Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feral cat, moving house

• 20-01-2021 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I live in the countryside and adopted a semi-feral kitten approx 4-5 years ago.
    I spayed it shortly after and that's the only trip the cat has ever taken outside my rural setting.
    There's a cat flap on the garage door where it sleeps, it's best friend is the dog and it never strays more than 1/2km away from home. She is never indoors.

I am moving from Kildare to WestMeath in the coming weeks and nervous about moving the cat.
    My initial plan is to leave the cat until everything else is moved, put her in a catbox and let her out in the new home with the dog+kids around and immediately give her some treats. I'm concerned she will run and we'll never see her again. New home is very similar, single build/rural setting.

Anyone have any further advise or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

She will need to be kept inside, either in the house or garage if it's big enough, for a number of weeks. Otherwise she will likely just wander off and not find her way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

maybe now is your chance to tame her fully?
    in any case, you as mentioned previously, you will have to contain her for a couple of weeks so that she knows her new home. Absolutely dont let her outdoors even with the dog and treats - she will probably wander off and might/might not find her way home.
    Does your new home have a garage if you want to try to keep her as a yard cat only?
    A dog crate of some sort with a blanket thrown over it in an empty room or utility or shed will contain her until she settles in. Good luck with your move!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Keep her in for 2 to 3 weeks, I've done it with the last kitten that wondered in to me and she's still here a year later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have found two or three days enough to accustom a cat to a new place. Once it realises where the food is it will probably stay. One of ours left home about a week after we moved (the place was full of workmen) and was missing for 7 weeks, then she just turned up, wherever she had been she knew where we were. She was a bit thin but absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

keep her crated for about a month my friend didn't and her cat just left and was never found - keep her in doors get her a litter tray & feed her inside even if its only in the kitchen. You can put the whole crate out doors every day to get her used to the new smells etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement