Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hearsay about cognitive abilities is about par for course in contemporary discussion. That and references to evoking the 25th amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,580 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

And trump was assessed as we know with flying colours.

"person woman man camera tv"

The reality is it would be better for both parties to have younger candidates, but that's not gonna happen, so the choice is between these two.

And everyone knows there is only one choice there.

After all, Biden never confused the woman he raped with his ex wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Except in a binary choice of who will become president it is pertinent to compare the two, especially when it comes to who would have genuine concerns and who just project childish mindless tribalism, the former demonstrated by posts about both Biden's and trump's apparent mental decline. Speaking of which I'm trying to find your posts about trump's gaffs, yet I can't find them. Would that mean you're part of the latter group?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭mikefromcork

Ah the election is a choice between a rapist and an old man being accused of having memory issues. You seem to have done your assessments and chosen the rapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,907 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And the rapist is also an old man accused of having memory issues.

You couldn't make up the hoops some people will go through to 'justify' their stance against Biden.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've found it illuminating that nobody critical of Biden can actually put forward cogent criticisms of his actions and policies. It's always the tired old tropes of dementia, Sleepy Joe, dubious poll numbers and video dumps of his gaffes.

If you're going to base your opinion based solely on gaffes, Biden is objectively the superior candidate. I'll take the guy who went out of his way to know who al-Sisi and Mitterand are and were than the rapist who lost count of how many world wars there have been any day of the week.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

The point about having possible dementia is getting tossed back and forth. If we just assume that they *both* have dementia, and that they are the only two choices, then would people choose the one with dementia who's trying to be a statesman or the one with dementia who is using his scowling mugshot photo as an emblem of his campaign?

Answers below. 👇

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's quite telling in that nationalists don't give a crap about their own people. The Biden presidency has objectively made things at least a tiny bit better for many ordinary Americans. The Trumpsters can't refute that so we get video dump after video dump sprinkled with unsourced poll numbers.

I don't really care about his age. I care deeply about what he actually does and the fact that he's clearly proud of his Irish heritage is no bad thing either.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

It's amazing how many of the Irish people trashing Biden for something said in a clip from a speech couldn't bring themselves to watch any of Biden's speeches here...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

The world is screwed . Biden is doting , forgetting people’s names and confused . Trump is doting suggesting people inject themselves with cleaning products to protect against covid . Dear oh dear .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@hupdadup

Biden - Born: November 20, 1942 (age 81 years)

Trump - Born: June 14, 1946 (age 77 years)

Surely one could argue similar re age where Trump is concerned? Is it we have arbitrarily picked an age cut off of 80 I wonder?

In this debate about age it does come across that Trump is a young buck vs biden. We dont seem to hear the age issue where Trump is concerned, there is only 4 years in the difference

In my view to be an ACTIVE President ( rather than titular ) of any country a max age of 70 or even 65 should be considered OR if over 70 then ONE term only?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

SOTU is March 7th. I expect Biden to once again tear down the house just like last year...

If you've been paying any attention to Trump lately, he has been more than confused mixing up a name here and there, streams of gibberish coming out of him. But the dump feeds of pro Trump propaganda you've getting this from won't show you that.

Self discrediting nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@hupdadup "Trump is energetic and sharp, where as joe is often times slow and confused."

We will agree to disagree there TBH.

As many people who say Biden is not mentally fit for office will say similar of Trump. A simple google search using either name with MENTAL added in search shows articles on this debate for a long time.

What I am essentially saying is where there is a PRESIDENT position that has actual huge powers like USA that has profound effect on the whole world vs a titular head .. then age should come into it where mental and physical facualties are taken into account. The pool of people at 70+ let alone late 70s and then 80s who are PHYSICALLY and mentally at there peak to be able to handle such an office is quiet small I imagine?

So in this case, I THINK, Just my opinion .. for such a high powered position an age cut off should be in place - 65 to 70 and if it has to be, a president whos age is 70 to 75, then a max of one term.

And I am not a young buck being ageist - Pushing toward retirement in a few years myself.

Here's another one of Biden on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,276 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mmmm, and lest we all forget, Trump couldn't even remember who his wife was in the E. Jean Carroll sexual assault case.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,792 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,276 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, they can't put forth any policy arguments, because that would require them to elaborate on Trump's policies and there aren't any. So, it all just comes down to a childish slagging effort where the people who are trying to make out that Biden is in "cognitive decline" end up looking like fools, because "their" guy doesn't come out of that line of fire smelling like roses either. Not to mention the fact that he's a sex offender, a fraud, and has a litany of court cases stacked against him.

What a guy.

But he has the fires of youth burning inside him at.... <checks notes>... 77.

Once again, everything conservatives say is disposable.

• Advertisement

Comparing the two, like you referred to, in the past week and on camera, Trump referred to Haley as Pelosi and admitted there was in fact an insurrection while his lawyers were in court arguing the contrary.

Yet you do not mention these at all.

The report itself is from a Trump appointee who opines that Biden's not remembering may be part of a legal strategy and mentions it in the context of how he would appear to a jury. Biden, as I've already pointed out, gave a 5 hour interview while Israel were attacking Gaza.

He also clears Biden and thereby destroys the both-sidesism put forward by Trump supporters.

Now, if your argument is to be taken as genuine, in that there should be a cut off point for statesmen, then okay. That is a debate that should occur. But until the, then there are three options for the American public;

1) Do not vote for Joe Biden, thus increasing the chances of Trump being elected

2) Vote for Trump, with the same result as number 1) above

3) Vote for Joe Biden

That's it.

They are the choices, failing something cataclysmic between now and November.

So on the one hand you can vote for the 81 year old man who can be forgetful, but who has zero criminal indictments, was not found liable for sexual assault and rape, was not found guilty of defamation to the tune of $83 million plus, has had 12 years of service as Vice-President and President and was never impeached, nor did he cause riots at the Capitol Building.

Or, you know, you could go for options 1) or 2) above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

There is definitely a conversation to have about an upper age limit for the presidency, but it’s just not possible to legitimately think that Trump wouldn’t be a part of that. Either they’re both too old or neither of them are.

Considering their is a minimum age limit for the POTUS position, would be sensible to have a maximum age. Might also be worth introducing terms limits in congress but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The minimum age thing is in the Constitution from the beginning (1789?). There was no upper limit then, as people didn't live very long then.

Any discussion on presidential longevity should reference Jimmy Carter. Still hanging in there at ninety nine. If Kissinger can make it to one hundred, I hope he can too.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Do they want their president raping people instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

@hupdadup just doesn't have the same level of hate for rapists as us.

"So you would re-elect Biden out of hating Trump alone?"

I think you need to read my post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otagepingi

Media-managed mask beginning to slip?

He's not being prosecuted because they think a jury of Americans would see him as a frail old man with bad memory.

It seems increasingly like elder abuse to see him shuffling and mumbling/shouting. One feels kind of sorry for the fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's a possible scenario, I wouldn't be viewing it as likely atm. Worth noting that him facing an actual conviction could rapidly change the mindset of the voting public. Secondly polling this far out from an election doesn't say a whole lot. Incumbents polling badly this far out is not unusual. Here's the polling on Romney just weeks before the election.

You've gone off on a tangent about posters hatred of Trump as if it's unjustified or delusional. There's plenty to hate trump for. Egging on an insurrection, rape, his criminality and the fact that he laps up the support of white supremacists.

Fyi, that other quoted post seems to imply you don't even believe he's a rapist?

Advertisement