Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭richardkeiths

A month in office and the bombing has started.

Not surprised.

klu klux fran in the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

astrofool wrote: »
    Dave, do you agree with trumps policy of separating children from their parents on purpose, as a means to deter immigration?

Why don't donny supporters ever answer that question? Are they afraid of it?

It was no worse than Obamas policy or now joes policy. People would like to think that there was a period where it was more cruel because they didnt like trump , when its been the same level of moral or evil the whole time and theres no escaping that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

klu klux fran in the house

Another "new" poster suddenly dropping in to offer nothing to the discussion except another dumb post. How tedious.

It was no worse than Obamas policy or now joes policy. People would like to think that there was a period where it was more cruel because they didnt like trump , when its been the same level of moral or evil the whole time and theres no escaping that

you must be a troll!

Another "new" poster suddenly dropping in to offer nothing to the discussion except another dumb post. How tedious.

people here defending Trump is tedious.

The fox news president will go down in history as possibly the worst.

You guys may want a populist dictator for US president but its not in our interests.

The proof is the pudding me ole mucker 🙂

Why can't you answer the question in your own words instead of posting another stupid reply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

separating all children from their parents and then forgetting where you sent their parents is no worse than what happened before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

that is a false dichotomy. It is entirely possible that they are both.

It's not possible to be disingenuous without knowledge of the truth.

Can you explain how Biden's policies are no better than Trump's policies?

Can you explain how Biden's policies are no better than Trump's policies?

Obama built the cages and seperated children, trump did the same, joe is doing the same. The policy is the same level of badness under all 3 presidents.

• Advertisement

It's not possible to be disingenuous without knowledge of the truth.

entirely possible. you can erroneously think you understand a situation and be disingenuous in how you discuss it based on your understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

This just in;

Separating children as a deterrent for people coming into the country is exactly the same as ceasing this policy.

Carelessly losing people in the system is exactly the same as setting up a group to locate and reunite their kids with their parents.

Using "caravans" of immigrants as a stunt around election times is exactly the same as not doing that.

Obama built the cages and seperated children, trump did the same, joe is doing the same. The policy is the same level of badness under all 3 presidents.

Myself and another poster have explained exactly how they are not the same and then you post this.

Did Trump openly oppose and actively sever ties to any progressive legislation.

Yes, yes he did.

Did he incite a riot?

Did he actively use the divide in American for personal and political gain?

Did he use right wing media to legitimise a narrative of lies?

Certainly.

Did the man suggest bleach could defeat coronavirus?

Amazingly, yes.

The Russian had to have something on Trump the way he shied away from any criticism towards them.

May I ask where you go for political affairs news and information?

everlast75 wrote: »
    Myself and another poster have explained exactly how they are not the same and then you post this.

How was it used as a deterrant, what policy change from trump to biden changes it from deterrent to not bad ?

Secondly this ‘carelessly misplacing parents’ sounds like a lefty conspiracy theory rather than an intentional policy

I see no difference between what trump and biden are doing with kids in cages

You Trumpsters will stoop to any level to defend him, it's quite something .

entirely possible. you can erroneously think you understand a situation and be disingenuous in how you discuss it based on your understanding.

That would be ignorance and self-delusion. If you don't know the truth, you can't be deceitful about the truth. Being disingenuous is having knowledge but pretending to know less than you know.

Did Trump openly oppose and actively sever ties to any progressive legislation.

Yes, yes he did.

Did he incite a riot?

Did he actively use the divide in American for personal and political gain?

Did he use right wing media to legitimise a narrative of lies?

Certainly.

Did the man suggest bleach could defeat coronavirus?

Amazingly, yes.

The Russian had to have something on Trump the way he shied away from any criticism towards them.

May I ask where you go for political affairs news and information?

None of that is related to kids in cages, we’re not discussing trump in general, only the kids in cages

None of that is related to kids in cages, we’re not discussing trump in general, only the kids in cages

and where are you sourcing the information on that?

• Advertisement

You Trumpsters will stoop to any level to defend him, it's quite something .

“Biden is also bad for putting kids in cages” is not a defense of trump

“Biden is also bad for putting kids in cages” is not a defense of trump

sorry, i asked where you get your sources from?

sorry, i asked where you get your sources from?

Exclusively gemma o dohertys blog and breitbart ofcourse... :pac:

Youre not going to just berate me for spurces, deal with the topic at hand and tell me how the cages are different under joe .

How was it used as a deterrant, what policy change from trump to biden changes it from deterrent to not bad ?

If I go and do the research for you, and prove what I said to be correct, will you admit that you were wrong and there really is a difference between the two?

Youre not going to just berate me for spurces, deal with the topic at hand and tell me how the cages are different under joe .

Is it Biden's policy that the cages will used in exactly the same way as used by Trump?

That would be ignorance and self-delusion. If you don't know the truth, you can't be deceitful about the truth. Being disingenuous is having knowledge but pretending to know less than you know.

one can be disingenuous about what one thinks is the truth. that is the special stupidity of trump supporters.

• Advertisement

I knew youd come back with nonsense.

Youre just another taxi driver with a pointless opinion.

weve dealt with enough misinformation from the orange turd so debating with you is like pissing in the wind. You havent a notion :D

one can be disingenuous about what one thinks is the truth. that is the special stupidity of trump supporters.

Okay. No more semantics. We can agree on the special stupidity of the Trump supporters!

everlast75 wrote: »
    If I go and do the research for you, and prove what I said to be correct, will you admit that you were wrong and there really is a difference between the two?

If you can show me a hard policy difference that makes the cages materially ‘less evil’ then yeah, I will . But none of this ‘carelessly losing parents’ or other things that arent tangible, i dont want hearsay or comment or conjecture, hard fact written policy differences between TrumpCage and JoeCage policies

If you can show me a hard policy difference that makes the cages materially ‘less evil’ then yeah, I will . But none of this ‘carelessly losing parents’ or other things that arent tangible, i dont want hearsay or comment or conjecture, hard fact written policy differences between TrumpCage and JoeCage policies

oh so you want hard written fact now but you cant give any yourself

:pac:

quick man, Alex Jones is coming on youre going to miss it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It was a stated design of Trump policy to separate children from guardians on the basis that it would deter families from attempting to cross the border illegally due to the likelihood of their children being taken away from them and thrown into cages.

Obama, and now Biden, are simply dealing with the reality, in that some children attempt to cross without family and cannot be housed with adults.

Trump, the separating is a planned and wanted outcome. Biden it is a temporary situation until such time that the family can be located.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44303556

• Advertisement

For the record, I do have an issue with cage policy of any kind. However the fact the Biden administration isn't separating children from their parents is a pretty substantial fact that Cartman and Co are dodging. It's just incredibly disingenuous of them.

For the record, I do have an issue with cage policy of any kind. However the fact the Biden administration isn't separating children from their parents is a pretty substantial fact that Cartman and Co are dodging. It's just incredibly disingenuous of them.

Cartman is a troll. Waste of time debating with a biased misinformed individual

So are the biden cages different ?

If im a mexican child and I cross the us border illegally with my parents and we’re detained in these cages, how would I , as a child see a tangible difference between today and say 2 years ago ?

So are the biden cages different ?

If im a mexican child and I cross the us border illegally with my parents and we’re detained in these cages, how would I , as a child see a tangible difference between today and say 2 years ago ?

Because if you are a child and you cross with your parents you will not be separated from your family.

Under Trump's policy you would be forcibly removed from your parents and placed in cages without any people you know, for the purpose of creating fear and putting families off from attempting to cross.

Did you read the link I posted in response to your request for information? What are your thoughts on the differences?

Do you understand why Trump initiated his policy?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Because if you are a child and you cross with your parents you will not be separated from your family.

Under Trump's policy you would be forcibly removed from your parents and placed in cages without any people you know, for the purpose of creating fear and putting families off from attempting to cross.

Did you read the link I posted in response to your request for information? What are your thoughts on the differences?

In a nutshell.

Leroy42 wrote: »

But every media outlet seems to suggest that the child separations are restarting under biden. Regardless of perceived intent it seems the workflow is the exact same

But every media outlet seems to suggest that the child separations are restarting under biden. Regardless of perceived intent it seems the workflow is the exact same

Can you link to credible media outlets showing this? I'd be very interested in reading up on it.

Can you link to credible media outlets showing this? I'd be very interested in reading up on it.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/24/biden-is-locking-up-migrant-children-will-the-world-still-care-with-trump-gone

Eh, that article specifically states they aren't engaging in the separation policy... I object to putting children or adults being put in cages. But the policy is still tangibly different to the previous administration... And I would say parents who have no real idea where their child is as a result of the Trump administration would say that the difference is substantial.

There's absolutely nothing in this article to back up your point. Unaccompanied children does not mean that they have been deliberately separated from their parents.

• Advertisement

The amount of drivel that people post in order to try to make Biden (or Obama) look bad is disgusting.

Yes, Obama built detention centres. Unlike Trump, these detention centres were not built to house children that were forcibly separated from their parents nor were they used as long-term solutions. They were built only to house unaccompanied minors for typically at most 72 hours.

Why did they need to be built them in the first place? Primarily because there was an unexpected surge in the number of unaccompanied minors who appeared at the border. Between 2013 and 2014, the number of such minors rose by 80%.
    unaccompanied-children-apprehensions1.jpg

So, Obama's administration had to act fast. You can't just leave an unaccompanied minor wandering outside for days while it's decided what's best for them. So, they did what they could and had to use nearby warehouses to house some of these minors.

Such warehouse were not built with the idea of ensuring people did not attempt to leave them in mind (these minors were in the country illegally after all). So they had to put chain link around low walls (and to separate genders and younger children from older teens).

But if this was just a short term solution to deal with a sudden surge, why were the facilities not heavily improved over time you ask?

You guessed it: because of Republicans!

Obama actively sought to improve the conditions at these facilities by asking the Republican-led Congress for more funding.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/barack-obama-congress-child-migrants-108657

This was turned down by said Republicans and only a fraction of the requested amount was approved.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/29/republicans-deny-white-house-request-funds-migrant-crisis

If you wish to criticise Obama for this, you have to be able to answer all of the following questions:
    • What should Obama have done differently to deal with this sudden surge?
    • How do you feel about the Republican-led Congress turning down the amount Obama requested to improve these facilities?
    • How do you feel about Trump's zero tolerance family separation policy at the border?

I've have pointed this out a number of times, you seem incapable of dealing with it.

The intent of the Trump policy was to specifically separate children. Even if they were with their families, Turmp wanted them taken away because they felt the cruelty and fear would deter families from crossing

Biden doesn't have a seperateinon policy, so claiming it is just a difference of intent is nonsense.

Biden does have a policy of keeping unaccompanied children in a secure location until such time as their identities and who to return them to can be ascertained.

Apart from the fact that a child is involved in both, there is no similarity.

Do you acknowledge that they are completely different policies?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Secondly this ‘carelessly misplacing parents’ sounds like a lefty conspiracy theory rather than an intentional policy

I see no difference between what trump and biden are doing with kids in cages

Under Obama and now Biden - Unaccompanied Children were placed in facilities. Also if the Parents of a child were guilty of Felony crimes they were arrested and sent to Prison , meaning that the children also had to be taken away from them and placed into facilities.

Any other families that came over the border , the offense was considered a Misdemeanor (I think) ,not sure if I'm getting the exact criminal category correct but because it wasn't treated as a full on "felony" the families stayed together until their immigration status was clarified - Then they'd get sent back or asylum proceedings or whatever would start.

The specific policy change by Trump was to make ALL people crossing the borders felons , even if they presented themselves at an official border crossing!! , thereby meaning that every single child that came across the border was taken from their parents and put into a separate facility.

Not surprisingly this VASTLY increased the number of children impacted in this way and of course as it was the Trump administration they hadn't made any provisions for this increase leading to them using multiple hugely unsuitable facilities to deal with the volume and leading to the complete lack of administrative oversight which resulted in them losing children and not knowing their names or who and where their parents were.

That's the difference - Neither are great policies but the Trump change , made in such a cavalier and uncaring fashion made things substantially worse .

So that was a lie....

Thanks for that Eric. From the article:
    “the Biden administration is moving away from the ‘law-enforcement focused’ approach of the Trump administration to one in which child welfare is more centric”

And from the author of the article himself about Biden's policy:
    "Yes, it’s not as malevolent as the family separation policies of Trump"

So, your article proves that Biden's policy is better than Trump's policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You have posted no proof, just words.

When words are posted and are claimed as evidence but no citation provided the majority assume that it's been pulled out of thing air, conjured, made up, and it displays a distinct lack of awareness.
    When a posted dumps a link with 'what do you think of this', it also displays a lack of an ability to conjugate an opinion on the video provided.

Combine these two together and posts like that are derided as a walter mittyism with no grasp of reality and an ability to think for oneself.

Perhaps if these two factors were addressed, you would be taken more seriously.

alas, these types of posts continue again and again and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can we have some pudding please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I don't think we'll be seeing eric posting here for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

So, Eric Cartman, do you support the enforced separation of children from their parents (including making those children orphans due to not keeping records) as a way to discourage immigration?

Same repeated question to 12gauge dave and Quantum Baloney.

I will be shocked to
    a) get a reply
    b) not get a whataboutery reply

I can only imagine that Eric Cartman, 12guage dave and Quantum Baloney are perfectly OK with a government taking their children away (if they have any) while they themselves travel to other countries (just in case the country thinks that they are immigrating there).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

astrofool wrote: »
    So, Eric Cartman, do you support the enforced separation of children from their parents (including making those children orphans due to not keeping records) as a way to discourage immigration?

Same repeated question to 12gauge dave and Quantum Baloney.

I will be shocked to
    a) get a reply
    b) not get a whataboutery reply

I can only imagine that Eric Cartman, 12guage dave and Quantum Baloney are perfectly OK with a government taking their children away (if they have any) while they themselves travel to other countries (just in case the country thinks that they are immigrating there).

Considering eric has previously advocated for the shooting of dinghys to stop migrants and that'd he'd prefer migrants were murdered than be made share a landmass with them I don't think he has any issue with kids being separated and caged.

Advertisement