Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Pic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

RD10 wrote: »
    Pic?

Quality not that great.

tanko wrote: »
    Good stuff, i couldn't have been more wrong. Is the calf off your new Sim bull?

Ya, let him off with a good few roan ones, this is the first roan he bred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

That’s a real nice calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Quality not that great.
    She is a lovely calf and will be worth some money in time if you sell her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A friesian cow calved a angus bull calf on Friday morning. OH put iodine on its navel and the calf was up sucking in half an hour. I noticed a fair few spots of blood in its dung a few minutes ago. The calf is otherwise healthy, sucking and doesn't have a temperature. Does it have a problem scour coming on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I takes a few days for things to be normal after being born. If it's not sick and dung was OK otherwise I wouldn't worry

Better pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Better pic.

Great timber under her, as they say around here.........

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Great timber under her, as they say around here.........

The cow made good work to calve her, that's a fine calf and hopefully a cow maker for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

Any of ye plagued with Crypto scour this year? Past 4 weeks have been rough. Never experienced anything like it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Better pic.

She'll be one for gort

Toplink wrote: »
    Any of ye plagued with Crypto scour this year? Past 4 weeks have been rough. Never experienced anything like it before.

Touch wood. None here this year yet. Hope I don't jinx it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    Touch wood. None here this year yet. Hope I don't jinx it

The mild spring brought allot of problems
    Like to move calving to January to avoid Crypto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

The mild spring brought allot of problems
    Like to move calving to January to avoid Crypto

Why is that - is it related to air temperature ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sami23 wrote: »
    Why is that - is it related to air temperature ?

With the mild spring, good quality first cut silage from last year Vets were busy around here with sections and crypto
    We’d a bit this year for the first time in a good while
    A friend was telling me he gives every March & April born calves halacur and had done for years but doesn’t to the Christmas calves

• Registered Users Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭squinn2912

With the mild spring, good quality first cut silage from last year Vets were busy around here with sections and crypto
    We’d a bit this year for the first time in a good while
    A friend was telling me he gives every March & April born calves halacur and had done for years but doesn’t to the Christmas calves

We had it with a f*** of a drop calf we bought in. Two others got a mild lick of it but we had the halacur right away with them. This all happened in autumn and obviously the pens were thoroughly cleaned but yea some of the later calves were a bit dopey so they got the halacur too and it tightened them up.

Another 1 waiting for me this morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Caught a yearling heifer sucking an incalf heifer who’s about 8 weeks from calving. Brought her in, milk in all 4 quarters.
    What’s the best thing I can do for her to ensure she doesn’t lose any quarters?
    Milk her out, tube her and seal her? Or don’t milk at all?
    Leave her be?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

If an in-calf cow is being sucked prior to calving how does this affect her? Does it have an effect on the calving date?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If a cow is being sucked prior to calving how does this affect her? Does it have an effect on the calving date?

Her colostrum will be useless. Have surplus colostrum ready for her calf.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭RD10

Another 1 waiting for me this morning :D

Lovely animal. Heifer???

RD10 wrote: »
    Lovely animal. Heifer???

Ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Ya.

Is there much shorthorn breeding in the mother?

tanko wrote: »
    Is there much shorthorn breeding in the mother?

Not much, mother is a lim out of a ch x sh cow.

Bought a few bags of Rolled Oats in local co op today for a couple of late calves to feed with minerals. But when I opened the bag the oats don't seem to be rolled at all. Seem to be full oats.
    Just wondering does this make much difference for feeding to the cows.
    Cows on hay also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Bought a few bags of Rolled Oats in local co op today for a couple of late calves to feed with minerals. But when I opened the bag the oats don't seem to be rolled at all. Seem to be full oats.
    Cows on hay also.

They'll pass straight through. They'd be fine for sheep but need to be rolled for cattle.

Cows on hay also.

Anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Anyone

If it say's Rolled oats on the bag, then that's what should be in the bag. Check with wherever you bought it and get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I do feed rolled oats to the bucket fed calves (an old man told me it helps stop them getting the belly bucket fed calves can get and I think it works) but the stuff you buy can sometimes seem to be poorly rolled it more like its chopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Cows on hay also.

Can you not take them back? Has the bag been mislabelled or was the wrong bag picked up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I do feed rolled oats to the bucket fed calves (an old man told me it helps stop them getting the belly bucket fed calves can get and I think it works) but the stuff you buy can sometimes seem to be poorly rolled it more like its chopped.

Does straw not do the same thing really for the belly

If it say's Rolled oats on the bag, then that's what should be in the bag. Check with wherever you bought it and get a replacement.

I wouldn't mind bringing it back at all but if it did the same job as the rolled stuff would just save me the bother.

Would it make much difference to the cows I wonder

Can you not take them back? Has the bag been mislabelled or was the wrong bag picked up?

It says Rolled Oats on the bags alright and the pallet was nearly empty so nobody must have complained about them before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Oats do not crush the same as barley, they look intact after the rolling. Also there isn't as much "flour" in the oat as barley, more chaff which is good for a calf /pony/in-calf cow.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Does straw not do the same thing really for the belly

Straw does but I didn't find it as good the year I fed it, I am happier with the results from the oats plus it help bulk up the meal and gets the calves eating meal quicker.

• Advertisement

Oats do not crush the same as barley, they look intact after the rolling. Also there isn't as much "flour" in the oat as barley, more chaff which is good for a calf /pony/in-calf cow.

That's it there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

My cow that calved a week ago is sick, developed mastitis in a quarter. I was drawing on it as calf woudont have been able to drink the amount of milk she was producing. After couple days got another calf on her once a day to drink. Was then sick looking sick and found the mastitis. Was drawing it, she is on way 3 of shots from vet and tubes. Has appetite again, but seems a bit wobbly today producing froth when chewing and her dug is well back on what she should do. Anyone come across before. Was wondering would it be milk fever maybe.? Will be in touch with vet tomorro. She was to go out to grass tomorrow too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What does the mastitis look like? Have you given her anti inflammatories? If it was watery it could be e coli and would make the cow sick. I'd say get the vet out as fluids is the main thing with e.coli, intravenous treatment as well if she is sick with it

Ya it was watery alright, Not much coming today from any pap, will lock calf away from her on the morning. For few hours. Calf is well able now. she was on 2 bottles. Can't remember name now, they were new to me, maybe Tilmicosin. Will check in morning. Appetite back now alright and stomach filling up.

I'll see how she is in morning again.
    Thanks

What age is she?

• Advertisement

Maybe 7.

Not too old so.
    If it's ecoli mastitis that's a horrible ailment, can be difficult to treat. See what your vet thinks.

If it's ecoli you need to strip it out often to get rid of the toxins. Every couple of hours

Ya I was draining it couple times a day. She ok today, still dropping white froth. Bag empty all quarters. The other cow in with her has massive dug so think maybe both calves drinking the 1 cow. Separated this am. Drained 1/4 hardly anything came off white. No temp.
    Will see how she goes during the day with calves away from her. I find the very little milk worrying, but sprayed teats to show me that she is not being milked. Vet a shout in the afternoon

My girl with the DEP inside her has a string of slime 2 foot long hanging off her yesterday and tofay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

tellmeabit wrote: »
    Ya I was draining it couple times a day. She ok today, still dropping white froth. Bag empty all quarters. The other cow in with her has massive dug so think maybe both calves drinking the 1 cow. Separated this am. Drained 1/4 hardly anything came off white. No temp.
    Will see how she goes during the day with calves away from her. I find the very little milk worrying, but sprayed teats to show me that she is not being milked. Vet a shout in the afternoon

I'd go earlier with the vet, e.coli can kill the cow if it is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Sounds like ecoli. You need to get them fast. I had one few years ago like that - very sick - she went dry and never returned back to milk so I bottle reared the calf. Thankfully she recovered and has milk in all4 quarters again. Don’t know how she made it! We were giving her bottles of coffee to get the stomach moving if I recall- passing no dung either. It was misdiagnosed as a displaced stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tellmeabit wrote: »
    My girl with the DEP inside her has a string of slime 2 foot long hanging off her yesterday and tofay

The cervix plug. I reckon 5 days from passing this, they calf. Interesting to see when your one calves.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

The cervix plug. I reckon 5 days from passing this, they calf. Interesting to see when your one calves.
    I had a second calver passed the plug on Sunday (wasn't sure what it was) she calved herself last night. I was watching her very tight as I had to take a big heifer calf from her last year.

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Sounds like ecoli. You need to get them fast. I had one few years ago like that - very sick - she went dry and never returned back to milk so I bottle reared the calf. Thankfully she recovered and has milk in all4 quarters again. Don’t know how she made it! We were giving her bottles of coffee to get the stomach moving if I recall- passing no dung either. It was misdiagnosed as a displaced stomach.

Oh. The cow herself is grand now again. Eating and drinking away. Finished work now so will check again. The shots she got were tylosin and colvasone

• Advertisement
Advertisement