Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

When I was a child in the late 70's, early 80's, I can't actually remember ever seeing a kid with a golliwog doll here in Ireland, but on visits with relatives in England at the same time I did see a few. 70's Ireland couldn't have been any more White and the UK had significantly more Black people yet seemed to have more of that kind of imagery going on. They even had the black and white minstrel show on UK telly until the late 70's.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wibbs wrote: »
    When I was a child in the late 70's, early 80's, I can't actually remember ever seeing a kid with a golliwog doll here in Ireland, but on visits with relatives in England at the same time I did see a few. 70's Ireland couldn't have been any more White and the UK had significantly more Black people yet seemed to have more of that kind of imagery going on. They even had the black and white minstrel show on UK telly until the late 70's.
    No wonder you are the way you are now, watching B&W minstrel shows on telly while eating a golliwog as a youngster. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Big brave Irish patriotic men standing outside a woman's home harassing her. Of course they are no where to be seen on Bonfire night in East Belfast where the Loyalists burn their flag...

Does it change the narrative that there were women protesting as well?

Afaik one of these women even got arrested for ignoring Covid restrictions.

Why the fuk would anyone in their right mind go to East Belfast on Bonfire night to complain about a fleg?

One other small thing - the Lord Mayor of Dublin is an officialy appointed public figure who represents the city. Hence demonstrations at the Mansion House are fairly common.

Northern Ireland Loyalists celebrating the 12th with a bonfire in East Belfast is not quite the same tbf.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Kivaro wrote: »
    No wonder you are the way you are now, watching B&W minstrel shows on telly while eating a golliwog as a youngster. :pac:
    :D Funny I don't remember the ice lollys. I only remember the B&W minstrel show because of my parents discussing how tacky it was, equating it to paddy jokes by English comedians and switching it off. Even then in the non PC late 70's it was more than a bit "ah here like".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Underground

I've refrained from commenting in this thread thus far. The Lord Mayor claims to be on the receiving end of more online abuse than any politician, I have no metric by which to measure this. Maybe she is right. I doubt it though.

Wants a seat in the Seanad. I had approached her statement with an open mind but once I got past the two short opening paragraphs she's talking about identity politics, again. I mean, you must know you're inviting the vitriol on to yourself at this point surely?

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1374058785350823944?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I've refrained from commenting in this thread thus far. The Lord Mayor claims to be on the receiving end of more online abuse than any politician, I have no metric by which to measure this. Maybe she is right. I doubt it though.

Wants a seat in the Seanad. I had approached her statement with an open mind but once I got past the two short opening paragraphs she's talking about identifity politics, again. I mean, you must know you're inviting the vitriol on to yourself at this point surely?

Yes.
    Trying to get elected by fair means or foul.
    Hope people can see through this sham.

I hope she ****s off into obscurity. She is an agitating race-baiting nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She knows she hasn’t a hope of getting elected to the dail so is getting a move on now to try get on the Seanad gravy train. Not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Race, Gender. Race, Gender. A sprinkling of "poor me".

Rinse repeat.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Woke seems to be the new hip way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I've never read a letter/press release outlining a politicians reasons for wanting a Seanad seat before but this reads fairly poorly.
    No mention of her achievements, what she plans to push in the Seanad or ideas she has to improve Ireland, just "I should be in the Seanad because Im a woman and from a minority background, racists all hate me the most, if you don't help me into the Seanad the racists will win and the kids will be sad and never want to enter politics." Come on Hazel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hindsight being the great thing that it is, unfortunately we did not abolish the senate when we had the chance ( largely to spite the Government) wonder when we will get another chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wants a seat in the Seanad. I had approached her statement with an open mind but once I got past the two short opening paragraphs she's talking about identity politics, again. I mean, you must know you're inviting the vitriol on to yourself at this point surely?

"...its not my intention to be divisive..."

Bloody hell I laughed out loud at that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Once the likes of Hazel, or any other member of Wokus Dei, get their snouts in the trough, they just can't help themselves. They'll do anything to keep on the gravy train.* I mean just look at Aodan O'Riordan voting to abolish the Seanad and then when he lost his seat at the next General Election he coudn't get into the Seanad fast enough.

*Apologies for mixing metaphors.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

keano_afc wrote: »
    "...its not my intention to be divisive..."

Bloody hell I laughed out loud at that one.

It made me hear sitcom canned laughter in my head.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Know little about the woman.

Having read that statement above, it seems I now need to read no more about her. The only thing she didn’t include in that statement is attacks on Asians.

Woke, divisive and no real achievements to speak of apart from her own.

Pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't like identity politics or agree with her politically but she doesn't deserve the abuse she gets.

It's completely disproportionate. And this just feeds into the deranged idea that racism and sexism exists everywhere within everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I don't like identity politics or agree with her politically but she doesn't deserve the abuse she gets.

It's completely disproportionate. And this just feeds into the deranged idea that racism and sexism exists everywhere within everyone.

She certainly deserves it after her George tweets.

And agreeing with Senator Lynne Ruanne when she told us all to ask her arse for calling her out for saying George's murder was a racial one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In general these days there is too much common abuse about posing as political analysis.

When someone goes for political office they deserve to get their manifesto or agenda scrutinised without relying on personal insults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I've never read a letter/press release outlining a politicians reasons for wanting a Seanad seat before but this reads fairly poorly.
    No mention of her achievements, what she plans to push in the Seanad or ideas she has to improve Ireland, just "I should be in the Seanad because Im a woman and from a minority background, racists all hate me the most, if you don't help me into the Seanad the racists will win and the kids will be sad and never want to enter politics." Come on Hazel.
    That's what it read like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Race baiters tear the fabric of society apart, by constantly forcing people into racial camps. The evil oppressive native v the hapless minority, an absolute recipe for disaster. All you have to do is look at the state of America, where race is shoved into ever topic, no matter how tenuous the link. Nearly everyone who opposes her opposes her on the aforementioned grounds, not because they hate minorities.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Marcos wrote: »
    Once the likes of Hazel, or any other member of Wokus Dei, get their snouts in the trough, they just can't help themselves. They'll do anything to keep on the gravy train.* I mean just look at Aodan O'Riordan voting to abolish the Seanad and then when he lost his seat at the next General Election he coudn't get into the Seanad fast enough.

*Apologies for mixing metaphors.

And spent his time there stoking objections to housing developments in his area, all in a bid to boost his next Dail campaign. Not exactly valuable Seanad work. I laughed at Labour's last election campaign with building houses front and centre, all the while Aodhan organises summits in the Abbey Tavern in Howth to stoke opposition to developments there, and does his best to prevent the area around St. Annes Park from being developed.

I don't really mind the Seanad as a stepping stone to the Dail. Someone like Rose Conway-Walsh (while I'm not a fan of her party) made the adjustment well. I would love a rule that prohibits deposed TDs from going into the Seanad, so people like Aodhan and Regina Doherty dont get to slink in, pick up a pay packet and stay relevant while they plot their next move. I'd also love to see a two term maximum imposed.

But none of this will happen, because who knows when the safety net of a Seanad seat might come in handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I think that is what is expected. Hazel Chu is too strong a woman to do that though and it really grates on a lot of people. Personally i find it hilarious how much she triggers people just by being a strong confident non-white woman in her position. I'm sure she will go on to have a very good career in politics.

Too strong a woman? Confident?

I'd be thinking the exact opposite.

She is simply race baiting for her own benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Too strong a woman? Confident?

I'd be thinking the exact opposite.

She is simply race baiting for her own benefit.

Exactly,
    She has a lot of people ‘taken in’ with her antics. Can’t believe they fall for her guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Exactly,
    She has a lot of people ‘taken in’ with her antics. Can’t believe they fall for her guff.

Has she apologised (or mentioned since) her comments directed at the teachers in Carlow a few months back?

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

elperello wrote: »
    In general these days there is too much common abuse about posing as political analysis.

When someone goes for political office they deserve to get their manifesto or agenda scrutinised without relying on personal insults.

I agree, the reaction to her in this thread seems to be completely over the top,
    and if this is representative of what she gets on twitter, etc., then I'm not surprised she ends up referring to it.

I read her statement re the Seanad and while it didn't knock me out I see nothing particularly wrong with it either.
    I don't follow her tweets, etc., but I hardly expect them to be worse than what some posters are coming out with here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Has she apologised (or mentioned since) her comments directed at the teachers in Carlow a few months back?

That was conveniently forgotten about.

She was only too happy to jump on the bandwagon.

Facts?!?....sure who’d be bothered waiting for them when there’s twitter likes to be harvested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Linda Rough Treadmill

really great job keeping the Seanad open isnt it - said it earlier in the thread, she's so unelectable to get into to the Dail, this is her only opportunity to get on the gravy train...and she'll keep playing the race card...has she actually done anything other than tweet controversies or race bait

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Best place for her tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She is a no hoper and she is well aware of that.

You’d hope the greens throw her out on her ear now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement