Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It really isn't. Nobody knew that Putin would do something as stupid as his invasion of Ukraine. Trump, meanwhile has adopted a nauseatingly sycophantic stance towards the Russian Premier for as long as I can remember.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think it's a very accidental point in favour of Trump (it wasn't part of some grand strategy of his), but yeah.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Inflation has come down sharply and all the general economic indicators are very positive but the perception/reality on the ground doesn't reflect that.

I was in the US this summer for the 1st time since 2019 and I was shocked by the general prices increases.

A small trolley of groceries that I would have expected to pay about €75/€80 for here in Ireland cost me over twice that in Florida in June. Eating out was similarly expensive.

However , the problem is one of Corporate greed and not Government policy.

The Governments policies are working - Inflation is down , Unemployment is down , Construction projects etc. are up.

But Biden wouldn't have a hope of getting increased Corporate taxes or pricing legislation passed by a GOP led House so his ability to force change is extremely restricted.

What they need to do is a marketing campaign explaining where the cost increases are coming from and where that money is going to help voters understand where the problem is and more importantly which party is the more likely to do something about it if given the appropriate mandate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Seems to be a commonality amongst the Trump cultists that they just cannot read anything beyond the byline. Staggering how many times some shitpost about Biden, Democrats, or whatever has to be confronted with actual text from the body of the article being dumped.

It is partly one of corporate greed, but it should not be forgotten that salaries in the US are significantly higher also (outside of the lower 20% or so, but unfortunately in the US those people are always forgotten, but I'd struggle to say things have gotten significantly worse for them).

Telling people the economy is good actually and their views are wrong doesn't seem to be much of a vote getter either unfortunately.

There is also the elephant in the room that about 45% of the electorate would do a very quick about face and decide the economy is amazing if you just changed the President...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Every post not painting Biden, or the Democrats in a positive light is a shitpost it seems.

The poll I posted shows that Bidens popularity levels are in the basement, there are serious concerns about his mental/Physical Competence, 67% of Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters say the party should nominate someone other than Biden, plus many other genuine concerns.

These are serious concerns but no its shitposting, nothing to see at all.

Im tired of listening to people making excuses or trying to deflect away from these concerns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Your poll was about belief in a conspiracy theory. You just dumped text and a link with a snarky comment. What response were you expecting?

In another post, you said that the NYT had an article with a certain title. That was it.

And to top it all, you've gone back to that old MAGA trope of Biden being mentally unfit for office when the convicted rapist you spent years defending told people to shoot up on bleach.

You asked people to focus on Biden's policies but cannot identify a single one despite numerous requests to do so.

Honestly, this is beyond parody at this point.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It was always a possibility, and it's not as if people hadn't been saying it. Just the people that the folks in charge cared about (eg Berlin, Paris) weren't saying it, and those piddly little Eastern countries and that a-hole in the White House have no idea what they're on about and couldn't be right.

The folks with more 'weight' (read Western Europe) believed that their enlightened policies were correct. There were two problems.

1) Well, they weren't correct. The US and Eastern Europe were.

2) What is 'currently' happening is irrelevant when one considers that policy should be made on 'what can realistically happen'. It wouldn't take long for Russia to turn off the gas tap, to say "OK, let's charge into Ukraine", and both could happen faster than the EU could do anything about it. Whatever Trump's personal attitude towards Putin may have been, at the same time his Dept of Defense was re-aligning itself towards spending more money and effort into European security while simultaneously he was berating European countries for not taking their own security seriously. In the latter, he was certainly not the first US president to do so, but he was certainly the first to discard any particular tact on the matter which attracted the attention. But the EU leaders didn't like the messenger or the message. If nobody was listening to Vilnius or Tallinn being polite and diplomatic, maybe there wasn't any harm to a US bull in a china shop having a try.

• Advertisement

Europe was fundamentally wrong on this.

However, Trump's stance was not in good faith. I don't think he fundamentally understood what the NATO 2% commitment actually meant. If you will, right outcome/wrong process. Which happens sometimes.

Given Trump's history of sycophantic behaviour whenever Putin is concerned, I'll pass on the moralising. He legitimised tyranny and authoritarianism when we should be putting it to bed. If Trump were president, Kyiv would have had no US support.

Anyway, it's a topic for another thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You don't think that with Trump's history of narcissism and love for the military he would have held back from the possibility of crowning himself the saviour of Europe and going all-in with the US military defending Kiev? You can argue the chances over whether we might be in WW3 now or that Ukraine would be liberated and at peace, but it would not be out of his character do to so. Just think of the legacy he would have, there would be monuments in his honour. Just think of the military parade through downtown DC, like there was after the 1991 victory!

With his history of kowtowing to Putin, he might well have declared war on Kyiv in 2022. We'll never know. I honestly thought Covid would have done that for him, using his charisma to steer the country through it but he went for anti-vaxx conspiracies.

I think that's possible, but so would him doing a "deal" with Putin and then abandoning Ukraine when they didn't agree to it.

Honestly, no one knows. He had/has no discernible guiding principles.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No , because he'd have gotten bored within a very very short period of time and just roll over.

The idea that Trump could retain focus on anything other than himself for longer than a few weeks just isn't realistic.

He has the attention span of a toddler with a brain injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The poll does not ask if Biden is mentally unfit.

Utterly blatant misrepresentation.

You are the one twisting the results of the poll.

What else does the poll say - that the vast majority of those would vote for Biden if he is the candidate?

Therebt disproving your false twisting of it.

Or will you just as usual not engage with any question that highlights your misrepresentations - as you did already today about the NYT article?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I never said the poll said Biden is mentally unfit, I was replying to the false insinuation "you've gone back to that old MAGA trope of Biden being mentally unfit"

I didnt twist anything.

I will repost it again for you

Seriously Concerned Bidens Age might negatively affect his :

Ability to serve another Full Term: 76%

Current mental/Physical Competence: 73%

Asked directly about the potential effects of his age, majorities of Democratic-aligned voters say they are seriously concerned that Biden’s age might negatively affect his current level of physical and mental competence (56%), his ability to win the 2024 general election if nominated (60%), and his ability to serve another full term as president if reelected (61%).

Most Democratic-aligned voters younger than 45 say that Biden does not inspire confidence (63%), does not have the stamina and sharpness to serve effectively (64%), and that his policies have failed to improve the economy (64%).

You can keep burying your head in the sand but people have legitimate concerns about Bidens age, his stamina, sharpness etc.

Ah you said Biden was mentally unfit, then said "did you see the numbers in that poll."

Apparently though we weren't meant to draw the conclusion that the poll supported your claim, even though you mentioned them in the same sentence. It was utterly blatant misrepresentation and you know it.

But glad we settled that - the actual poll contradicts your false claims as usual.

Having "concerns" is not and was not what you were claiming.

The seriousness of these concerns can be judged from the question:

So how many people in the poll still said they would vote for Biden?

Nope, thats not what I said at all.

I originally said and I quote "The poll I posted shows that Bidens popularity levels are in the basement, there are serious concerns about his mental/Physical Competence, 67% of Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters say the party should nominate someone other than Biden, plus many other genuine concerns."

To which I received the reply "And to top it all, you've gone back to that old MAGA trope of Biden being mentally unfit for office when the convicted rapist you spent years defending told people to shoot up on bleach."

Note who mentioned being mentally unfit, it wasnt me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You can keep burying your head in the sand but people have legitimate concerns about Bidens age, his stamina, sharpness etc.

The exact same thing, probably word for word, was said about Biden before the election in 2020.

And he has gone on to be one of the most successful US Presidents in most of our life times. Objectively speaking.

I know you don't like Trump being mentioned but the reality is, you always consider someone's capability in the context of alternatives. And Biden has done nothing in his term that would suggest he is incapable of continuing to be a very capable President should he be elected next year. He's a million miles ahead of the other lad who will likely run against him. In terms of capability, experience, diplomacy, integrity etc etc etc.

You can't talk about 'legitimate concerns' about Biden, without also talking about the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You did go on about that conspiratorial crap about his handlers though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

Joe Biden's intellect is legendary,, History will mark him right up there with Abe Lincoln. And his first term in the White House is in no way Obama's third four year term. Barack is just there to fill in if Joe needs a nap.

Nothing to see here.

The only other US politician that even comes close to Joe's intelligence, is Kamala Harris,, and the world is lucky that she will take over if Joe falls down the stairs again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The most glaringly obvious observation of American politics right now is the fact that Biden's popularity has slunk completely into the ether. Debating the clear and honest fact that he is too old is about as worthwhile debating atheism with a religious fanatic.

Even the majority of Democrats , all credit to them , have raised their hands up and admitted Joe is a terrible front runner. You won't find a more progressive left winger than Uyger , here's what he has to say. . A far cry from what the true cultists are saying half a world away.

He is 3 years older now and has noticeably deteriorated.

And he has gone on to be one of the most successful US Presidents in most of our life times. Objectively speaking

I guess if you are 7 years old that might be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Noticeably deteriorated.... It's literally the exact same kind of clips of him occasionally fumbling a sentence. Meanwhile he's had a pretty successful presidency. Plus according to you he's running a criminal enterprise too so he's flying it. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Most Americans are not embroiled in political and cultural warfare in online echo chambers. How much a quart of milk and a tank of gas is more important than political tribalism. When Biden leaves office Americans will remember him the worst Potus known to mankind

• Registered Users Posts: 19,595 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Re that second clip, scroll back a page and you'll see a fox "reporter" explaining why he was knackered.

Do you want to have a look and come back to us?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

No one is complaining at the check out or gas pump about republicans dismantling the new deal though. They are complaining about inflation and blaming it on Joe Biden. Dismissing or deflecting peoples concerns isn't going to help the common perception that the presidents policies are to blame,

• Advertisement

No Americans will not.

Anyone who uses the phrase worst known to mankind is just self discrediting and demonstrating nothing more than their own ignorance of history and politics.

No even attempt to justify it as you know you cannot. Just slinging mud, an argument entirely without merit or foundation.

Advertisement