Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

BUTTTTT

It's some of the mods/admins etc on this are unbelievably sympathetic to her. It's almost like they can't be impartial. They simply must defend her abhorrent behavior no matter what. No debate allowed.

<insert massive rolleyes emoji here>

Mod: Take 48 hours away from the thread. Post on the actual topic at hand when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

dan1895 wrote: »
    Is she not married to a white Irish man?

Every high profile woman on the left of ethnic origin is dating a white man except Afua Hirsch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

she is irish
    She has referred to her daughter as "a Chinese girl".
    How does that happen if the parents are both Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

And?

Doesn't mean she has to like Irish people.
    Her constant slander of them makes it obvious she has no time for them.

You know that Hitler had senior officers who were Jewish?

You think he was a big fan of them?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/historian-claims-hitler-personally-approved-officers-of-jewish-descent-to-fight-for-nazis-1.58495

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

conorhal wrote: »
    He started keeping a low profile after his first act as mayor was to fly home to Nigera, where his whole village turned out to throw him a party to celebrate his achievement. This caused people to ask the awkward question:
    'Why is someone we granted asylum because they had to flee their home in fear of their life now flying back there for a party?'
    That led to further awkward questions like 'why are we granting asylum to someone that came here from London where he had been working for Transport for London for several years?'

After that the chancer got very quiet and for 'some reason' the media stopped mentioning him...
    Is this true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

eleventh wrote: »
    She has referred to her daughter as "a Chinese girl".
    How does that happen if the parents are both Irish.

She actually refers to the daughter as her Chinese mini mayor.

As I said she only calls herself Irish when it suits her, when shes insulting the Irish she's Asian but when she needs the support of Joe public she's Irish.

It's gas the gombeen Irish fall hook line and sinker for such easy manipulation.

As said she knows well the media will never touch her so shes allowed away with it 100% the manipulation and race baiting.

Seems to be a full time gig for her the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

She actually refers to the daughter as her Chinese mini mayor.

As I said she only calls herself Irish when it suits her, when shes insulting the Irish she's Asian but when she needs the support of Joe public she's Irish.

It's gas the gombeen Irish fall hook line and sinker for such easy manipulation.

As said she knows well the media will never touch her so shes allowed away with it 100% the manipulation and race baiting.

Seems to be a full time gig for her the above.

Mod

Week off for ignoring a threadban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Not for nothing but Trump is married to an immigrant and that never stopped anyone claiming he hates immigrants. Same with yer man Farage.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Not for nothing but Trump is married to an immigrant and that never stopped anyone claiming he hates immigrants. Same with yer man Farage.

It's lies that Hazel Chu hates all Irish people or deems all Irish people to be racist.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Chu has been compared with Trump, Farage and Hitler in the last page. Really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

It's lies that Hazel Chu hates all Irish people or deems all Irish people to be racist.
    Chu has been compared with Trump, Farage and Hitler in the last page. Really?

Im just responding to the claim that because she's married to an Irish man that proves she doesn't have an animus against the Irish people. That doesn't hold up in other examples.
    I don't think she hates Irish people I just think she an opportunistic politician who uses race to further her career.

Im just responding to the claim that because she's married to an Irish man that proves she doesn't have an animus against the Irish people. .
    It doesn't prove anything. He is ok with her politics. That's about all you can say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It doesn't prove anything. He is ok with her politics. That's about all you can say about it.

No proof either of the lies on this thread that she hates all Irish people or of the claims that she states all Irish people are racist.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

No proof either of the lies on this thread that she hates all Irish people or of the claims that she states all Irish people are racist.
    I would bet you anything that if you surveyed the people of Ireland with the question "Black lives matter or All lives matter?", the resounding response you wuold get would be "All lives matter" - regardless what side of the political spectrum, or no side at all. It's only a handful of lunatics you'd find would respond that the only lives that matter are black and no-one else's.

Hazel Chu's view is that anyone who thinks "all lives matter" is wrong:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40226924.html
    The Lord Mayor of Dublin has criticised people who have said “All Lives Matter.”
    “The fact that people have come out and said ‘All Lives Matter’ - they don’t understand.
    The Lord mayor of Cork would represent the more balanced, sane view:
    when he said that, in his opinion, “all lives matter” Mr Kavanagh was questioned about his remarks during a Q&A session afterwards, where he said: “I don’t make distinctions between one grouping and another”.
    You'd think that would be clarification enough, but no, he was questioned further on it - by Irish media, notice that
    Speaking to the Irish Examiner, Mr Kavanagh said that he had been “completely and utterly misinterpreted”.

He said: “I fully support Black Lives Matter. I’m not supporting anyone who supports racism so, of course, I support Black Lives Matter.
    No mention of Chu being questioned at all on what she said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It wasn't the Examiner asking questions.

It was part of a Q&A at the event.

The Examiner gave Mr. Kavanagh an opportunity to clarify his position which he took.

elperello wrote: »
    It wasn't the Examiner asking questions.

It was part of a Q&A at the event.

The Examiner gave Mr. Kavanagh an opportunity to clarify his position which he took.
    Did he not already clarify it in the Q&A though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

She’s dangerous after what she said about the teachers in Carlow.

Did she ever follow up what she tweeted or was that just conveniently forgotten about?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Second part of it is kinda true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Im just responding to the claim that because she's married to an Irish man that proves she doesn't have an animus against the Irish people. That doesn't hold up in other examples.
    I don't think she hates Irish people I just think she an opportunistic politician who uses race to further her career.

Thats disgusting enough on its own, and from what information I've come across, it seems she's partial to baiting

Did he not already clarify it in the Q&A though?

The Examiner behaved correctly in contacting the first citizen of Cork and giving him the opportunity to clarify.

He has made it clear he supports Black Lives Matter and has drawn a line under the story.

Joe Kavanagh is an experienced politician and took the best route out of the controversy his remarks landed him in.

These links give a bit more context to the matter -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40225304.html
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40225544.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I can post no problem.

I wonder then have I upset Chu, ebdum, luke O'Neill etc etc with honest truth and honest question....

elperello wrote: »
    The Examiner behaved correctly in contacting the first citizen of Cork and giving him the opportunity to clarify.

He has made it clear he supports Black Lives Matter and has drawn a line under the story.

Joe Kavanagh is an experienced politician and took the best route out of the controversy his remarks landed him in.

These links give a bit more context to the matter -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40225304.html
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40225544.html
    If someone says "all lives matter", how could anyone in their right mind, think that means "maybe black lives don't. I better clarify that."

Responsible journalism would dismiss it as a non-story. If a story was needed, ask whoever had the problem with "all" and focus on them, not the person who said nothing wrong.

If someone says "all lives matter", how could anyone in their right mind, think that means "maybe black lives don't. I better clarify that."

Responsible journalism would dismiss it as a non-story. If a story was needed, ask whoever had the problem with "all" and focus on them, not the person who said nothing wrong.

You can see that in the second link one of his political opponents was taking him to task. That makes it a story.

IMO journalists are unlikely to dismiss a spat between the Lord Mayors of our capitol and second city as a non story.

There's a whole background to the BLM/WLM/ALM controversy which is an overspill from the US.

I'm sure you know about it so I don't want to labour the point but activists are touchy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭KevRossi

She's not actually married to Patrick Costello (Green Party TD). They were due to get married but cancelled it due to COVID. They've been together a long while, so as good as married IMO. I think they intend to tie the knot when COVID is over, or when restrictions loosen a bit.

She describes herself and her daughter as Chinese-Irish or 'Panda', which I think is fair enough. She's described both of them as Irish, Chinese-Irish, Irish-Chinese and Chinese at various times, which I think is fair enough as well.

There's a blurring of lines with people from one ethnic group who are raised in another country. Think of all the Irish-Americans or Irish-UK. "English heart, Irish blood'. I honestly see no issue with it, or her describing herself or her daughter as such.

She has received a fair bit of abuse over the years, most of it harmless from a violence perspective, but it sticks after a while and can hurt. Some of what she receives is downright nasty, viscous and threatening. I don't regard the 'demo' outside the Mansion House a few weeks ago as threatening, but it would be hurtful. You just know that none of the people being threatening to her would have the balls to go into one of the Chinese gaming establishments in the city and say the same thing to some of the Chinese lads there, so a lot of it is based on cowardice.

Her problem is the way she comes across at times, she can be too quick to shoot off (especially on Twitter) and she needs to learn that too. Things she has said in the past will come back to bite her eventually. The fact that she hasn't seemed to have learnt this isn't a good sign. She is opinionated and this rubs up some people the wrong way for various reasons.

I agree with her point that racism is wrong (I believe all prejudice is wrong, but I've the sense to realise that its a basic human trait) and needs to be tackled. And that's about it. I have different views to her on immigration, DP, and the future of migration/immigration of humans in general. I think the way she comes across is wrong and she needs to work on it. Less of the blame game is needed. It's not as simple as that.

Id always be wary of anyone going into politics who is too quick to paint anyone disagreeing with them as an "ism"

that covers not just racism or sexism but the likes of the healy-raes who were rightly lambasted by deflecting criticism/debate during the week by being too quick to claim it as anti-rural, for instance

Perhaps it's because most of the publicity around ms. chu seems to focus on either her own views on her race, or other peoples views on her race (pretty much always rotten, id add), but i hear far more about her than i do many politicians where i know what they have actually achieved or what they stand for politically besides being a member of a particular race.

none of the above are particularly her fault, id hasten to add. but the ideal situation of more representation for irelands minorities in politics would likely be hastened by them focusing on more than just their being a member of that minority once elected

Its utterly wrong that she should be tackled as a public figure because of her race, and she shouldnt be asked to turn the other cheek - thats not what im saying

But every elected rep is subject to criticism- most of it ill-informed, a lot of it unfair and much of it over the line of whats palatable or reasonable comment.

You still need to be able to function and if the criticism and slings and arrows are what everyone in the position would be in for, pointing it out as "isms" doesnt really serve any cause much good bar turning off the public who just want to see the job done and dont see themselves as being served by endless controversy

Unfair, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

KevRossi wrote: »
    She's not actually married to Patrick Costello (Green Party TD). They were due to get married but cancelled it due to COVID. They've been together a long while, so as good as married IMO. I think they intend to tie the knot when COVID is over, or when restrictions loosen a bit.

She describes herself and her daughter as Chinese-Irish or 'Panda', which I think is fair enough. She's described both of them as Irish, Chinese-Irish, Irish-Chinese and Chinese at various times, which I think is fair enough as well.

There's a blurring of lines with people from one ethnic group who are raised in another country. Think of all the Irish-Americans or Irish-UK. "English heart, Irish blood'. I honestly see no issue with it, or her describing herself or her daughter as such.

She has received a fair bit of abuse over the years, most of it harmless from a violence perspective, but it sticks after a while and can hurt. Some of what she receives is downright nasty, viscous and threatening. I don't regard the 'demo' outside the Mansion House a few weeks ago as threatening, but it would be hurtful. You just know that none of the people being threatening to her would have the balls to go into one of the Chinese gaming establishments in the city and say the same thing to some of the Chinese lads there, so a lot of it is based on cowardice.

Her problem is the way she comes across at times, she can be too quick to shoot off (especially on Twitter) and she needs to learn that too. Things she has said in the past will come back to bite her eventually. The fact that she hasn't seemed to have learnt this isn't a good sign. She is opinionated and this rubs up some people the wrong way for various reasons.

I agree with her point that racism is wrong (I believe all prejudice is wrong, but I've the sense to realise that its a basic human trait) and needs to be tackled. And that's about it. I have different views to her on immigration, DP, and the future of migration/immigration of humans in general. I think the way she comes across is wrong and she needs to work on it. Less of the blame game is needed. It's not as simple as that.

You dont regard it as threatening, as you werent on the receiving end of it. Also, do you know that these people were cowards? Again, being on the receiving end of that, I know that wouldnt be giving me any solace or comfort.
    As for your last 2 paragraphs, talk about victim blaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

She’s dangerous after what she said about the teachers in Carlow.

Did she ever follow up what she tweeted or was that just conveniently forgotten about?

That tweet is still on her Twitter account, despite numerous requests for her to clarify what she meant by "do better".

The woman can say what she wants, dont forget any criticism of her makes you a far-right racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

keano_afc wrote: »
    That tweet is still on her Twitter account, despite numerous requests for her to clarify what she meant by "do better".

The woman can say what she wants, dont forget any criticism of her makes you a far-right racist.

isn't that the truth.
    she can vomit out whatever lies and race baiting she likes but speak about her and even mispronouce a word and you are attacked and a pariah in the media.

She may not be a shape-shifting dragon but for some reason she is a protected species within the D4 twitter/ media set. Never an awkward question posed to her. Why is that?

The truth is - they will deny this but its evident - its' racism on their part.
    That white-saviour complex the middle /rich class of progressives have -a class that 90% of twitter and the media hail from.

Chu is a nasty character using her platform for ill judged divisive comments but her enablers are much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

paw patrol wrote: »
    isn't that the truth.
    she can vomit out whatever lies and race baiting she likes but speak about her and even mispronouce a word and you are attacked and a pariah in the media

She may not be a shape-shifting dragon but for some reason she is a protected species within the D4 twitter/ media set. Never an awkward question posed to her. Why is that?

The truth is - they will deny this but its evident - its' racism on their part.
    That white-saviour complex the middle /rich class of progressives have -a class that 90% of twitter and the media hail from.

Chu is a nasty character using her platform for ill judged divisive comments but her enablers are much worse.

Using minorities as a human meat shield has been common with these types for years. It's extremely exploitative and certainly not inline with the "compassion" that these types champion. They honestly represent some of the worst examples of cheap, emotional, psychological manipulation.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

keano_afc wrote: »

What do these have in common with Chu?
    That thejournal.ie all-over-every-other-media mouth, Sinead O'Carroll
    That irritating, self-serving, smug 'socialist' (my arse), Aodhan O'Riordain
    That ex-footballer, all over-the-media-as-a-guru-on-mental-health, Richie Sadlier
    ...amongst loads of other bluethicks including the 'journalist of the year' who made up nearly 99% of the Carlow school story

All mouths that think their own ill-judged, completely incorrect public wide-ranging finger-wagging sessions will have no consequences for them because according to themselves and their enablers, they're on 'the right side' of absolutely everything.
    Even when it is obvious they have zero clue and merely signal to each other and the enablers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement