Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Her parents worked in restaurants and owned a chip van, hardly born into the bourgeois ruling class

Owned restaurants. Owned. She’s hardly working class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Her parents worked in restaurants and owned a chip van, hardly born into the bourgeois ruling class

is she not a trained barrister who had been working in the non for profit sector ?

bourgeoise as you can get really .

I wonder who paid for kings inns ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

mynamejeff wrote: »
    is she not a trained barrister who had been working in the non for profit sector ?

bourgeoise as you can get really .

I wonder who paid for kings inns ?

Given the failed asylum seeker who is currently doing a free PhD in some sort of grievance studies - I’d say either a grant from some sort of NGO or the rich parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

She attended 3 different private fee paying schools in Dublin. Three.

Nothing wrong with that btw but it's interesting the way people choose to frame things.

Her mother had 4 restaurants and 100 employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Owned restaurants. Owned. She’s hardly working class.

Started working in restaurants, then owned a chip van, then owned restaurants. Still hardly bourgeois

Nothing wrong with that btw but it's interesting the way people choose to frame things.

That’s the exact point there!!

Nothing at all wrong with having a few quid but it’s the faux working class act annoys me.

Boyd-Barrett is example number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Public school up to 3rd year. It is interesting how people frame things

That’s the exact point there!!

Nothing at all wrong with having a few quid but it’s the faux working class act annoys me.

Boyd-Barrett is example number one.
    I dont think she claims to be working class but certainly seeks the cache of being "oppressed". You can add Paul Murphy to that list though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,590 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m really enjoying all the back talk about why it’s somehow ok that she’s a target for online racist abuse.

So far
    It’s my fault
    She’s a rubbish politician
    She was rich
    She’s poor
    Her mother had 4 restaurants
    She went to private school
    She defends against the abuse

Maybe I missed something but it’s the saddest list of rubbish I’ve seen in a long time.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m really enjoying all the back talk about why it’s somehow ok that she’s a target for online racist abuse.

So far
    It’s my fault
    She was rich
    She’s poor

Maybe I missed something but it’s the saddest list of rubbish I’ve seen in a long time.

Can you show where any of that has been used as a justification for racial abuse ?

Literally no one said that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

You can of course point to instances where posters have justified online racial abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

100% wrong that she's suffered at the hands of racists and anyone involved should face charges.

She said she'll be talking to twitter representatives about the online abuse and so she should but she hasn't a clean record there herself.

This tweet remains undeleted by her

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1331260464853037058?s=19

Hamachi wrote: »
    Nor is she an agent less, non-white victim. She was a few years ahead of me in UCD. She’s had the same opportunities as anybody else born in Ireland.

She should be ashamed of herself castigating the Irish people for racism, when this country has provided her with significant opportunity.

The only people I've seen demanding for her to be removed from office are those with extreme views. Often the same type of people who target her on social media for abuse. The abuse was occurring before she had even entered office by racists such as Gemma O'Doherty and Justin Barrett. They led plenty of others who did the same. But she shouldn't talk about the issue of racism when she's been the target of plenty of it?
    You can of course point to instances where posters have justified online racial abuse?

In fairness, you're outraged that she's even discussing the issue of racism in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

No matter if you like her or not, nor agree with her politics or not.

She’s a non white Irish person who is being consistently racially abused.

While people who say this is a non issue are feeding the problem because it gives space to those who have racist tendencies.

We’re far from Dublin here so I know nothing about her politics nor political abilities, in fairness they aren’t relevant to the fact that she’s being racially abused. I see her stuff on Twitter and she always seems to be speaking out about homelessness and other needy causes, I’d have thought that was a good thing.

Non white ???
    She is whiter than her husband
    The only USP she has is the Asian eyes, apart from them you would not the difference

The only people I've seen demanding for her to be removed from office are those with extreme views. Often the same type of people who target her on social media for abuse. The abuse was occurring before she had even entered office by racists such as Gemma O'Doherty and Justin Barrett. They led plenty of others who did the same. But she shouldn't talk about the issue of racism when she's been the target of plenty of it?

I don’t have extreme views.

I’ve voted both Sinn Fein and Fine Gael, and Green once.

She seems unfit for high public office and her race baiting tweets around the shooting are just a small indication of that.

Public school up to 3rd year. It is interesting how people frame things

It is, isn’t it. Like I said, Chu went to UCD, had parity of opportunity with all Irish-born people.

She wasn’t born with a silver spoon in her mouth. Nor is she an agent less non-white victim, oppressed by a virulently racist society.

As always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

In fairness, you're outraged that she's even discussing the issue of racism in Ireland...

She’s stoking the issue of racism in Ireland for her political ends.

A Dub Ebun Joseph if you will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

well to be fair I never heard of her much before she choose to back racist rioters rather than the national police force , next I hear she is lashing out the race card because some one nuts said something nutty to her with no racial element what so ever.

she comes across as petulant childish self serving and populist and totally unsuitable to the job of Lord mayor ,

now am I allowed to call for her removal or does that make me racist ?

• Advertisement

She seems unfit for high public office and her race baiting tweets around the shooting are just a small indication of that.

Do you think there's an issue of her being subject to large amounts of racist abuse since before she even entered office?

Is this the "race baiting" about the shooting? If not, can you point to it? Thanks.

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1344367123464925187?s=19

Outraged? I’m not the least perturbed by Hazel Chu. She’s simply a low caliber public representative, who has repeatedly proven herself unfit for office, exemplified by her critique of the George Nkencho incident.

The fact that she trades on and makes political capital of her ethnicity is entirely of her own doing. Like I said, she doesn’t deserve the abuse she receives, but nor is she an appropriate public representative. Depriving her of the oxygen of attention is the right path forward.

Outraged? I’m not the least perturbed by Hazel Chu. She’s simply a low caliber public representative, who has repeatedly proven herself unfit for office, exemplified by her critique of the George Nkencho incident.

The fact that she trades on and makes political capital of her ethnicity is entirely of her own doing. Like I said, she doesn’t deserve the abuse she receives, but nor is she an appropriate public representative. Depriving her of the oxygen of attention is the right path forward.

Can you point to her "race baiting" around the shooting? Thanks. It's also not of her own doing that the likes of Gemma O'Doherty and Barrett and many others targeted her as they did. You're not seeming very moderate so far.

Do you think there's an issue of her being subject to large amounts of racist abuse since before she even entered office?

Is this the "race baiting" about the shooting? If not, can you point to it? Thanks.

https://twitter.com/hazechu/status/1344367123464925187?s=19

If you can find that you can find the others. I’m not a secretary.

If you can find that you can find the others. I’m not a secretary.

You and others are claiming she's race baiting over the shooting. The burden of proof is on you.

You and others are claiming she's race baiting over the shooting. The burden of proof is on you.

Burden of proof ?? Off the stage eh Perry Mason!!

Can you point to her "race baiting" around the shooting? Thanks. It's also not of her own doing that the likes of Gemma O'Doherty and Barrett and many others targeted her as they did. You're not seeming very moderate so far.

Supporting an angry mob, hurling racist abuse at customers locked inside Hartstown Eurospar isn’t race baiting? Fair enough..

Not sure where you’re going trying to escalate the conversation with you’re ‘moderate’ comment, but it’s certainly revealing of the way you plan to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Her mother had 4 restaurants and 100 employees.
    This is the capitalist dream. Start small, work hard and work smart - one day you are the owner.
    Then of course others begrudge your accomplishments.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

So far
    It’s my fault
    She was rich
    She’s poor

Imagine thanking this post despite the fact what’s claimed here hasn’t happened at all on this thread. I’d be embarrassed about having my name attached to that but they certainly won’t be. Deluded and divisive as per.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some people would say Greens and SF are extreme.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement