Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to work , limited stock available.

Options
  • 22-01-2021 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Looking to get a bike on bike to work scheme.
    I would be commuting a couple of miles in good weather and only using it for short cycles at weekends.

Not big into cycling but looking to keep a bit fit.

Got recommended a few bikes by the couple of bike shops I visited. Stock is fairly limited

Coyote absolut around 400
    Vercelli meteor around 400
    Giant bike that is around 600 to 700 euro.
    Marida speeder hybrid around 800 euro
    Bianchie c sport 849 euro

I am after a hybrid. I obviously don't want to get anything too expensive as it would be lost on me, or something cheap as I want to make best use of the scheme.l want to buy something long lasting.

Any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Coyote absolut around 400 Heavy, bad brakes and rubbish
    Vercelli meteor around 400 Bad brakes
    Giant bike that is around 600 to 700 euro. - not enough info to give any advice
    Marida speeder hybrid around 800 euro - ticks all your boxes
    Bianchie c sport 849 euro - ticks all your boxes

Thin out the options for you

CramCycle wrote: »
    Thin out the options for you

Just to follow up on this, since i can't see the Giant, it leaves the Merida or the Bianchi, based on the price, I think I know which models they are (even is one above or below, they are fair value). I would pick the one that fits your style as there is nothing separating them. With the bike to work, its a little over €400 for the year, or about €35 a month. Go for the one you like the look of best as the €50 price difference isn't worth being stuck with one you don't like as much. Also everyone and their mother has a Giant or Trek as a commuter/hybrid, be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

While there is nothing wrong with any of those bikes they are probably a bit over complicated. Eg. The Bianchi has front suspension.

I would recommend a visit to dutchbikeshop.ie
    Something low maintenance with mudguards, lights and rack already included would be perfect for what you describe. Great for everyday use and perfectly fine to take for a longer spin every once in a while.

While there is nothing wrong with any of those bikes they are probably a bit over complicated. Eg. The Bianchi has front suspension.
    Are you sure, most of the versions I have seen it doesn't, certainly the ones at the €850 price point. If it is the suspension version, run away (weight without benefit) but the other versions are good: https://www.bianchi.com/bikes/city-fitness/c-sport-city-fitness/
    I would recommend a visit to dutchbikeshop.ie
    Something low maintenance with mudguards, lights and rack already included would be perfect for what you describe. Great for everyday use and perfectly fine to take for a longer spin every once in a while.
    Really good service in there, although I think they may have closed their B+M shop, email the owner if you want to as she is really nice, maybe there is a way to get a test ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

CramCycle wrote: »
    Are you sure, most of the versions I have seen it doesn't, certainly the ones at the €850 price point. If it is the suspension version, run away (weight without benefit) but the other versions are good: https://www.bianchi.com/bikes/city-fitness/c-sport-city-fitness/

Really good service in there, although I think they may have closed their B+M shop, email the owner if you want to as she is really nice, maybe there is a way to get a test ride.

Maybe it was a slightly different version the search I did returned:

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Bianchi/C-Sport-Cross-2-G-Acera-Disc-Hybrid-Bike-2021/S3W2?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&co=IRL&cu=EUR&glCountry=IE&id=1311415&ds_eid=700000001846006&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=IE_EN_Profit_Google_Shopping_All+Users_Brand_Bikes%26Frames_All+Device&ds_cid=71700000067581206&ds_ag=All+Products&ds_agid=58700005918522561&ds_k=PRODUCT_GROUP&ds_kid=92700054086505468&ds_kids=p54086505468&gclsrc=ds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I was buying a hybrid bike last year and as I know a lad working in local bike shop I asked him for a bit of advice.

At that time the stock coming to their shop was so low that the only bike he could recommend to me was Kelly's (Slovakian or Czech brand I think).

I didn't mind going up to 800 euro, but this Cliff series at around 500 ticked all the boxes.

I hope the supply now is a little better so You might have a better option to choose in that price bracket, but must say it is well built and not overcomplicated. V brakes rather than cheap disc brakes and works just fine. Well built and comfortable.

I know you don't mind spending a little extra as it makes sense with bike to work scheme, so just throwing an alternative brand out there ;)

Not sure what other think of kellys bikes, I found mine good quality and value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

If you're not big into cycling, then buy a good second hand bike. Loads to choose from on Adverts or Donedeal and prices from €100. Just use your common sense and instincts when it comes to buying a second hand bike, not only in respect of its condition but in case its a stolen bike. Buying at someone's home address is a good start, ask them if they have the original receipt for the bike etc.

There's a shortage of supply with bikes globally and prices are going up with long delivery times. A lot of people jump on the bike to work scheme, get locked into a 12 month salary deduction arrangement but then quickly fall out of love with cycling leaving the bike gathering dust but them still locked into the salary deduction arrangement. Buying a second hand bike will suit you better as its cheaper than a new bike, you won't be locked into a 12 month salary deduction and as a used bike has already depreciated, you can sell it on for almost what you paid for it, unlike new bikes that can depreciate as much as new cars do!

Advertisement