Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App to close all apps fully and go to home screen

Options
  • 22-01-2021 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

This is a question on behalf of my elderly mother.

She cannot come to terms with her phone as every time she uses it, there's a different starting point. For example (and it's not just contacts), if she has looked at a contact, when she closes contacts or hits the home button and opens it again later, it's still on that same contact, whereas she would like that it is at the starting point again ie where she can search. She cannot figure out the double click and swipe. Or if she creates a text to me and sends, then comes back to send a text to another person, it's still showing my texts. All these things sound so trivial to a young minded person but seem to be very difficult for an older mind.

She uses the TouchScreen Home button which brings you to the home screen, that's great but it doesn't close all the apps. So ideally I'd like a combined function. Does anyone know how this might be achieved?

There's no point telling me how easy this all is as it seems the easiest thing to me to close an app or hit the small blue greater than sign to bring you back - that is just not clicking with my mother. We've spent hours trying to teach her how to send a photo but she can't manage it when I'm not there to help.

Thanks!

Wishbone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

wishbone wrote: »
    This is a question on behalf of my elderly mother.

She cannot come to terms with her phone as every time she uses it, there's a different starting point. For example (and it's not just contacts), if she has looked at a contact, when she closes contacts or hits the home button and opens it again later, it's still on that same contact, whereas she would like that it is at the starting point again ie where she can search. She cannot figure out the double click and swipe. Or if she creates a text to me and sends, then comes back to send a text to another person, it's still showing my texts. All these things sound so trivial to a young minded person but seem to be very difficult for an older mind.

She uses the TouchScreen Home button which brings you to the home screen, that's great but it doesn't close all the apps. So ideally I'd like a combined function. Does anyone know how this might be achieved?

There's no point telling me how easy this all is as it seems the easiest thing to me to close an app or hit the small blue greater than sign to bring you back - that is just not clicking with my mother. We've spent hours trying to teach her how to send a photo but she can't manage it when I'm not there to help.

Thanks!

Wishbone.

What model does she have, does to have home button?( edit.. saw that it has)

There used to be a way that you held the power button until the slid to turn off appeared, and then hold down the home button until the phone went back to home screen and then all apps are closed.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wishbone

What model does she have, does to have home button?( edit.. saw that it has)

There used to be a way that you held the power button until the slid to turn off appeared, and then hold down the home button until the phone went back to home screen and then all apps are closed.

Thanks Deep Thought, It's an iPhone 7, doesn't appear to work.
    Thanks though!
    Wishbone

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

From a bit of digging around, it seems the only way to do it with software is if the phone is Jailbroken.

Apple seem to make a feature of the fact that apps are "suspended" in the state you left them in when you move on to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wishbone

From a bit of digging around, it seems the only way to do it with software is if the phone is Jailbroken.

Apple seem to make a feature of the fact that apps are "suspended" in the state you left them in when you move on to something else.

thanks guys for all the time and advice!

Advertisement