Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

after the knife man died a huge amount of anger out there that there is no direct way the electorate can remove chu from the position of Lord Mayor.

How was she installed as Lord Mayor in the first place - Grubby dealings behind the scenes in city hall?

She was voted for by the elected councillors legitimately like anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm 100% against the protesters...........but...............the protesters were in a public place weren't they? So private residence or not, the protesters (wrong as they are) have a right to protest in a public place.

Protest, or harass?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

GarIT wrote: »
    She was voted for by the elected councillors legitimately like anyone else.

Is there any way to remove a Lord Mayor by the electorate?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

Chu up next on Claire Byrne

I think calling that building her home is a stretch just to sell the piece and I cannot stand her based on how she handles her business on twtter alone, she's not very bright in my opinion.

However, Pennsylvania avenue was Trumps address for the last 4 years, 10 downing street is Johnsons at this point in time, if they sleep there, technically it's their home isn't it? as paul young says, "wherever I lay my hat...."

• Advertisement

Is there any way to remove a Lord Mayor by the electorate?

Not that I'm aware of. Their job is to control the order of business and be the deciding vote of the council. And sort of the public face of the council. I don't think theres too much point in the public picking them.

Wasn't there a vote on that actually that failed a while ago to have a directly elected mayor?

Personally I think labelling the mansion house as her “home” is unfortunate. Little bit misleading. It’s the official residence of the Lord Mayor - she happens to be the current occupier of that role.

Not sure why it was presented as if it was her own personal home in the Piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

after the knife man died a huge amount of anger out there that there is no direct way the electorate can remove chu from the position of Lord Mayor.

How was she installed as Lord Mayor in the first place - Grubby dealings behind the scenes in city hall?

Again, what has that got to do with face masks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

rusty cole wrote: »
    However, Pennsylvania avenue was Trumps address for the last 4 years, 10 downing street is Johnsons at this point in time, if they sleep there, technically it's their home isn't it?

The White House and 10 Downing Street are entirely different cases from the Mansion House, apparently, because, erm, [insert convoluted logic here]

Bit startling how a public rep like chu is labelling the protest as “abuse”

Even clare Byrne said they were “perfectly entitled” to protest.

Chu seems to be against protest full stop

• Advertisement

Personally I think labelling the mansion house as her “home” is unfortunate. Little bit misleading. It’s the official residence of the Lord Mayor - she happens to be the current occupier of that role.

Not sure why it was presented as if it was her own personal home in the Piece.

How so?

It is the official residence (home?) of the lord mayor, she is currently the lord mayor, so it's her residence (home).

What kind of mental backflipping is going on here....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Was it a violent protest?

Sounds like intimidation and harassment the way its described.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Should it be illegal to protest outside the Mansion House?
    Anyone? Howabout the Aras?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Invidious wrote: »
    The White House and 10 Downing Street are entirely different cases from the Mansion House, apparently, because, erm, [insert convoluted logic here]

The large security railings and space between the front door and the main road. That's the difference.

To be honest I'd like if we made a protestors square, and banned protesting outside of protestors square.

Could make use of the pedestrianised Dame Street and confine protestors to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭KaneToad

But Chu herself attended a mass protest/rally in contravention of the Covid restrictions.

I would say to the Lord Mayor - as a democrat you should be fully behind the public’s legitimate right to protest and to accept that is part and parcel of being in a liberal democracy.

Don’t try to shut down protest. Protest has led to some great social changes over the years.

To be honest I'd like if we made a protestors square, and banned protesting outside of protestors square.

Could make use of the pedestrianised Dame Street and confine protestors to there.
    Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Protest, or harass?

I think the fact that the protesters had a placard that said "Our Lives Matter", clearly a play on BLM, means that the protesters weren't really there because of masks. Anyway............back to your question.

Most protesters are there to cause a nusiance. So many protests can lead to people being harassed. That said, Chu didn't get too much harassment. Approached by 5 people, one asked to shake her hand, two stood close to her and they asked her why she was wearing a mask. Not the greatest instance of harassment ever. But still, the protesters are absolute ar5eholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

KaneToad wrote: »
    But Chu herself attended a mass protest/rally in contravention of the Covid restrictions.

Thats a stupid thing to do in these covid times.

But its not the point, they shouldnt be outside her house where her kids live.

These Anti Mask idiots are the most selfish fools around so I expect dumb situations like this from them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A registered and approved protest, sure why not? One with a clearly defined time and duration, a Garda presence, and an actual reason why they are there and what it's got to do with the office of the mayor

• Registered Users Posts: 40,459 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The protest seemed to be very personalised against her specifically. and protesting about wearing masks to someone that has no control over that is a bit odd.

A registered and approved protest, sure why not? One with a clearly defined time and duration, a Garda presence, and an actual reason why they are there and what it's got to do with the office of the mayor

The best kind of protest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

beakerjoe wrote: »
    But its not the point, they shouldnt be outside her house where her kids live.

She doesn't have "kids" — she has one daughter, who was in a creche at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

KaneToad wrote: »

Every citizen is entitled to protest but personally, I would limit it to outside council offices, Dáil and Seanad Éireann, and the like. Protests should be about the issue and not the person that is very important.

The official resident/work thing is semantics

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think the fact that the protesters had a placard that said "Our Lives Matter", clearly a play on BLM, means that the protesters weren't really there because of masks. Anyway............back to your question.

Most protesters are there to cause a nusiance. So many protests can lead to people being harassed. That said, Chu didn't get too much harassment. Approached by 5 people, one asked to shake her hand, two stood close to her and they asked her why she was wearing a mask. Not the greatest instance of harassment ever. But still, the protesters are absolute ar5eholes.

so you agree that it's not protesting but is harassment, but only kinda harassment?

We definitely agree on the orifices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Why not a disused field in Wexford instead ??
    I think that would be best then no one would be bothered by the Protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Don't be so square, dude. Power to the people... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Fair enough, the Mansion House is a public building as well as the residence of the Lord Mayor. It makes sense that you should be able to protest outside it as it is a public building. However the protestors should also be aware that it is also a residence and behave accordingly and not in a way that intimidates the residents. However I fail to see any connection between the current Lord Mayor and masks. If the protest was regarding something the Lord Mayor had said or done then that would be different. The Lord Mayor is a purely ceremonial role afaik. What power does she have to change anything that the protest was about? None. What part did she have to play in forming the legislation regarding masks? None. It was a pointless excercise. If people have a problem with the government then go protest outside the relevant Government Department or the Dáil. If you have an issue with Dublin City Council then go protest outside the Council offices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I would say to the Lord Mayor - as a democrat you should be fully behind the public’s legitimate right to protest and to accept that is part and parcel of being in a liberal democracy.

Don’t try to shut down protest. Protest has led to some great social changes over the years.

I think there is a difference between legitimate protest and harassment/intimidation. The fact the gardai stepped shows this stepped over the line.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement