Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

NYT and others seeming to push the narrative that Kamala Harris will be the nominee.

I'm hoping this works out really well for the Democrats; Biden remains POTUS through the end of the year and does what he can to boost Harris' campaign. I don't see the need for him to resign, he won't be back in 2025 no matter what, and why upset the apple cart?

Maybe Harris can come up with, I dunno, some ideas that are more than 'Be afraid of CFTrump.' Like, Medicare for all? Nationwide right to abortion if elected? Things like that.

She wouldn't have to woo the Democrat base too hard; as always, it's the swing voters. CFTrump will make that easy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

This afternoon CNN were leading with the NYT story that Biden is discussing whether or not he should stay in the race.

If he's lost CNN and the NYT he's toast, it's strange that he doesn't realise it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Russman

Its interesting times, I dislike Trump as much as any normal person does, but at this stage the Dems might be as well off essentially "throwing" this election. Not a chance Biden wins if he runs, and if you're one of the other potentials being mentioned, why would you ruin what will likely be your one and only shot at a presidential run, on at best, half a campaign ? Can't see any of them actually wanting the nomination this time round when it looks like DT is a shoo-in. Let Harris have a go to get her out of the picture for next time and have someone halfway competent lined up for when/if they next have an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've seen this CFTrump on this thread a few times. Not sure if it's been you each time or not. Pardon the ignorance, but what's the cf about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Harris is a laughable candidate see debate with tulsi gabbard. I won't link any video that tends to get me banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

It’s possible the Democrats orchestrated this to have Harris as their candidate by bypassing the primaries. Talk about subverting democracy and nothing would surprise me with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Not sure why Biden would be complaining about Presidential immunity , Supreme Court was just confirming what is already fact, it's nothing new, the only thing that was new was Democrats in positions of power going after a former President, something unheard of, so much so that the American people simply won't stand for it, we see that in the polls. And would Biden really want to be charged with the manslaughter of those 13 American personnel, that died due to his incompetence, when he decided on a whim to leave Afghanistan ''' eh,, how about tomorrow, yea, tomorrow, everyone leave tomorrow '' , if he wasn't the President he would be facing jail, as if a captain of a ship, sent 13 of his crew on an impossible task that resulted in all 13 dying, he would indeed face charges. Presidents have immunity, nothing new, geez.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

No, no, no. If this was a normal election against a Mitt Romney type politician, I'd agree about the Democrats essentially settling for a loss, but if Trump gets back in, there may not BE any more elections in the United States if he's allowed to do all he wants to, and it certainly cannot be taken for granted that the democratic failsafes that are supposed to prevent that will hold, considering the SCOTUS rulings of the last while.

Donald Trump is a man who set a group of angry supporters on the US Capitol. You know how people still talk about Watergate, yet we all witnessed a sitting US president egg his supporters into attacking the US Capitol and that's somehow been more normalised, like it's just another bad thing. That's one of the craziest things in the history of the US presidency, if not the craziest. There's no way that man, with a more organised team behind him, can get back in and everything be fine.

So, there is an awful lot on the line in the election. If Trump gets back in, history will record that those opposed to him acted with great hesitation and lack of courage, showing hubris and bad judgement at every turn.

• Advertisement

Biden pretending to chastise Netanyahu and threatening to suspend the sending of the large bombs is just so fake and cynical though. I hope he feels the screams and pain of all the dying children his bombs helped to murder. Saying that he just acted like any other president would is hardly a get out of jail card either. Fair play to the students and the many decent people who protested all over the US on behalf of those innocents.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,525 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

And that the wonky American voting system meant America decided that a convicted felon and rapist was not only a legitimate, but in fact the winning candidate.

Things might get very funny again.

Genuine question, is there a handy link to the things that Trump wants to do that could spell the end of democratic elections in the US? Even just a summary or a list of bullet points? I am aware that he wants to end democracy but I have no idea how he intends to do it, but have not been following things that closely until the debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

All detailed here

“We are in the process of the second American Revolution, which will remain bloodless if the left allows it to be,” Roberts said.

Also a John Oliver video

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bartkingcole

it’s probably too late for Harris. The Biden’s should have been promoting her for the last 2 years - instead they gave her very little to do and perhaps even briefed against as the goal was 4 more years for Joe. Most people know nothing about her or think she is an incompetent figure head. The Dems need a fresh articulate intelligent voice who will attract the Republicans and swing voters who abhor Trump but actually even see him now as preferable to Biden.

So this is the Project 2025 thing, has Trump endorsed that and said yes these are my plans. Or is this just the lobbying efforts of a right wing think tank?

And from what I've seen it is undoubtedly an attempt to move the US much further to the right than it currently is, what is that suggests there may be no more elections in the US?

i.e if Trump does win, no doubt we'll have four years of a clown show and similiar to the chaos we had last time, but what is stopping a Democratic President being elected in 2028?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bartkingcole

why is Hunter Biden now an advisor. Quite frankly the visuals on this are not good. He is acting like a Trump.

Well now doesn't that really sum everything up, that the criminal rapist, Trump, is more popular than Biden. How bad of a President do you have to be to trail to Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

***Joe Biden recieves boards.ie infraction for saying "sleepy Joe Biden"

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/02/us/politics/biden-debate.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Won't we all be extinct from climate change anyway before that happens?

• Advertisement

@hometruths

i.e if Trump does win, no doubt we'll have four years of a clown show and similiar to the chaos we had last time

That's where you're bang wrong because the reason there was such chaos in the Trump government last time is because he was constantly fighting with the halfway normal Republican politicians he staffed his cabinet with and who would try and talk him out of the things he wanted to do, or else just quit in disgust. They were people who, in many cases at least, put the principles of American democracy above personal fealty to Trump, and that's something Trump doesn't like, in the case where the interests of himself and American democracy diverge.

This won't be the case in a second Trump term. The team behind him have a much more streamlined plan this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hungry Burger

Democrat conspiracy theory up there with the likes of “The 2020 election was stolen”

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

That is nuts, that whole cocaine story at the White House is strange also. First report was '' found in the Library Room'', White House Library is a room in the White House, used for meetings hosted by the president and first lady for close friends and family etc, then that report was squashed, and it was claimed it was found in West Wing lobby area , where tours pass by, a heavily trafficked area, and investigation was closed fast. It's all very shady, and now Hunter is back in the fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I saw somewhere that in certain states including some key swing states that it's too late to get someone new on the ballot. Is that true because neither side can just give away swing states given how few there are. Also what would be the story regarding campaign finance?

Ok, I get that he and acolytes will be much better organised in implementing their policy, but I still don't see why this will mean an end to democratic elections in the US. That seems a touch hyperbolic.

The reason i asked was I read the op-ed by Dem rep Jared Golden published yesterday, and it struck me as the exactly the sort of sane message that is sorely needed right now in US politics:

There are winners and losers in every election. Democrats’ post-debate hand-wringing is based on the idea that a Trump victory is not just a political loss, but a unique threat to our democracy. I reject the premise. Unlike Biden and many others, I refuse to participate in a campaign to scare voters with the idea that Trump will end our democratic system.

I urge everyone — voters, elected officials, the media, and all citizens — to ignore the chattering class’s scare tactics and political pipedreams. We don’t need party insiders in smoke-filled back rooms to save us. We can defend our democracy without them.

Irrespective of your views on Trump, it's impossible to deny the Democrats are going big on a scaremongering strategy.

For whatever reason they are unable to find a better candidate to beat a convicted felon and apparent rapist than an 81 year old suspected of cognitive decline.

If Trump wins this elections, it won't be because of his strengths, it will be because of his opponents weaknesses - exactly the same as in 2016.

The sooner the Dems realise their own culpability in the rise of the Trump, the sooner politics in the US can get back to something resembling normal.

As far as I can see the biggest threat to democracy right now is the Dems tactic of lying to their voters about the capabilities of their candidate and deflecting from those lies by scaremongering about their opponent.

If the electorate buys into that bullsh*t and it becomes the political modus operandi for the future then democracy will indeed suffer.

But if the electorate decides to vote for the rapist felon instead, that is as clear a demonstration as you'll get of democracy working as intended - and the Dems only have themselves to blame.

Maybe next time round they'll pick a candidate to win on his or her own strengths and appeal, rather than saying "Vote for me, I'm not the other guy"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,280 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I don't see how that could be the case if the party conventions haven't taken place yet. That's when a person is formally named as a candidate

Let's make a quick analogy - would any parent be happy for an adult with a record of sexual offences against minor students to be given a job as a schoolteacher to their child? Sure, we don't know that this adult would try to do anything to the children in this instance, but the objection to them taking the position would be very much based on established form, and anyone looking at that situation would consider it a reasonable attitude.

By the same token, based on past form, I consider it an entirely reasonable position to say that there is no way Trump should be president of the United States again, considering his lies about the 2020 election, his conduct on January 6th 2021, his phone call to the Georgia Secretary of State and the whole fake elector scheme. He made the disgraced Richard Nixon look like an absolute choir boy in comparison. This is before you get to his many personal failings like digitally raping E Jean Carroll. If you took the laundry list of stuff on Trump and applied it to Biden, people like Tucker Carlson would no longer be alive. They would have had a fatal aneurysm live on air.

I totally agree with you that a parent would not want a sex offender to teach theor child. But the analo gy is exactly the sort of scare tactics that insults and undermines the concept of democracy.

And I agree with your reasons why you wouldn't vote for Trump. You think you could not vote for him under any circumstances, and I totally understand why.

But if enough people disagree with you that do find a reason to vote for him, irrespective of whether that's because they're maga maniacs or they don't like the tactics and message of his opponent, he will win the election.

And that is an example of a democratic process working exactly as intended. It demonstrates a healthy democracy, albeit one with an extremely poor choice of candidates. But the electorate can only vote for what's put in front of them, and by definition they are always right.

Anyway that's all a bit tangential, and could end up in a pointless hypothetical back and forth.

The question I was interested in was why does a Trump victory mean the end of elections in the US?

IIf I could understand better the risk of no more elections I guess I could understand better the scaremongering.

It's not scare tactics. The central point is you should not put someone with a history of doing a certain bad thing in a position to do that bad thing again or worse, and the idea of them getting into such a position should be disturbing and objectionable.

I didn't say that there definitely won't be any more elections if Trump gets in, I said there may not be, just to nip a non existent argument in the bud. Given his attitude to elections which go against him, it is quite clear that he has no particular taste for relinquishing power. He has told supporters he will be their retribution. He has posted a word cloud on his social with "REVENGE" at its centre. He has referred to those who attacked the US Capitol and were prosecuted/imprisoned as 'hostages'.

I could go on.

Whether Americans vote for him over Biden is their business. This not because they're all big MAGA heads. A lot of people who've voted for dangerous populists throughout history and who became dictators may just have liked the economic policies they were laying out, but that doesn't mean their decision wasn't highly errant in hindsight.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. one positive about all the calls from Dems and Dem leaning media for Biden to stand down is that it totally torpedos all the claims of rigged elections.

IIf Democrats were really in the business of stealing elections, they'd have no concerns about Biden's mental acuity, they'd be confident of winning regardless.

Round one to democracy!

Advertisement