Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks ordered to pay customer €12,000 because of drawing on cup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And an apology and gesture would have sufficed, which is exactly what was offered, but she refused. You really think 12K is a reasonable outcome? This will set the scene for many more such claims, clogging up the courts from putting away some actual criminals.

Another example of someone who couldn't be arsed to actually read even the first paragraph let alone the full article and ends up looking very stupid.

It was the WRC who in additional to workers rights also deal with issues of discrimination.

They are seen as a soft touch and simply do not have the expertise in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

at least they didnt fire the employee, fair play to starbucks for that.it was an innocent mistake. the easy thing to do would be to throw the employee under the bus. There was a case lately where some ar$ehole team leader made monkey sounds at a guy working under him and told him he looked like a monkey, all he got was a written warning and the guy who was the victim of the racism didnt even win his case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Darc19 wrote: »
    Another example of someone who couldn't be arsed to actually read even the first paragraph let alone the full article and ends up looking very stupid.

It was the WRC who in additional to workers rights also deal with issues of discrimination.

They are seen as a soft touch and simply do not have the expertise in this area.

I did read the article (I posted it, afterall) and merely forgot that it was taken in the WRC and not the courts. Mea culpa. I made a mistake, so sue me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Stupid thing for the staff member to do but how it equates to 12k for the plaintiff boggles the mind.

12k awarded, solicitors and barristers will take the lions share and the legal system remains clogged up by frivolous cases.

Racism is abhorrent and should not be tolerated, but this case is hardly striking a blow for racial equality in Ireland and shouldn't be seen through such a lens.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,300 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Good to see you are more outraged at the compensation rather than racist behavior of ****bucks.

12000 is absurd IMO

Why can’t you disagree with the amount AND agree with the incident being racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

lawred2 wrote: »
    Trading on a global brand.
    The global brand aren't paying the costs here. The local pockets aren't quite as deep as some think. Not that it matters.

My take is that you can't train people in cop on, personally I can't blame the company for not telling the employee not to draw offensive pictures, it should be a given. There's no exhaustive list of what not to do and you can't predict every possible situation. You can judge them based on how they deal with the situation when it happens though, maybe that was lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

except nobody was fired :confused:
    but yeah, appropriate resolution.

The fact that the person that did the drawing was an immigrant themselves, will send all the closet racists and far-right boardies into an existential crisis.....

It really won’t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

walshb wrote: »
    12000 is absurd IMO

Why can’t you disagree with the amount AND agree with the incident being racist?

You can.

Frankly however I think it’s a fair reward.

QUESTION:

If this had happened in a small family coffee shop, would 12K still be the correct amount to award?

Can’t believe some people can’t see the offence here, surely nobody here thinks it’s ok to say “Oi slanty here’s your coffee “

• Advertisement

QUESTION:

If this had happened in a small family coffee shop, would 12K still be the correct amount to award?

If this had happened in a small family coffee shop, would the distress caused to the woman have been any less?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Can’t believe some people can’t see the offence here, surely nobody here thinks it’s ok to say “Oi slanty here’s your coffee “

Yeah well that’s your slant on the matter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

You mean , "Olā slanty here's your coffee" was a pesky Brazilian worker.

Everyone in Ireland knows this is racist. I don't think an Irish employee would have drawn that.

QUESTION:

Wha ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Yeah but nobody said that, or would have said that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

A way ott amount, I'd be more concerned having my name down if I was a woman, as its made public and could be seized upon by creeps, cant say what the picture was but it can't have been too bad if it has been ruled to have been unintentional. 1200 would have been a reasonable amount, now had it been a blatant case of racism, that would be a different story, but it wasn't. I dont like Starbucks or even having my name put on a cup, haven't been in eons, they should just give out a receipt with a code on it and have a screen showing your order is ready, maybe with a pictographs of your order size, and just follow that with a call out if someone isn't collecting it or just call it out, a grand latte whateverita called, here ya go, now bugger off.
    I think this would kill a small business, hope people are paying attention.

If this had happened in a small family coffee shop, would the distress caused to the woman have been any less?

You go first, then I'll answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

What adult doesn't genuinely know that drawing slanty eyes is unacceptable in this world.

Yes 12000 is a lot but in reality it could have been a lot more.

I admit some names are hard to hear, understand or spell especially to someone of a different nationality and in a loud environment but there has to be a better way of marking a cup of coffee for each customer. A number system maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭sporina

pgj2015 wrote: »
    was the employee fired as a result of the incident?

it would seem no...

I'm glad though - i'd say she was just being stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

What adult doesn't genuinely know that drawing slanty eyes is unacceptable in this world.

I admit some names are hard to hear, understand or spell especially to someone of a different nationality and in a loud environment but there has to be a better way of marking a cup of coffee for each customer. A number system maybe?

Maybe just let the customer pay and then hand them the coffee when it's ready like every other coffee shop. That name thing is a load of hole.

general observation from this thread - seems some people are posting without having even read the story..

oh dear...

Yeah, it's ok if it's comedy but it somehow becomes racist if it's on a coffee cup.

tenor.gif?itemid=9444857

• Registered Users Posts: 56,300 ✭✭✭✭walshb

sporina wrote: »
    general observation from this thread - seems some people are posting without having even read the story..

oh dear...

I read it

12000 here is absurd

WRC themselves said the employee did not mean or intend to hurt or cause offence..

It’s a disgrace that someone can wave a wand here and just award that type money for a drawing on a coffee cup..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Boycott ****bucks ...

I'm going to do this.

But then I don't drink coffee and have only been inside ****bucks once and that was about 14 years ago in San Francisco.

So I'm going to boycott by default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Wouldn't be surprised...most of them coffee shop staff are right tossers. I wouldn't be surprised if she's a tosser either, probably spelled out her name in a right condescending manner and all.

I much prefer insomnia, the staff are usually friendlier.

sporina wrote: »

oh dear...

How do you mean? The whole Workplace Relations Commission versus the courts angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,458 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah, it's ok if it's comedy but it somehow becomes racist if it's on a coffee cup.

tenor.gif?itemid=9444857

Very much stripping away the context of that episode, which first aired 22 years ago this March:

"Ted's "Chinaman" impression goes down badly with Craggy Island's Chinese community and he is branded a racist. In an attempt to prove he isn't a racist, Ted decides to hold a presentation on multiculturalism in Craggy Island to the Chinese. However, Ted's efforts to prove that he is not a racist are blighted by sheer bad luck. The title is a play on "Are Ye Right There Michael", a comic song by Percy French about the West Clare Railway."

****, even Dougle looked bothered by it in your gif.

BcH1mQSIAAAEpIm?format=jpg&name=360x360
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BcH1mQSIAAAEpIm?format=jpg&name=360x360

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

12 grand is ludicrous. For what? A fleeting moment of offence, whether intended or not?

The message this sends is fast and clear: there's money to be made out of this.

Some chancer, or someone genuinely down on their luck, the opportunity presents itself, looks good and you'll bet a ton of people would hop on it.

Like that supermacs thing where the owner insisted on fighting the courts for compo stuff, even putting cameras in the toilets to catch "accidents".

But how do you safeguard yourself against someone elses perceived "feelings"? Always be hyper aware of certain people and how they might interpret anything and everything you do as a negative, walk on eggshells?

Seriously stupid message to put out there, and if it was genuine then the courts should have taken much more off Starbucks and the money gone straight to something like Irish homeless people.

12 grand for a pinched feeling, fook sake. Nice decent car there, nice lump off a mortgage, many lovely holidays abroad, a decent education course, all for 60 seconds effort? Sign me up :p

• Advertisement

How do you mean? The whole Workplace Relations Commission versus the courts angle?

no.. people commenting and then asking Q's about the story - showing that they haven't even read it, but still have an opinion

Advertisement