Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor mcgregor is being sued *Read OP for mod warning*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

You think something is a set-up based on what the compensation that your solicitor recommends you ask for?

Hypothetically speaking now of course. If it were true that a woman had been assaulted by a multi multi millionaire in the fashion described or alluded to, what price would you put on the compensation?

Of course. This is compo culture Ireland where people get 12 grand because of a smiley face on a cup and politicians seek damages for falling off swings.

Anyone care to explain why the mother is also seeking damages? Did he assault her too??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Of course. This is compo culture Ireland where people get 12 grand because of a smiley face on a cup and politicians seek damages for falling off swings.

Anyone care to explain why the mother is also seeking damages? Did he assault her too??

So what is your answer to the question?

What would be an appropriate price that you would expect to see put on such a hypothetical scenario for you not to automatically rule it out as a set-up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I agree with you on compo culture but I’ll make an exception for an alleged rape victim getting a pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Johnny BGood

New York Times article on the lawsuit is brilliant.
    The attached paragraph gives the “nay-sayers” no other choice but to accept reality.
    Innocent until proven guilty is correct, but he has some serious questions to answer.

New York Times article on the lawsuit is brilliant.
    The attached paragraph gives the “nay-sayers” no other choice but to accept reality.
    Innocent until proven guilty is correct, but he has some serious questions to answer.

The same article alleges that the friend of the alleged perpetrator claimed he was the one who had had sex with the complainant.

• Advertisement

So what is your answer to the question?

What would be an appropriate price that you would expect to see put on such a hypothetical scenario for you not to automatically rule it out as a set-up?

Depends on the case. In this case claiming for a new house looks a total money grab.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I agree with you on compo culture but I’ll make an exception for an alleged rape victim getting a pay off.

I'd be ok too. Just take out the word alleged. Guards looked at this for 2 years and couldn't bring a case

Depends on the case. In this case claiming for a new house looks a total money grab.

It is quite a simple question.

If what is alleged to have happened, as reported, did in fact happen, what do you think would be an appropriate amount?

Bear in mind that if it did happen, then it could quite plausibly ruin her life. What would the amount be that makes you think "she's only setting him up"

10k? 100k? 1m?

It also does not say anything about claiming for a new house. It mentions the cost of moving to a new house. Not the same thing

It is quite a simple question.

If what is alleged to have happened, as reported, did in fact happen, what do you think would be an appropriate amount?

Bear in mind that if it did happen, then it could quite plausibly ruin her life. What would the amount be that makes you think "she's only setting him up"

10k? 100k? 1m?

It also does not say anything about claiming for a new house. It mentions the cost of moving to a new house. Not the same thing

My issue isnt the sum involved, it's the reasoning for the claim, as in moving house. Smells like BS to me. If they just said a mil for pain and suffering it wouldn't seem so dodgy, but the cost of moving? Hmm

Also, what is the mother claiming for?

My issue isnt the sum involved, it's the reasoning for the claim, as in moving house. Smells like BS to me. If they just said a mil for pain and suffering it wouldn't seem so dodgy, but the cost of moving? Hmm

Also, what is the mother claiming for?

It appears that the complainant is from the same area, and moved in somewhat similar circles to the alleged perpetrator.
    One might imagine that, given the alleged perpetrators popularity and connections among certain sections of society, that she might feel a little uncomfortable in remaining in that area.
    I would have thought that that was perfectly reasonable? No?

NYT article doesn't mention the mother.

• Advertisement

It appears that the complainant is from the same area, and moved in somewhat similar circles to the alleged perpetrator.
    One might imagine that, given the alleged perpetrators popularity and connections among certain sections of society, that she might feel a little uncomfortable in remaining in that area.

NYT article doesn't mention the mother.[/quote

That's a fair point but why can't she move to a home of equal value to her current residence?

The info article mentions two lawsuits. Second one is the mother. I imagine she is claiming some sort of distress but where does that end? I'm sure all family and friends of a rape victim are extremely distressed. Do they all get compensated too?

NYT article doesn't mention the mother.

That's a fair point but why can't she move to a home of equal value to her current residence?

The info article mentions two lawsuits. Second one is the mother. I imagine she is claiming some sort of distress but where does that end? I'm sure all family and friends of a rape victim are extremely distressed. Do they all get compensated too?

It never says where she is moving to. It just says that the calculated figure includes costs for the move. It does not say how much is attributed to each bit.

I don't know anything about the second case. When or if info comes out on it I might make a comment on it. We have no idea whether it directly relates to the same incident or whether it is for something else. No point speculating on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Realisticly its an expensive money grab if it doesnt pay off. You cant just sue someone, especially a multi millionaire, on a whim. The legal costs alone would make a frivolous claim a stupid move against someone with some financial muscle.

She must be confident in her case. Her confidence is probably based off Conors wreckless behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Rodin wrote: »
    The one thing money can't buy is class.

Love.

Money can't buy you love.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ah cmon, he admitted to sleeping with you’re woman and obviously paid her off, the child is the absolute spit of him!
    In regards to the hotel incident, the gardai gave the dpp a ridiculously strong file against him. The dpp dismissed dna evidence, only they can explain their ridiculous decision to dismiss the case.
    His victim will now have the opportunity to stand up in court backed up by evidence which includes cctv.
    It’s not looking good.

I’d bet both my bollocks that the DPP didn’t proceed because they knew they wouldn’t get a conviction.

Think about it, that trial would be a circus. McGregor would be entitled to anonymity but I’d bet that all the American networks would fly over and cover it, and not even bother to check the laws we have here and name him anyway.

There isn’t a chance we’d get a day out of the case before it’s thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Evidence of something happening is not evidence of who did it.

The fact they weren't paid off to go away speaks volumes in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

beakerjoe wrote: »

She must be confident in her case. Her confidence is probably based off Conors wreckless behaviour.

Doesn't have to be just has to wait for the right offer to be made from the legal representatives of his ,

If she wants justice she would be all over the media and social media with her claims but instead she wants compensation .

At the time the apparent rumors was this victim was destroyed and left in awful state yet no evidence to charge it's got nothing to do with a buy off either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Gatling wrote: »
    Doesn't have to be just has to wait for the right offer to be made from the legal representatives of his ,

If she wants justice she would be all over the media and social media with her claims but instead she wants compensation .

At the time the apparent rumors was this victim was destroyed and left in awful state yet no evidence to charge it's got nothing to do with a buy off either

So she should accuse him of rape in the media, and then he'd sue her into oblivion?

Am I misreading your claim or are you saying that if a hypothetical rape victim wanted justice, then they should forgo their anonymity on Facebook if they are genuine?

That they should publicly accuse a hypothetical suspect of rape on social media and not be worried about defamation or other repercussions?

Am I misreading your claim or are you saying that if a hypothetical rape victim wanted justice,

A hypothetical victim who's claim were completely rejected by the gardai and DPP and now we have person injury claim before a big fight for him ,
    Which will likely be settled out of court and the hypothetical victim signs a non disclosure agreement and she suddenly goes away quietly ,
    Why not go public with the claim she would find huge support by doing so why would he sue her if she's got evidence to back up her claim,

Personal injury claims are settled by insurance companies not individuals being sued.

Seems like a odd situation to me ,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Maybe she doesn't want any backlash on this targeted directly at her? If she already feels mocked and intimated now, it's sure to be worse if her name was out and this falls through.

All she did was follow legal processes. Its not other fault a certain media outlet in USA can name and shame Conor while listing the allegations against him.

A hypothetical victim who's claim were completely rejected by the gardai and DPP and now we have person injury claim before a big fight for him ,
    Which will likely be settled out of court and the hypothetical victim signs a non disclosure agreement and she suddenly goes away quietly ,
    Why not go public with the claim she would find huge support by doing so why would he sue her if she's got evidence to back up her claim,

Personal injury claims are settled by insurance companies not individuals being sued.

Seems like a odd situation to me ,

That's mental in my opinion.

Given that a criminal prosecution has not proceeded, she now has two options (following your logic). The first is to defame the guy publicly on Facebook. The second is to proceed with a civil case which may find in her favour and validate her story.

Given a hypothetical scenario where there were a number of people in a room. One person presents injuries and claims that they were assaulted by individual X. Individual Y steps forward and claims he inflicted said injuries during consensual activities. Throw in a load of illegal substances and somewhat foggy memories. It would not really be surprising if the DPP felt that there would not be able to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt. I think it is perfectly plausible that they know something happened while also knowing they wouldn't be able to get a conviction.

Not sure why you are going on about insurance companies. Not unless the alleged perpetrator has an insurance policy to cover any losses from rape/assault cases

The second is to proceed with a civil case which may find in her favour and validate her story.

They are looking for a certain figure do you honestly think they are going to court ,this is nothing more a negotiation that's the whole idea , here's what I'm looking for publicly ,this will never make it to a personal injury court ,

Your saying if she went public be would counter with defamation ,but yet she's supposedly got medical and physical evidence , bittern ,hit , choked , bodily fluids ,
    It a bit hard to dispute in this day and age ,

Maybe the DPP can publicly clarify why it wasn't prosocuted ,even victims groups and various metoo crowds are awfully quiet about this ,
    More noise was made about non existent onlyfans leaks than this

They are looking for a certain figure do you honestly think they are going to court ,this is nothing more a negotiation that's the whole idea , here's what I'm looking for publicly ,this will never make it to a personal injury court ,

Your saying if she went public be would counter with defamation ,but yet she's supposedly got medical and physical evidence , bittern ,hit , choked , bodily fluids ,
    It a bit hard to dispute in this day and age ,

Maybe the DPP can publicly clarify why it wasn't prosocuted ,even victims groups and various metoo crowds are awfully quiet about this ,
    More noise was made about non existent onlyfans leaks than this

You have no idea what she does or does not have. Neither do I

If she has nothing then no settlement

If she has nothing then no settlement

Settlements don't work like that ,

Let's look at another point the victim is looking for 1.4 million not ,5,10 ,20 million , he's supposedly worth several hundred million, seems to be a very lowball figure for a viscous assault against 2 individuals .

I can't see anywhere this is about justice ,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Realisticly its an expensive money grab if it doesnt pay off. You cant just sue someone, especially a multi millionaire, on a whim. The legal costs alone would make a frivolous claim a stupid move against someone with some financial muscle.

There'd be no lawsuit if he was just an ordinary Joe instead of a multi-millionaire. I'm open to correction but I think a civil case has a lesser burden of proof but it'll still be an uphill struggle of his word against hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jpscoles

he will end up like Mike Tyson. Loved and reviled when he is older and admits to all the **** he did.

Everyone loves tyson, but he was the same, a coked up vicious rapist and scumbag.

15 years time conor will have softened edges and tell all his crazy stories and everyone will be like 'ah he was only a messer'

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

you cannot get away with the slanty eye joke in 2021, the jim davidson fans are out in force this week

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'd be ok too. Just take out the word alleged. Guards looked at this for 2 years and couldn't bring a case

They did bring a case but the dpp didn’t see a conviction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Evidence of something happening is not evidence of who did it.

The fact they weren't paid off to go away speaks volumes in my opinion.

What ?

It was in the papers she was offered €1m and turned it down.

Its crazy the infatuation grown men have with a man they don't know from Adam and never will .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement