Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buymie - no fees on dunnes orders

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 seenn00J

Would use them if they sorted the Dunnes vouchers out, I shop every week in Dunnes but wouldn't dream of paying full prices. Like has already been said, a lot of the groceries in Dunnes are at least 20% more expensive than Aldi/Lidl. Every single person in the queue any time I'm there is giving vouchers to the cashiers. I think the only time I ever paid full price in Dunnes was when my vouchers ran out and I needed new ones, probably happened once in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

jthalp wrote: »
    Good discussion folks. Here are some facts as I've just used the service, given feedback to buyie and had some replies from them to my questions. (I've used SuperQuinn/superValue for years so can compare experience):-
    - To place my order I used the buyie app and Dunnes Stores in Cournelscourt, Dublin
    - Order placed on 03/02 this week. I requested delivery the next day - got a delivery slot estimate time of between 5pm + 6pm
    - Order placing experience on the App very good - easy to use, save favourites etc.
    - Ordered tracking on the App so you can see when the shopper is actually doing the shopping, delivering etc.
    - Order delivered on 04/02 at 5.30pm by a very nice lad in his early 20's I guess - using his own transport (hey, it's the Platform Economy).
    - Checked the order - all items delivered but 2 were wrong type i.e not the exact one I ordered but close - not a big issue really.
    - Cost of Groceries was €155.46. Total charge to my card was €170.09. Delivery was free - first order. The difference is due the the various charges (not quite hidden as you can look them up on their website). Note apart from the Platform charge there is also VAT on that as well. I couldn't quite tally the full amount of the charges but it was close - so approx. €15 total in various charges.
    - Vouchers:- This is the biggie! You cannot use any Dunnes vouchers you have (I had €15 worth) and you do not get any vouchers back for your shop - I would have been entitled to €15 (I think). That effectively adds €30 to the cost of my shop using buyie as opposed to me going to the store itself!
    - I gave buyie feedback and they got back to me quickly. The acknowledged the Vouch issue and confirmed that the shopper does not get my order voucher nor does anyone in Dunnes.

Hope this helps.

If you spent 155 euro you would have got 30 euro in vouchers of your next shop. Its 10 for every 50. That's a massive loss if you do your shopping in Dunnes every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

Using this tomorrow to avoid the below zero temperature :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

I've used them a few times, only once have things gone even close, to how they should have gone.

Delivery slots should be changed from 1 hour slots, to 1 day slots, before you might start to rely on them.

If you are lucky, you'll get about 70% of the order that you submit. Everyone accepts that things go out of stock, but Dunnes Stores can't be that low on stock of every day items, on a regular basis. This isn't purely imported items btw, most are very popular Irish brands.

Buymie are clearly trying to compete with Ryanair and Eir, for the company with the sh1test customer service, in Ireland. Trying to get any sort of reliable, meaningful and timely interaction from them, is impossible.

... Try asking for help when your delivery person is circa 2 hours late, if you want an example... And as for expecting them to contact you in advance, if there is a problem, not a chance. Your time and custom means nothing, to this shower!

Absolutely disgraceful company to deal with, and unlikely to stay in business long, despite their extortionate profit margins on deliveries from the other retailers, aside from circa 6% on Dunnes deliveries.

Tesco and Supervalu delivery services are a million times better - more reliable, more professional, and probably a lot better value too.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭NewClareman

garrettod wrote: »
    Tesco and Supervalu delivery services are a million times better - more reliable, more professional, and probably a lot better value too.

We started shopping with Tesco a few weeks ago, to avoid going into stores. Really impressed, apart from the slots issue. We now book slots for every weekend, three weeks in advance.

We tried SuperValu three weeks ago, as we couldn't get a Tesco slot. It was a disaster. Groceries arrived over an hour late, in an unbranded van, in plastic sacks and big cardboard boxes. It was just a normal shop, Tesco would have used three crates, not full. Never again, never...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash2020

it sounds like this buymie comp is targeting the customers that dont care about losing out on dunnes vouchers and dont care about paying the delivery fee, if they get 40% of the population to start using its service it will be a nice tasty return every week / weekend, a business cant please all of its customers and if that means 60% of customers not using there service 40% is still a massive return. Everyone needs food! and not everyone likes or can physically go shopping, we also have the commercial sector that can write it off as an expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

So,

If we are to believe them...

* They don't get the benefit of the Dunnes Vouchers,
    * The shoppers don't get the benefit of the vouchers

* We know that the customer doesn't get the benefit of the vouchers, which they should be getting!

So, in other words, buying from Dunnes is costing everyone a lot more than just the 5.9% or whatever the margin is,that Buymie charge.

Then you also have to ask yourself, what are Buymie getting paid, but Dunnes? They are clearly getting something, because otherwise, they'd be hitting us with the same 15-16%, that they hit you with, when you use them to shop at Tesco or Lidl.

Them ask yourselves, are they also getting something extra, for saving Dunnes the cost of having to give the discount to the customer, for each voucher, and the concerts pints they were also entitled to?

If Buymie and Dunnes wanted to, they could have rolled out a system to provider the customer with the benefit of the vouchers, and clubcard points, in a matter of days. It suits both parties, not to do it, as its to their advantage, and the customers disadvantage. They just keep bullsh1tting anyone who asks about it....

Even with "free delivery", customers are being ripped off by this shower.

I understand people being happy to pay for a service, but this is far too expensive, and as for the word "service", read my post about three up from here!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

I was never arsed with the clubcard schemes so not losing out on that score anyway. All I know is that whenever I go to Tesco or Supervalu to attempt to book a delivery slot theres none for 3+ days. Went onto buyme at lunchtime today and got a slot for 5pm delivery. Got a phonecall 30 mins later asking if I was home to accept delivery earlier, which I of course was in this lockdown world of nothing. So ordered at 1pm or so and delivered by 3pm. No €7/8 dellivery fee either once you cross the €40 barrier.

ash2020 wrote: »
    it sounds like this buymie comp is targeting the customers that dont care about losing out on dunnes vouchers and dont care about paying the delivery fee, if they get 40% of the population to start using its service it will be a nice tasty return every week / weekend, a business cant please all of its customers and if that means 60% of customers not using there service 40% is still a massive return. Everyone needs food! and not everyone likes or can physically go shopping, we also have the commercial sector that can write it off as an expense.

I believe the breakdown in terms of Tesco's customer base was that the last figures were 9% using online shopping, which peaked to 16% during covid. And A quarter of online shoppers weren't actually getting deliveries, they were using click and collect (which is what I use, personally).

So at it's peak, 12% of Tesco's customer base are availing of their borderline-free, established, branded and professional delivery service, where they price-match substituted items, allow voucher use and award clubcard points.

If you think buymie are going to get anywhere near 40%, for a service run out of the back of some fellas car, charge a percentage fee, disallow vouchers or clubcard points and have apparently a shambles of a customer service team, then you're the most optimistic man on the planet. :p

EDIT: Link for reference.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/boom-in-irish-online-shopping-drives-tesco-sales-1.4289232
    In addition to providing more delivery slots for customers, it said it also increased the availability of its click and collect service, which now represents around a quarter of online orders.

As a result, its online grocery business has grown from 9 per cent to more than 16 per cent of its total UK sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

I used them once. There were some weird results, like I ordered what I thought were 3 bunches of bananas, yet I got three bananas for 3.30. Said so on the receipt.

Anyway, very prompt service. But the 4 plastic bags cost (not to mention the environment!) And the substitution of rubbish (monster munch for pombear), I'll leave it thanks.

Certainly would never use if I was charged a delivery fee on top of all this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

This seems like the opposite of a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I used them once. There were some weird results, like I ordered what I thought were 3 bunches of bananas, yet I got three bananas for 3.30. Said so on the receipt.

Anyway, very prompt service. But the 4 plastic bags cost (not to mention the environment!) And the substitution of rubbish (monster munch for pombear), I'll leave it thanks.

Certainly would never use if I was charged a delivery fee on top of all this

I had similar. Ordered multipacks, paid for multipacks, received single units and was charged for multipacks. Someone is making a fortune.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I had similar. Ordered multipacks, paid for multipacks, received single units and was charged for multipacks. Someone is making a fortune.

Haven’t seen anything similar to this myself yet and hope I don’t either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭xpletiv

This thread has been very entertaining to read. I dont think id ever use their service. Dont see them making 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

xpletiv wrote: »
    This thread has been very entertaining to read. I dont think id ever use their service. Dont see them making 3 years.

Very much a pandemic only business

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭TP_CM

Very much a pandemic only business

They've been going since 2017 I think. I don't think they'll sustain the growth they had in 2020, but I imagine there are a lot of elderly/disabled people who are glad of the service. I actually saved money week to week on it because it helped me buy just what I need as opposed to picking up random things along the way on a whim. But that's more a self-discipline thing.

But I ended up with 28 re-usable shopping bags in the space of a month so I stopped after that and started shopping myself again. If they solved that problem and allowed us to upload a picture of the Dunnes '€10 off' voucher to the app for the shopper to use, I would probably use it again.

Edit: Also, not all the products in my local Dunnes were listed on the app. I would say it's user friendly but there are a few key issues like that which deterred me.

This thread is a hot mess alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theyve been trading in 2014 so are now 7 years in business. Like yourself I wont be using them but I can see how many people would. Theres lots of people with mobility problems and OAPs who would be happy to use such a service. Similar with households with two parents working long hours, they'll gladly pay a premium for their weeks shopping to just land at their door. Its not for everyone but there is a clearly a market there.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

I've stopped using it due to the hidden fee jumping the order up a bit and then being charged then original total on app but somehow missing quite a bit of what I ordered.

There was one instance I was missing lots and was expecting to get some money back or whatever credited to account but the flipping order increased and that was me done.

Interesting to see on the investor breakdown I think online, I could be wrong but I think enterprise ireland have an equity stake for funding supplied.

I think they are trying to position themselves to be bought out by one of the large food apps like deliveroo, just eat or uber.i could be wrong in thinking this but just my thoughts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

They have introduced bagless delivery.

Required is that you have your own bags ready when they come and transfer it over.

Maybe they are reading the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 silentfreakout

I have been ordering for my elderly parents and now have them shopping on their ipad with Buymie, it has worked out so far, very well for them. They have recovered a little of their independence back by shopping for themselves I can check the shop for them and add extra items, also the app on android and ipad is identical so I can guide them on the phone if they get muddled. We had an issue with something delivered which wasn't ordered or may have been added by accident. The company were very quick to respond and very understanding of the situation. When you cant leave your home and you want to do a shop this is a great solution with speedy delivery. Yes you pay for the service and there's room for improvement ie. the email of your "order confirmation" does not have a copy of your order attached. Its different strokes for different folks I think on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Chacha97

They have introduced bagless delivery.

Required is that you have your own bags ready when they come and transfer it over.

Maybe they are reading the thread?

I actually think a certain poster in this thread is the founder or seems to be a person with an association. I could be way off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

When you cant leave your home and you want to do a shop this is a great solution with speedy delivery. Yes you pay for the service and there's room for improvement ie. the email of your "order confirmation" does not have a copy of your order attached. Its different strokes for different folks I think on this one.

I think you are right, and there is room for a service like this in the marketplace.

My main input on the thread was to attempt to highlight that the buymie service is substantially dearer, (even with the 'bargain') than the online delivery services offered by supervalu and tesco, and the the pricing structure is not a flat fee, like tesco/supervalu, and the larger the shop, the more the difference is apparent.

I think the way the delivery fee/charges is presented is more clear and transparent on Tesco/Supervalu websites - you reserve a slot, the price is next to the slot, and thts all you pay.

In addition at this time, you earn points and can use vouchers shopping online, with the big 2, as opposed to the current solution with buymie.

Not everyone lives in an area covered by the big 2. Not everyone is looking at the pennies, when shopping, otherwise there would be no convenience stores in Ireland!!

I have used buymie on a few occasions and was alway pretty happy with the shopper! During covid, available dates were challenging and buymie was a welcome option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

TP_CM wrote: »
    They've been going since 2017 I think. I don't think they'll sustain the growth they had in 2020, but I imagine there are a lot of elderly/disabled people who are glad of the service. I actually saved money week to week on it because it helped me buy just what I need as opposed to picking up random things along the way on a whim. But that's more a self-discipline thing.

But I ended up with 28 re-usable shopping bags in the space of a month so I stopped after that and started shopping myself again. If they solved that problem and allowed us to upload a picture of the Dunnes '€10 off' voucher to the app for the shopper to use, I would probably use it again.

Edit: Also, not all the products in my local Dunnes were listed on the app. I would say it's user friendly but there are a few key issues like that which deterred me.

The problem with Buymie is that the Grocer themselves does not want to use Buymie as a long term solution, they lose a lot of control of the process of picking and packing.

I think the dunnes offer is now over

Advertisement