Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks ordered to pay customer €12,000 because of drawing on cup

Options
  • 19-01-2021 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It just gets better and better. Now Starbucks was ordered to pay a customer of Thai origin €12,000 because they drew "slanty eyes" on her cup instead of writing her name. She was offended.

Ok, they should have written her name but really? €12,000 for that? More compo culture Ireland at play.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0119/1190689-starbucks-ordered-to-pay-compensation/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

It just gets better and better. Now Starbucks was ordered to pay a customer of Thai origin €12,000 because they drew "slanty eyes" on her cup instead of writing her name. She was offended.

Ok, they should have written her name but really? €12,000 for that? More compo culture Ireland at play.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0119/1190689-starbucks-ordered-to-pay-compensation/

Good to see you are more outraged at the compensation rather than racist behavior of ****bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Good to see you are more outraged at the compensation rather than racist behavior of ****bucks.

Yes. Starbucks are horrible because 1 employee from hundreds of thousands around the world drew slanty eyes on a cup.

Boycott ****bucks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If someone in London wrote 'Paddywhacker' on your Starbucks cup, I suppose you'd laugh it off?

They were right to take them to task on it. Doesn't affect their insurance, nor yours as it's defamation, not injury. Stupid thing to do, they should pay out. As to whether it should be €12,000 or not is another point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Racist behavior of an employee, not Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

FHFM50 wrote: »

An employee of Starbucks, working in Starbucks at the time, representing Starbucks, serving a customer of Starbucks. That's the way it works and it works both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

This sends a message: pull this **** and you will be fired. I'm okay with that message.

A perfectly fine ruling.

Compo-culture me arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I think 12K is apt, maybe even a few grand more. A shocking display of racism, imo. There is no place for behaviour like that in Irish society.

Sounds like the employee might have been very, very innocent and genuinely didn't understand how offensive it was.

Starbucks' defence was bizarre, to say the least:

"A legal representatives for the Starbucks outlet put it to Ms Foley that an American band called 'Slants' had sought to re-appropriate the depiction of eyes in the same way that 'queer' had been re-appropriated by the LGBT community."

• Registered Users Posts: 45,974 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

a representative of starbucks was racist to a customer.

and the customer got a ruling against the starbucks as a result.

Don't see the issue here, at all. I'm surprised it wasn't more.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

FHFM50 wrote: »

The judgement was against Starbucks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

mikhail wrote: »
    This sends a message: pull this **** and you will be fired. I'm okay with that message.

except nobody was fired :confused:
    but yeah, appropriate resolution.

The fact that the person that did the drawing was an immigrant themselves, will send all the closet racists and far-right boardies into an existential crisis.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't get why they wrote or drew anything on her cup. Is this what they do when you buy a coffee or whatever in Starbucks and if so why? Never been in one myself as hate coffee. It's just horrible stuff.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

No, compo culture at play would be a person spilling coffee on themselves and suing a restaurant for burning them

Drawing an asian person as slanty eyed, is as good as drawing a minstrel on the cup for a black person.

I see no issue with this ruling...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

.anon. wrote: »
    Sounds like the employee might have been very, very innocent and genuinely didn't understand how offensive it was.

[/I]

Might be an excuse if the employee was 6 years old. But not a teenager or adult.

They knew what they were doing. Starbucks paid up, person possibly lost their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I hate the PC/offended at everything culture but tbf this was a complete dick move on the part of the starbucks employee. Just write the name on the cup like everyone else. They hardly thought the customer was going to find it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

AMKC wrote: »
    I don't get why they wrote or drew anything on her cup. Is this what they do when you buy a coffee or whatever in Starbucks and if so why? Never been in one myself as hate coffee. It's just horrible stuff.

I've only ever been to Starbucks once in my life, and that was last year.
    Yes, they do write your name on the cup. They have one person taking the order/your money then another person makes up the drinks. I think it's supposed to avoid confusion?....they do be very busy.

They spelled my son's name wrong, twice, (in fairness it's Portuguese). We just laughed it off but I get that what was done in this case was quite different.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

AMKC wrote: »

They write your name on the cup and then call you when it's ready, even when they're standing right beside you at the counter. But it's funny watching them try to pronounce Aloysius (that's the name I give when on the rare times I go in).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Writing names on cups is weird anyway.
    Would never go to Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

How do they arrive at the princely sum of €12k?

Is there any reason why €1,200 wouldn't have done them or any possibility the victim may need €24,000 to wash away this particular grievance?

Rodin wrote: »
    Writing names on cups is weird anyway.
    Would never go to Starbucks.

Pure scutter, the overpriced rank coffee, bizarre rituals, all of it. Starbucks is a blight on the landscape, no sympathy for them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

How do they arrive at the princely sum of €12k?

Is there any reason why €1,200 wouldn't have done them or any possibility the victim may need €24,000 to wash away this particular grievance?

As miniscule of a sum €24k would be to starbucks®, I think they'll be fine. You could donate though I suppose - if you're worried about them.

Perhaps the difference between 1200 & 24000 might make them point out to their staff - not to be racist, maybe?

Otherwise, perhaps we should make a big deal about the complainants ethnicity, as to why 1200 wouldn't do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It seems the South American lady who did the drawing ws some sort of artist and was doing sketches of lots of different people. Was probably abit risky to be fair with someone bound to get offended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Storm in a coffee cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

The employee should be made to fork up a few grand too. I understand employers are ultimately responsible. But no amount of training takes all the gob****e out of people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭sporina

Q - i read in an article that she employee said she thought the customer was "glamorous"... hence she drew the picture.. but no mention of glamour being depicted in the drawing? only referred to the slanty eyes.. ?

In any event - from what I gather, I don't think the employee was being racist - ignorant and naive perhaps..

Fair ruling - the customer may have experienced racism in the past - hence she took it as an offence..

Get the impression that the employee didn't get the sack though - if so, thats good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Cole

.anon. wrote: »
    Starbucks' defence was bizarre, to say the least:

"A legal representatives for the Starbucks outlet put it to Ms Foley that an American band called 'Slants' had sought to re-appropriate the depiction of eyes in the same way that 'queer' had been re-appropriated by the LGBT community."

Talk about completely misunderstanding the concept of re-appropriation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I'd love to see the actual drawing, I bet you the picture looked something like an emoji smiley face.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1duQ-pO6MVeBGgmotDxG95MLUFmDpqfnYbA&usqp=CAU

Big racist emoji bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Homelander

I would actually also like to see the drawing out of interest. Articles imply that it was some sort of crude, offensive stereotype caricature when in reality I would say it was more an attempt to drawn an emoji with asian eyes or similar.

It seems the employee involved genuinely was attempting to make a cute and innocent tribute to the appearance of the customer, all parties were in agreement that there was no intent to offend behind the action, nor malice.

I do think context is fairly important. I mean already some people on the thread are comparing it to someone writing "paddywhacker" on the cup when it's clear from the actual reports that it was not really like this at all, even if it did cause offence ultimately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

It seems the South American lady who did the drawing ws some sort of artist and was doing sketches of lots of different people. Was probably abit risky to be fair with someone bound to get offended

When it pays to get offended, people will get offended more often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

In her evidence, Ms Foley told the WRC hearing that she was "shocked and nervous" after the Starbucks employee showed her the latte cup with the drawing as a way of identifying her for the collection of her latte.

Ms Foley told the hearing that she was too uncomfortable to collect the cup and her boyfriend returned to the counter to collect it for her.

Ms Foley told the hearing that she felt offended as this incident demeaned her. She stated that she had been racially abused

:rolleyes:

Advertisement