Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belgard Solicitors Court Date

Options
  • 19-01-2021 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi
    I received a summons to attend court in 2 months time over unpaid debt to credit union who are being represented by Belgard Solicitors. Before Belgard got involved i had been dealing with Cabot financial but lost my job in September due to Covid. Had a few problems that not going to go into and was unable to make all repayments. With the summons i received a statement of means that i have to fill in and return to the court a week before the case.
    I was just hoping someone might be able to fill me in on what to expect when i go to court as really worried about this.
    Any info would be much appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

Is it an actual summons

Those companies do post documents that look genuine to scare

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

Newuser2 wrote: »
    Is it an actual summons

Those companies do post documents that look genuine to scare
    Hi.
    Yes it is an actual summons to appear in District Court in March

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cabot and Belgard are the same entity.

Who actually delivered the summons? They really do send out some documents that look like, but are not, court documents.

L1011 wrote:
    Who actually delivered the summons? They really do send out some documents that look like, but are not, court documents.

It was delivered by registered post. It is an actual summons. Date and time to appear in court. I know what you mean but it is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

In that case I'd advise getting in contact with MABS. A Statement of Means is the norm when negotiating with a creditor; but they can give more specific/accurate advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It was delivered by registered post. It is an actual summons. Date and time to appear in court. I know what you mean but it is real.

Check with the court, unless it's a large amount they'll be unlikely to go to court, get advice on the means statement as well, These guys would've bought your loan for a pittance , were you offered a settlement amount?

Mabs anyway if you get them, they know the system

Check with the court, unless it's a large amount they'll be unlikely to go to court, get advice on the means statement as well, These guys would've bought your loan for a pittance , were you offered a settlement amount?
    7000 in total

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

7000 in total

Did you pay anything back and try to restructure with credit union,
    once Cabot bought it you should have gone straight to MABS,

Does cabot own it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I hate this type of comment as the person writing it usually has no clue about the process and never ever has to face the result of such bad advice.

Even if the debt €300, all that is needed is a standard summons where you have to decide whether to fight or not (expensive) and if you don't lodge a valid defense within the allotted time, a summary judgement is automatically made against you.

So ignore at your peril.

The op owes €7,000. It's a credit union and it's effectively other members money. The op should have made some effort to continue to pay something, but obviously didn't and the additional costs will continue to mount up.

Mabs is probably the best option at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Squiggle

It sounds to me like Belgard have already gotten a judgement against you and now they are proceeding to enforce that judgement , usually by getting an installment order against you in the district court.

A judge will decide the amount of the installment and he or she will not make you pay any more than you can afford so have no worries in that regard.

Advertisement