Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40211837.html
    The Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu has hit out at ongoing racism and intimidation after a group of far-right protestors showed up at her home and challenged her for wearing a face mask.

None of the quotes in the article from Hazel Chu mention racism.

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1352542352800362496

Author of the article states that this happens because "she is a woman of colour and it's disgusting"

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1352503764377210881

Her editor probably wants a bit more evidence before making it a headline, Aoife doesn't seem to require that.
    The IRB event had been cleared with gardaí but the event was circulated on far-right message boards, urging others, not involved with the IRB, to show up and protest against Ms Chu.

What are some far-right message boards? I don't know of any because I've never needed to know but just curious as to which message boards the author decided were far right.

It's all so tiring...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Who usually protests there yearly? Dissident republicans?

The turning of the seal, its an IRB tradition I believe, its about signifying sovereignty from the British, Im not 100% but something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I'd love if the media and the NGO Racism industry could publish a definition of "far right" so we could all be on the lookout for it.

When literally everything that the Irish Times and RTE don't agree with is far right, then it's hard to be vigilant, as it means every situation and coversation is rife with fascism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I certainly don't agree with intimidation of any person in any setting.

Hazel Chu however was happy to stoke the fires of division in the wake of the George Nkencho case where lockdown ignoring gatherings were encouraged and anti white racist rhetoric was spewed at people barricaded inside a local shop.

You can't laud the actions of one mob and expect to be free from the attentions of another.

She has a public office and whilst that doesn't entitle people to harass her she also has to be responsible enough to not make inflammatory comments whilst in that role.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

this was nothing to do with that

• Advertisement

Nokotan wrote: »
    What are some far-right message boards? I don't know of any because I've never needed to know but just curious as to which message boards the author decided were far right.

It's all so tiring...

According to some folk who POST here, the Current Affairs forum is far-right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

nullzero wrote: »
    I certainly don't agree with intimidation of any person in any setting.

Hazel Chu however was happy to stoke the fires of division in the wake of the George Nkencho case where lockdown ignoring gatherings were encouraged and anti white racist rhetoric was spewed at people barricaded inside a local shop.

You can't laud the actions of one mob and expect to be free from the attentions of another.

She has a public office and whilst that doesn't entitle people to harass her she also has to be responsible enough to not make inflammatory comments whilst in that role.
    CD Player wrote: »
    Well said. She's a womanchild who fell for the American identity politics meme.

Most people have no problem with her being Chinese, they have problems with her being a race baiting twat.

Tremendous stuff. Telling too.

this "protest" was about masks... wasn't it??????? No??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

According to some folk who POST here, the Current Affairs forum is far-right.

It is

Nokotan wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40211837.html

None of the quotes in the article from Hazel Chu mention racism.

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1352542352800362496

Author of the article states that this happens because "she is a woman of colour and it's disgusting"

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1352503764377210881

Her editor probably wants a bit more evidence before making it a headline, Aoife doesn't seem to require that.

It's all so tiring...

"If you’ve only come on here to say ‘But, not all Irish are racist’ then you really need to take a look at yourself"

"They're not protesters, they're terrorist organisations."

"25 years on from Lansdowne Road have
    @gardainfo
    forgotten how to deal with Far Right Fascists and Neo-Nazis?"

"Bring in Hate Speech laws and rain down on these bigots"
    Couple of the messages popping up on twitter.

Hhooo boy.. this is gonna get a lot worse before it gets better.

°°°°°

Tremendous stuff. Telling too.

this "protest" was about masks... wasn't it??????? No??????

Aren't the anti mask people supposedly part of the "alt right" in Ireland?

So what exactly about my post was telling?

The part where I said she shouldn't have been intimidated? Or where I pointed out that picking a side in the ridiculous identity politics "war" would logically see her paid a visit by the other side?

Seeing as the doorstep intimidation was all about racism (according to the journalist who wrote the article) surely the "alt right" showing up on her doorstep had nothing at all to do with her stirring racial tensions in the media only a few short weeks ago.

Play stupid games and you win stupid prizes.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

It is

Prove it.

You stating something as fact doesn't mean it isn't open to being scrutinised.

Glazers Out!

It is

You spend a lot of time on what you consider a far-right platform.

That's odd behaviour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

this ,

she was happy to cheer on racist black mobs a few weeks ago.

5 idiots showed up a public building and rant about lizard people vs a large mob screaming racist rhetoric at people who had to lock them self's behind steel shutters or be attacked

she is not a good person to be lord mayor

That woman can barely string a sentence together without the word racist in it somewhere.

If there was that much 'ongoing racism' she wouldn't be the lord mayor. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It is

Bollix.

The only ones who think that tend to spend their lives in feedback telling us the far right are under everyone's bed,

It's must be a new kink labeling politics

That woman can barely string a sentence together without the word racist in it somewhere.

If there was that much 'ongoing racism' she wouldn't be the lord mayor. :rolleyes:

^^^This

It's remarkable in Ireland how the likes of Hazel Chu and Ebun Joseph constantly howl about how terrible racist the country is, while enjoying positions of power and prestige they were handed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

The most racist people I have ever met have been South East Asians. Perhaps Hazel should focus on the racism in her own community?

What community?

She lives in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Some of these people clearly have mental health issues

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

The most racist people I have ever met have been South East Asians. Perhaps Hazel should focus on the racism in her own community?

She is serving her city and country with pride. I find it very satisfying to see how much she triggers racist types

She is serving her city and country with pride. I find it very satisfying to see how much she triggers racist types

Out of curiosity, can you name something she has ever done to serve the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Methinks Chu as Mayor of Dublin isn't quite up to the keeping of the spirit of the Mansion House
    In 2015, to commemorate the 300th Anniversary of the Mansion House as the residence of the Lord Mayor of Dublin, the Office of the Lord Mayor & Dublin City Council commissioned Irish poet Dermot Bolger to write a poem which would capture the essence of the house.

https://www.dublincity.ie/council/your-city-council/lord-mayor-dublin/mansion-house/mansion-house-300
    Let no one ever restrict these streets, spider-webbed by alleyways.
    That all weave routes back to this house which Joshua Dawson built.
    May we exercise our right to congregate here, to protest or converse In the shadow of the mansion on the street that belongs to all of us.
    ~Dermot Bolger April 2015 Dublin

https://www.dublincity.ie/council/your-city-council/lord-mayor-dublin/mansion-house/mansion-house-300

That said I personally don't think anyone should be demonstrating during the current Pandemic or furthering any political shenanigans Chu included.

°°°°°

Is it satisfying to you when she stokes racial tensions and encourages people to flout lockdown procedures?

Glazers Out!

Allinall wrote: »
    What community?

She lives in Dublin.

I think he meant other Asian people.

Now is it racist that he mentioned she might be part of the Asian community? If so, why was it not racist when people referred to the black community living in fear of police violence?

Is it racist that people are bringing up her race in relation to a protest which had nothing to do with her race?

The rules of being virtuous are inconsistent and hard.

I just prefer not being racist and treating everyone on their actions and not their ethnicity. Having a child who isn't white and not wanting her to be either hindered or helped by her skin colour seems logical, somewhat too logical of a dream.

But I am after all Boards.ie' "Resident Racist" (not a name I gave myself btw, a name bestowed on me last week by a delightful poster) so what would I know?

Because she hates racism?

i would imagine 99.99% of all public figures hate racism.

Why are you not calling for all the others to complain about racism?

°°°°°

Because she raises the issue of race seemingly every time she opens her mouth to speak publicly.

Glazers Out!

Probably because this thread is about Hazel Chu and the protest at the mansion house, that'd be my guess.

I think he meant other Asian people.

Now is it racist that he mentioned she might be part of the Asian community? If so, why was it not racist when people referred to the black community living in fear of police violence?

Is it racist that people are bringing up her race in relation to a protest which had nothing to do with her race?

The rules of being virtuous are inconsistent and hard.

I just prefer not being racist and treating everyone on their actions and not their ethnicity. Having a child who isn't white and not wanting her to be either hindered or helped by her skin colour seems logical, somewhat too logical of a dream.

But I am after all Boards.ie' "Resident Racist" (not a name I gave myself btw, a name bestowed on me last week by a delightful poster) so what would I know?

Why are you asking me these questions?

they have nothing to do with my post.

Possibly because most of them haven't built their entire political career out of playing the racism card.

Because she raises the issue of race seemingly every time she opens her mouth to speak publicly.

Eh... No she doesn't.

• Advertisement

I am calling for her to sort out her own community first.

Sort out in what way?

And who exactly are "her own community"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement