Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symptoms

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Stay at home, protect the health service and save lives. It’s that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Stop worrying, go and get your shopping, hse dont consider you a close contact until your friend gets results. You are not breaking any restrictions by going shopping.
    And if friend is positive, you are only a close contact if you were within 2 metres for more than 15 mins without a mask.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

And if friend is positive, you are only a close contact if you were within 2 metres for more than 15 mins without a mask.
    Is this magic 15 minutes thing still doing the rounds? Safe at 12, infected at 17...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is it any wonder people get confused when there's so much incorrect information flying around.

If you are a close contact, you do not need to quarantine. You need to restrict your movements.

This means that you should stay at home as much as possible and should do your best to avoid leaving the house and coming into contact with others. But if you need to go to the shops to get some urgent food and have nobody to get it for you, then you can do that.

More info here:
    https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/if-you-live-with-someone-who-has-coronavirus.html

Quarantine/self-isolation is required if you have tested positive. It means you do not leave the house unless you can go somewhere that you can guarantee not to come into contact with another person. If you need urgent supplies from the shop and have nobody who can get it for you, you contact the Gardai who can arrange it.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Is this magic 15 minutes thing still doing the rounds? Safe at 12, infected at 17...

Yes. Was an outbreak in my sons office before xmas and this is what they were told by hse.

• Advertisement

Cerveza wrote: »
    Is it any wonder we are in the state we are in when you are telling the op to go out shopping and they probably Covid positive.

It's no wonder people are in the state they're in (annoyed at these draconian restrictions etc..) when it's not only the Gov , but plenty of cheerleaders as well for the "Stay at home" advice.

Going by the info prior to our posts it seems to me to be improbable that the OP has the bug. That won't stop people blowing stuff out of proportion. It aint the self-righteous Boards way.

Cerveza wrote: »
    Is it any wonder we are in the state we are in when you are telling the op to go out shopping and they probably Covid positive.

The op doesn't have symptoms and so far is not considered a "close contact". So why shouldn't they go shopping, if its essential.

We have enough restrictions in place atm, no need to make more up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

People are in bad form these days with the pubs closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You may not get delivery slot at short notice but maybe grab one for when you will next need supplies, if Tesco\Supervalu deliver to your area.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The op doesn't have symptoms and so far is not considered a "close contact". So why shouldn't they go shopping, if its essential.

We have enough restrictions in place atm, no need to make more up.

Because you might catch it in the shop.

It's just good practise to avoid things you don't have to do. If you can. If you can't then there's no reason to ask the question in the first place.

The OP may not have intended to, but this thread reads like "I'm asking for a friend". Especially for the speed readers, and hard of reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Chatting to a buddy of mine this morning over the phone. The whole family have been laid up with C19.

Wife and daughter went to sister's house St Stephen's Day and they all caught it and brought it back to hubby and son. My buddy and wife (both 50 and he smokes), daugter and son (in their mid 20s)

Hubby said that wife caught it first and he then went for a test on a Sunday- came back negative and by Wednesday when he went again he was positive and symptons started.

He said they all had different symptoms:- aches all over but back in particular, temperature, sweats, only he lost taste and smell, basically said aches all over was the most obvious common sign- said it felt like the day after a really hard gym session.. Daughter had a bad cough.

He said the speed at which its spread was shocking. All over the worst of it. No hospital.

A lady at work here is self isolating as husband tested positive but he has no obvious symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Good to hear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes. Was an outbreak in my sons office before xmas and this is what they were told by hse.
    Makes for a good simple and simplistic soundbite but it's still quite clearly a nonsense. Then again the same HSE not so long ago were telling people that wearing masks was both useless in the community while protective in clinical settings. At the same time. And fomite transmission was the primary risk. And unless someone was symptomatic they weren't infectious. Months after all of the above were shown to be not the case.

In some cases like the masks it was a keep it simple white lie to protect supplies of PPE, because the public can panic buy. Or in the current case of the advice that if you have symptoms there are no other viruses around so assume you have covid. Yet of all the people tested since christmas when the numbers were getting too high and they mostly excluded the asymptomatic from testing, it seems the majority who report symptoms return negative results, os it seems there are other bugs about or people are imagining symptoms, or both. The advice is to keep idiots going out in the community thinking they've only a head cold and spreading covid.

The 15 minute rule is another keep it simple white lie to keep the panic levels down and reduce the numbers presenting for testing and track and trace. The US CDC has qualified thier "15 minute rule" months ago.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Called my GP Friday for an appointment. Usual symptoms of sinus infection. She wouldn't see me until I had a test done. Got the results this morning. Negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Wibbs wrote: »
    Makes for a good simple and simplistic soundbite but it's still quite clearly a nonsense. Then again the same HSE not so long ago were telling people that wearing masks was both useless in the community while protective in clinical settings. At the same time. And fomite transmission was the primary risk. And unless someone was symptomatic they weren't infectious. Months after all of the above were shown to be not the case.

In some cases like the masks it was a keep it simple white lie to protect supplies of PPE, because the public can panic buy. Or in the current case of the advice that if you have symptoms there are no other viruses around so assume you have covid. Yet of all the people tested since christmas when the numbers were getting too high and they mostly excluded the asymptomatic from testing, it seems the majority who report symptoms return negative results, os it seems there are other bugs about or people are imagining symptoms, or both. The advice is to keep idiots going out in the community thinking they've only a head cold and spreading covid.

The 15 minute rule is another keep it simple white lie to keep the panic levels down and reduce the numbers presenting for testing and track and trace. The US CDC has qualified thier "15 minute rule" months ago.

I always understood the 15 minutes thing as a statistical thing and not a mathematical formula. And I understood it to be in the context of air transmission. Not sitting down and chatting to someone and touching the same surfaces as them.

The longer you are in the vicinity of someone who has it, the more likely you are to pick it up. Obviously that likelihood would increase with time. So they didn't want to panic people and pointed out that if you were sharing the same air as someone for 15 mins, you were more likely to have not caught it than caught it. Rather than it was somehow magically physically impossible to catch it if you were only there for 14 minutes.

OP. You might be lucky. Because there is a few days between infection and being infectious. It depends on the person of course. They say you are typically infectious for a day or two before symptoms. Assuming that the person who tested positive got their test in good time, then hopefully either they weren't infectious when in contact with your friend, or else she was not infectious when she met you. Unless someone waited a day or two extra to either get a test or inform others. You will hopefully be lucky

Edit to add. But until you hear from your friend, please assume you have it and act accordingly just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Tested positive last week
    So far my symptoms have been flu like.
    Very sore sinus and blocked.
    Headaches.
    Zero taste or smell.
    Aches all over.
    Burning sensation behind the eyes.
    Can feel it in your chest/the heart.

But in good form, eating drinking well, getting plenty of rest (as you can with two young kids in the house)

Definitely not the sickest I've ever been. The flu of 2019 was definitely worse for me personally. But then I'm only a few days into this.

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement