Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Biden Presidency thread *Please read OP - Threadbanned Users Added 4/5/21*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭amber69

NSAman wrote: »
    Lovely to see thousands of flags representing those that died in the pandemic fluttering in the wind for the inauguration.

Our could it represent those that voted for Biden who had died?

Na. You're mixing that up with Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

They did not attempt a coup, It was not an insurrection no matter how much a partisan media are trying to argue that it is. It was a one day protest that unfortunately led to some rioting. It was not a white supremist movement as I have seen some people try to say that it was.

- They brought white supremacist flags, so they seem to think it was
    - Your opinion it wasn't an attempted coup or insurrection is not shared by the police officers involved, security analysts in the US or elsewhere, federal law enforcement agencies, GOP leaders, or the people being charged with conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He's not trying to reduce the separation of church and state. He's not using his religion to reduce the rights of others. Attending mass simply isn't a biggy.

Of course not.

But I'm making the observation that America has an ongoing issue with religion. Their new president will attend mass before the inauguration and will undoubtedly mention God in his speech later and over the next 4 years.

America has to come to terms with its unhealthy attitude to religion at some point. It won't be happening in this term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭RonaVirus

NSAman wrote: »
    Lovely to see thousands of flags representing those that died in the pandemic fluttering in the wind for the inauguration.

Our could it represent those that voted for Biden who had died?

Probably people long dead who voted for Biden

Bring on the new patriot act..

Unleash the dogs of war..

Group hugs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Of course not.

But I'm making the observation that America has an ongoing issue with religion. Their new president will attend mass before the inauguration and will undoubtedly mention God in his speech later and over the next 4 years.

America has to come to terms with its unhealthy attitude to religion at some point. It won't be happening in this term.

given this thread is about biden what is unhealthy about his attitude to religion? what is his attitude to religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

This is ridiculous.

Americans get two choices in the most diverse country in the world for their head of state. If Biden was an atheist, he wouldn't have lost any votes while the vocal Christian right would rather have the wolf in very poor quality sheep's clothing.

If he was an atheist would he have gotten through the primaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭francois

RonaVirus wrote: »
    Probably people long dead who voted for Biden

Lame

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If he was an atheist would he have gotten through the primaries?

Don’t know if you noticed we just had an atheist fly out of the White House lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Of course not.

Not wild about the conflation of Church and State, but for Biden it's a sincerely held personal thing he relied on during significant personal loss. It's not a big perfomative overture to crazy Evangelicals (who aren't wild about Catholics).

America is what it is, so long as he's not doing any weird state imposition stuff with it I'm good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Of course not.

Whilst I've no time for religion, I'd rather someone who actually follows a religion and adheres to it's beliefs without ramming it down everyone else's throat ... than someone who clearly doesn't believe, but continually lies about it and doesn't follow any of the beliefs and claims to be a deity themselves and whose followers portray them as the second coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

They did not attempt a coup, It was not an insurrection no matter how much a partisan media are trying to argue that it is. It was a one day protest that unfortunately led to some rioting. It was not a white supremist movement as I have seen some people try to say that it was. It was simply people who feel the election was not handled correctly and feel that they have not been listened to (weather you believe this or not does not matter as this is what they believe).

Biden is totally over reacting with the military inauguration and it calls forth images of third world dictatorships, At the moment there is a movement to not see the other side as being a political opponent but as an enemy which is not how the republicans view things, I have heard leftists actually say all MAGA supporters should be threated as domestic terrorists...like wtf is wrong with them, what ever happened to live and let live.
    Sorry to break it to you, but with your posting history you are far, far less credible than almost any media source out there. There is no point even pretending that you are remotely interested in arguing in good faith, given your consistency towards the opposite.

I'll take the word of experts like republican appointed national intelligence officer Fiona Hill over both yours and the media's, though. You won't like what she has to say, so feel free to pretend to have never seen it. https://www.politico.com/amp/news/magazine/2021/01/11/capitol-riot-self-coup-trump-fiona-hill-457549

moneyman wrote: »
    Why are you assuming that legitimate criticism of Biden and the Democratic party isn't, or won't be, allowed here?

I haven't seen or read that here anywhere.

Trump supporters having issues with reading comprehension, that's a turn up for the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Looks like Biden will attend mass before the inauguration, reflecting America's strange relationship with religion.

Also, it seems religious services still permitted despite the pandemic in the States.

I agree.

He should have tear gassed some folks and awkwardly fingered a bible upside down.

robinph wrote: »
    Whilst I've no time for religion, I'd rather someone who actually follows a religion and adheres to it's beliefs without ramming it down everyone else's throat ... than someone who clearly doesn't believe, but continually lies about it and doesn't follow any of the beliefs and claims to be a deity themselves and whose followers portray them as the second coming.

If Biden accepts gay marriage, abortion, then he doesn't adhere to Catholic beliefs.

If Biden accepts gay marriage, abortion, then he doesn't adhere to Catholic beliefs.

You can say that about most Irish people who consider themselves to be Catholic. The reality is plenty adhere to a non exact version of Catholicism. So he's in line with most Irish Catholics..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭Christy42

Near as I can tell the man has never been married to another man nor has he had an abortion. Nothing in the religion states that you have to force others as you believe. You can try convince them but it is like saying no president has ever been a Christian since adultery isn't outlawed and at least few or none have fought for it to be outlawed.

As to his own beliefs, there tends to be a pretty Liberal amount of interpretation amongst believers. If that is you standard the actual numbers of Catholics in the world is likely pretty low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So Biden's victory is an indication that America is getting closer to religion but since he's not going to overturn any of these advances then it isn't? Is this your point?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭Christy42

So Biden's victory is an indication that America is getting closer to religion but since he's not going to overturn any of these advances then it isn't? Is this your point?

Indeed. He is too religious to be a leader but also not religious enough to be a member of the religion he believes in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

He's too old and fragile imo but a safe pair of hands for four years i guess,
    i would imagine the enemies of America will see him as a soft touch though and could test him early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,895 ✭✭✭✭listermint

i would imagine the enemies of America will see him as a soft touch though and could test him early

What like say putting bounties on your soldiers abroad and testing your response

Christy42 wrote: »
    Indeed. He is too religious to be a leader but also not religious enough to be a member of the religion he believes in.

Schrödinger's Catholic :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Trump departing to a massive gay anthem is especially amusing given how much of his fanbase is purely driven by fragile masculinity and hatred of minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah, soft touch.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Ok... that's it for me, T***p is en route to Florida and I'm cancelling the rest of my day to go drink champagne and watch CNN.

I'm pointing out the weirdness of religion in American politics. Biden going to mass on the morning of his inauguration during a pandemic underlines this weirdness. It's a tradition for American presidents to do this, it's almost part of the inauguration process, even though America is supposed to have a separated church and state.

All speeches include god and prayer.

Politicians there are afraid to say they aren't religious for fear of losing votes. It's a mad country.

seamus wrote: »
    Trump departing to a massive gay anthem is especially amusing given how much of his fanbase is purely driven by fragile masculinity and hatred of minorities.

I laughed when I heard Gloria!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭briany

seamus wrote: »

I guess Trump likes the song, but it wouldn't surprise me if he knew little else of it like the song meaning or cultural significance beyond its use in his campaign.

But it's a bizarre little coda. Such a frivolous song to bookend a highly controversial presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,981 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'm pointing out the weirdness of religion in American politics. Biden going to mass on the morning of his inauguration during a pandemic underlines this weirdness. It's a tradition for American presidents to do this, it's almost part of the inauguration process, even though America is supposed to have a separated church and state.

All speeches include god and prayer.

Politicians there are afraid to say they aren't religious for fear of losing votes. It's a mad country.

You formed that conclusion based on the fact that Biden went to mass?

Were you in a coma for the past 5 years?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    You formed that conclusion based on the fact that Biden went to mass?

Were you in a coma for the past 5 years?

I've always thought America was a mad country.

Advertisement