Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

Can a mod not change the title from 'home' to 'mansion house'? It's not her private home. It's deliberately misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Effects wrote: »
    Ah there was, people were ripping into her on Twitter over it.

Wasn't it deserved though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Sarcozies wrote: »
    The group's championing social justice, be it gender or racial, don't like dealing with specifics. They prefer to make it more ethereal with terms like systemic sexism/racism over saying x business has a direct hiring policy based on race or sex and seeing said business eventually go out of business due to the majority of us taking our money elsewhere. Chasing a boogeyman that exists everywhere and will forever without having to point out specifics allows them to be perpetually employed and given time by the public and government.

I'm not a group, I am an individual. Not a member of political party, action group or even a GAA Club and quite often when I ask direct questions im ignored on this thread.

I believe in gender and racial equality.
    Why shouldn't people of all genders and ethnicities be treated equal what could possibly be wrong with that. Go on give me one reason that is bad or wrong about all ethnicities and genders being treated equally?

Can a mod not change the title from 'home' to 'mansion house'? It's not her private home. It's deliberately misleading.

Is a home not the place where you reside with your family?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

We don't get to vote

You voted for councillors and they voted for a non-executive mayor who is their chairperson.

We don't vote directly for every single public office position, some of them are voted for by our representatives.

It's crazy that she's being harassed like that.

Ireland used to be able to take pride in the fact that there was a line in politics which we did not go i.e. below the belt, negative campaigning or harassing people at their place of residence.

If you have a problem with her politics or policies, she'll debate with you I'm sure. If you want to run against her as a councillor there's almost no challenge whatsoever in so doing. If you don't like the Greens, vote for someone else. You've umpteen options available.

What you don't get to do is attempt to bully someone out of office. That isn't democracy.

Whatever your political opinions might be this stuff is extremely nasty and unusual in an Irish context.

There are also genuinely constant references to her race and associating her with Chinese politics and all sorts of crazy stuff. She's Irish (and a Dub) as much as any of the rest of us.

• Advertisement

You voted for councillors and they voted for a non-executive mayor who is their chairperson.

We don't vote directly for every single public office position, some of them are voted for by our representatives.

It's crazy that she's being harassed like that.

Ireland used to be able to take pride in the fact that there was a line in politics which we did not go i.e. below the belt, negative campaigning or harassing people at their place of residence.

Whatever your political opinions might be this stuff is extremely nasty and unusual in an Irish context.

There are also genuinely constant references to her race and associating her with Chinese politics and all sorts of crazy stuff. She's Irish (and a Dub) as much as any of the rest of us.

I've always condemned racial abuse she received. I also condemn her for fanning racial flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Could be argued it's her work place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

She gets absolutely tons of abuse online and by the looks of it offline too.

Did you ever think for a moment that perhaps she has a totally different perspective on it to you, as you aren't on the receiving end of it and maybe she's a tad more sensitive to it, aware of it and trying to change things as a result of that?

Imagine being say a councillor in England who'd been born there and getting endless abuse on social media from people making racial slurs about you being Irish? Do you think you'd have a different perception to say your average comfortable Tory ? Maybe you might want to do something to highlight the situation or change it?

Try mentally walking in someone else's shoes for a while before writing off their concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

NO burka (or whatever its spelt) then no mask.
    both cannot be both right or both wrong.
    A lot of two faced rules

Gatling wrote: »
    Could be argued it's her work place

It could be argued indeed but if you wanted to argue that you would still have to agree it also meets the definition for a home too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

I'm not a group, I am an individual. Not a member of political party, action group or even a GAA Club and quite often when I ask direct questions im ignored on this thread.

I believe in gender and racial equality.
    Why shouldn't people of all genders and ethnicities be treated equal what could possibly be wrong with that. Go on give me one reason that is bad or wrong about all ethnicities and genders being treated equally?

Why don't pringles come in bags like all other crisp brands? Why do I have to get my fat sausages caught every time I get to the halfway mark and beyond? What could possibly be wrong with changing to a bag? Go on give me one reason that is bad or wrong about crisp manufacturers changing to a uniform packaging?

If you're confused about what that has anything to do with your comment, welcome aboard.

Why don't pringles come in bags like all other crisp brands? Why do I have to get my fat sausages caught every time I get to the halfway mark and beyond? What could possibly be wrong with changing to a bag? Go on give me one reason that is bad or wrong about crisp manufacturers changing to a uniform packaging?

If you're confused about what that has anything to do with your comment, welcome aboard.

So you have no reason not a single reason why equality on gender or ethnicities is a bad thing.

You couldn't throw in a token de tuk der jobs.

Wouldn't it be much easier to just admit that, than waffle on about how you are overweight and can't get your hand into a pringles tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

jelem wrote: »
    NO burka (or whatever its spelt) then no mask.
    both cannot be both right or both wrong.
    A lot of two faced rules

Well if you had two faces you could wear both a mask and a burka. One on each. Everyone happy. Problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Omackeral wrote: »
    The Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu has hit out at ongoing racism and intimidation after a group of far-right protestors showed up at her home and challenged her for wearing a face mask.

A female member of the protestors was arrested and later fined for breaching public health laws.

Link here.

What the f*ck is wrong with these people?

It wasnt her private residence home, it was the MANSION HOUSE, big difference.

Can a mod or Admin change the title to this Thread, its totally mis-leading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

So you have no reason not a single reason why equality on gender or ethnicities is a bad thing.

Wouldn't it be much easier to just admit that, than waffle on about how you are overweight and can't get your hand into a pringles tube.

Because, it's not equality when quotas are used to achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

kravmaga wrote: »
    It wasnt her private residence home, it was the MANSION HOUSE, big difference.

Can a mod or Admin change the title to this Thread, its totally mis-leading

I'd vote to change it too. Because it sidelines the discussion down a different path. People shouldn't be intimidating public officials. That is the issue here IMO. Having it saying it was her home just ends up in people arguing over that instead.

Because, it's not equality when quotas are used to achieve it.

Quotas are a different thing to equality.
    Please answer the question don't invent your own and present it.
    I never asked about quotas in fact I agree somewhat on gender or ethnicity based quotas being wrong but that is not the question I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Sarcozies

I'm happy that we live in the most equal society in the most equal time that has ever existed in the history of our kind. We have areas to improve and sexism and racism exists and where it exists needs eradication but I appose the current climate that allows publicly elected officials to claim a man wielding a knife after attacking and threatening various members of the public for hours was killed simply due to the colour of his skin with no evidence mere minutes after the event simply due to the fact that it involved white on black.

Ps I'm quite slender actually but have thick sausages for fingers. We exist. We may not have 200 NGOs behind us, but we exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Quotas are a different thing to equality.
    Please answer the question don't invent your own and present it.
    I never asked about quotas in fact I agree somewhat on gender or ethnicity based quotas being wrong but that is not the question I asked.

What are these inequalities you speak off?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

I'd vote to change it too. Because it sidelines the discussion down a different path. People shouldn't be intimidating public officials. That is the issue here IMO. Having it saying it was her home just ends up in people arguing over that instead.
    protest to gain standing and notice means going public even if " intimidating public officials".
    Any protest can be claimed as intimidating and danger to the public by politicians Whom want
    protest and notice\knowledge banned\hidden.
    If it is paid for by citizens then citizens entitled to be there.
    if owned private property then outside is public and free to protest.

• Advertisement

What are these inequalities you speak off?

I didn't speak of any. I don't think this is thread for that. Start a thread about inequalities and I'll join you there.

Never once heard anyone comment that people protested at Trump's home. :rolleyes:

Even the news/media reporting on this are calling it mansion house. It's a publicly owned building used by a mayor in their role. Home is trying to tug at heart strings, even though it was exposed as nonsense in the first page of the thread.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A couple of posts deleted

Do not make unsubstantiated claims of illegal activity

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You say.

Where would you draw the line? Harassment, victimisation, assault, property damage, murder?

A failure by the authorities and indeed society to nip this stuff in the bud, would be repeating a mistake seen in places all over the World, all through history. I don't want to see a situation where we have to look back after a watershed event (think Veronica Guerin and organised crime and drug gangs) and say why wasn't more done sooner?

I've had to nip this crap in the bud numerous times on this site so here we go, yet again.

One political party in Ireland fits the description of far right; The National Party. In last years General election they received 0.2% of the ballots cast nationally which equated to a total of 4773 votes.

The National Party holds occasional rallies outside Leinster House, which are typically augmented by people from other loosely affiliated organisations which typically brings their numbers up to literally dozens of people. The only way they ever make the new is when their far left counterparts turn up to throw things at them.

We do not a a burgeoning far right in this country, we have a tiny, nay miniscule number of morons wishing they could play out the socio political nonsense of other jurisdictions here in Ireland. It isn't happening.

Any time someone appears on this site spouting this "the far right are on the verge of x y or z" type nonsense, they need to be reminded of the reality of the situation.

And as for your solution, engaging in violence against these people. You need to take a long hard look in the mirror and think hard about what it is you want our society to be before you start grandstanding and taking the moral high ground whilst you propose vigilante justice.

Cop on.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Oh I totally agree, public officials should not be intimidated in any way shape or form.

The rule of law must take precedent at all times otherwise we would have anarchy

I'm happy that we live in the most equal society in the most equal time that has ever existed in the history of our kind. We have areas to improve and sexism and racism exists and where it exists needs eradication but I appose the current climate that allows publicly elected officials to claim a man wielding a knife after attacking and threatening various members of the public for hours was killed simply due to the colour of his skin with no evidence mere minutes after the event simply due to the fact that it involved white on black.

Ps I'm quite slender actually but have thick sausages for fingers. We exist. We may not have 200 NGOs behind us, but we exist.

Thats good to know you agree equality is a goal to strive for.

I don't agree with hazels comments on the knife incident. I haven't said a single thing in defence of them. But this thread has nothing to do with that incident or Hazels response.

But to answer you while I might not agree with Hazel on the knife incident I will defend her right to talk about it as she wishes on twitter so long as she is not abusing any individual on racial gender religion etc grounds.

Go to the soccer forum and read some of the over the top comments from people there about tackles or incidents. They get very agitated and discuss the incident using much hyperbole but no crimes or abuse is committed and they have the right to speakk as they wish just like Hazel has on the incident.
    I dont really use twitter for many years because it is a cesspit of nonsense from all sides on all topics. But I'm sure I wouldn't be very long searching for actual racist and hate filled posts about people on ethnic lines regarding the incident. So in the grand scheme of things Hazel getting her knickers in a twist and wrongly calling the Garda racist is probably the least worst thing I will find if I really go looking at twitter on the balbriggan knife incident.

Never once heard anyone comment that people protested at Trump's home. :rolleyes:

Even the news/media reporting on this are calling it mansion house. It's a publicly owned building used by a mayor in their role. Home is trying to tug at heart strings, even though it was exposed as nonsense in the first page of the thread.

You have also never read a single comment by me on anything to do with protests at the Whitehouse. Not a single post. Please direct your outrage where it belongs.

She gets absolutely tons of abuse online and by the looks of it offline too.

Did you ever think for a moment that perhaps she has a totally different perspective on it to you, as you aren't on the receiving end of it and maybe she's a tad more sensitive to it, aware of it and trying to change things as a result of that?

Imagine being say a councillor in England who'd been born there and getting endless abuse on social media from people making racial slurs about you being Irish? Do you think you'd have a different perception to say your average comfortable Tory ? Maybe you might want to do something to highlight the situation or change it?

Try mentally walking in someone else's shoes for a while before writing off their concerns.

How about no.

I know as much about walking in their shoes as they do about walking in mine.

I'm on the recieving end of various different slurs yet I don't make it define who I am.

Ginger people get abuse, fat people get abuse, people with glasses get abuse, skinny people get abuse, ugly people get abuse, overtly pretty people get abuse.

You are who you are, people will always abuse you for how you look and for things you can't change.

If you make your race your defining characteristic, don't be surprised when people comment on it.

You have also never read a single comment by me on anything to do with protests at the Whitehouse. Not a single post. Please direct your outrage where it belongs.

I've no interest in your posts about the white house. What are you on about? :confused:

I've said before, the post title is wrong, and should be changed. It's presented to make the protestors look bad from the word go, by being manipulative.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Indeed the Garda are saying report it. They don't actually say anyone will be tried for hate crimes. And they certainly don't point to any legislation under which hate crimes may tried under.

Yet the department of justice site explicitly say there are no laws specifically about are you saying the DOJ is wrong.

Think I'm going to take the DOJ as the authority here.

Why would the Gardai encourage you to report something they can’t charge someone with??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement