Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options
1725726727728729731»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I remember reading several months ago that Biden might pick a different running mate, such was the disregard for Harris. So, I don't know how the Democratic party will square the circle that makes her electable as the main candidate.

Presuming Biden steps back shortly and the Democrats have an open vote at convention, wouldn't she be easily beaten by Newsome, Whitmer or A.N Other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭rogber

Or maybe they should try Oprah? I'm sure she could end both the Ukraine war and solve the Middle East in one day

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I think it likely that if in fact Biden steps back, at the convention there's no opposition to Harris. The Democratic party knows its WH and downballot chances will hang by a thread as soon as Biden decides to run, and the last thing they need is a nasty nomination event with hard feelings left over.

Of course, the Democrats are the party of shooting themselves in the foot, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Of the names being thrown about for a new candidate, Michelle Obama is the only one who seems like she might win, the way things are right now.

I had thought Newsom seemed like a contender. But part of that was just being tall. Trump looks somewhat diminutive beside him. (This isn't nonsense - the taller candidate usually wins, and I think Trump's ability to dominate people appeals to a lot of people.)

However, Trumps belligerent reaction to a bullet going through his ear, along with the most iconic, pseudo-revolutionary, movie poster like photo means he is out-machoing anyone right now. So a different tack is needed.

In a poll about potential democrat candidates before the debate and the shooting, Michelle Obama was the only person who was projected to beat Trump. I still think she would have a good chance now. I don't think others would. I think this is possibly the thoughts of many in the democratic party. If so, the question is how to get her to step up.

I guess it would also be a snub to Harris. But it would be the difference between fielding a reasonable candidate and trying to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Maybe the Dems can do another Obama and find Arnie a US birth cert. ! Lol!

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

He's a registered Republican!

Though, he meets the age criteria - sadly, Arnie's old, 76.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

A childs welfare is normally something parents concern themselves with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

That will actually suit them, what we do know is, the media will do absolutely no vetting of the candidate, we'll all be told how amazing and fresh this new candidate is…how energized it#s made the whole party…etc etc Goebbles himself would be proud (a bit like how they managed to avoid Bidens state over the last few years)…I remember reading an article in Time magazine about that election denier Stacy Abrahams, you'd swear she could levitate after reading it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If they had any sense, there'd be a gentlemen's agreement that whoever runs would have a positive campaign and don't disparage their opponents. Open vote at convention and complete unity behind the winning candidate.

I still think this election is winnable for the Democrats but they really have to put their election engine in high gear and drive it hard. Trump and Vance on the same ticket will polarise a lot of undecideds on election day. A decent candidate with a unified party and message should put up a good fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Vance will do a Lance Vance at the first opportunity, expect the knife in the back to come quick if Trump starts doddering during his second term.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
Advertisement