Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

it is her home. she lives there.

She does not own it, She is just residing there temporarily as per terms and conditions of being the Lord mayor of Dublin.

The press coverage is dis-ingenious in reporting her home, it was not her private residence which she owns. This creates more drama from the media/ newspapers to sell the story and make money out of it.

The mansion house is her official residence which is owned by D.C.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jumped the gun and went along with the Twitter mod accusing innocent male school teachers of being paedophiles/ephebophiles and called members of An Garda Síochána racist and murderers. Her position is untenable.

But is there any way the electorate can shift her out the exit door?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Think it comes under threatening behaviour/public order type offence

Yes it does, Section 6 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just give these people a good dose of reality. A crack in the head with a baton should cure their condition. If not, add broken ribs and jaw.

These people intimidate with force in a peaceful, non-confrontational nation. Just give them a dose of what they're asking for.

Thats how it is in the pen.

Just bang em in the face until they cant intimidate no' mo'

Wtf are you on about !!?

I don't think hate speech is a crime in Ireland. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure Hazel is working on something related to that? Hate speech laws are needed but the recent fines we've seen have been encouraging.

What about the hate doled out with threats against a serving member of an garda siochanna??? Where was the pious miss chu then??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

.anon. wrote: »

Why are you so interested in seeking proof that a bunch of far-right protesters

Public official claimed protests were racial ,Gardai made one arrest not anything to do with racism ,

Yes I'm seeking proof ,

Im saying, if a bunch of nutjobs showed up at my mansion house spouting conspiracy theories and threatening me I wont hesitate to dump a load of hot lead from my shotgun and drop as many of these subhumans as I could.

These people are privileged to live in a nation where they can even show up at the mayor's house doing sh*t like this. In Serbia the police would've shot them all with AK 47s and beat their aunts and uncles until they admit sedition.

These people that do this are only able to because Ireland is a nation of peaceful, non-confrontational people. I say away with that and just show them exactly what they're asking for.

Crack em and make em bleed.

This is a wind up???? And if its not...points of view aside..you should come bowling with me and de lads...youre a mad ****

rusty cole wrote: »
    This is a wind up???? And if its not...points of view aside..you should come bowling with me and de lads...youre a mad ****

Doesn't Serbia sound like a great place

Im saying, if a bunch of nutjobs showed up at my mansion house spouting conspiracy theories and threatening me I wont hesitate to dump a load of hot lead from my shotgun and drop as many of these subhumans as I could.

These people are privileged to live in a nation where they can even show up at the mayor's house doing sh*t like this. In Serbia the police would've shot them all with AK 47s and beat their aunts and uncles until they admit sedition.

These people that do this are only able to because Ireland is a nation of peaceful, non-confrontational people. I say away with that and just show them exactly what they're asking for.

Crack em and make em bleed.

You sound like razz al goul in batman begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Still waiting for some one to point out something positive that she has done or some reason she deserves to be lord mayor of Dublin

I'll wait for you to name other Dublin City councillors who do more and are more deserving of the Lord mayor role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Gatling wrote: »
    Public official claimed protests were racial ,Gardai made one arrest not anything to do with racism ,

Yes I'm seeking proof ,

can you point to Ireland's laws that criminalise racist protests?

Because using "the Gardai didn't mention racism" is a bit stupid when we don't have hate crime laws, the bill dealing with them is still under debate.

can you point to Ireland's laws that criminalise racist protests?

Because using "the Gardai didn't mention racism" is a bit stupid when we don't have hate crime laws, the bill dealing with them is still under debate.

Don't waste your time I have posted twice now a link to the department of justice website where they state there are no laws specifically targeting hate speech. And twice I have i have been ignored. If the dept of justice says there are no laws that's good enough for me as proof.

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Legislating_for_Hate_Speech_and_Hate_Crime_in_Ireland_Report

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

I'll wait for you to name other Dublin City councillors who do more and are more deserving of the Lord mayor role.

It's amazing that it took this - a non-white Lord Mayor - for them to discover that the selection process for a ceremonial position, previously held by such luminaries as Maurice Ahern, Seán Haughey and Royston Fucking Brady (he rarely uses his middle name), has absolutely nothing to do with merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Which racist posts? Who said anything about racist posts? I'm certainly strongly of the opinion that those defending and/or downplaying the harassment of Hazel Chu are racists, but I'm fairly sure they're not breaking any rules. It seems that as long as you avoid any obvious landmines, like blatant use of racial epithets, and stick to dog-whistling instead, you can be as racist as you like on Boards
    There's people on here (they know who they are) with hundreds if not thousands of posts, day in day out, giving out about black and/or brown people. Now while they mightn't specifically make any racist statements in their posts it's clear as day they just don't like black/brown folk.

I like to use the sports analogy. If someone was to go on a football forum day after day, post after post, criticising say Man United, it would be pretty straightforward to come to the conlclusion that, even though they may not have come straight out and said it, said poster has an obvious dislike of Man United.

can you point to Ireland's laws that criminalise protests

Public order ...

Billy Mays wrote: »
    There's people on here (they know who they are) with hundreds if not thousands of posts, day in day out,

Name and shame or report them so ..

All well and good sitting behind a keyboard complaining about stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

All well and good sitting behind a keyboard complaining about stuff .

Much the same as politicians using twitter to complain about stuff then?..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What laws?
    The only laws I know of that explicitly call out race are the equal status act. Which is not relevant in this case.
    What other laws are you taking about because the dept of justice seems to indicate there are not laws against racism.
    Same link as before
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Legislating_for_Hate_Speech_and_Hate_Crime_in_Ireland_Report

https://www.garda.ie/en/crime/hate-crime/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

There are no rules against dogwhistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

paw patrol wrote: »
    I'm not defending these people.

But the "home" in the article question is the mansion house. That's like saying a protest at the Aras is at Micheal D's private residence. It's not the same.

It's a bit disingenuous to claim it's her home which would imply it's her private residence. If they protested at her actual home that would be terrible behaviour.

Is the mansion house out of bounds for protest? surely not,.

This building isn’t exactly Downing St. or the White House in terms of security. If people are going to make a habit of unruly protests there then things will have to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's amazing that it took this - a non-white Lord Mayor - for them to discover that the selection process for a ceremonial position, previously held by such luminaries as Maurice Ahern, Seán Haughey and Royston Fucking Brady (he rarely uses his middle name), has absolutely nothing to do with merit.

Plenty of people would not have known who was the current Mayor had she not been using her position to spout shite to a larger audience.

Brady was known in his time as he was somewhat similarly "unorthodox".

There are no rules against dogwhistles.

So nothing but unvaried claim's and excuses

Oh the suprise .

Indeed the Garda are saying report it. They don't actually say anyone will be tried for hate crimes. And they certainly don't point to any legislation under which hate crimes may tried under.

Yet the department of justice site explicitly say there are no laws specifically about are you saying the DOJ is wrong.

Think I'm going to take the DOJ as the authority here.

rusty cole wrote: »
    Shes as great at being a barrister as leo was a doctor..she spends as much time on twitter as him too, promoting division in the form of inclusion..****ing twitter has lots to answer for. At least years ago when the village idiot got up on their soap box, the rest of us could bring a rotten bag of fruit, throw it and make a day of it...job well done...now the village idiot is the emperor and she has new clothes every day....lovely hurling...

Man arguing on internet forum says people who are argue on twitter are the stupid ones.

You really can't make this stuff up.

All the most recent carded posts are for unfounded accusations of racism

That's not true and to be honest I think discussing moderation in thread is against the rules shouldn't that go to feedback.

That's not true and to be honest I think discussing moderation in thread is against the rules shouldn't that go to feedback.

You might be right and I will cheerfully retract and delete the last. I did not mean to breach rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's not right for her to feel unsafe in her home. She has a daughter and Husband to protect.

I have little time for her and I hope it's when it's a polling day that people voice their opinions on what she says.

But doing it outside her home? That's not right and her family serve to be protected.

It's not right for her to feel unsafe in her home. She has a daughter and Husband to protect.

I have little time for her and I hope it's when it's a polling day that people voice their opinions on what she says.

But doing it outside her home? That's not right and her family serve to be protected.

We don't get to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

RandRuns wrote: »
    I'd love if the media and the NGO Racism industry could publish a definition of "far right" so we could all be on the lookout for it.

When literally everything that the Irish Times and RTE don't agree with is far right, then it's hard to be vigilant, as it means every situation and coversation is rife with fascism.

The group's championing social justice, be it gender or racial, don't like dealing with specifics. They prefer to make it more ethereal with terms like systemic sexism/racism over saying x business has a direct hiring policy based on race or sex and seeing said business eventually go out of business due to the majority of us taking our money elsewhere. Chasing a boogeyman that exists everywhere and will forever without having to point out specifics allows them to be perpetually employed and given time by the public and government.

• Advertisement

We don't get to vote

Which we and what do they not get the vote on?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement