Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accidentally overdosed creatine?

• 20-01-2021 4:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28

Hi all, just realised I've accidentally been overdosing creatine.
    Recently bought some creatine and as the scoop was buried at the bottom of the packet I just used the scoop from my whey protein.

It was only after I found the creatine scoop today that I realised it is only a 5g scoop as opposed to the 30g scoop I had been using for 4+ weeks at this stage.

Unfortunately I've been consuming 30g daily for the past few weeks plus a loading phase of 120g per day for 5 days. Should I go to the doctor or will I be okay? I currently feel fine, excluding some gi distress which I understand is to a common side effect of creatine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

You could give the National poisons centre a call, or contact your GP. https://www.poisons.ie/Public

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Bigjimdawg

You could give the National poisons centre a call, or contact your Gurl]

Seriously?

As a precaution or is it likely that I've done damage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

No idea why you didn't read the instructions on dosing but you should be fine.

Impotent but fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Bigjimdawg wrote: »
    Seriously?

Well they would be qualified to advise you.
    I am not qualified to advise you. AFAIK you are fine unless you have symptoms of kidney problems. But I'm just a random gobsh!te on the internet, not someone you should take medical advice from.
    You are provably dehydrated because you probably have the squits and are peeing a lot. Excess creatine is metabolised into creatinine which you pee out. So you probably would be well off drinking a lot of water while you wait to get proper advice.

Hi all, just realised I've accidentally been overdosing creatine.
    Recently bought some creatine and as the scoop was buried at the bottom of the packet I just used the scoop from my whey protein.

It was only after I found the creatine scoop today that I realised it is only a 5g scoop as opposed to the 30g scoop I had been using for 4+ weeks at this stage.

Unfortunately I've been consuming 30g daily for the past few weeks plus a loading phase of 120g per day for 5 days. Should I go to the doctor or will I be okay? I currently feel fine, excluding some gi distress which I understand is to a common side effect of creatine.

I did that many years ago with a creatine transport system in Tony quinns.
    I was doubled up with colic. The system was loaded with salts which the doctor told me gather in the colon and can cause some upset. H gave me stuff to help me crap told me not to take that garbage any more.

I did, I was fine in a day or so, and I lived to tell the tale.
    Just dont take any more of the stuff, for a while would be my advice,

• Advertisement

IIRC you get runs if creatine reaches your bowels without being absorbed, because it draws fluid into them. That's why micronized creatine is worth getting, because it dissolves more easily. If you are getting runs while on creatine I think it means you aren't absorbing everything you are consuming, so you should reduce how much you consume at a time.

Might book the doctor just to be sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

You'll be renaming yourself to Reallybigjmdawg with a few more weeks of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

You must be walking around like a giant fleshy water balloon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Does creatine not come in fairly small tubs? I don’t see how you could use 30g a day for weeks? How did the tub last so long?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Does creatine not come in fairly small tubs? I don’t see how you could use 30g a day for weeks? How did the tub last so long?

Got a 1.25 kg bag

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    You must be walking around like a giant fleshy water balloon!

Haha I think the water bloat is a bit of myth tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Seriously?

It's free, fast, and they'll have all the information and advice you'll need.
    If you go to your GP they'll probably look at you with ten heads before searching on the computer what creatine overdose does and then they'll slap you with a €60 bill for a 5 minute consultation.

At least the phone number could at least advise if you need to go to the GP for bloodwork etc.

sweet_trip wrote: »
    It's free, fast, and they'll have all the information and advice you'll need.
    If you go to your GP they'll probably look at you with ten heads before searching on the computer what creatine overdose does and then they'll slap you with a €60 bill for a 5 minute consultation.

At least the phone number could at least advise if you need to go to the GP for bloodwork etc.

Thanks I actually did give them a call earlier
    .They recommended I contact the GP. So I've got an appointment for Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You could give the National poisons centre a call, or contact your GP. https://www.poisons.ie/Public

+1 on this

ODed on creatine few years ago. Worked through it but wasn’t right for a few weeks.

+1 on this

ODed on creatine few years ago. Worked through it but wasn’t right for a few weeks.

What happened ?
    I have to wait untill Friday to see the doctor.

What happened ?
    I have to wait untill Friday to see the doctor.

Neil Francis is an authority on the damage creatine can do. He's written countless articles on it.

Guess we won't find out what happened to bigjimdawg.

grassylawn wrote: »
    Guess we won't find out what happened to bigjimdawg.

Once upon a time he did reps for Jesus.

Now he's doing reps with Jesus :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Studies have shown its safe up to 20g a day for months. There hasn't bee nany studies on 30g afaik.

I honestly doubt a GP is going to have any clue on the toxicity level for creatine off the top of his head.

• Advertisement

I haven't used creatine in years but I remember creatine hydrochloride didn't give me the squits, while monohydrate always did, micronized or not. It tasted like stomach acid and didn't have the same body of evidence backing up its efficacy, but it seemed to work and my stomach was fine.

Advertisement