Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebuild Gaming PC

Options
  • 21-01-2021 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi,
    We had 2 PCs primarily used for gaming.

The newer one has Ryzen 5 2600x,
    B450m Ds3H, RX580, 500gb SSD nvme and 16gb ddr4.
    It's working great and running quiet with high settings on Call of Duty, GTA and Minecraft.

The older one was i5 4460, h97m D3h, GV-N770 oc 4gb, 16gb ddr3, 250gb sata SSD, be quiet 'power 7' 600w.

Recently installed GTA 5 online. It generally was running fine. But started to stutter and lag while others in same server didn't find the same. Last night was stuttering very badly. The other computer was on the same server and ran smoothly. Old pc was very warm. I was going to install monitoring software to have a look at temp but didn't.
    This morning it wouldn't boot up. Stripped everything out did the usual trouble shooting, reseated CPU, new paste, tested PSU from newer pc. All to no avail. It boots to bios screen and then shuts down and restarts itself and keeps doing this.
    I think motherboard or CPU are fried.
    I had given both machines a good clean out before Christmas. Probably should have done paste.

So I need to replace this machine. After Christmas I don't have a great budget. €600 max.
    Is the gfx too old?
    If not this would save a lot.
    I would like to get a 1tb SSD.
    I found it a challenge managing space with 250gb.
    Screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers all fine.
    I presume I can reuse my copy of Windows 10?
    PSU should be good too.
    Ideally I would like a new case as old one was is not in great shape, too big and power button temperamental.
    Any advice on what's good for budget gaming build at the moment would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dhplayer

What does the following look like.
    All from amazon.de
    Discovered gfx are hard to come by at the moment.

Sharkoon S1000 Window micro ATX case, black
    In stock.
    € 41.60

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black,
    # 1 best seller in memory
    In stock.
    € 74.90

Crucial P1 1TB CT1000P1SSD8 Internal SSD-up to 2000 MB / s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2),
    In stock.
    € 79.90

MB ASRock AM4 m-ATX D-Sub / HDMI / DVI DDR4 Retail - AMD Socket AM4 (Ryzen) - Micro / Mini / Flex-ATX, B450M PRO4,
    In stock.
    € 72.41

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4, 2GHz AM4 35MB Cache Wraith Stealth,

Available from January 24th, 2021.
    € 199.00

Total (5 items): € 467.81
    plus €18 delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Coyler

The GPU you have is fine. A 770 is a notch below a RX580 but hardly a huge difference. If you can find a RX580 cheap by all means but I wish you good luck with that.

My advice, by a i5-10400f and a H410/B460 board. 16GB DD4 (8GBx2). Doesn't matter what speed as you can go past 2666 on a H410. Amazon.de will set you back around €300 depending on board and RAM. H410 are the budget boards that usually have two DIMM slots and the B460s are the business geared boards that usually have 4 DIMM slots and better cooling so pays your money and take your choice. Me? I spring from the B460.

The i3-10100f was the budget king there for a while but it's must be selling out as the price has gone insane.

As for SSD, you've plenty to spare. €100 would cover you for a 1TB P2 that would do you lovely.

Just clone the drive and boot her up. They are intel chipsets so you are probably fine if you don't want to do a clean install at first.

Unfortunately, you probably can't reuse your Windows 10 copy as they are tied to the motherboard. I changed my motherboard and had blag a new licence but mileage may vary. Be aware, I've got a few computers running with not activated licence. Doesn't effect anything that matters and if you want to you can buy cheap keys from various places.

As for case, Kolink do some great cases and PSU aimed at the bang for buck market. You'd even have some spare for a few PWM fans and a splitter and stay under €500.

Real pity about the i3-10100f. At €80 that was incredible value.

Nothing wrong with yours either. 3600 is a little overpriced but better than a few week ago. I'd probably still go for a ATX case though. Just gives you more options going forward.

Coyler wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with yours either. 3600 is a little overpriced but better than a few week ago. I'd probably still go for a ATX case though. Just gives you more options going forward.

Thanks. The i5 you recommend looks like a great budget option. Looking it up now

From Amazon.de

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 Solid State Drive Gaming SSD hard drive, black,
    (read / write up to 3500 / 3000MB / s)

€ 115.44

Intel Core i5-10400F (base clock: 2.90GHz; socket: LGA1200; 65Watt) box,

€ 147.85

Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G30C15U4B 3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, desktop gaming memory kit, 16GB (8GB x2), CL15, black,

€ 72.78

From Komplett.ie

Corsair Carbide 100R
    Midi-Tower, 2xUSB3.0 / Audio

€59.95

ASUS PRIME B460M-A
    Socket 1200, Intel B460, Micro-ATX, 4x DDR4, 2x M.2

€80.99

Total from Klomplett with shipping €160
    Total amazon with shipping € 349.74
    Grand Total €510

• Advertisement

It's highly debatable you'll see the benefit of buying a much faster SSD than the P2 I linked. Even the P1 you listed is grand. By the time you need something faster you'll probably need a board with Gen 4 PCIe and Gen 4 NVMe to go with it. But that's in 2022 at the absolute earliest. At the moment 500MB/s is perfectly fine. You are wasting money buying anything better. Just get a M.2 NVMe drive because there are no cables and have are cheaper per GB that other drives now.

Brilliant thanks.
    Was just about to pull the trigger.
    Changed to the Crucial P2
    And discovered a discount on it.

Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1TB internal SSD, up to 2400 MB / s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2)
    € 98.08 € 84.57
    € 13.51 discount taken into account

Many thanks for your help on this.

Damn. Now Out of stock of the B460m board in Komplett.

Thanks for that.
    I will look at a new gfx when they become more available and have more money.
    The newer build is my son's PC so cant borrow anything.

MSI MAG B460 Torpedo
    Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. EUR 109,71

Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1TB Internes SSD, Bis zu 2400 MB/s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2)
    Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. EUR 98,08

Intel Core i5-10400F (Basistakt: 2,90GHz; Sockel: LGA1200; 65Watt) Box
    Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. EUR 148,36

Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G30C15U4B 3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Speicher Kit, 16GB (8GB x2), CL15, Schwarz
    Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. EUR 74,00

Corsair Carbide Series 100R PC-Gehäuse (Mid-Tower ATX Silent) schwarz
    Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. EUR 60,51

Verpackung und Versand: EUR 15,36

Endbetrag inkl. USt.: EUR 495,74

• Advertisement

No harm getting the 3200Mhz RAM. Same price and if want you can just sell on the i5 and mobo and replace with a Zen 2 or 3 CPU with a PCIe 4 mobo. It will just run at the 2933Mhz that board is capable of for the time being. Just give yourself an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Think the 10400F is limited to 2666mhz. ****ty move from Intel to be honest. Unless I am wrong you need Z490 to run 3000+mhz with the i5.

You are indeed correct. Double checked there and got a little mixed up. Still 2666Mhz won't have any impact while using a 770. And if the RAM is the same price you might as well get the faster RAM.

Coyler wrote: »
    You are indeed correct. Double checked there and got a little mixed up. Still 2666Mhz won't have any impact while using a 770. And if the RAM is the same price you might as well get the faster RAM.

Unfortunately I had it ordered before I saw your suggestion of faster memory. The sticks I got were 3000mhz cl15.

Not to worry. You can cross that bridge when you get to it. You not losing out on anything now and more than likely you'll be looking at other RAM for optimal speeds by the time you change. Maybe even DDR5.

Parts arrived in 3 deliveries from Amazon.de. Today, yesterday and day before, everything within 1 week. Was really surprised how quick they were. All back up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

dhplayer wrote: »
    MSI MAG B460 Torpedo
    Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. EUR 109,71

Crucial P2 CT1000P2SSD8 1TB Internes SSD, Bis zu 2400 MB/s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2)
    Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. EUR 98,08

Intel Core i5-10400F (Basistakt: 2,90GHz; Sockel: LGA1200; 65Watt) Box
    Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. EUR 148,36

Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G30C15U4B 3000 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Speicher Kit, 16GB (8GB x2), CL15, Schwarz
    Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. EUR 74,00

Corsair Carbide Series 100R PC-Gehäuse (Mid-Tower ATX Silent) schwarz
    Verkauft von: Amazon EU S.a.r.L. EUR 60,51

Verpackung und Versand: EUR 15,36

Endbetrag inkl. USt.: EUR 495,74

Hey guys,

Maybe ye can help me...
    I got the exact same motherboard and CPU as above. Tried installing it last night...keep getting a problem with the vgu. The EZ debug LED is stuck on white on vgu. Cannot get any signal to my monitor. I'm not using a graphics card. Ive no peripherals plugged in. Only thing thats attached is the power cables and 1 stick of 8gb RAM and CPU fan. Any ideas?
    Looks like it's a motherboard/CPU issue.
    Said I'd check here first in case someone came across this before.... before I send it back. :(:(

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

The i5-10400F does NOT have onboard graphics (that's what the F means). You need a graphics card or a different processor.

minitrue wrote: »
    The i5-10400F does NOT have onboard graphics (that's what the F means). You need a graphics card or a different processor.

D'oh! Think i forgot that in my desperation!
    Sorry should have said I tried it with a graphics card and same situation..it was working in my old pc...might have an old one lying round that i could try out . Thanks for the reply.

Still no good with this.
    Tried a friends graphics card, powers up, lights on, fans on etc but still no display.
    Gone through all the steps but thinking now do I need to update the bios on the motherboard?
    Probably my last shot at it.
    Can't think of anything else it might be.

• Advertisement

I'd try clearing the cmos but I don't think you even could update the bios/firmware on that board without a working display, not that I can see any reason why you would need to. Page 37 of the manual tells you how to use the jumper to clear the cmos https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C81v2.1.pdf

It sounds like a faulty board to me, I had a z390 msi board which died claiming the cpu was bad but it was actually the board which had died.

I presume you are connecting power to the gpu(s) if they need it?

minitrue wrote: »
    I'd try clearing the cmos but I don't think you even could update the bios/firmware on that board without a working display, not that I can see any reason why you would need to. Page 37 of the manual tells you how to use the jumper to clear the cmos https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C81v2.1.pdf

It sounds like a faulty board to me, I had a z390 msi board which died claiming the cpu was bad but it was actually the board which had died.

I presume you are connecting power to the gpu(s) if they need it?

I was looking at videos that update the bios without a display. Just plugging in a usb but I don't want to go near it incase I brick the MB. Was thinking of bringing it to a pc repair shop and see if they could update the BIOS...either using another CPU or usb stick.

I tried taking out the bios battery then putting it back in again. No good. I don't have a jumper cap to use but I've seen people touching the pins with a screwdriver to jump it.

Yeah all leads going into the GPU are plugged in.
    Gpu Lights are on, fans are running etc. but no picture. ez debugging light stuck on white on VGA.

Bought the cpu and MB from amazon.de so hopefully its easy enough to send it back and get it replaced, if I need to go down that road.

A screwdriver will do to clear the CMOS (note the instructions, disconnect power and keep it on the pins for 5-10 seconds).

I really don't think a bios update is going to do anything for you here, that board should support the cpu no matter what bios version is on there. The only thing a repair shop "should" be able to do is work out for certain what part is faulty (motherboard or cpu) as it sounds like you can rule the rest out having tested it with a known good gpu. But to confirm, you said you just have 1 stick of ram in there, have you tried it in all slots and if you have two sticks have you checked with both and I presume the gpu worked when it went back in your friends computer!

The other thing to check is to see if it works outside the case, assuming it is in a case? It might be shorting somewhere? You'll have to pull it out to return it anyway.

Tried everything. Took it out of the case, Switched the rams around, screwdriver trick with the bios...all no good. Led lights goes from CPU to ram to VGA then just stuck there on white. Must be a problem with the MB so. Gonna send it back. :(
    Thanks for your help.

Advertisement