Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

…because there is plenty of evidence to the contrary from months of Trump rallies where is he has been anything but "sharp & composed".

• Registered Users Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I haven't seen Biden do anything as insane as Trump spouting drivel about electrocuting sharks, or bleach during covid. Trump is unhinged. Also a rapist. A felon. Tried to steal an election.
    So sharp he cuts himself, as he continually puts himself in contempt of court, or repeats defamatory statements.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,552 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Because we're not forming a judgement based on a singular event. Tell us why we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He wasn't sharp, he just appeared to be sharp. What he actually said was lie after lie. But when compared against Biden he seemed so much more together and composed.

In reality, if Trump gave the exact same performance but was against a younger and less frail candidate then people would have been talking about Trump's deficiencies.

For this reason, they have to get rid of Biden. It's too important a vote to let sentimentality or loyalty get in the way and risk Trump winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Piskin

The Dem media has tried to cover up for Biden the last 4 years but the debate the other night was seen by the American people for what it really is. Biden was and is not fit to be president.

• Advertisement

Trump was sharp. Biden appeared not sharp does that mean he was sharp by your logic? Trump is much more smarter than Biden is or ever was for that matter.

Repub media has tried to cover up for Trump blah blah blah.

Do you see how this can go? Assess both of them what they do/did in the job and how they behave and what they say themselves in public.

I wish I wasn't here defending Biden, I hoped he'd have done a solid first two years in office and then transitioned Harris more and more to a public display of competency and involvement so that right now we'd be preparing for a Harris / Buttigeig or Newsom or whoever ticket but she never stepped up to the plate in this respect (Biden was the last VP who did so BTW).

And as I said in a detailed post half an hour ago, Biden has performed exceptionally well (for the US) as President. That is objective and you can try to ignore that reality and the reality of Trumps term all you want, but doing so is part of the problem that you're ranting about when blaming the media.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Is there any evidence that she has sent professional emails regardless of which server she used? I mean, I get that VPs are invariably in the background and don't normally do a whole hell of a lot. Runs NASA' Space Council, I think. She was publicly placed in charge of the border crisis, something which was identified as a poisoned chalice at the time. Well, the border is still a disaster, I can't name a single thing she did except visit a couple of central American countries to say "we have to stop migration at the source", and that poisoned chalice is going to now bite. Even Dick Cheney was in the news more, for reasons other than shooting someone on a hunt. (Which, in fairness, Harris has not done, but "I didn't accidently hurt anyone" is a pretty damned low bar to clear after three years"). Even Pence, if he did nothing else, made the decision to follow rule of law on 6 Jan.

I suspect the best precedent will be Wilsons In the 1920s. When Woodrow was medically incapacitated, instead of handing over to the VP, in effect his wife ran the executive branch. Granted, back then the Federal Government didn't actually have much power, so it wasn't, relatively speaking, all that important, but it is a precedent. Not that I'm saying Jill should take over per se, but at least there is a reasonable chance of a "ruling council" to keep things ticking over until better options become available, even if it's just to hand over to Harris some time after the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,360 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Very funny to see Trump supporters trying their hardest to convince others Biden should step aside, while their lad stands there, liable for sexual assault and a convicted felon multiple times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Just because people think a clearly senile man should step aside doesn't make them a Trump fan. I'd say most people would rather both stand aside.

• Advertisement

The media were exposed the other night by that debate. Yes the media are biased on both sides for sure and should not be. The spin put on Biden was seen by all and that is a fact. Even CNN are scrambling to rectify their biased spin. You it seems are ignoring the reality if you are continuing to ignore the reality by defending Biden when you say you wish you weren't!!

And with charges of stealing classified information and trying to strong arm election officials in to influencing the outcome of an election hanging over him.

Charges on which are supported by audio and visual images that we've all heard and seen. Not to mention his role on the storming of the Capitol in another attempt to influence the outcome of the last Presidential election.

If Beau hadn't died, Biden may have ran against Trump in 2016. He ran in 2020 because he could see what Trump had done and recognized he was the best bet to beat him. I believe he'd be as happy if he wasn't running again, but such are the circumstances. Even if Biden had stepped aside for this term and Kamala had been playing a very prominent role, the media could have spun it as his term was a failure and he was afraid to run again. Her not being in a position to be a contender has meant that its him, or painting the picture for Republicans for them that the term wasn't a success. Which it has been.

Trump supporters very much want Biden to stay in the race,

I'm literally focusing on reality.

You're focusing on what the media is telling you reality is. You're literally telling us again and again that that is where you are taking your lead from.

Did you actually watch that debate the other night with you own eye's?

Yes.

Did you? What did you think of all the lies Trump told?

And what else have you watched for form your opinion on them? Did you watch Biden at the state of the Union which was a very strong performance?

Have you watched Trump stumble, lose his way, get names wrong, make other mistakes at various rallies in recent weeks? Or are you telling us that you are forming the entirety of your opinion on this matter on this debate? Is that what you are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BLFOTR

Just seen a piece there on CNN of all places about the amount of lies Biden told the other night in the debate. We all know Trump lies because his lips are moving but Biden told fib after fib he really is turning into the Walter Mitty of politics at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 BLFOTR

I think if anything we may see a row back of attack adds on Joe the next few weeks by the Trump campaign. It's vital for them that Biden isn't overboard yet and in reality they are praying he makes it to the election. Can't see it happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I’d say he was deliberately muted and toned down- it was all by design- had he been the normal ranting idiot, he wouldn’t have shown up Biden so much

Trump wasn't sharp, but he was able to give full answers without sounding confused. So the initial impression is that he's on top of things. Even though if you dig into what Trump was actually saying it was lie after lie, stuff being made up on the spot.

Comparing how smart Trump or Biden is or was is a pointless exercise too, you can be smart and a liar too.

My point is this: Biden made Trump look better during the debate. A competent and younger candidate would have made Trump look like the gangster he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,360 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

"but he was able to give full answers without sounding confused"

It's really easy to speak fluidly when you aren't concerned with facts lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Yip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Dear Democrat Donors: Elizabeth Warren isn't looking like such a bad option today, is she?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭hometruths

If it wasn't so serious, it would also be kind of funny seeing Biden supporters trying their hardest to convince themselves that the reason their lad is not out of sight in the polls facing an opponent liable for sexual assault and a convicted felon multiple times over, is the fault of the American electorate rather than the flaws in their own candidate.

If they could take the blinkers off for a nanosecond, they would realise that most of those calling for Biden to step aside are doing so because they don't want Trump to win the election.

Trump supporters have no interest in Biden standing aside; they know the only path to another Trump presidency is for Biden to carry on pretending he is on top of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Did you see the Sky News Australia comment about her success being attributed to climbing the Scrotum pole 😉

To be able to give full answers without sounding confused IS Sharp.

Crack & Gun's? Seems like gangsterism is the Bidens forte.

Trump aced that debate by being smart.

But he wasn't…he was smart, sharp & composed.

Biden was drugged up and ranting in the SOTU address. Did you see his eye's ffs.

Was Trump lying about Pelosi? The booming Economy he created?

• Advertisement

If you're determining Biden to be on drugs because of his appearance, then surely Trump hasn't done a rally sober since 2016.

Trump was lying about Pelosi (I mean, he lies about EVERYTHING)

What booming economy did he create? Here's the US economy since 1990.

You can see the dip created from the Financial crash in 08 which Obama dealt with and the very best you could say about Trumps performance is that he didn't fcuk Obama's economy up until there was a crisis. And when there was a crisis, Covid, he sh*t the bed as you can see above, and look at the economy performance since Biden came in to office?

Advertisement