Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Printing in one specific ink colour

Options
  • 19-01-2021 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I have a Canon Pro 100s printer. which is a fairly good printer. It has 8 different colour ink cartridges. One of the colours is light grey. Does anyone have any idea how I can print using only the light grey ink?

The reason I ask is because I want to print with a light ink on dark paper. I want to make sure the text is as light as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Zenify wrote: »
    I have a Canon Pro 100s printer. which is a fairly good printer. It has 8 different colour ink cartridges. One of the colours is light grey. Does anyone have any idea how I can print using only the light grey ink?

The reason I ask is because I want to print with a light ink on dark paper. I want to make sure the text is as light as possible.
    Does your printer manual say something about it?
    Have a look here, if it helps: https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/PRO-100S%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_color_balance.html

Or do a bit of an online search: Canon Pro 100s adjust printer colour settings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Why don't you set the font colour to light grey in the document you want to print?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Why don't you set the font colour to light grey in the document you want to print?
    Easiest, but I think OP should know this! So assuming the document is in pdf perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    Easiest, but I think OP should know this! So assuming the document is in pdf perhaps.

Possibly, but there are many free on-line pdf to doc converters which would solve that.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Possibly, but there are many free on-line pdf to doc converters which would solve that.

There are indeed https://smallpdf.com/pdf-to-word, unfortunately, depending on the information in the document, it may generate .docx wrong, mostly if there're charts, not just text.

Also, if a document is very confidential with sensitive data, I wouldn't upload that on a website to get a free (!) service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

If the colour I choose is too light the printer leaves gaps between the ink dots assuming the paper is white to lighten it. If I use too dark of a colour the printer adds in black to darken it. I am looking for the code #101010 (for example) or the rgb of that exact light grey colour.

So yes, I need to change the text to light grey but I need the answer to be more specific. Which light grey?

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    Does your printer manual say something about it?
    Have a look here, if it helps: https://ij.manual.canon/ij/webmanual/PrinterDriver/W/PRO-100S%20series/1.0/EN/PPG/dg-c_color_balance.html

Or do a bit of an online search: Canon Pro 100s adjust printer colour settings

I could only find about minor colour adjustments nothing about only printing using the one colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

To be fair, I don't think your use case is supported by regular printers. Printing on dark paper is a niche thing, and special ink is required.
    For consumer grade printers, it is assumed you're printing on white paper, and the ink is adjusted accordingly.

JoyPad wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't think your use case is supported by regular printers. Printing on dark paper is a niche thing, and special ink is required.
    For consumer grade printers, it is assumed you're printing on white paper, and the ink is adjusted accordingly.

A pro 100s is not exactly a consumer printer. It has 8 ink colours and a light grey ink which is not something you find in many printers. I'm trying to figure out how to utilize what it is capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If you had the rgb or hex value of the colour you're looking for would it work. If you have a sample you could use the colour sample tool in photoshop to get the approx value. If you don't have PS I could get the value for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

If the colour I choose is too light the printer leaves gaps between the ink dots assuming the paper is white to lighten it. If I use too dark of a colour the printer adds in black to darken it. I am looking for the code #101010 (for example) or the rgb of that exact light grey colour.

So yes, I need to change the text to light grey but I need the answer to be more specific. Which light grey?

You have 256 possible shades between white and black, you can try to find the right one using the binary search as:

colour = 128 (middle), #808080

1. print and have look
    2. white spots? too dark, colour = colour + colour / 2
    3. black spots? too light, colour = colour / 2
    4. go back to 1

In 8 steps or less you will either find the colour or find out that the printer cannot be driven to print from that single tank.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_search_algorithm

Advertisement