Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore the Brighton of Ireland

• 22-01-2021 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭

Currently watching Nationwide which is featuring Tramore. One chap said back in the day Tramore was considered the Brighton of Ireland. My memory of Tramore is sleeping in some concrete structure on the beach after a load of cans !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Not many places to go in Ireland if you want arcades and fairground rides at a seaside resort unlike UK were most seaside resorts are full of them, good or bad thing, don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

living here all my life! We have become known for the "amusements" not a bad thing in many ways but definitely a lot more to the now town then just the seasonal type trade a brighton has!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Bray, Tramore, Bettystown, Salthill and Bundoran all similar places full of tacky amusement arcades, slots, ice cream/bucket and spade shops and the smell of chippers who've been using the same oil since the 1980s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

It's a very different place now and I thought the Nationwide show was excellent in promoting an alternative view of the town.

Thought the drone footage was fabulous and the way the programme was put together showed there is so much more to Tramore than the amusements that weren't even mentioned.

Great work by all those involved who seem to have only one agenda - make Tramore a better place to live.

And through out this lockdown, I am so lucky to be living in Tramore with the beach just a stone's throw away!

Happy Days!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭SeanieW1977

To be fair i think tramore has evolved massively from when i was a child out here. It was very much a seasonal tourist orientated town.

It now is the second biggest urban area in the county, 12,000 + people here, we arent exactly solely a commuter town either, their is industry locating here Nearform being the best example!

Proximity to the city is a help - town has its own TD and MEP too so the brighton tag is a little unfair! think its a much more diversified economy now from the one i grew up in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

To be fair i think tramore has evolved massively from when i was a child out here. It was very much a seasonal tourist orientated town.

It now is the second biggest urban area in the county, 12,000 + people here, we arent exactly solely a commuter town either, their is industry locating here Nearform being the best example!

Proximity to the city is a help - town has its own TD and MEP too so the brighton tag is a little unfair! think its a much more diversified economy now from the one i grew up in!

In 2019, Brighton topped the list for the happiest places to live and work in.

Might not be a bad place to aspire to be like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Bring back the train, make Tramore great again.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Bring back the train, make Tramore great again.

People in this county wouldn't want to pay for it. They would be grumbling about the cost of the journey!

They would expect to use it for nothing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

People in this county wouldn't want to pay for it. They would be grumbling about the cost of the journey!

They would expect to use it for nothing!

That came out of the blue, is there something you would like to share?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

living here all my life! We have become known for the "amusements" not a bad thing in many ways but definitely a lot more to the now town then just the seasonal type trade a brighton has!

You’ve obviously never been to Brighton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

We stayed in the majestic hotel in tramore for a long weekend 3 years ago. Nice hotel, rooms with sea view balconies etc. Great weather so the day times were good. Unfortunately nothing really to do at night. Limited restaurants even at peak season and No entertainment other than drinking. We were saying How it could be like Brighton or even Brighton’s sleepy sister Eastbourne, if only there were investment in it. I’d still consider retirement there in the future, possibly.

Yeah, Brighton is a great town!
    Very lively, very diverse

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

That came out of the blue, is there something you would like to share?

Ah I'm sorry Tom! I'll have to keep a lid on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,971 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I always thought Tramore modeled itself on Blackpool?

I can never see it as being as up market as Brighton.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tailend

Why are there so few houses for sale in Tramore ? Is the property market very slow ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tailend wrote:
    Why are there so few houses for sale in Tramore ? Is the property market very slow ?

Nationwide issue, serious lack of supply, and the government is throwing more money at people to purchase, so sellers are saying, 'hang on here, if I wait just a little longer, I 'll get a few more quid', everyone wins!

Advertisement