Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks ordered to pay customer €12,000 because of drawing on cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

No doubt its a racist & insulting thing to do & I agree that the business should be fined but giving 12k to the victim is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,458 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah I bet he's gonna care, or his manager is gonna care if you stood there and told em. Nah they wont.

But you can make them care by taking direct action, or by making their hire-ups care.

Now the lady in the story is a bit more nuanced so she took the legal route, but as I said. Some people would just take the direct route.

Sure, Jan. Nobody sees the hollow bravado

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Overheal wrote: »
    Sure, Jan. Nobody sees the hollow bravado

Who the f*ck is Jan?

Theres no bravado here. Im not proud of what I gotta do but thats how it is in the pen.

Chat sh*t, get banged.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

No, compo culture at play would be a person spilling coffee on themselves and suing a restaurant for burning them

Drawing an asian person as slanty eyed, is as good as drawing a minstrel on the cup for a black person.

I see no issue with this ruling...

I would have agreed with you - until I listened to this podcast - Mc Donald’s keep their coffee to hot to make them last longer and know it can scald and seriously damage people but they make more money than the lose doing it so continue to do it

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2RwsvOHfk63COef4Q9HtfR?si=CjA-vrugTay421Nr8Y8zFQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's not what does or does not constitute racism. The woman took insult and it was deemed she had cause to.
    If a fat lad went up and there was a doodle of a fat lad it would be the same thing IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Bowie wrote: »
    It's not what does or does not constitute racism. The woman took insult and it was deemed she had cause to.
    If a fat lad went up and there was a doodle of a fat lad it would be the same thing IMO.

Fatness isn’t a compliment.

Listen I’ve had smileys scribbled on food orders before. It felt uplifting, just to see it wtf was this woman’s problem???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

pgj2015 wrote: »
    if I was in china and ordered a coffee in starbucks and they drew a pale red headed man with freckles on the cup, is that racist?

Nah it could be the language barrier. Maybe they would be just trying to tell you that you were 'glamorous' :pac:

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Fatness isn’t a compliment.

Listen I’ve had smileys scribbled on food orders before. It felt uplifting, just to see it wtf was this woman’s problem???

A ‘smiley’ with slanty eyes specially for an Asian customer in an Irish cafe.

That was the problem.

Overheal wrote: »
    A ‘smiley’ with slanty eyes specially for an Asian customer in an Irish cafe.

That was the problem.

Oh eggshells. Do we have to tailor specifics? Change our ways for these lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dont usually like compo culture nonsense but i've no real arguments with this one. What an absolute numpty that barista must be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think 5 k would have covered it more than enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

Just dont draw racist caricatures?

Some people slow to adapt cant seem to understand polite society.

But thats alright. Keep on keeping on. And keep getting sued, son.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mrsmum wrote: »

I think it's in proportion to the depth of starbucks's pockets rather than the upset of the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

I hate compensation culture and people who are offended at everything but given the limit information I don't have an issue with this, what occurred is offensive and wrong.

Can't help but wonder how Starbucks handled it initially, a genuine apology and a €500 voucher surely would have helped rather than it getting to court. If there was an evidence they did this, then my opinion would be different.

Why would the woman or anybody in future accept an apology or a voucher when they know there are big bucks (intended) to be made?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Mrsmum wrote: »

A taxi man got belted over the head with a glass bottle by a customer in an Irish case at the end of last year, the customer then ran away without paying the 170 euro fare. The driver only got awarded 2,000 euro. seems fair.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Multi-billion dollar tax-dodging company get's a tiny slap on wrist and people are outraged just because there was a racial element to it

This is bottom of the barrel stuff, even for here

Who could honestly give a **** like?

Bollox. Maybe I’m just from a different era petal, but you wouldn’t know polite if it smacked you in the face

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bollox. Maybe I’m just from a different era petal, but you wouldn’t know polite if it smacked you in the face

Mod:

Quit it the two of you and ignore each other if you can't engage in a civil manner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Bowie wrote: »

Why is having slanty eyes the same as being overweight. That's quite an insulting comparison. Almond shaped eyes are a perfectly normal and attractive physical feature.

The employee behaved in a way that was ill judged, foolish and thoughtless. The manager recognised this and immediately apologised and offered vouchers. The complainant could have accepted this and requested that the employee be spoken to and advised that their behaviour was inappropriate and offensive.

If the Manager had defended the employee I could understand it ending up in court. But as that didn't happen a court case and thousands of euro in compensation seems OTT.

I think it's in proportion to the depth of starbucks's pockets rather than the upset of the girl.

Possibly, but it set's the tone for folk later on looking for 12k+ whenever they feel offended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

gmisk wrote: »
    Tbh I am intrigued to see what was drawn on the cup.
    It seems like a huge amount of money

They should sell it off and one of the weirdos here could put it on their 'anti-PC' shrine.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    A taxi man got belted over the head with a glass bottle by a customer in an Irish case at the end of last year, the customer then ran away without paying the 170 euro fare. The driver only got awarded 2,000 euro. seems fair.:rolleyes:

I made that exact point earlier :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

was the employee fired as a result of the incident?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

An article I read earlier on this, was the picture was drawn becuase they didn't really seem to bothered with putting the name on. The customer expected it to be difficult for them, so was going to help. Only to find they've been characatured and stereotyped as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭blackbox

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    No doubt its a racist & insulting thing to do & I agree that the business should be fined but giving 12k to the victim is nuts.

1200 would have been much more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

I agree with it. Racial attacks should be met with harsh penalties.

An article I read earlier on this, was the picture was drawn becuase they didn't really seem to bothered with putting the name on. The customer expected it to be difficult for them, so was going to help. Only to find they've been characatured and stereotyped as a result.

Stereotyped how. If I though the happy face on my deliveries was a depiction of me I’d be flattered

Have we seen this apparent.. caricature? Did it have goofy teeth, or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

blackbox wrote: »

Yeah , I think judges seem to have a skewed view of the value of money , that's apart from fairness of penalising starbucks as opposed to the staff member .. although 12000 is buttons to Starbucks while it would a fortune to the near minimum wage coffee server ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

blackbox wrote:

I agree.
    In an ideal world the victim would have gotten 1200 & Starbucks would be been fined 12k. 12k for the victim is shocking. If she was beaten up in a racist attack she wouldn't have gotten as much.

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Yeah , I think judges seem to have a skewed view of the value of money , that's apart from fairness of penalising starbucks as opposed to the staff member .. although 12000 is buttons to Starbucks while it would a fortune to the near minimum wage coffee server ...

Starbucks can make that much money every minute, and more. And the barista reportedly still was retained and retrained. So it seems like nobody is worse for wear as a result of the settlement and the amount.

Advertisement