Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

What do I want? How about an actual equivalent, not a random mish mash of different stuff, people protesting the mayor at their house on an issue that has nothing to do with the office of the mayor. That's what happened here

I think they were protesting for her resignation from office. Not that it makes it appropriate.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/politics/arid-40211837.html

She said in this article that "They've been calling for my resignation since I spoke about the shooting of George Nkencho.  A woman stopped me and stuck her hand out, touching my body, and said: ''pleased to meet you'."

The mask stuff came after that interaction, where Hazel refused to shake her hand due to the pandemic. I dont think their protest was actually about the masks originally. The signs saying "our lives matter" indicates it was probably linked (however tenuously!) to the BLM movement and calling for Hazels resignation due to her stance on the George Nkencho shooting and the comments she made.

(Not posting that in defense of the "protesters" btw, or saying i agree, but I think the mask thing was just a tangent they went off on, rather than the reason they were protesting in the first place. The whole thing confused me as well, especially their comments about her wearing a mask protects her and not them....?! )

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

30km on a large city street isn't about safety. It's about making the activity of driving so unenjoyable you give it up.

Chu is a nasty little thug. And probably as deeply unhappy with life as every other leftist.
    You're right. This is an unacceptable oppression of the human being. Since the dawn of time, man has loved the open road. Sure didn't Michael Collins himself drive a big V8 and do the Dublin to Cork run in two hours?

Get a grip of yourself and go live in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

On Newstalk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,452 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

biko wrote: »
    One's home is one's safe zone. It's not ok to show up at people's homes.

“ The Mansion House has been the official residence of the Lord Mayor of Dublin since 1715 and was also the meeting place of the Dáil Éireann from 1919 until 1922. It has witnessed many historic events including the formation of the new Irish State and the signing of the Anglo-Irish Treaty.”

It’s not like the mayor has been doxxed it seems like free speech activity to petition the mayor. Albeit for strange reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Well, she isn't little.

Apart from that the post stands. She is a deeply unpleasant character. Race baiting, aggressive, ignorant, disrespectful, she must be 40 odd and is still stuck in the same student union mode as Ruth and Paul and the like.

Classy.....

• Advertisement

She said the only reason people would want her to resign is because she is a person of colour. Thats a nice card to play for a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,452 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

paw patrol wrote: »
    are protests not allowed at the mansion house ?

Seems a bit odd to say that considering it's a official building for the lord mayor - it's not a private residence. Of course, the lord mayor lives there but there is a lot more that happens there in an official capacity

Is the aras out of bounds too for a protest?

It’s a lot like saying “these monsters protested at the home of president Trump”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Hazel Chu would rather I lived in Mullingar and commuted to work in Dublin by electric bus, and the house I currently live in be occupied by former asylum seekers for whom employment should be a take it or leave it option.

For all her talk of racism on her background I'd half think of all migrant groups she would dislike the Chinese more than any. Their hard work, aversion to welfare dependency and probable anti communism would be at odds with the victim politics she sells.

Plus in the US Asians would constitute a good chunk of the small business owners who were looted by the BLM mobs. Chu would regard them as an honorary white establishment.
    30km on a large city street isn't about safety. It's about making the activity of driving so unenjoyable you give it up.

Chu is a nasty little thug. And probably as deeply unhappy with life as every other leftist.
    Well, she isn't little.

Apart from that the post stands. She is a deeply unpleasant character. Race baiting, aggressive, ignorant, disrespectful, she must be 40 odd and is still stuck in the same student union mode as Ruth and Paul and the like.

I'm lost for words on this.

A watchlist is probably the best place for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

WrenBoy wrote: »
    She said the only reason people would want her to resign is because she is a person of colour. Thats a nice card to play for a politician.

unfortunately, it's also an accurate card.

bollox. Politicians get criticised. regardless of colour.

• Advertisement

Issues here,

1) Her role as Maylor carries no real powers so why is she placing children in a creche? Is she really a front line worker?

2) She has 2 homes and yet claims to be Green. What is her Carbon footprint I Wonder?

3) Could she have not allowed some homeless family to occupy one of the homes?

4) She does not like a protest? Well sorry, that's a fundamental basis of our democracy. Perhaps she would prefer Communist China?

5) Why are groups allowed to gather? Are we not in a lockdown?

Lol.

Oh wait... You aren't joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Her race has little to do with people having an issue with her, her "race baiting" is what most people have an issue with. Even the term "person of color" is American imported nonsense, pushed by the racially obsessed.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

bollox. Politicians get criticised. regardless of colour.

it's not bollox, and it's not criticism when you set out to be a racist and make racist comments, it's racism.

it's not bollox, and it's not criticism when you set out to be a racist and make racist comments, it's racism.

Who mentioned race? Oh, the Lord Mayor did, thus it must be Racism. :rolleyes:

Like that other race hustler, Ebun, it's racist to be offered a drink of Blackcurrant.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

Hazel has made an entire career out of it. If Hazel didn't play the race card, she'd just be an uninteresting, bland, same-as-everyone-else, minor politician that nobody has heard of, who would appear in the local paper every couple of weeks pointing at a pothole.
    Instead, because she has made a career as Ireland's foremost victim of racist discrimination, and number one target of Ireland's huge and powerful far-right nazi movement, she has become Lord Mayor of the capital city, and is the darling of the national media.
    Whatever else Hazel is, she's no fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

That's a real scummy thing for her to say.

If you want to see racism everywhere, you'll find it. And if you cant find it, you can invent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

3) Could she have not allowed some homeless family to occupy one of the homes?
    F**kin hell.

There's legitimate criticism, and plenty of that can be sent Chu's way.

And then there's just flailing around for anything and only coming up with utter horsesh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Well, she isn't little.

A SD TD on the CB show this morning, 'the gathering', said Roderick O Gorman tried to use the race card against Roisin Shorthall also when she asked about banning flights and 14 days quarantines etc. He's since apologised to her however.

And in a different case, I read this morning that York University is going to ban the use of the three monkeys ie see, hear and speak no evil as apparently they deem it racist too. Despite the fact that the author states that it's use stems from a 7th century Japanese Buddist reference in which monkeys are portrayed as a sort of deity and messenger for the gods.
    Perhaps some people are far too quick to use the race card to suit their own ends.

• Advertisement

If you want to see racism everywhere, you'll find it. And if you cant find it, you can invent it.

that's, so weird.

osarusan wrote: »
    F**kin hell.

There's legitimate criticism, and plenty of that can be sent Chu's way.

And then there's just flailing around for anything and only coming up with utter horsesh!t.

So you think it's ok for Hazel and her Husband who are Both Green Party members to dictate to the rest of us whilst they live it up in 2 houses!

Did she get rid of the official Lord Mayors car and swap it for a bike, did she heck.

Do as we say, not as we do.

that's, so weird.

Weird?

Sorry, are you not accepting someone's equality and using the word "weird" as some sort of attack on their individuality?

I demand you take that hate word back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭gw80

that's, so weird.

Nope, its accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Weird?

Sorry, are you not accepting someone's equality and using the word "weird" as some sort of attack on their individuality?

I demand you take that hate word back.

#NOMOREWEIRDOPHOBIA

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

gw80 wrote: »
    Nope, its accurate.

how?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Since when did Chu have input towards government policy on mask wearing?

How did she come to the conclusion they were 'far right protestors'?

Did she just assume their political persuasion?

It is, so anytime a person of colour in politics gets negative feedback from the public they are the victim of racism. Please.
    These anti-maskers are idiots and some of them may well be racist (who knows) but you've just decided that they are racist just because Chu is the target of the protest.

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Since when did Chu have input towards government policy on mask wearing?

She doesn't I can only assume they chose her because there was a protest scheduled for there already that was co-opted by the anti-maskers plus its big publicity for their "movement"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement