Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks ordered to pay customer €12,000 because of drawing on cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

sporina wrote: »
    Q - i read in an article that she employee said she thought the customer was "glamorous"... hence she drew the picture.. but no mention of glamour being depicted in the drawing? only referred to the slanty eyes.. ?

What’s she gona do sign off with glamourpuss?! .. I love my girls slanty eyes, I tell her from time to time. She calls me droopy eyes, cave man; whatever one thing leads to another... let’s just say it’s all very complimentary. No offence taken, did she really write slant on there?

Its a ridiculous ruling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

46 Long wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Chancer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

She's right to complain. Maybe 12k is too much. But she was dead right to speak out about this happening.

Dont give me this 'snowflake generation' crap either. If some English lad drew some paddy sh*t on my cup id slam his head on the counter and pour boiling coffee over his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

How do they arrive at the princely sum of €12k?

Is there any reason why €1,200

I think €1,200 would have been fair for someone getting their feelings hurt.

You probably wouldn't get 12k if you got battered by somebody.

Very stupid thing to do from the staff member. I think it would be fair to let her go after the company being fined because of her actions. Whether she claims she meant it or not.

• Advertisement

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1duQ-pO6MVeBGgmotDxG95MLUFmDpqfnYbA&usqp=CAU

Yeah that’s it smiley eyes! beautiful, just beautiful.

Or happy, at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I hate compensation culture and people who are offended at everything but given the limit information I don't have an issue with this, what occurred is offensive and wrong.

Can't help but wonder how Starbucks handled it initially, a genuine apology and a €500 voucher surely would have helped rather than it getting to court. If there was an evidence they did this, then my opinion would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭sporina

Bobblehats wrote: »
    What’s she gona do sign off with glamourpuss?! .. I love my girls slanty eyes, I tell her from time to time. She calls me droopy eyes, cave man; whatever one thing leads to another... let’s just say it’s all very complimentary. No offence taken, did she really write slant on there?

i dunno... her nice ear rings or what ever it was that seemed glamorous to her?? do slanty eyes equate glamour?

anyway, starbucks defended the use of the word slanty...

"A legal representatives for the Starbucks outlet put it to Ms Foley that an American band called “Slants” had sought to re-appropriate the depiction of eyes in the same way that “queer” had been re-appropriated by the LGBT community."

era the employee just seems a bit thick - but not racist i'd say..

sure she's an immigrant herself

still think it was a fair outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

if I was in china and ordered a coffee in starbucks and they drew a pale red headed man with freckles on the cup, is that racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

It just gets better and better. Now Starbucks was ordered to pay a customer of Thai origin €12,000 because they drew "slanty eyes" on her cup instead of writing her name. She was offended.

Ok, they should have written her name but really? €12,000 for that? More compo culture Ireland at play.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0119/1190689-starbucks-ordered-to-pay-compensation/

Fair play to her. A good judgement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It just gets better and better. Now Starbucks was ordered to pay a customer of Thai origin €12,000 because they drew "slanty eyes" on her cup instead of writing her name. She was offended.

Ok, they should have written her name but really? €12,000 for that? More compo culture Ireland at play.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0119/1190689-starbucks-ordered-to-pay-compensation/

wrong

next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Yes. Starbucks are horrible because 1 employee from hundreds of thousands around the world drew slanty eyes on a cup.

Boycott ****bucks ...

The employee was a ****wit. The company got dinged for it. Sounds fair.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Radical idea maybe, but she could have just signed off with the woman's name

• Registered Users Posts: 83,452 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thinly veiled reasons for this particular OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

She's right to complain. Maybe 12k is too much. But she was dead right to speak out about this happening.

Dont give me this 'snowflake generation' crap either. If some English lad drew some paddy sh*t on my cup id slam his head on the counter and pour boiling coffee over his head.

I think you need to take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror if you feel that assaulting someone with boiling coffee is a proportionate response to a mildly politically incorrect drawing on a coffee cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

pgj2015 wrote: »
    if I was in china and ordered a coffee in starbucks and they drew a pale red headed man with freckles on the cup, is that racist?

In Irish law or Chinese law?
    I'd say the Chinese couldn't give a MaoTseTung about your rights

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tbh I am intrigued to see what was drawn on the cup.
    It seems like a huge amount of money

Radical idea maybe, but she could have just signed off with the woman's name

Yea what happened there did she forget it?

Regardless, happy time. Nice hot cup of coffee, no complaints....
    gmisk wrote: »
    Tbh I am intrigued to see what was drawn on the cup.
    It seems like a huge amount of money

- I suppose you might find offence if you know there’s 12k in it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I hate compensation culture and people who are offended at everything but given the limit information I don't have an issue with this, what occurred is offensive and wrong.

Can't help but wonder how Starbucks handled it initially, a genuine apology and a €500 voucher surely would have helped rather than it getting to court. If there was an evidence they did this, then my opinion would be different.

If it had been an independent coffee shop and the customer could have taken up the issue with the owner directly it's likely the matter would never have ended up as it did.

A bit of humanity, recognition of the the upset of the customer and a simple genuine apology most likely would have defused the situation.

There's a lesson there for when you need a coffee :)

I think you need to take a long, hard look at yourself in the mirror if you feel that assaulting someone with boiling coffee is a proportionate response to a mildly politically incorrect drawing on a coffee cup.

So either you take them to court and get called a snowflake

Or

You take direct action solving the problem then and there and get called insane.

You just cant win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,452 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Or

You take direct action solving the problem then and there and get called insane.

You just cant win.

That’s right your only two options, either you take them to high court or you beat them to within an inch of their life and scald them with hot coffee. No other alternatives clearly exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

- I suppose you might find offence if you know there’s 12k in it right?
    Like I said it would depend on drawing and intention behind it.
    I don't drink coffee or tea so extremely rare I am in a starbucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The money is irrelevant with regard to the customers feeling. She didn't set the amount, Starbucks are huge corporate tax avoiding global company.

If it was a pittance it wouldn't be any sort of punishment, though you'd hope Starbucks = racist coverage would hit home! ;)

I trust the employee has been sent on a quick enlightenment course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Or

You just cant win.

Or you shut up, drink your damn coffee and realize that the employee meant well and was not trying to offend. 'Racial abuse' my backside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Of course you would

Or you shut up, drink your damn coffee and realize that the employee meant well and was not trying to offend. 'Racial abuse' my backside.

Nah man. Thats the weakling's way out.

You impose your will on other people because they have to learn their actions have consequences.

You draw a racist caricature, you get banged right away.

Thats just how it is in the pen.

Dont fret because thats how society is.

Everyone keep everyone in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

one time a friend of mine (we will call him paddy) saw a picture on facebook of another friend of ours(sean), sean is an Irish guy dark hair,looks a bit chinese, he was in a picture with a chinese woman, paddy wrote which one is Chinese? under the picture lol. apparently the chinese woman was really insulted for some reason. I could never figure out why. was she not proud to be chinese or what? why would that be an insult?

Overheal wrote: »
    That’s right your only two options, either you take them to high court or you beat them to within an inch of their life and scald them with hot coffee. No other alternatives clearly exist.

Yeah I bet he's gonna care, or his manager is gonna care if you stood there and told em. Nah they wont.

But you can make them care by taking direct action, or by making their hire-ups care.

Now the lady in the story is a bit more nuanced so she took the legal route, but as I said. Some people would just take the direct route.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

According to the article she "interrupted" the customer while the woman was spelling her name to show the drawing.. i could imagine that definitely contributed to the woman feeling shocked

• Advertisement

The employee made a pretty terrible show of herself here. The facts are a long way from the usual "pretend offence", it was an appalling way to treat someone tbh

Id personally rather the fine was by way of charitable donation but the amount and the finding are in no way out of line imo

Advertisement