Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Considering eric has previously advocated for the shooting of dinghys to stop migrants and that'd he'd prefer migrants were murdered than be made share a landmass with them I don't think he has any issue with kids being separated and caged.

He can answer, and then we'll know what kind of person he is, and in what regard he holds his own children, if he has any.

Or he won't answer, and we'll assume what kind of person that he is, because whatever else I am, I do not support a government taking my children away from me if I were to cross into that country, I would actively fight them with any and all resources that I have, I would tear down that country piece by piece and I would ensure that those in charge of such a policy suffered as much as possible, because, for me, my children are more important than my politics. For Eric, Dave, and QB, they are putting an orange fart above their own family, and we can judge them appropriately for it. We'll also know, factually, that their opinions are worth less than other people who do put their families first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

The argument that Biden locks human beings into cages in a nicer way than Trump kind of misses the point lads.

It's OK to admit that caging immigrants is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The argument that Biden locks human beings into cages in a nicer way than Trump kind of misses the point lads.

Well actually it doesn’t at all. The point was that it’s been the same since Obama but it hasn’t been at all. That was the point, now you of course are free to have another point but in this conversation that was the point.

silverharp wrote: »

Amerika!!..Fnck yeah!!..

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    Well actually it doesn’t at all. The point was that it’s been the same since Obama but it hasn’t been at all. That was the point, now you of course are free to have another point but in this conversation that was the point.

Fair enough. I suppose my point is that there is no justification for locking humans seeking a better life into cages like animals. People defending it depending on which President they support are clutching at straws.

Fair enough. I suppose my point is that there is no justification for locking humans seeking a better life into cages like animals. People defending it depending on which President they support are clutching at straws.

Good thing no one is doing that then.

Good thing no one is doing that then.

So now the cages don't exist at all. Cool.

Not sure anyone here supported that at all and in fact one person that I’m sure you’d consider a Biden supporter has been quite clear on it.

You can reply to my detailed post about that earlier by answering the first of my three questions, or you can choose to continue to ignore my post. Your choice.

• Advertisement

You don’t understand what the poster said

Not sure anyone here supported that at all and in fact one person that I’m sure you’d consider a Biden supporter has been quite clear on it.

Someone above has denied its happening at all.

You don’t understand what the poster said

Are people being locked in cages or not, and is it wrong?

The mental gymnastics people do to support their political affiliations is embarrassing really.

Someone above has denied its happening at all.

No, I said no one here would defend such actions.

So you won't be replying to my post then? You're just going to keep asking people the same question even though you've already been given a detailed response to that question which you aren't replying to?

The mental gymnastics people do to support their political affiliations is embarrassing really.

Yes it’s wrong and again you didn’t understand what the poster meant

Example from myself, where do I justify it?
    Eh, that article specifically states they aren't engaging in the separation policy... I object to putting children or adults being put in cages. But the policy is still tangibly different to the previous administration... And I would say parents who have no real idea where their child is as a result of the Trump administration would say that the difference is substantial.

So you won't be replying to my post then? You're just going to keep asking people the same question even though you've already been given a detailed response to that question which you aren't replying to?

You've detailed why it happened. Your conclusion is it was the right move to cage them. And republicans made it worse. Ground breaking stuff.

It's still wrong.

Example from myself, where do I justify it?

I never accused you of justifying it. I haven't replied to a single post of yours.

You've detailed why it happened. Your conclusion is it was the right move to cage them. And republicans made it worse. Ground breaking stuff.

It's still wrong.

Well then reply to the three questions I asked.

• Advertisement

Well then reply to the three questions I asked.

1. Not caged them.
    2. Judging by my complaint that I don't agree with caging people, the answer is obvious.
    3. Same as above.

You are saying it was right to cage them. Said no one here defends such actions, yet your detailed post is designed to show why Obama had to do it. That's defending it.

I never accused you of justifying it. I haven't replied to a single post of yours.

The thing is, you've actively engaged in the topic as if posters are justifying it. They are not but it is substantially different to the previous administration's handling of it. And an improvement, not radical enough but still substantially different.

1. Not caged them.
    2. Judging by my complaint that I don't agree with caging people, the answer is obvious.
    3. Same as above.

You are saying it was right to cage them.

No, I am saying it was right to keep them in a detention centre temporarily until better accommodation was found.

You didn't actually answer my first question, have another go. Unless you are saying they should have slept on a bench outside?

The thing is, you've actively engaged in the topic as if posters are justifying it. They are not but it is substantially different to the previous administration's handling of it. And an improvement, not radical enough but still substantially different.

A poster above wrote a detailed post on why it was the correct move to cage people during the Obama administration.

No, I am saying it was right to keep them in a detention centre temporarily until better accommodation was found.

You didn't actually answer my first question, have another go. Unless you are saying they should have slept on a bench outside?

So you are clearly saying the cages are justified then. So I was right.

Was Obama right to use cages?

I've never once mentioned the word cages, but you can keep dodging the question if you like.

For what I believe is the sixth time of asking, what should Obama have done differently given the circumstances? And the answer is not "not what he did". I'm asking you, what was the other option he should have taken?

Well hello new poster, do you support the enforced separation of children from their parents (including making those children orphans due to not keeping records) as a way to discourage immigration?

I've never once mentioned the word cages, but you can keep dodging the question if you like.

For what I believe is the sixth time of asking, what should Obama have done differently given the circumstances? And the answer is not "not what he did". I'm asking you, what was the other option he should have taken?

Put them in facilities that weren't cruelly designed cages and show some humanity.

You labelling them as something different doesn't mean they weren't cages. Why do not call them cages?

astrofool wrote: »
    Well hello new poster, do you support the enforced separation of children from their parents (including making those children orphans due to not keeping records) as a way to discourage immigration?

Given that I'm against the ill treatment of immigrant, and every post I've made reflects that, why in gods name would I support that? Are you assuming because I am against caging immigrants that I must be a Trump supporter? Doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement

Put them in facilities that weren't cruelly designed cages and show some humanity.

You labelling them as something different doesn't mean they weren't cages. Why do not call them cages?

And if such facilities weren't available at the time, which was the case, what should have been done?

And if such facilities weren't available at the time, which was the case, what should have been done?

I don't believe that the US couldn't muster something better than crass and crude, dehumanising cages. So you are saying cages were the only option, so why are you saying that you don't justify cages, but are very clearly saying they were necessary? That's justification.

So you are saying cages were the only option, so why are you saying that you don't justify cages, but are very clearly saying they were necessary? That's justification.

I asked you a question first. I will gladly answer yours once you answer mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What do you think should be done with the illegal immigrants that are caught crossing the border? Where should they be housed while they are being processed?

I asked you a question first. I will gladly answer yours once you answer mine.

I don't believe the US couldn't do any better than crude, crass and dehumanising cages. They absolutely had the ability to make better facilities but it wasn't priority. They shouldn't have used cages, and international disgust reflects that.

So were the cages the right move?

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    What do you think should be done with the illegal immigrants that are caught crossing the border? Where should they be housed while they are being processed?

Sorry its hard to keep up with the pro cagers and the anti cagers in this thread. Even though nobody is supposedly justifying cages. Ill get back to you in a minute

• Advertisement

Given that I'm against the ill treatment of immigrant, and every post I've made reflects that, why in gods name would I support that? Are you assuming because I am against caging immigrants that I must be a Trump supporter? Doesn't make sense.

Perfect, so you agree that the previous administrations actions were abhorrent.

Next step is:
    • Should countries have borders at all?
    • What do you think should be done when an adult crosses the border?
    • What do you think should be done when a child crosses the border by themselves?
    • Do you agree with providing extra funding so better facilities than cages can be built?

I don't believe the US couldn't do any better than crude, crass and dehumanising cages. They absolutely had the ability to make better facilities but it wasn't priority. They shouldn't have used cages, and international disgust reflects that.

So were the cages the right move?

Yes, they had the ability to build better facilities after the surge began but the Republican-led Congress turned down Obama's request for funding to build such facilities.

So whose fault is it?

For guys that would absolutely never justify cages, you sure are doing a long of arguing to justify them. Ah to be mindlessly loyal to a political party.

Yes, they had the ability to build better facilities after the surge began but the Republican-led Congress turned down Obama's request for funding to build such facilities.

So whose fault is it?

You said you'd answer my question if Obama was right to use cages. So? Deal is a deal.

Sorry its hard to keep up with the pro cagers and the anti cagers in this thread. Even though nobody is supposedly justifying cages. Ill get back to you in a minute

There is at least 3 people supporting cages, and utilising them to purposely separate parents from their children, because of this it's at least better to state your starting point, I don't think anyone else here is advocating cages being used for anyone, but can understand why they were built when funds are low and the alternate is to have people confined to a patch of land in the desert.

• Advertisement

You said you'd answer my question if Obama was right to use cages. So? Deal is a deal.

Yes. He was to right to keep unaccompanied minors in an enclosure for up to 72 hours while better arrangements could be made as the only option was that or sleeping outside on a bench.

No one in this thread is advocating the use of cages, only that they were the best case scenario at the time, and you have presented no better options in any of your posts.

Your turn to answer my last question.

It's circle back Friday.

I have to assume, by your ongoing silence, that you are fine with governments purposely separating children from their parents, thus making any further posts made on the badness of Biden completely hypocritical, and an attempt to drag Biden down to your level.

Yes. He was to right to keep unaccompanied minors in an enclosure for up to 72 hours while better arrangements could be made as the only option was that or sleeping outside on a bench.

No one in this thread is advocating the use of cages, only that they were the best case scenario at the time, and you have presented no better options in any of your posts.

Your turn to answer my last question.

The cages were placed inisde roofed structures though, why was this necessary? The alternative would have been within the same structure but not caged. Providing some sense of dignity for immigrants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The cages were placed inisde roofed structures though, why was this necessary? The alternative would have been within the same structure but not caged. Providing some sense of dignity for immigrants.

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make here.

Was it the perfect solution, no nobody has tried to say it was. Earlier poster showed the rapid increase in unaccompanied minors that needed to be dealt with. Having cages allowed some separation so that all kids weren't thrown in together with the inevitable issues that would cause. You seem to be advocating that they simply be placed inside an open plan warehouse and let at it. No space for girls/boys, younger/older.

It was meant as a temporary measure, but again as an earlier poster pointed out, the Republicans refused to allow extra funds to build proper facilities.

Trump then took that and made it a specific goal to separate children, and did nothing to resolve the temporary cages issue, instead wasting billions on an ineffective an unfinished wall.

Biden has canceled that policy, but of course now we are back to the 'temporary' situation so hopefully the GOP can see the issues and agree to work with Biden to release the necessary funds to fix the issue.

What do you mean why was it necessary? They had to temporarily use warehouses, and warehouses tend to just be one large open floor rather than consisting of multiple rooms. If they are forced to use warehouses, what is your suggestion? Or do you think they should just let them roam free with the guards in the warehouse and potentially attack the guards, take their weapons etc. so they can escape?

Also, you did not answer my last question as I asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's circle back Friday.

]

Wouldn't it be great if it was 'questions were answered in an adult fashion' Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

duploelabs wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be great if it was 'questions were answered in an adult fashion' Friday

I think that is scheduled for March 14th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think that is scheduled for March 14th.

But that clashes with Pi day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

duploelabs wrote: »
    But that clashes with Pi day

OIP.Mf3y7Vimfb_BQ16KAem6nwAAAA?pid=ImgDet&rs=1

• Advertisement
Advertisement