Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google threatens to pull out of Australia

Options
  • 22-01-2021 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭

Hmmm. The Australian Government has demanded that Google passes on some of it's profits to Australian media.
    I don't get this. It's like a Government demanding that a building firm pass on some of it's profits to a department store because the store is struggling.

https://news.yahoo.com/google-threatens-shut-down-search-080849193.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Australia sounds like the smartest country in the world at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

If you worked all month, yet someone else got paid for your effort...would you be happy with that?

Screw these tech companies, practically no redeeming qualities at all. Advertising salesmen, nothing more, lots less!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,681 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Gradius wrote: »
    If you worked all month, yet someone else got paid for your effort...would you be happy with that?

Screw these tech companies, practically no redeeming qualities at all. Advertising salesmen, nothing more, lots less!

I've no idea what this post means.

If they are advertising salesmen... who is getting the money from the products bought?
    Who is paying for the advertising and why?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I've no idea what this post means.

If they are advertising salesmen... who is getting the money from the products bought?
    Who is paying for the advertising and why?

They sell advertising space and your privacy to make money.

Hence "advertising salesmen".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Hmmm. The Australian Government has demanded that Google passes on some of it's profits to Australian media.
    I don't get this. It's like a Government demanding that a building firm pass on some of it's profits to a department store because the store is struggling.

https://news.yahoo.com/google-threatens-shut-down-search-080849193.html

A lot of what Google does involves information scraping, journalists often spend days and weeks researching a story, verifying details, double checking , triple checking, and eventually the story is passed by legal and published on the publication website, then seconds later news aggregation websites - I believe in some cases powered/facilitated by google.

So ... Yes, I agree that Google should pay the people that create news (if my recollection is correct they are supposed to be doing this in Europe soon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

They sell advertising space and your privacy to make money.

Hence "advertising salesmen".

Maybe I am missing something here, but why does Australian media deserve anything from Googles pie?
    Because people use links on Google to get to free news websites?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

A lot of what Google does involves information scraping, journalists often spend days and weeks researching a story, verifying details, double checking , triple checking, and eventually the story is passed by legal and published on the publication website, then seconds later news aggregation websites - I believe in some cases powered/facilitated by google.

So ... Yes, I agree that Google should pay the people that create news (if my recollection is correct they are supposed to be doing this in Europe soon)

you're right. There needs to be some new technology where you have to account for who owns each piece of content on your website, all text and images should be properly tagged with who paid for it and it should be very easy to trace who did the first copy pasting. and if that info isn't there then it should be penalised heavily on its placement on search engines

• Registered Users Posts: 83,453 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Australia should be careful - google's pull-out game is strong.

A bit like the anger when the spinning jenny replaced manual workers so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭francois

Call their bluff. The French have already made them cough up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭francois

A bit like the anger when the spinning jenny replaced manual workers so.

Poor analogy.

Maybe I am missing something here, but why does Australian media deserve anything from Googles pie?
    Because people use links on Google to get to free news websites?:confused:

An actual journalist creates a piece of journalism, say.

Google and the usual suspects take that journalism for free.

People use Google to read the journalism, and the journalist loses out.

Google uses the journalists work to attract people, then off the basis of viewership, they then sell advertising.

Is that clear enough?

Leeches basically, like all these "tech" ideas such as just eat and the like...they profit by inserting themselves in-between workers and consumers, with pretty much fook-all benefit to anyone besides themselves.

An actual journalist creates a piece of journalism, say.

Google and the usual suspects take that journalism for free.

People use Google to read the journalism, and the journalist loses out.

Google uses the journalists work to attract people, then off the basis of viewership, they then sell advertising.

Is that clear enough?

Leeches basically, like all these "tech" ideas such as just eat and the like...they profit by inserting themselves in-between workers and consumers, with pretty much fook-all benefit to anyone besides themselves.

Not really. All that journalists need to do to find out their true worth is by placing a paywall around their site. If the paywalled newspaper then has a link in Google or other places on the internet, then they will quickly know how good they are as journalists if the money starts rolling in or not.

Not really. All that journalists need to do to find out their true worth is by placing a paywall around their site. If the paywalled newspaper then has a link in Google or other places on the internet, then they will quickly know how good they are as journalists if the money starts rolling in or not.

Good idea!

Let's put a paywall around Google and prevent them from profiting off other people...and then we'll know their true worth.

You'll find out quick enough that something that produces nothing is, in actual fact, worth nothing.

Leeches.

Good idea!

Let's put a paywall around Google and prevent them from profiting off other people...and then we'll know their true worth.

You'll find out quick enough that something that produces nothing is, in actual fact, worth nothing.

Leeches.

Or give manual workers free shares in the spinning jenny. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,681 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

When I search on google and click the link to a news article, should the destination site give a kickback to Google or be delisted?
    There's times when I just scan the results, balanced out by the times I follow the link through to the full article.

Good luck finding anything with Bing!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement