Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gas boiler flue, vertical vs. horizontal

• 21-01-2021 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    12 y.o. gas boiler is making scary noises so looking to replace. Contacted a supplier and they're coming round to give a quote.
    They asked various questions and the one thing they picked up on is our current flue is vertical, which might be a problem.
    They also said might need to become horizontal.
    I understand regulations will change over time, but any idea why a 12 y.o. vertical flue, c.1m proud from the roof slates near the bottom of the roof pitch, might be an issue?
    NB there is an air inlet to the room beside the cupboard where boiler is (put in at same time) which would be close any horizontal flue by my estimation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Flues can be vertical. They just need to be fitted in accordance with building regulations, as do horizontal flues. Sounds like they're being lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It may have less to do with building regs and more to do with the boilers which can have a combined intake and exhaust in the one pipe so its easier to drill say a 4 inch hole straight out over the new boiler..

Have you had it serviced, may be simple, 12 yers is not old

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

It may have less to do with building regs and more to do with the boilers which can have a combined intake and exhaust in the one pipe so its easier to drill say a 4 inch hole straight out over the new boiler..

Have you had it serviced, may be simple, 12 yers is not old
    Spot on. Turns out the boilers are sold with horizontal flue so vertical flue is an unavoidable additional cost. The sales guy owned up to being a bit of Jeremiah about having to convert to vertical so we're going ahead retaining a vertical flue.

I had it serviced already and that guy couldn't identify any specific issue other than a bit of corroision in flue so given the hassle of dismantling kitchen units I'm going for a replacement whilst we're at it.

Apparently it was Ideal's first attempt at a condensing boiler. Lovely sales pitch - it appeals to your sense of being in the know.
    Anyhoo, being stuck next door to the boiler all day I can do without it's sporadic mad noises.

And sticking the intake and outlet into one pipe, who thought that was a good idea?

Advertisement