Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Hamachi wrote: »

She wasn’t born with a silver spoon in her mouth. Nor is she an agent less non-white victim, oppressed by a virulently racist society.

As always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Go and look at the racist comments directed at her twitter as far back as her 2019 local election campaign and tell me she's imagining it all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

biko wrote: »
    Some people would say Greens and SF are extreme.

Possibly so! Both candidates at the time were excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is the capitalist dream. Start small, work hard and work smart - one day you are the owner.
    Then of course others begrudge your accomplishments.

Who is begrudging?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Her continuous description of herself as "a woman of colour" and her appropriation of others' marginalisation really sticks in my craw. As if she has a shred of commonality with the minimum wage black or migrant Latina workers of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

She’s stoking the issue of racism in Ireland for her political ends.

A Dub Ebun Joseph if you will.

I wouldn’t put her in the same league as Ebun Joseph. Definitely not. If we’re gonna do nuance, fairness and stay away from hyperbole then it’s only fair that we show it always. I don’t believe Hazel Chu is full of hatred like the good doctor is but she still can call some very bad shots for definite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

This is the capitalist dream. Start small, work hard and work smart - one day you are the owner.
    Then of course others begrudge your accomplishments.

Who is begrudging that her parents are successful

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Omackeral wrote: »
    I wouldn’t put her in the same league as Ebun Joseph. Definitely not. If we’re gonna do nuance, fairness and stay away from hyperbole then it’s only fair that we show it always. I don’t believe Hazel Chu is full of hatred like the good doctor is but she still can call some very bad shots for definite.

Agreed now I think on yes! EJ is pure bile and spite and though I disagree with HC and done believe her suitable for the role she doesn’t seem too bad a sort overall.

You and others are claiming she's race baiting over the shooting. The burden of proof is on you.

I would hope they do just that.

You yourself thanked this beauty on the last page and it was challenged;
    You can of course point to instances where posters have justified online racial abuse?

Would you provide proof for same if that’s the direction you’re taking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Go and look at the racist comments directed at her twitter as far back as her 2019 local election campaign and tell me she's imagining it all

Did I say it was a figment of her imagination? I’m sure she does receive some racial abuse from a small cohort of basket cases on Twitter.

I’m judging her on her dangerous intervention in the George Nkencho event, her puerile statements on dress codes in the Carlow school, and her baseless assertions that Irish society is virulently racist, despite her own career trajectory proving that to be a groundless accusation.

She’s simply not fit for office and should be deprived of the oxygen of attention.

sabat wrote: »
    Her continuous description of herself as "a woman of colour" and her appropriation of others' marginalisation really sticks in my craw.

That divisive term in general needs to stay on the other side of the Atlantic. It’s an absolute virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/woman-arrested-after-dublin-lord-mayor-harassed-and-racially-abused-1.4465362
    Woman arrested after Dublin Lord Mayor harassed and racially abused
    The headline makes out that a woman racially abused Chu at the time, but there is no evidence of that.

The headline makes out that protesters racially abused Chu at the time, but there is no evidence of that.

There seems to be active conflation between protesting and being racist, unless you're BLM - then you can be racist and right at the same time.

I'm sure she's not imaging it. Twitter is a cesspool and AWS need to shut them down.

However there is no evidence this particular demo was racist or even right-wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't believe this thread.

CHU gets harassed at her home racially abused by people who are clearly some of the nastiest and dumbest people in the country and its post after post giving out about CHU.

This comes JUST DAYS after the SAME type of people stormed capitol hill in the States killing 5 people.

Unbeleivable.

Its ONLY a matter of time before gemma and her looney's really hurt someone...or worse.

I'm sure she's not imaging it. Twitter is a cesspool and AWS need to shut them down.

However there is no evidence this particular demo was racist or even right-wing.

Yes there is.

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-lord-mayor-hazel-chu-harassed-protesters-5332576-Jan2021/

No, there isn't.
    Did you read the article?
    The author Gráinne Ní Aodha names the protestors "far-right" but there is nothing to support that statement in the article.

There is nothing said or done by the protestors to identify them politically. But author Gráinne Ní Aodha don't care - if you disagree with Chu you are far-right whether it's true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/woman-arrested-after-dublin-lord-mayor-harassed-and-racially-abused-1.4465362

The headline makes out that a woman racially abused Chu at the time, but there is no evidence of that.

The headline makes out that protesters racially abused Chu at the time, but there is no evidence of that.

There seems to be active conflation between protesting and being racist, unless you're BLM - then you can be racist and right at the same time.

Would it be racist against dragons I wonder?

Thing was she knew the protestors were showing up at 11.00 and decided to go out to talk to Gardai! Does she not a mobile or staff who could do that for her?

One person put out their hand out and Ms Chu responded she could not shake it because of Covid-19.

“And then the other people with her started talking about how the mask I was wearing was to protect just me and not them and that people were suffering wearing masks,” she said.

“And as I was approaching the step one of them shouted ‘when you turn into a shapeshifting dragon we will catch it on camera.’”

And then claim protestors were there because they didn't like the "look' of her wtf?

Thing is simply she is feeding off the media attention. But she gets upset with nutty protesters. Time to change job probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Did I say it was a figment of her imagination? I’m sure she does receive some racial abuse from a small cohort of basket cases on Twitter.

I’m judging her on her dangerous intervention in the George Nkencho event, her puerile statements on dress codes in the Carlow school, and her baseless assertions that Irish society is virulently racist, despite her own career trajectory proving that to be a groundless accusation.

She’s simply not fit for office and should be deprived of the oxygen of attention.

Says he continuing to post in a thread 550 posts in about Mrs Chu

If you don't want to give her attention then stop doing it. Stop clicking link and reading articles about her, stop posting here about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

CHU gets harassed at her home racially abused by people who are clearly some of the nastiest and dumbest people in the country and its post after post giving out about CHU.

This comes JUST DAYS after the SAME type of people stormed capitol hill in the States killing 5 people.

Unbeleivable.

Its ONLY a matter of time before gemma and her looney's really hurt someone...or worse.

Its not her home, she has a gaf that she calls her home, the Mansion House is a public building, and were is the video of her being racially abused

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Says he continuing to post in a thread 550 posts in about Mrs Chu

If you don't want to give her attention then stop doing it. Stop clicking link and reading articles about her, stop posting here about.

I’m just killing time while my young kids are having a lie-in on Sunday morning. I’m hardly writing a front page press release for Chu in the New York Times..

Boards is a public forum. I’ll continue to use it to entertain myself and critique the poor performance of elected representatives if I see fit.

Its not her home, she has a gaf that she calls her home, the Mansion House is a public building, and were is the video of her being racially abused

Its mad how a single 4 letter word. which is often used to designate the place a person normally resides with their family is the cause of so much anger in this thread.

For the period of Mrs Chu's service as Lord Mayor of Dublin City the Mansion house become her and her family home.

You might not like that description but it is non the less a valid description and use of the word home.

Do you have any particular reason for your hatred of the word home in this case. You can equally refer to the mansion house by its name but that will not negate the fact that this is her home for the period she is Lord Mayor of Dublin.
    Such a silly thing to get yourself upset about.

• Advertisement

No, there isn't.
    Did you read the article?
    The author Gráinne Ní Aodha names the protestors "far-right" but there is nothing to support that statement in the article.

There is nothing said or done by the protestors to identify them politically. But author Gráinne Ní Aodha don't care - if you disagree with Chu you are far-right whether it's true or not.

Who has been leading the anti lockdown and anti mask protests?

The left? Or is it gemma o' doherty and the nationalist party?

Of COURSE its the far right ...

To be anti the nanny state ..IS a far right policy. To throw racist abuse ...is a far right belief and tactic.

Its not the only paper to SAY they were far right.

Harassing a politician outside their house is not ok.

EVERY SINGLE PAPER has identified them as FAR RIGHT

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40211837.html

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hazel-chu-harassed-at-home-by-far-right-protestors-1068629.html

RTE

Our state broadcaster has identified them as FAR RIGHT

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2021/0122/1191430-hazel-chu/

Hazel Chu has said they were far right.

No one ..especially politicians should be abused at their homes.

We must stamp down HARD on this.

I think simply calling it her home and not the Mansion House paints a picture of being picketed and door stepped in suburbia. It’s not really the case. Technically, calling it her home is true but it’s a little misleading, whether that’s intentional or not.

The Mansion house is a home like Áras an Uachtaráin is a home, or Number 10 is a home.

I think simply calling it her home and not the Mansion House paints a picture of being picketed and door stepped in suburbia. It’s not really the case. Technically, calling it her home is true but it’s a little misleading, whether that’s intentional or not.

Ah technically correct the best kind of correct!

Dublin Lord Mayor Hazel Chu has said she was subjected to racist abuse outside her home in the Mansion House yesterday.
    Even in this article Chu doesn't specify that anything racist or political actually happened.
    But she refers to some earlier occasion (years ago?) where someone called her daughter a "mongrel".

I agree it could give that interpretation if you did not know the lord mayor of Dublin resides in the mansion house during their term and is a perfect example of why people should base their opinions on much more than just simple headlines and read the accompanying article and look for facts to corroborate the headline before jumping to any preconceived notions they may have.

It is still at present her home though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ah technically correct the best kind of correct!

Let's face it. Protests outside the Mansion house are nothing new.

Plenty of Lord Mayors have lived there and here's been plenty of demonstrations over the years

From the report no one hurled any racial abuse during the protest.

What we do know is that Ms Chu decided to "talk to gardai' during said protest - when people started talking to her ...

Then she claimed that was upset and the protesters were there because they didn't like the 'look' of her or wtte

She probably needs to change job imho ...

Even in this article Chu doesn't specify that anything racist or political actually happened.
    But she refers to some earlier occasion (years ago?) where someone called her daughter a "mongrel".

Biko not to be smart but for someone who is arguing on one post about misinterpretation of a headline I don't think you are being fair to Mrs Chu. No where in that article do I see any comments attributed to Mrs Chu where she says the protest was racist. The racism is being infered by the journalist not by any direct quotes of Mrs Chu.

At least in that article linked.

Chu's home
    1896051375_c79ee5fde0.jpg
    caption.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Unbeleivable.

One protester was shot dead by security; four people died of pre-existing conditions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement