Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Why is she not running as a Green ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sigh more of our taxes going to the failed politicians club, she will fit in well there with the likes of Ivana Bachik and Aodhan O'Riordan.
    It would be interesting to see if we did have another go at abolishing the Senead would it pass this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

statesaver wrote: »
    Why is she not running as a Green ?

Behind the scenes there seems to be an ongoing soap opera in the greens - involving a number of couples (ie married/long term relationships where both are politicians) at each other’s throats

I don’t mean idealistic political disputes but more basic stuff.

Arguments over who got what and when.

“Wah wah I was promised x y z and didn’t get it”

Who was promised this that and the other and didn’t get it.

Bitchy, petty infighting.

Hazel is right in the middle of this

• Registered Users Posts: 16,342 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Behind the scenes there seems to be an ongoing soap opera in the greens - involving a number of couples (ie married/long term relationships where both are politicians) at each other’s throats

If they don't implode they'll be eviscerated anyway next GE.
    Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Good riddance.

Hopefully before Roderic gets to implement his direct provision ****show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I've refrained from commenting in this thread thus far. The Lord Mayor claims to be on the receiving end of more online abuse than any politician, I have no metric by which to measure this. Maybe she is right. I doubt it though.

Wants a seat in the Seanad. I had approached her statement with an open mind but once I got past the two short opening paragraphs she's talking about identity politics, again. I mean, you must know you're inviting the vitriol on to yourself at this point surely?

https://twitter.com/aoifegracemoore/status/1374058785350823944?s=09

What a load of tripe that statement is.

No doubt the posh South Dub crew will lap it up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Hopefully before Roderic gets to implement his direct provision ****show.

As much as it pains me to consider it, I'd take an election now in the middle of all this in order to get him out.
    A guy who fell in to a ministerial job who has ideas that no one asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Is there something specific or particular this is about? genuinely curious, no surprise she would act in such a way, astonishingly immature/perplexing view/attitude to things imo.

She is a no hoper and she is well aware of that.

You’d hope the greens throw her out on her ear now.

And that is why she is going for the Seanad, I suspect that has been her aim for a long time.

Good riddance.

They were eviscerated before, and they still, somehow made a comeback? I dont understand it, people must have short memories.
    At this point, bar a few local independent politicians, and even then Im suspicious, I think there is not much worth voting for, mass spoilage of votes imo, it doesnt play into anyones hands if it is the majority, no more than spoling votes does anyway. I used to complain about non voters, but people who insist on voting in the same old same old are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/diversity-must-be-celebrated-dublin-lord-mayor-hazel-chu-explains-seanad-solo-run-40233415.html

Yet another "vote for me or you're racist" diatribe.

The fawning in the press over this woman is fuelling her narcissism.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

keano_afc wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/diversity-must-be-celebrated-dublin-lord-mayor-hazel-chu-explains-seanad-solo-run-40233415.html

I have to agree with you. No doubt she will get the seat, imagine the uproar if she didn't?

I wonder when her autobiography will be out?

Her media team would put Harry & Megan to shame...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Aside from calling people racist for disagreeing with her , and advocating that she should be in any given position to make it more diverse, what does hazel actually contribute.

Her entire platform is just race based

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Just listening to her on Claire Byrne. Seems that Hazel is only interested in Hazel. Maybe she could leave the Greens and form a Me Fein party?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Where does she say "vote for me or you're a racist"?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

I would love a rule that prohibits deposed TDs from going into the Seanad, so people like Aodhan and Regina Doherty dont get to slink in, pick up a pay packet and stay relevant while they plot their next move. I'd also love to see a two term maximum imposed.
    Now that's an idea that I think most people would agree on. AFAIK didn't the Greens used to have a policy on limited maximum terms for representatives? The idea being that individuals actually represent their constituents and put in place policies for them rather than be "captured" by lobbyists etc. Of course that was long before they got seats on the gravy train themselves. :rolleyes:
    But none of this will happen, because who knows when the safety net of a Seanad seat might come in handy?
    And that's why those in power wouldn't want to see it happen.

This is one of the reasons I'm glad we don't have a list based PR system where a certain portion of votes for every party are given to those on a nominated list. Generally these are the zealots or unelectables* like Ivana Bacic** or the possibly bould Hazel*** who would then get to pretend they have a mandate while never actually being elected by the people. The STV for it's faults doesn't allow this. I'm using Ivana Bacic as she is to me a textbook example of someone who has never been elected in a General or European Election, and then slipped into the Seanad via Trinity, and Hazel, well because the thread is discussing her political life.

* Zealots who's message doesn't sit well enough with the general public to get them elected. Unelectables because they have previously tried and failed to get elected on different occasions.

**Bacic failed to be elected in the 2004 European election, 2009 Dublin central by election, 2011 General Election in Dun Laoghaire with Eamon Gilmore topping the poll.

*** I say possibly as she has only been elected as a city councillor since 2019. I'll say one thing for her, she's a quick mover, getting appointed Lord Mayor 13 months later.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Underground

It's just empty soundbites at this stage. She says the Seanad needs more female representation. 40% of the members are female. If it was 4% I'd say she has a point but at 40% I hardly see an endemic issue there, that number could well go above 50% next time round, how exactly are females being prevented from becoming members of the Seanad?

She has more real life work experience than many people in the Seanad and the Dail. Worked across enterprise and trade and had a decent stint in Diageo. First Irish born person of Chinese descent to be called to the Irish Bar, fair play to her, that's a great achievement.

Problem is she's not interested in talking about any of that stuff at all. Race and gender, that's it. She knows a thing or two about running political campaigns so that choice to focus on identity politics and forego championing her actual achievements is very much deliberate.

Gives out about people using rhetoric to cause division, hello!?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Where does she say "vote for me or you're a racist"?

That's her whole sale.... Her whole life story.....

Everything she talks about is race and herself.

I've asked her on Twitter and I was blocked for asking honest questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Ben is brilliant, worth a watch as he is extremely brainy, well spoken and up on all their tricks.

Someone like him in rte and left to actually pass on real journalism would be a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It kinda stings that when you take someone in and elevate them to Lord Mayor over our capital city, you are still just a white racist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Hazel Chu and Ebun Joseph must be the two most race obsessed people in the country. Most Irish people never mention anything about race with them everything is race race race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its the gotcha strategy, she changes it so suit any given scenario of ‘gotcha racist’

• Registered Users Posts: 52,010 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

GT89 wrote: »
    Hazel Chu and Ebun Joseph must be the two most race obsessed people in the country. Most Irish people never mention anything about race with them everything is race race race.

I’m hearing that Joseph had her wings clipped by her University bosses over her outbursts. About time too. She’s fairly quiet of late,

I’m hearing that Joseph had her wings clipped by her University bosses over her outbursts. About time too. She’s fairly quiet of late,

I emailed the college, I got back that she wasn't actually an employee and she was used as a guest speaker.
    They took on board my concerns and stated that her thoughts and what she writes is basically on her and they have nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

biko wrote: »
    It kinda stings that when you take someone in and elevate them to Lord Mayor over our capital city, you are still just a white racist.

The Irish people could elect nothing but minorities, yet we'd still be racist. It's way too convenient a tool to beat the natives with for it to ever be dropped. The race baiting train will keep on running, fueled by lies and falsehoods, as it always has been.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

biko wrote: »

Take someone in??

She was born in the Rotunda :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Im waiting to see someone post something that shows me this is still a current topic worth keeping a thread on, and not just a thread to bash a public figure. Ill leave it for a bit but if i dont see something, ill be closing the thread.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

That's her whole sale.... Her whole life story.....

Everything she talks about is race and herself.

But where did she say "vote for me or you're racist"? I don't see anything along those lines in the article that was linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

Baggly wrote: »
    Mod

Im waiting to see someone post something that shows me this is still a current topic worth keeping a thread on, and not just a thread to bash a public figure. Ill leave it for a bit but if i dont see something, ill be closing the thread.

The good Lord Mayor is standing in a Seanad by-election next month in circumstances which have brought about near civil war in her own party. Mayor Chu's antics could well cause an official split in the Green Party, and in those circumstances it's not impossible to think the government could collapse.

Minister Ryan has in the last 24 hours said he won't be voting for his own party's Chairperson in the election. This is absolutely unprecedented carry-on.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40250018.html

In what circumstances do you think that discussion of Mayor Chu in the context of the foregoing is anything other than "a current topic worth keeping a thread on", as you put it?

The thread should remain live at least until the result of the by-election is declared in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

But where did she say "vote for me or you're racist"? I don't see anything along those lines in the article that was linked.

I can only assume that you are being purposefully obtuse here.

The notion of "vote for me or you're racist" is something which is implicit in how Hazel Chu outlined the reasoning behind her candidacy for the Seanad.

She did not explicitly state this but she was at a pains to reference her status as a woman from an ethnic minority in her statement as being motivation for her putting herself forward for election to the Seanad.

I'm all for women from ethnic minorities running for political office, as long as they have something to offer the electorate (a moot point in the case of the Seanad) other than their gender and or skin colour, you know, actual things to offer society in the role of a public official other than getting into argument ls with morons on twitter.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

PunkIPA wrote: »
    The good Lord Mayor is standing in a Seanad by-election next month in circumstances which have brought about near civil war in her own party. Mayor Chu's antics could well cause an official split in the Green Party, and in those circumstances it's not impossible to think the government could collapse.

Minister Ryan has in the last 24 hours said he won't be voting for his own party's Chairperson in the election. This is absolutely unprecedented carry-on.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40250018.html

In what circumstances do you think that discussion of Mayor Chu in the context of the foregoing is anything other than "a current topic worth keeping a thread on", as you put it?

The thread should remain live at least until the result of the by-election is declared in April.
    Very interesting indeed. From the article:
    "Ms Chu entered the race as an Independent candidate yesterday as a late entry after securing nine signatures, seven of which came from her own party, despite the party agreeing it would not field a candidate for the ballot."
    I wonder what/who made them change their minds?

And what was the response from the usually quickfire and boisterous Lord Mayor?
    "Ms Chu had no comment when contacted."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement