Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought car and changed over insurance - new disc?

• 20-01-2021 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

This is probably a really obvious question but it's so long since I've changed cars that I'm doubting myself.

I got a new ( to me) car today & arranged for the insurance to be swapped over at noon.
    The person on the phone in the insurance company never said anything about a new disc being sent but it has to be really doesn't it?
    I could ring them back but don't fancy being on hold for 20 mins.

I have the receipt so should be covered if stopped by a garda

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I always just switch disc over and then replace when the correct disc arrives.

Edit, as per Midnight's comment below apparently it is an offence to not have the right disc for the new car.
    It's better to have no disc at all and produce the right disc in Garda station when it arrives from insurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

biko wrote: »

Yeah I'm daft and didn't grab my old disc but it's got to a reputable dealer so I'm not concerned about anything there.

I can expect a new disc though from what you're saying.
    Thanks

Depending on what insurer you have they may ask for the old disc back.
    Just ring them and ask about getting a new disc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Isn't the reg on the disk? So doesn't that make it invalid?

Once the insurance company have you on cover shouldn't be an issue but might be asked to production the cert at a station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Displaying a false disk on a car is a serious offence if you are caught

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

The account the current disc is connected to has the new reg registered.
    It is not trying to evade insurance, it's a placeholder while new disc is in the mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,284 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The new disc will be attached to the new insurance cert. You cannot display the old disc on the new car as the old car's reg is on the disc so would be invalid.

Displaying a false disk on a car is a serious offence if you are caught
    It's not a false disc. It is a real disc, with the new car's registration number in the system for a real insurance company that have agreed to insure the new car.

Perhaps you are thinking of driving without any motor insurance which is an offence that can give prison time?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/driving_offences.html#l011a8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's not a false disc. It is a real disc, with the new car's registration number in the system for a real insurance company that have agreed to insure the new car.

Perhaps you are thinking of driving without any motor insurance which is an offence that can give prison time?
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/driving_offences.html#l011a8

You can reason it all you like. It is an offence to display a disc on a vehicle it is not designated for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

That's surely suggesting fraud based on it not being the correct vehicles reg?

For the record, I've been in court over the exact circumstance ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

You legally don't need a disc for first 10 days after buying a car.

No point putting disc with another registration. You actually shouldn't and don't have to do it at all.

Ok, seems I have been shown the light.
    No disc is better than wrong disc.

wonski wrote: »
    You legally don't need a disc for first 10 days after buying a car.
    Can you add a source for this statement?

That's surely suggesting fraud based on it not being the correct vehicles reg?

For the record, I've been in court over the exact circumstance ;)
    You were in court for having insurance but using the incorrect insurance disc?
    What was the offence and the outcome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Surprised at a high power mod here drinking the Koolaid

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

You're just rude now Calahonda52.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You were in court for having insurance but using the incorrect insurance disc?
    What was the offence and the outcome?

Yes, it was 'non-display of a valid insurance disk' and the next morning I'd had the new disk so it was struck out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Can you add a source for this statement?

(1) When a vehicle is used in a public place the insurance disc for the vehicle shall be carried on the vehicle at all times after the expiry of 10 days from the date of authentication of the certificate of insurance.
    www.irishstatutebook.ie › eli › print
    S.I. No. 355/1984 - Road Traffic (Insurance Disc) Regulations, 1984.

Bear in mind it is separate from Garda giving you 10 days to produce, but probably one of the reasons why Gardai gives 10 days to produce.

Advertisement