Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,098 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Honestly I find it very very disturbing that people think that tweet shouldnt be reported to Gardai.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Honestly I find it very very disturbing that people think that tweet shouldnt be reported to Gardai.

Honestly, that's not surprising Joey.

But tell me, what was illegal about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Chu is very pro-immigrant, and anti-deportation. It was in relation to a sexual assault by an asylum seeker that happened on the Luas that went through the courts last week. He got 2 years in prison for it, with 15 months suspended, so he'll do 3 months.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/man-who-sexually-assaulted-woman-on-luas-tram-is-jailed-1.4462379
    That clarifies the tweet. Still disgusting tweet and even more disgusting behaviour of the asylum seeker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

You might be surprised to hear, but the legality of things isn't usually decided by randomers on boards.ie

Thats upto the Gardai to determine.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

You might be surprised to hear, but the legality of things isn't usually decided by randomers on boards.ie

I know. Thankfully.

But if I was reporting something to the police, I would only do so if I thought something was illegal or if there was something the police could do about it.

I was asking the poster what he thought was illegal about the tweet or what he thinks the police could do.

Otherwise it would be wasting police time surely?

Thats upto the Gardai to determine.

But.... You KNOW it's not illegal?!?!

I know. Thankfully.

But if I was reporting something to the police, I would only do so if I thought something was illegal or if there was something the police could do about it.

I was asking the poster what he thought was illegal about the tweet or what he thinks the police could do.

Otherwise it would be wasting police time surely?
    So are you suggesting that if a person's house is broken into, they need to contact the Gardaí and specifically state that they believe an offence pursuant to section 12 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act 2001 has occurred?

Or, hear me out on this, is it more likely that a person reports something they suspect might be illegal to the Gardaí whose job it is to investigate that report?

But.... You KNOW it's not illegal?!?!

Haha hilarious

Terry Pratchet

So are you suggesting that if a person's house is broken into, they need to contact the Gardaí and specifically state that they believe an offence pursuant to section 12 of the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act 2001?

Or, hear me out on this, is it more likely that a person reports something they suspect might be illegal to the Gardaí whose job it is to investigate that report?

Erm, if someone broke into my house, I would KNOW a crime had taken place and I would report it to the police.

What a bizarre comment and example. It actually reinforces my point actually.

What do you or Joey suspect is illegal about the tweet which would warrant it worthy of being referred to the police for them to investigate?

• Advertisement

Erm, if someone broke into my house, I would KNOW a crime had taken place and I would report it to the police.

What a bizarre comment and example. It actually reinforces my point actually.

What do you or Joey suspect is illegal about the tweet which would warrant it worthy of being referred to the police for them to investigate?
    You seem to be missing the point here - it's not relevant that the reporting person knows exactly whether something is illegal or not, it's the job of AGS to determine whether they believe that to be the case and to pursue it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

You seem to be missing the point here - it's not relevant that the reporting person knows exactly whether something is illegal or not, it's the job of AGS to determine whether they believe that to be the case and to pursue it further.

Report it so, let us know how you get on

WrenBoy wrote: »

Im sure if you were that concerned you could ask Hazel

Terry Pratchet

Why would I do that? It has already been reported apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Im sure if you were that concerned you could ask Hazel

:rolleyes: Oh my days...
    Is the (crime) issue, what was said or who it was said to ?

My point is, you would need to have a reason to suspect it was illegal.

I was asking Joey what he suspects is illegal about the tweet. I wasnt asking for chapter and verse, but just a very basic layman's interpretation of why he suspects the police could get involved.

My point is, you would need to have a reason to suspect it was illegal.
    Source required.
    I was asking Joey what he suspects is illegal about the tweet. I wasnt asking for chapter and verse, but just a very basic layman's interpretation of why he suspects the police could get involved.
    There is at least a prime facie argument that the tweet may be contrary to the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994, that's not for me or you or Hazel to determine but for the Gardaí to investigate and if they feel the same to put the case forward.

That's your answer. Happy?

Source required.

There is at least a prime facie argument that the tweet may be contrary to the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994, that's not for me or you or Hazel to determine but for the Gardaí to investigate and if they feel the same to put the case forward.

That's your answer. Happy?

A source required?

Common sense.

And sure, if you interpretation (although incorrect) is that it violates that act (which it doesn't) then sure, fire ahead.

I did ask Joey though although your contributions are always welcome.

I think to most reasonable people, it is obvious that there is nothing illegal about the tweet and reporting it is posturing and wasting police time.

A source required?

Common sense.

And sure, if you interpretation (although incorrect) is that it violates that act (which it doesn't) then sure, fire ahead.

I did ask Joey though although your contributions are always welcome.

I think to most reasonable people, it is obvious that there is nothing illegal about the tweet and reporting it is posturing and wasting police time.
    You appear to be making the silly claim that a person reporting a potential crime to the AGS must be aware that what they're reporting is illegal, which would eliminate the entire purpose of having a police force.

So yes, if you are going to put forward the hypothesis that there is nothing illegal about the tweet and that it's "posturing and wasting police time" then I think you should be the one on whom the onus of providing supporting evidence for your theory lies.

I believe, as I said, that there is almost certainly a prima facie complaint pursuant to either/both sections 6 and 7 of the quoted act. Whether or not it meets the threshold in the opinion of AGS is a different question, but certainly I don't see the harm in reporting that post to the authorities particularly for someone in a position in the public eye.

:rolleyes: Oh my days...
    Is the (crime) issue, what was said or who it was said to ?

What was said of course. I would reccomend anyone who receives that sort of tweet to report it to gardai.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

To anyone with an ounce of common sense both sides of this issue are in no position to take the moral high ground.

Talking about asylum seekers doing what was outlined in the tweet posted earlier is lowest common denominator stuff.

Saying the protest outside the mansion House were caused by George Nkencho being shot and were a racist attack is also patently false.

This is the problem with political extremism on either end of the spectrum, it is populated by people to whom facts are anathema and whom are so entrenched in their views no amount of reasoned logical debate will ever get through.

°°°°°

I literally had tears in my eyes when I read about what happened to Hazel and her family.

To see now that people have continued to threaten her and her daughter on twitter after the event is sickening. This is proof positive (as if we didn't already know!) that Ireland is not a welcoming place for POC.

Ireland isn't a welcoming place for POC (people of colour I assume) because a woman who fits into that grouping who holds the office of Lord Mayor of our capital city was door stepped by a a gaggle of loonies who do not represent the vast majority of the people of this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I literally had tears in my eyes when I read about what happened to Hazel and her family.

To see now that people have continued to threaten her and her daughter on twitter after the event is sickening. This is proof positive (as if we didn't already know!) that Ireland is not a welcoming place for POC.

Why did you have tears in your eyes?? Has something happened to Hazel and her family??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is proof positive (as if we didn't already know!) that Ireland is not a welcoming place for POC.
    No. If we step away from the overemotionals what it is proof of is a small minority of a particular type of moron have access to the internet(and lord knows social media isn't short of idiots of all kinds) and an even smaller minority of morons are willing to go the extra mile and show up at the mansion house.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

She has been constantly targeted for racial abuse on social media - and the level of attention and protest directed her way is because she is a POC. That is abundantly clear. The minimization of this by people in this thread only enables racists. People are minimizing threats to sexually assault her child for god's sake! smh

Its sad indeed. I really warmed to Hazel, especially in how she dealt with that racial abuse she got from Barrett.

°°°°°

She has been constantly targeted for racial abuse on social media - and the level of attention and protest directed her way is because she is a POC. That is abundantly clear. The minimization of this by people in this thread only enables racists. People are minimizing threats to sexually assault her child for god's sake! smh

Anyone abusing her because of her skin colour is an idiot. Nobody has minimized anything in relation to that.

She does however stir the pot of racism all by herself. Her online conduct in the wake of the George Nkencho case was not becoming of somebody holding a public office, particularly as it was an incident which occurred outside of her jurisdiction.

As for the tweet that referenced her child and said behaviour, the tweet was not a threat itself, rather it suggested such behaviour would likely to be carried out by an asylum seeker in the future, which isn't a level of argument I feel is worthy of seeing the light of day, however it is useful to read the comment carefully enough to understand that it was not a threat before stating as much as being fact.

To address your previous post, the fact that a woman "of colour" holds the position of Lord mayor of Dublin tends to fly in the face of your statement that Ireland is not welcoming to POC's as you call them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Signed up just today lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ireland's other POC mayor has not been a particular target of racist abuse.
    But then he hasn't much got involved in the craziness of BLM (although he's black) and just goes about his mayorly duties and doesn't go nuts on twitter or anything, maybe that's his secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

osarusan wrote: »
    Signed up just today lads.

Mod

If you have an issue, report it; otherwise ignore and move on, if you cant discuss things civilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I literally had tears in my eyes reading this post.
    Probably a different type of tears though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement