not on for a sequel in 2024 we can un-table that.

Biden is demonstrably more competent than Reagan, who was 77 and already battling dementia when he left office. Dismantled the freedom caucus during the govt shutdown standoff this week, played the entire party at the state of the union, protected social security, protected Medicare, Better than expected jobs report again, lower than expected border crossings, better than expected war supported in Ukraine, .. ah but he tripped over a grip’s sandbag oh no, get him out of there obv. Clearly the critics here are very serious and fixated on the real issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

How do you trip over something to your right by the teleprompter thing ? Unless there is another bag behind the marines walking forward.

• Advertisement

Yet you bring up Trump and the "right wingers" every second post when it suits your narrative. One might say that makes you a hypocrite, but far be it for me to judge.

Advertisement