Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

A woman I used to do dog-sitting for as a teenager has gone off the deep end with this kind of conspiracy stuff in the last few years. She has accosted shop workers in our home town in the street, screaming at them for the signs they have up in the shops they work in asking for people to wear masks. She’s also been permanently banned from Facebook. This was a woman who was totally normal when I was dealing with her twenty years ago.

That's how online radicalisation happens unfortunately.

If you put someone into a bubble where they are fed with information and opinion that is supported by everyone in that group, it quickly becomes their reality. The narrative and messages are just affirmed and reaffirmed and anyone who is off-message is excluded or ignored.

It's exactly the same process that goes on in the formation of a cult, except that it is virutalised and online.

Our brains are hardwired to make efficient use of the collective processing power of everyone else's brain. To save having to analyse everything individually, we take a survey of the opinions of those around us and go with the flow. Normally that is a fairly successful strategy as those populations are normally made of people with differing opinions and things balance out.

On the internet, you don't need any of that balance as the group will attract people from a huge global population who all have the same narrow set of beliefs and opinions. So, before long you've a hardcore group that has its own reality.

That woman's reality is some group online. It's no longer the community she actually lives in, with its balance of opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Smart woman using the current environment to her advantage, could also call her a cnut for doing this but she will have a long successful career.

Also I think she's hot

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

biko wrote: »
    Is anti-maskers far right now?
    Sure Sweden were anti-mask for a long time. Many there are still not using masks.

Stupid question

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

IMO

Anti maskers are the same as all the other conspiracy nuts, a need to blame an outside force for the state of their unhappy lives and a need to feel 'smart' as they 'know' more than the rest of society as a means to cover their intellectual insecurities.

Some people with mental health issues can also become obsessed with a 'big brother is watching' feeling and can get caught up with conspiracies.

And then there are the lads who make videos/content to make money of conspiracies

JJayoo wrote: »
    IMO

Anti maskers are the same as all the other conspiracy nuts, a need to blame an outside force for the state of their unhappy lives and a need to feel 'smart' as they 'know' more than the rest of society as a means to cover their intellectual insecurities.

Some people with mental health issues can also become obsessed with a 'big brother is watching' feeling and can get caught up with conspiracies.

And then there are the lads who make videos/content to make money of conspiracies

Would you also count antifa as conspiracy nuts? Honest question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

IMO

Spot on. I think it stems from a lack of intellect in many respects. Maybe intellect is the wrong word but the inability to do proper research.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

IMO

You're blaming an outside force and questioning their intellectual insecurities.

I bet you're feeling smart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

IMO

Meanwhile the left who see constant “isms” everywhere they look are normal, well adjusted people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

A woman I used to do dog-sitting for as a teenager has gone off the deep end with this kind of conspiracy stuff in the last few years. She has accosted shop workers in our home town in the street, screaming at them for the signs they have up in the shops they work in asking for people to wear masks. She’s also been permanently banned from Facebook. This was a woman who was totally normal when I was dealing with her twenty years ago.

You could say that, over the years since you stopped dogsitting, she's gone barking mad. I hope you feel partly responsible. She's clearly gone Aunty Muzzle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

IMO

I don't wear a mask because they don't do anything and I don't give a sh1t what other people say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

That's how online radicalisation happens unfortunately.

If you put someone into a bubble where they are fed with information and opinion that is supported by everyone in that group, it quickly becomes their reality. The narrative and messages are just affirmed and reaffirmed and anyone who is off-message is excluded or ignored.

It's exactly the same process that goes on in the formation of a cult, except that it is virutalised and online.

Our brains are hardwired to make efficient use of the collective processing power of everyone else's brain. To save having to analyse everything individually, we take a survey of the opinions of those around us and go with the flow. Normally that is a fairly successful strategy as those populations are normally made of people with differing opinions and things balance out.

On the internet, you don't need any of that balance as the group will attract people from a huge global population who all have the same narrow set of beliefs and opinions. So, before long you've a hardcore group that has its own reality.

That woman's reality is some group online. It's no longer the community she actually lives in, with its balance of opinions.

Sounds just like how a sweet 12 year old girl is radicalised over a few months into a 13 year old teenage monster :D

Are you OK?

The very first line of your reply to me was to say something something about trumps home (formerly the white House).

Are you suggesting that anti mask protesters outside the home(mansion House) of the Lord mayor of Dublin had a valid point to begin with?

I probably read your post wrongly! I apologise.

Nonetheless, whatever their reason for protesting, whether it was because of an issue with her doing something, or even if it was racially motivated, the use of the word home is my issue. That is not her home. It's a public building, and she's allowed the use of it whilst in her position to serve the public.

The use of the word home is to deliberately give the impression that a load of protestors turned up to her own personal house, perhaps in a house estate somewhere, and went out of their way to find out where she lived and target her in a very personal manner, beyond what is deemed acceptable.. this was not that.

This was a protest at a public building.

The argument put forward that it's her home is disingenuous, and the nearest, relatable example is Trump and the White house, or Borris at Downing Street, of which there have been many, many protests over the years, but no one considers those places the 'home' of the person. Because it's not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

I absolutely cannot stand Hazel Chu. Her knee jerk comments about the shooting were unhelpful.

That being said, going to her house and harassing her and her family is completely not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So I may have missed something but I heard her on Matt cooper and she kept stating that people are racist against her and the colour of her skin....
    She is white? Isn't she?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

All this off topic nonsense about masks doesn't belong here. Feel free to bring your thoughts to the Covid forum on this. Back on topic now folks, I have removed all posts in relation to the off topic discussion

The shape shifting thing sounds absolutely barmy from a distance, but it's not random gibberish. It's a Q Anon offshoot - the belief that at the heart of everything, world leaders are part of a non-human conspiracy ring, the Draconians, and that you can catch them out by recording them and looking through the frames for moments their disguise slips (eg eyes change colour). It's basically a repackaged David Icke idea, but reworked to fit into Q Anon's general weird nationalist strongman ARG stuff.

The fact it sounds laughable is distracting, it's a particularly dangerous frame of mind because if the person you hate isn't human - and poses a threat to real human children - nothing you do to them can be wrong. It is a particularly appealing kind of crankery for clinically paranoid "lone wolves"

There have been a number of murders and a bombing associated with it.

The type of people who subscribe to this stuff are mentally ill. Nothing wrong with that necessarily. In a bygone era they would be the most devout Catholics in the parish. I'm saying if it wasn't this then it would be something else to latch on to. The ideology is just another outlet for them.

So I may have missed something but I heard her on Matt cooper and she kept stating that people are racist against her and the colour of her skin....
    She is white? Isn't she?

All the media are terrified of pulling her up on anything because they afraid they will be the person to have the grim reaper of racism tap them on the shoulder and say "You're next"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I absolutely cannot stand Hazel Chu. Her knee jerk comments about the shooting were unhelpful.

That being said, going to her house and harassing her and her family is completely not on.

Agreed. There is no excuse for infringing on a politician’s personal sphere like that.

Chu typifies the current breed of low caliber public representative in Ireland. Her role in stoking the flames in the George Nkencho incident was disgraceful.

However, harassment should not be tolerated. The best way to sink Chu’s political career is to simply ignore her. Let her bleating disappear into a vacuum. She doesn’t appear to be particularly bright or self-aware. She would quickly return to the obscurity, in which she belongs, without the platform that attention of this nature provides her.

All the media are terrified of pulling her up on anything because they afraid they will be the person to have the grim reaper of racism tap them on the shoulder and say "You're next"

The power of the ‘racism’ epithet will diminish over time. As people face the cold, hard economic realities of the recession we are facing, tolerance for Chu and her ilk will evaporate rapidly.

What I find most astonishing about her, is how such an unappealing personality achieves a platform at all. The overall package she presents is entirely lacking in charisma and just basic likability. Her inevitable return to obscurity will be no loss to public life in Ireland.

Hamachi wrote: »
    The power of the ‘racism’ epithet will diminish over time. As people face the cold, hard economic realities of the recession we are facing, tolerance for Chu and her ilk will evaporate rapidly.

What I find most astonishing about her, is how such an unappealing personality achieves a platform at all. The overall package she presents is entirely lacking in charisma and just basic likability. Her inevitable return to obscurity will be no loss to public life in Ireland.

My brother in law is from Sri Lanka, and when asked where he’s from always says “Germany, but I was born in Sri Lanka”.

Has experienced some racism - there are hardcore lunatics out there - but being asked where you come from is not example of this. He’s had way more homophobia than racism - but thankfully rarely from our people here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No , the media themselves up to their necks in the culture of race baiting and are key cheerleaders for the new "hate speech " legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

She's a ridiculous person, completely over promoted

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Yeah the Tweet of hers that annoyed me the most is when she was angry at being contacted outside of working hours by people in her area. I had always thought that was part and parcel of a councillers work. Her response of "email me instead" displayed a lack of consideration for older constituents.

I know ours are brilliant at responding for the most part and I do get how it may be annoying but it comes with the territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,590 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

No matter if you like her or not, nor agree with her politics or not.

She’s a non white Irish person who is being consistently racially abused.

While people who say this is a non issue are feeding the problem because it gives space to those who have racist tendencies.

We’re far from Dublin here so I know nothing about her politics nor political abilities, in fairness they aren’t relevant to the fact that she’s being racially abused. I see her stuff on Twitter and she always seems to be speaking out about homelessness and other needy causes, I’d have thought that was a good thing.

_Brian wrote: »

While people who say this is a non issue are feeding the problem because it gives space to those who have racist tendencies.

We’re far from Dublin here so I know nothing about her politics nor political abilities, in fairness they aren’t relevant to the fact that she’s being racially abused. I see her stuff on Twitter and she always seems to be speaking out about homelessness and other needy causes, I’d have thought that was a good thing.

I literally could not disagree with you more.

You are the one stoking divisions there and the sad thing is you believe you are helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don't think that is the largest factor, its just one of the lines of attacks for morons. Increasingly people seem to think that public figure equals free to abuse, politicians get alot of abuse.

I am sure the majority of well known TDs get alot more abuse (which doesn't make any of it right). Just look at Twitter and type Leo Varadker. Even the often bandied term "West Brit" has connotations.

Harris was called all sorts as Minister for Health.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She’s a non white Irish person

I suppose "Well educated member of the bourgeois ruling class in a position of power and influence" doesn't have quite the same ring to it

She willfully plays the race card at every opportunity. Her role in fanning the flames during the George Nkencho affair was at best insensitive and at worst, downright dangerous.

The Gardai played a blinder in keeping the West Dublin community safe from a violent, aggressive perpetrator. Her instinctive response in accusing the Gardai of racism was appalling. Doubling-down on her narrative when she was clearly wrong, exposed her one-dimensional mindset and eroded whatever credibility she had left.

I agree that she does not deserve to be racially abused. However, she’s not fit for public life and really should stand down if she had any self-awareness. That won’t happen though, meaning the right path forward is depriving her of the oxygen of attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

I suppose "Well educated member of the bourgeois ruling class in a position of power and influence" doesn't have quite the same ring to it

Her parents worked in restaurants and owned a chip van, hardly born into the bourgeois ruling class

• Advertisement

Her parents worked in restaurants and owned a chip van, hardly born into the bourgeois ruling class

Nor is she an agent less, non-white victim. She was a few years ahead of me in UCD. She’s had the same opportunities as anybody else born in Ireland.

She should be ashamed of herself castigating the Irish people for racism, when this country has provided her with significant opportunity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement