Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intuitive Eating

Options
  • 21-01-2021 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I just want to share my story.

I'm in my mid 40's . Like most people I know I've wanted to lose a bit weight for as long as I can remember. I've tried everything really but nothing lasted long enough to make me a stick insect.

My first diet started off great I lost loads and was delighted. But after a few weeks I started having very vivid dreams about chocolate. Then one day I caved and ate a load of chocolate and crisps. That was my first ever binge. I went on and off diets like this for another 20 years. But my relationship with food became very unhealthy, I binged, exercised excessively and sometimes even purged. I would weigh myself daily or more when was being 'good' I would constantly think about food. Then it would all fall apart with an unmerciful binge. The whole cycle would start again. I'd l terrible about myself I would never buy nice cloths in my so called 'temporary' size. This meant I had lovely skinny clothes and terrible 'fat' cloths. That's never going make me feel any better is it? But I felt I didn't deserve it.

Once I wanted to open a new business and I felt I couldn't be successful at that if I could not at least lose weight and control my eating. I went on the diet got to my target weight so pressed go the business. The business ended up being a success, to spite the diet falling apart. It did stop me doing other things because I didn't think I was good enough.

A few years ago I got thinking why is nothing working from me. And I said I'd really research why it just wasn't happening for me. Why I used eat till I felt sick, eat terrible food, the go on another diet feel good about myself for a while, then give up and the whole cycle would repeat itself over and over again.

I'm a successful person, yet I continued to fail at this over and over again.

I came across intuitive eating and it has transformed my life. It is movement that promotes health at every size. It is completely anti diet and believes that diet culture does more harm than good. For me it cured my binge eating disorder. To look at me you would never have known I had any issue with food.

Basically it gives you complete permission to eat whatever you want whenever you want. There are several principles. And nutrition is the very last one.

So you eat whatever and whenever you want. It breaks the link with restricting food in your brain. You strat to relearn hunger and fullness and start having a better calmer relationship with food.

It wants you to only exercise for joy not weight loss purposes. You must completely reject diet culture.

I'd love you guys to read more about it, it has changed my life in the extreme.

I no longer binge and purge, I haven't weighed myself in years, I eat more healthy foods and my mind is a lot clearer.

A lot of people reject it off hand as burying your head in the sand or a lazy persons solution. And to be honest I thought it was crazy at the the start too.

There's a really good podxast called The Food Psych and a great book called Intuitive eating by Evelyn Tribole. If you want to read a bit more.

Best of luck and please keep an open mind to this idea.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That you, Evelyn?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Intuitive

No. If it was she would have explained it a lot better!!

I'd love this to become a place where others share their experiences. I would have loved this when I started down this road. And still would like the support as I keep going

. I still struggle with intuitive eating and children. I have kids and I haven't embraced it for them. So I tell them they have enough and to make sure to eat their veg etc. I'm terrified of creating any issue with them around food. And of course I don't want them to be overweight. So I'm not fully finished on this road yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mrsherself

Really interesting post. I'm in my mid thirties and I was in a diet and binge cycle probably since my early 20s. It had started to get really bad the last three years. I felt at times that I was crazy out of control.
    I joined OA at the start of this year and found it insanely difficult, not only the food aspect but the sponsor and the phone calls and the readings and the religion aspect etc. I quit, but I continued to be mindful about food and tried to focus on not overeating.
    So far its worked wonders. I haven't binge eaten in four months. That's the longest I've ever gone. Even when I used to do diets, I'd usually binge at the weekends. So this is the first time I've gone longer than a week not binge eating.
    It's fantastic! I have to say, I do still worry that I will fall off the wagon. I don't know if I will or not. But it sounds similar to intuitive eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I’m aware this is an old post, but nonetheless...
    Intuitive wrote: »
    My first diet started off great I lost loads and was delighted. But after a few weeks I started having very vivid dreams about chocolate. Then one day I caved and ate a load of chocolate and crisps. That was my first ever binge. I went on and off diets like this for another 20 years. But my relationship with food became very unhealthy, I binged, exercised excessively and sometimes even purged. I would weigh myself daily or more when was being 'good' I would constantly think about food. Then it would all fall apart with an unmerciful binge. The whole cycle would start again. I'd l terrible about myself I would never buy nice cloths in my so called 'temporary' size. This meant I had lovely skinny clothes and terrible 'fat' cloths. That's never going make me feel any better is it? But I felt I didn't deserve it.
    You are describing an eating disorder. This is clearly a unhealthy approach. It’s not caused by a dirt or dieting but rather the way you are trying to punish yourself for eating, then enfolding as you have punishment as a cancellation.
    I came across intuitive eating and it has transformed my life. It is movement that promotes health at every size. It is completely anti diet and believes that diet culture does more harm than good. For me it cured my binge eating disorder. To look at me you would never have known I had any issue with food.
    You may no longer binge eat. That’s good.
    But doesn’t necessarily mean it’s any healthier.
    And it may present itself as anti-diet. That’s just market positioning. It’s still a diet.
    Basically it gives you complete permission to eat whatever you want whenever you want. There are several principles. And nutrition is the very last one.
    Was t eating whatever you want without restrictions exactly what you were doing while you were binging?

Eating whatever you want whenever you want I pretty much how most people get themselves to a place where they are overweight and unhealthy.
    Most of them don’t obsess about food, weight, etc either.
    I no longer binge and purge, I haven't weighed myself in years, I eat more healthy foods and my mind is a lot clearer.
    It’s great that you’ve kicked the binge/purge cycle.
    Has your weight and/or size improved? If not then it doesn’t seem to be that useful for overall health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mrsherself

Mellor,

With all due respect, it doesn't sound like you've experienced any eating disorder yourself (if you have, you don't sound well-informed).

You suggest that she suffered not due to dieting but due to punishing herself. It's well-known actually that dieting is part of the cycle of binge eating. Dieting itself can indeed cause binge eating. You should look up B. E. D. for more info on that.

You seem to focus a lot on weight in your comments which is understandable if you don't have experience of eating disorders. I struggled with B. E. D. for years, and I can tell you this - weight became the least important aspect of it. My mental health was the most important. If someone had told me I could quit binge eating but I would remain fat, I would have taken that.

I don't understand what drew you to this particular post. Maybe you could explain, but it seems like you wanted to pick at someone who has a mental health disorder by pushing their buttons about things like weight.

I might have gotten the wrong end of the stick here, but as someone with a history of an eating disorder myself, I personally would not welcome your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mrsherself wrote: »
    Mellor,

With all due respect, it doesn't sound like you've experienced any eating disorder yourself (if you have, you don't sound well-informed).

You suggest that she suffered not due to dieting but due to punishing herself. It's well-known actually that dieting is part of the cycle of binge eating. Dieting itself can indeed cause binge eating. You should look up B. E. D. for more info on that.

You seem to focus a lot on weight in your comments which is understandable if you don't have experience of eating disorders. I struggled with B. E. D. for years, and I can tell you this - weight became the least important aspect of it. My mental health was the most important. If someone had told me I could quit binge eating but I would remain fat, I would have taken that.

I don't understand what drew you to this particular post. Maybe you could explain, but it seems like you wanted to pick at someone who has a mental health disorder by pushing their buttons about things like weight.

I might have gotten the wrong end of the stick here, but as someone with a history of an eating disorder myself, I personally would not welcome your comments.

As someone who has also had an eating disorder, I didn't find it offensive because I don't think its intended as such. And objectively I can recognise where some of the points are coming from. Giving yourself permission to eat whatever you want when you want does read a bit like giving yourself permission to binge. But I don't think its intended that way. Its supposed to be about having that balance where you can have some cake without feeling bad and so on. But I can see how it read like permission to overeat regularly which wouldn't be a particularly good principle.

That said, it's not about being anti-diet per se but its principles are about recalibrating your relationship with food and being more mindful of eating. Which is a good thing. But often times you may need to first address underlying issues that are manifesting themselves through food issues before you tackle the relationship with food.

mrsherself wrote: »
    Mellor,

I haven’t had an ED. Not that it’s any if your business tbh. And I don’t see why somebody needs to have had an ED.
    Rewarding yourself when you are good, only buying bad clothes in temp sizes etc is the very definition of punishment.
    Of course the food you eat becomes a trigger. But a trigger is not a cause. You are confusing correlation and causation. An ED is mental. Nothing you eat can cause an ED. It can only be caused internal thoughts and behaviour.
    You seem to focus a lot on weight in your comments which is understandable if you don't have experience of eating disorders.
    I focused on weight as that was the OP’s goal. She outlines that in the second sentence.
    Also, the vast majority of diet posts on this forum is are weight loss focused. The OP is suggesting intuitive eating to them. It’s makes sense to discuss it in relation to the typical poster.
    If it wasn’t a focus for you, that’s fine. But my post wasn’t aimed at you.
    I struggled with B. E. D. for years, and I can tell you this - weight became the least important aspect of it. My mental health was the most important. If someone had told me I could quit binge eating but I would remain fat, I would have taken that.
    It sounds like the OP is no longer binging and purge. For all intents and purposes , there is no ED anymore.
    In which case it’s logical to return to the original goal, health improvement through weight loss.
    I’m sorry but that is utter nonsense.
    It’s a discussion forum. My post was discussing the topic. Accusing me of abusing others is pretty low.
    Also, i’d love to know how you are in position to diagnose the OP with an eating disorder. That’s a bit presumptuous of you.
    I think you’ve clearly projected yourself into the OPs comments. I’m not sure why you you do that.
    The comments were not directed at you or your situation. That doesn’t feel like a good approach in a forum with a variety of diet posts.

Giving yourself permission to eat whatever you want when you want does read a bit like giving yourself permission to binge. But I don't think its intended that way..

Just to add Alf. I fully get that the intuitive aspect can serve to break a habit or even recalibrate an entire mental connection with eating. If that is somebody’s primary need, then sure it’s makes sense.
    But increasingly intuitive eating is being suggested (on this forum and elsewhere) as a weight control tool. It is fundamental not for weight control, and the creator will affirm that.

Mellor wrote: »
    Just to add Alf. I fully get that the intuitive aspect can serve to break a habit or even recalibrate an entire mental connection with eating. If that is somebody’s primary need, then sure it’s makes sense.
    But increasingly intuitive eating is being suggested (on this forum and elsewhere) as a weight control tool. It is fundamental not for weight control, and the creator will affirm that.

No I get that and that's what I was basically saying in the last paragraph.

It wasn't intended as a knock on intuitive eating as a concept...just that its not actually designed for weight control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sunshine2018

Intuitive eating is a fabulous concept - Frees you from the tyranny of food control and dieting, takes away a lot of anxiety and stress and can work really well for people who are carrying a small bit of weight and who need to adjust their unhelpful thinking around food. It’s also key for those who suffer with an eating disorder BUT I really don’t think it’s effective for significant weight loss. If you are obese I think it’s nearly impossible to lose weight with intuitive eating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Health at every size and intuitive eating are scams, aimed at weak people who want an excuse for their bad relationship with food.

Obese people aren't healthy, and most overweight people have food addictions.

You can't solve a sugar addition by allowing yourself to eat sugar.

Stop listening to obese extremist bloggers and listen to actual scientists.

You'll also notice the people pushing intuitive eating are always obese.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Health at every size and intuitive eating are scams, aimed at weak people who want an excuse for their bad relationship with food.

I disagree.

People get hung up on one or two snippets of it rather than actually looking at what it is aimed at doing.

If you read it properly, it's about recalibrating a relationship with food. Yes it says give yourself unconditional permission to eat (key word being 'unconditional'), but it also talks about feeling your fullness, i.e. being more mindful of eating and stopping when you are full. It also talks about not using food as a means to cope with emotions; exercising for the enjoyment of it and the benefits that are a by-product.

And it also talks about honouring your health through better food choices.

None of that is about giving people a free pass to have a bad relationship with food. It's about helping people move away from having a bad relationship with food.

It's not a means to control caloric intake but it will potentially help someone move away from an unhealthy relationship with food to be in a position to look at the most sustainable way for them to manage caloric intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

You'll also notice the people pushing intuitive eating are always obese.

Well that's just an outright lie

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Well that's just an outright lie

When obese is normal, everyone looks slim.

Often people think if intuitive eating “worked,” they would lose weight. Nope. If your definition of it “working” is weight loss, intuitive eating is not the method you want to use.

It’s not for weight loss or changing your appearance or shape. It’s for healing your relationship with food and body.

If you've never had a poor relationship with food, either directly or indirectly, then that may be why you don't understand the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

When obese is normal, everyone looks slim.

Natacha Oceane and Stephanie Buttermore
    Intuitive eaters. Very fit and healthy

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Natacha Oceane and Stephanie Buttermore
    Intuitive eaters. Very fit and healthy

Two grifters who never had an eating addiction.

Surely you can spot a grifter when you see one?

Just an update 3 years later.

I'm still eating intuitively and the food choices have changed hugely. I find when I shop I forget about the cakes and crisps. I say no to fun foods more often than not. Yes I do 100% eat fun foods but it has decreased massively.

In October I started exercising again for joy. I do a gym class a few days a week a bit swimming and walking.

My cholesterol is still slowly coming down. I have still not weighed myself, i don't believe I've lost anything but that was never the aim.

In terms of my children I'm not at all restrictive and a lot more relaxed around them. I always make a dinner full of veg, they have healthy breakfast and lunch. But I never make them feel bad for eating McDonalds or having sweets. And nothing bad has happened them!

My GP is unreal he is totally supportive of intuitive eating. Telling me he is hearing about it more often in medical circles.

I still am not fully comfortable with my body image and the fact that I will never be skinny. But I'm getting there.

Its been a long road but fantastic to free my brain from calorie counting, binging, purging and over exercising.

Below is an Instagram page I found the other day for anyone who might be interested.

https://www.instagram.com/intuitive.eating.ireland?igsh=MWhxZXBlMGVobTJ3Ng==

• Advertisement

You've really never weighed yourself in 3 years? Including at doctors check ups? what is your actual cholesterol?
    I'm also curious about the claim that losing weight was never the aim. The OP opened with "I've wanted to lose a bit weight for as long as I can remember."

There's a huge difference with being obsessed with being as skinny as possible, and with wanting to lose some weight.
    A=In the former, an obsessive body image view can lead to issues. But the latter is likely a healthy step for most people. The reality is, most people need to lose a bit of weight and be a bit fitter. For many people, it's more than a bit.

No I have not weighed myself in I think 5 years. I was weighed once at a consultants appointment. I asked not to see the result. But she did tell me my bmi was OK. That was I'd say 3 and 1/2 years ago.

Since then I've refused to be weighed at medical appointments. This has been accepted without question. My GP recommended not weighing myself, because of my history.

Don't remember what my cholesterol is. But it has gone down a tiny bit in each of my last two blood tests. I do not have high cholesterol.

I do not practice intuitive eating to lose weight. I had always wanted to up until 5 or so years ago.

Dieting resulted in an absolutely terrible relationship with food and exercise for me. 95% of intentional weight loss plans do not work in the long term, I do not fall into the 5% who manage to keep the weight off.

Upshot of this whole thing is, I'm not tortured by food, I exercise and have a much much better diet.

Next thing I'm going to work on for myself is mindfulness practice.

I would 100% recommend intuitive eating to anyone who is wondering what's "wrong" with them and why diets aren't "working " for them.

It's taken a lot of work to undo the damage dieting has caused me. Learning recognise hunger being a big part if it! Eating when hungry has been a lot harder that you'd think. Imagine not drinking when thirsty! Or going to the toilet when you need to.

Calorie restrictions over time leads a reduction in your metabolism. Making it more ans more difficult to lose weight. Google The Biggest Looser study.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ava_johnson

I would like to try intuitive eating, I am interested in this topic

Obviously there is a mental benefit you you personally. But how do you know it’s working, it’s healthier for you physically, if you are not tracking a physical marker like; weight, body fat, bmi, blood tests, cholesterol, etc?

I would 100% recommend intuitive eating to anyone who is wondering what's "wrong" with them and why diets aren't "working " for them.

I know it’s marketed as not-a-diet, or a non-diet. But it is still, regardless of what the creators say, a diet. Veganism a diet, not aimed at weigh loss but still a diet.

Calorie restrictions over time leads a reduction in your metabolism. Making it more ans more difficult to lose weight. Google The Biggest Looser study.

That is largely an overstated myth. It simple doesn’t happen in normal situations.
    The biggest loser contestants were US reality TV sized. 100s of lbs overweight. They basically starved themselves and crashed as quickly as possible. If somebody no longer had to carry 200lbs of dead weight, of course their metabolism drops significantly. They are literally no longer carry a massive load everywhere.

But combine new lower bodyweight, with old bad diet, and sedabtey lifestyle. Weight regain is expected.

I have bloods taken regularly and my cholesterol is down slightly everytime. It was close to high now it is completely fine, can't remember the numbers, I must take note the next time.

I know you have noted the mental benefit as an advantage. I can't explain how big an impact this has on me and i believemy overall physical health. I sleep better, I do not binge, purge, over exercise, miss social occasions & I am no longer obsessing over food.

I suppose what I'm saying is I think this is the best option for me. Intentional weight loss for me leads me to a dark place. I am heavier but I believe and my GP believes it's the best course for me to take. I will point out that in the last year I'd say I have started to get smaller but it's so slow I barely notice it, just the cloths from last summer are fitting better. But it is not my target to get smaller. I land where I land. I think this has led to overall better physical health for me.

Mellor I hope you are correct about tue metabolic rate. I must research this further.

I get your point about diet what I meant of course was weight loss diet. It's just the way I eat. I am far enough along on my journey now that I do consider nutrition in my food choices. When I started doing this I didn't consider nutrition, and the food choices were what would be considered "poor". Now I'd say I have what's considered a pretty balanced diet. Yes I absolutely eat foods that aren't nutritionaly perfect, but i don't eat them too often.

Sorry forgot to add that I exercise a lot more now too. I go to the gym for weights and walk, swim and cycle. I had stopped exercising apart from the odd walk. I had do disassociate exercise from intentional weight loss. Can't remember how long this had taken to get to this point. Gym is only since October the others have been there a few years.

Anyway I hope this helps someone get to a better place.

Advertisement