Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live Gold raised to 120 a year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Fairly out of the box type of announcement for modern days. Raise awareness with shock value and then sell the story you want heard. The whole thing was a calculated click bait approach to their news.
    Worked perfectly, everyone is thinking and talking about it.

Ye I was thinking the same. I think it was calculated and they were never going to up the price. They are back in the gaming news, you don't need gold to play free games now (as it should be) but now everyone knows it and they look like they are listening to fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah I'm not buying the viral marketing angle. This has damaged confidence and I cant be the only one who thinks so. It definitely gives the impression that they're looking at ways to increase revenue and now they cant do it with Gold, I'll be keeping an eye for where they do try to get it and hence I'm hesitant on my planned XSX purchase. . . .may turn into a PS purchase

I'm a very casual gamer. I have GPU only because of the cheap conversion. I really dont get the value from it and would never have a monthly sub to it. If they take the workaround away I'll just stick with Gold. Are they still getting rid of the 12 months Gold subs?

theteal wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not buying the viral marketing angle. This has damaged confidence and I cant be the only one who thinks so. It definitely gives the impression that they're looking at ways to increase revenue and now they cant do it with Gold, I'll be keeping an eye for where they do try to get it and hence I'm hesitant on my planned XSX purchase. . . .may turn into a PS purchase

I'm a very casual gamer. I have GPU only because of the cheap conversion. I really dont get the value from it and would never have a monthly sub to it. If they take the workaround away I'll just stick with Gold. Are they still getting rid of the 12 months Gold subs?
    Nobody expects the xbl to gpu conversion to last. Personally I'm very surprised its lasted thus long. They know there will be a load of people, probably millions, who did the conversion as soon as it was available and are coming to the end of their 3 years stack soon. I've done 2 yrs and then another 3 yrs, so I'll have had 5 years cheap GPU by the time I'm finished. That's completely bonkers and there's no surprises they're looking for a way out of this without backlash.

I think they expected people to say forget xbl and get GPU. The reality is nobody cares about Xbl. The real reason for the outcry is because as I've said millions are now approaching the end of their 3 year stack and want another 3 years. That will be disastrous for Microsoft if all those subs are allowed to roll into another 3 years cheap gpu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

They've done an about face on this according to kotaku and others.

My GPU is up in April. I threw three years of Gold into an oline shopping basket last night, but didn't pull the trigger!

April feels a bit too far away yet. Alternative would be to upgrade my sons account and then I'd be the secondary account, but I was hoping to hold out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Total PR stunt here!
    Double the price of XBL, when they saw the backlash Sony got after going from $50 to $60 before?
    Never going to happen.
    Also, it was widely reported that they were going to drop the XBL requirement for FTP games too.

Call me a cynic, but this was planned!
    When I saw the announcement, the first thing I thought wasn't worry at having to pay more, it was "when's this going to be retracted then?" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Nobody expects the xbl to gpu conversion to last. Personally I'm very surprised its lasted thus long. They know there will be a load of people, probably millions, who did the conversion as soon as it was available and are coming to the end of their 3 years stack soon. I've done 2 yrs and then another 3 yrs, so I'll have had 5 years cheap GPU by the time I'm finished. That's completely bonkers and there's no surprises they're looking for a way out of this without backlash.

I think they expected people to say forget xbl and get GPU. The reality is nobody cares about Xbl. The real reason for the outcry is because as I've said millions are now approaching the end of their 3 year stack and want another 3 years. That will be disastrous for Microsoft if all those subs are allowed to roll into another 3 years cheap gpu.

Yeah I expect the conversion workaround to go at some stage and that's when I'll revert to Gold by the usual reasonably priced channels. If those channels cost £120 a year, they can feck right off.
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    Total PR stunt here!
    Double the price of XBL, when they saw the backlash Sony got after going from $50 to $60 before?
    Never going to happen.
    Also, it was widely reported that they were going to drop the XBL requirement for FTP games too.

Call me a cynic, but this was planned!
    When I saw the announcement, the first thing I thought wasn't worry at having to pay more, it was "when's this going to be retracted then?" :)

Yeah I've seen that theory mentioned. However, the fact they had sent the new cards with the new prices out to retailers already make me question that theorys veracity

Advertisement