Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Comments

As of Friday, more than 900 children were waiting in Border Patrol stations to be transferred to a shelter, according to a person familiar with the number, with 100 of them waiting longer than the 72-hour limit permitted by law.

From April to June 2018, Trump's family separation policy resulted in 4,368 children being separated from their parents, and that policy had no measures to reunite them.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-01-18/u-s-officials-say-they-are-highly-confident-to-have-reached-tally-on-separated-children-4-368
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/29/politics/family-separations-reunification-never-plan-court/index.html

Are you going to comment about that as many have asked you to, or are you going to keep your fingers in your ears like the good little seal that you are and continue with your faux outrage?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭Cody montana

President Biden is going to have to implement more stern approach to his southern border this can't go on.
    His softer approach is leading to a sharp increase in numbers.

As of Friday, more than 900 children were waiting in Border Patrol stations to be transferred to a shelter, according to a person familiar with the number, with 100 of them waiting longer than the 72-hour limit permitted by law.

WASHINGTON—The number of unaccompanied immigrant children arrested for crossing the U.S. southern border illegally is on pace to rise more than 50% in February compared with the previous month, people familiar with the matter said, raising the prospect of a humanitarian crisis there.

About 2,200 children have been illegally crossing the border weekly in February, and the pace is picking up as the month progresses, some of the people said. The government is projecting that about 9,000 children will be taken into custody by the end of February.

And what’s your opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

And what’s your opinion?

President Biden is going to have to implement a more stern approach to his southern border as this can't go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

From April to June 2018, Trump's family separation policy resulted in 4,368 children being separated from their parents, and that policy had no measures to reunite them.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-01-18/u-s-officials-say-they-are-highly-confident-to-have-reached-tally-on-separated-children-4-368
    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/29/politics/family-separations-reunification-never-plan-court/index.html

Are you going to comment about that as many have asked you to, or are you going to keep your fingers in your ears like the good little seal that you are and continue with your faux outrage?

Why are you bringing up Trump? The poster is stating the current situation, this "oh my guy isn't as bad as your guy" nonsense is so childish and unconstructive.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Why are you bringing up Trump? The poster is stating the current situation, this "oh my guy isn't as bad as your guy" nonsense is so childish and unconstructive.

I see you're new to this thread. Perhaps have a look at that poster's post history and then come back and tell us who is the childish and unconstructive one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

President Biden is going to have to implement a more stern approach to his southern border as this can't go on.

Didn't get the response/attention when you posted it an hour ago so you repost it?
    President Biden is going to have to implement more stern approach to his southern border this can't go on.

WASHINGTON—The number of unaccompanied immigrant children arrested for crossing the U.S. southern border illegally is on pace to rise more than 50% in February compared with the previous month, people familiar with the matter said, raising the prospect of a humanitarian crisis there.

About 2,200 children have been illegally crossing the border weekly in February, and the pace is picking up as the month progresses, some of the people said. The government is projecting that about 9,000 children will be taken into custody by the end of February.

Thankyou.
    Despite this being a Biden thread and a warning in the first post that Trump talk is for the trump threads by moderators this is their go to defense.

What a bizarre post, do I have to pick a side? Not allowed to have independent/non biased opinion?

Hmmm so which extreme will I go with? Which opinion will get me the most likes?

Seriously grow up

I don't know what that has to do with what I just said, but I have reported this post for obvious reasons.

Didn't get the response/attention when you posted it an hour ago so you repost it?

What exactly about his post is giving you the hump? Are parts incorrect?

• Advertisement

What exactly about his post is giving you the hump? Are parts incorrect?

I would highly recommend just spending 30 seconds looking through his post history. You will understand better.

I would highly recommend just spending 30 seconds looking through his post history. You will understand better.

But I don't care about his post history, I was commenting on a single post he made, or more so the reaction to it, and I wanted to understand why people were reacting to his post when it contained nothing controversial and just stated facts, if he is making stuff up then point it out.

I mean reporting my post because I don't automatically agree with you is the definition of cancel culture.

But I don't care about his post history, I was commenting on a single post he made, or more so the reaction to it, and I wanted to understand why people were reacting to his post when it contained nothing controversial and just stated facts, if he is making stuff up then point it out.

You believe he made this post so that we could have a constructive debate about it right?

Wrong. That poster doesn't understand what the term constructive debate is. He consistently ignores any questions he is asked if answering that question weakens his argument (including questions about what he has posted, not just out of context questions about Trump) while also consistently posting nonsense.

He does not deserve the effort of any poster to reply to him as he will just ignore that reply if it reflects badly on his opinion rather than try to instead constructively defend his opinion, but will then come back the next day and post something completely different that he found during his daily "Biden is bad" Google search.

He is doing nothing but posting in bad faith and deserves nothing but to be ignored.
    I mean reporting my post because I don't automatically agree with you is the definition of cancel culture.

I reported your post because you told me to grow up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭weisses

Thankyou.
    Despite this being a Biden thread and a warning in the first post that Trump talk is for the trump threads by moderators this is their go to defense.

You are hilarious
    Yes that is fact 100% case closed

Trump:
    “They did it. We changed the policy and they built the cages. We did not build the cages.” Did the Obama administration build the cages?

Fact check:

The Obama administration did build the cages Trump alluded to. The facility Trump mentioned was built with chain-link fencing by the Obama administration in 2014 in a warehouse in Nogales, Ariz. The makeshift shelter was built in response to an exodus of unaccompanied immigrant children from Central America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭weisses

But I don't care about his post history

You should .... Things will make more sense

Good God, this should be a meme.

Anyhow I will leave ye to it.

• Advertisement

Good God, this should be a meme.

Anyhow I will leave ye to it.

Thank you for contributing to this thread with your 4 posts calling out people for not directly responding to that post, and also for your 0 posts that directly responded to that post. We greatly appreciate it.

How many times have you said far worse things to me in here?

You should hang your head in shame you hypocrite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thankyou. Despite this being a Biden thread and a warning in the first post that Trump talk is for the trump threads by moderators this is their go to defense.
    Well I never bring his name up. You won't respond to posts which prove you are wrong. What's the point in you posting at all if you won't admit, or even respond, when you are proven wrong? Like why shouldn't everybody just put you on their ignore list? And you are almost always wrong in what you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Suggest some sterner approaches Biden should take.

Should he start purposely separating children from their parents, for example?

Lots of times. And there's a big difference - I have justified why you are those things. If you think I was wrong, you are free to explain why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Put away your pearls, were you personally attacked or just the usual twaddle you peddle?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, you guys are very lucky as I've been so busy elsewhere this evening

All this is very basic:
    1. Stick to the topic - that's Biden's presidency if any of you are confused
    2. Attack the post, not the poster
    3. Do not backseat moderate. Yes report stuff, but stating you've reported is attempting to pre-judge. leave the modding to the mods

You all know all of this because you've seen these rules being applied. So why can't you do these simple things? It's a rhetorical question BTW and if you are struggling to comprehend drop me a PM and I will try and make it even simpler (if that is possible) for you

Now back to the topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Beasty wrote: »
    OK, you guys are very lucky as I've been so busy elsewhere this evening

All this is very basic:
    1. Stick to the topic - that's Biden's presidency if any of you are confused
    2. Attack the post, not the poster
    3. Do not backseat moderate. Yes report stuff, but stating you've reported is attempting to pre-judge. leave the modding to the mods

You all know all of this because you've seen these rules being applied. So why can't you do these simple things? It's a rhetorical question BTW and if you are struggling to comprehend drop me a PM and I will try and make it even simpler (if that is possible) for you

Now back to the topic

Well.. You know how to break up a party...

Anyway... Biden...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Reuters. Well done Biden. Trying to mitigate the cruelty of the previous administration. At last there is compassion in the White House again.

The United States could pay for transportation, healthcare, legal services, and career and educational services for migrants separated under former President Donald Trump’s “zero tolerance” border strategy, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said on Monday.

The announcement is part of a list of principles released by the administration of U.S. President Joe Biden to guide its family reunification task force as the administration seeks to reunite more than 500 migrant children and parents separated by his predecessor’s border policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hmm. Not rolling over for Putin. How refreshing. About to sanction Russia over various things including Navalny, bounties, SolarWinds,...

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/01/politics/biden-administration-russia-sanctions-alexei-navalny/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Also the Saudis. The US has been too soft on that regime

Reuters. Well done Biden. Trying to mitigate the cruelty of the previous administration. At last there is compassion in the White House again.

The United States could pay for transportation, healthcare, legal services, and career and educational services for migrants separated under former President Donald Trump’s “zero tolerance” border strategy, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said on Monday.

The announcement is part of a list of principles released by the administration of U.S. President Joe Biden to guide its family reunification task force as the administration seeks to reunite more than 500 migrant children and parents separated by his predecessor’s border policy.

That's great news but what is he going to do to stop the record numbers arriving at the moment since he has taken presidency?

That's great news but what is he going to do stop the record numbers arriving at the moment since he has taken presidency?

It is great news isn't it? Glad you're pleased.

To your question. You'd have to ask Joe, but I would think he will be welcoming those record numbers with even more compassion:

The new administration plans to raise the annual ceiling for refugee admissions to 125,000, which is not only a sea change from Trump’s near-total gutting of the refugee system, but also a higher figure than even the peak number under the Obama administration (110,000). It also has imposed a 100-day moratorium on most deportations, and is likely to cut back on many even after.

Bet this will make you feel even happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

That's great news but what is he going to do to stop the record numbers arriving at the moment since he has taken presidency?

Well unlike Trump he probably wont look to exploit them by hiring them to work at one of his camps resorts...

It is great news isn't it? Glad you're pleased.

To your question. You'd have to ask Joe, but I would think he will be welcoming those record numbers with even more compassion:

The new administration plans to raise the annual ceiling for refugee admissions to 125,000, which is not only a sea change from Trump’s near-total gutting of the refugee system, but also a higher figure than even the peak number under the Obama administration (110,000). It also has imposed a 100-day moratorium on most deportations, and is likely to cut back on many even after.

Bet this will make you feel even happier.

So your saying he is just going to let more people in?
    That is his response?

Genius.

• Advertisement

So your saying he is just going to let more people in? that is his response?

Yes, that's what the article says. 125,000 to be exact. And treat existing immigrants with more compassion by cutting back on deportations. That compassion is great isn't it? Feel good?

Yes, that's what the article says. 125,000 to be exact. And treat existing immigrants with more compassion by cutting back on deportations. That compassion is great isn't it? Feel good?

Compassion is not going to stop immigrants arriving in record numbers I'm afraid it is doing quite the opposite.

Compassion is not going to stop immigrants arriving in record numbers I'm afraid it is doing quite the opposite.

Explain why migration is an issue?

Despite what trump says they're not all rapists and drug dealers, in fact they're statistically less likely to commit crime or be a burden on the state

I'm sure you will happily agree that the US can easily do its bit for humankind by taking in 125,000 per annum. But there is even more good news than that. There are 11 million undocumented immigrants who Biden hopes to make legal. This is fantastic news:

The Biden policies would provide major benefits to American society. Bringing undocumented immigrants out of the shadows would increase their productivity and facilitate assimilation. Increasing employment visas and other migration would further expand immigrant contributions to America’s economy. Immigrants contribute disproportionately by starting new businesses at higher rates than natives, and making major contributions to scientific and other innovation. Immigrant scientists and medical workers have played a major role in improving health care, including being responsible for both of the new COVID-19 vaccines approved by the U.S. government.

Happy days, wouldn't you agree?

I'm sure you will happily agree that the US can easily do its bit for humankind by taking in 125,000 per annum. But there is even more good news than that. There are 11 million undocumented immigrants who Biden hopes to make legal. This is fantastic news:

The Biden policies would provide major benefits to American society. Bringing undocumented immigrants out of the shadows would increase their productivity and facilitate assimilation. Increasing employment visas and other migration would further expand immigrant contributions to America’s economy. Immigrants contribute disproportionately by starting new businesses at higher rates than natives, and making major contributions to scientific and other innovation. Immigrant scientists and medical workers have played a major role in improving health care, including being responsible for both of the new COVID-19 vaccines approved by the U.S. government.

Happy days, wouldn't you agree?

Oh yes absolutely wonderful indeed.

He does change his mind Mr Biden its hard to know what his beliefs truly are?

He used to want he wall but now he doesn't.

When he was last in office as VP his administration had ICE deport more than Trump even.

In fiscal 2018 – the most recent year for which complete data is available – CBP and ICE together carried out 337,287 removals of unauthorized immigrants, a 17% increase from the previous year, according to the Department of Homeland Security. But removals remained below the levels recorded during much of the Obama administration, including a three-year period between fiscal 2012 and 2014 when there were more than 400,000 per year.

While you might be all pro immigration here 54% of the USA disagree with you.

A little over half of Americans (54%) said in a September 2019 Pew Research Center survey that increasing deportations of those in the country illegally is a very or somewhat important immigration policy goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I don't get how 'more people' makes any state better? Especially an already economical superior one.

And won't this move just encourage more to come, in the knowledge somewhere down the line they'll be given citizenship.

What is it the US are lacking that they need the talents of people from foreign countries?

AllForIt wrote: »
    I don't get how 'more people' makes any state better? Especially an already economical superior one.

And won't this move just encourage more to come, in the knowledge somewhere down the line they'll be given citizenship.

What is it the US are lacking that they need the talents of people from foreign countries?

It already is encouraging them to arrive in bigger numbers.

When feelings are left at the door this can't be denied its facts.

The entire hospitality industry utilises migrant workers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

People to do the jobs many Americans won't do - like cleaning the toilets in a Trump hotel.

• Advertisement

People to do the jobs many Americans won't do - like cleaning the toilets in a Trump hotel.

But I thought he is a racist and would never have mexicans near any of his hotels would he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

But I thought he is a racist and would never have mexicans near any of his hotels would he?

By that ridiculous logic slave owners weren’t racist.

Oh yes absolutely wonderful indeed.
    Great. Glad you approve.
    He does change his mind Mr Biden its hard to know what his beliefs truly are?

Well, if we are to judge him by his actions, he wants to increase immigration and make existing immigrants legal. So they are his beliefs. More compassion to immigrants and existing immigrants.
    He used to want he wall but now he doesn't.

Oh that. Yeah, a nothingburger.
    When he was last in office as VP his administration had ICE deport more than Trump even.

In fiscal 2018 – the most recent year for which complete data is available – CBP and ICE together carried out 337,287 removals of unauthorized immigrants, a 17% increase from the previous year, according to the Department of Homeland Security. But removals remained below the levels recorded during much of the Obama administration, including a three-year period between fiscal 2012 and 2014 when there were more than 400,000 per year.

That was because Trump stopped more people coming in and jailed immigrants for much longer periods. So...Obama deported more but left more people in. Much as Biden intends to do with his 125,000 figure. Just a tad more than Obama used to let in. More of the same as was under Obama.
    While you might be all pro immigration here 54% of the USA disagree with you.

Au contraire. A more recent Gallup poll, July 2020, shows that 77% of Americans believe that immigration is good for America.
    A little over half of Americans (54%) said in a September 2019 Pew Research Center survey that increasing deportations of those in the country illegally is a very or somewhat important immigration policy goal.

A poll from February this year shows that 69% of voters support Biden's intention to legalise undocumented immigrants.

So, Joe is the man! Great isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,568 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he has no issue with them working for him for minimum wage. assuming he even pays them minimum wage. exploiting them is not a problem for him, considering them his equal quite another. cf. slaveowners in the south.

Great. Glad you approve.

https://youtu.be/99GQ9Q6mBVs

Oh yes a real nothing burger you push to the side when Mr compassion is talking about how he voted for 700miles of wall to keep them out.

Has he not opened another concentration camp for kids though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Has he not opened another concentration camp for kids though?

No

No he hasn't.

Great. Glad you approve.

https://youtu.be/99GQ9Q6mBVs

Oh yes a real nothing burger you push to the side when Mr compassion is talking about how he voted for 700miles of wall to keep them out.

Yes. What was the context of Biden's speech in that? Your video only showed 30 seconds.

So, by ignoring the rest of my post, I'm assuming you agree with it. Excellent. It really is great to see a compassionate POTUS once again isn't it?

Yes. What was the context of Biden's speech in that? Your video only showed 30 seconds.

So, by ignoring the rest of my post, I'm assuming you agree with it. Excellent. It really is great to see a compassionate POTUS once again isn't it?

So was he lying then about wanting the walllor lying now about not wanting it?

He is lying one of the times.

Fair play to Biden. From your own article:

What we are not doing — what the last administration did — was separate kids, rip them from the arms of their parents at the border," Jen Psaki, the White House press secretary, told reporters Wednesday.

"We are not doing that," Psaki, 42, said. "That is immoral and that is not the approach of this administration."

And:

CBS News recently reported that 5,700 children arrived unaccompanied at the border in January. That number was the highest one-month total in recent years, according to the Post.

As of Sunday, the paper reported about 7,000 children who arrived without accompaniment were in HHS custody.

Migrant children detained by the department stay in facilities an average for 42 days, according to the Post, while the HHS under Biden said its goal is for children to stay no longer than 30 days.

"Our objective is to move these kids quickly from there to vetted, sponsored families and to places where they can safely be," Psaki said Wednesday.

A compassionate response as usual from Biden.

• Advertisement
Advertisement